New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,029 of 1029
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on the OOTS goblin predicament

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Particularly since, given his goals at the time, his meatgrinder approach was working, and he changed his tactics (to other still viable tactics) because of a crisis of morality rather than any tactical concern.
    Hmm, his meatgrinder approach was working in bringing down the defenses of Azure City, but it was keeping Redcloak himself outside of the city, which was highly significant because without clerical support Xykon was getting smacked around hard by Soon and the other ghost-martyrs. If Redcloak hadn't charged and had been delayed a few dozen rounds more it's entirely possible that Xykon would have been destroyed (admittedly temporary). In that case Redcloak probably gets defeated by the Ghost Martyrs as well - Soon almost beats both of them prior to Miko destroying the Gate - and the whole final stage of the battle unfolds very differently.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Hmm, his meatgrinder approach was working in bringing down the defenses of Azure City, but it was keeping Redcloak himself outside of the city, which was highly significant because without clerical support Xykon was getting smacked around hard by Soon and the other ghost-martyrs. If Redcloak hadn't charged and had been delayed a few dozen rounds more it's entirely possible that Xykon would have been destroyed (admittedly temporary). In that case Redcloak probably gets defeated by the Ghost Martyrs as well - Soon almost beats both of them prior to Miko destroying the Gate - and the whole final stage of the battle unfolds very differently.
    Heck, if even Redcloak notices Haley's arrows and pauses to fire a spell (whether or not it kills anyone), Tsukiko manages to get him to pause for a minute more, or anything that would take up more than 20 seconds would probably have led to Xykon being destroyed, and then Redcloak is toast against the much-larger amount of Ghost Martyrs.

Another way things have gone differently: if Redcloak was pissed off enough by Tsukiko, and replied with Harm before the Blade Barrier, then he probably wouldn't have been able to heal Xykon enough to make it through the match.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-11 at 09:25 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

So yeah, the only reason Team Evil DIDN’T get their asses handed to them is basically The Plot. And if an epic sorcerer Lich and a near-epic cleric almost got smoked, so would most other casters.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    So yeah, the only reason Team Evil DIDN’T get their asses handed to them is basically The Plot. And if an epic sorcerer Lich and a near-epic cleric almost got smoked, so would most other casters.
    In that scenario; I should point out that had it been RC and Xykon against the Sapphire Guard any sooner, Xykon would have known to use more appropriate skills and they would have cleaned most of them up no problem.
    Having someone use a spell that has a 50% fail rate significantly hampers their combat potential, after all.

But yes, I agree with the general idea that, given the circumstances, even if Team Evil winning the war was set in stone actually securing the gate was highly unlikely. The "we'll come back in a few weeks and crush the hobgoblins" idea would have been realistically practical with ambushes from thwe Azurites and no trio of high-level spellcasters sitting on top of the throne.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-11 at 10:03 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

In that scenario; I should point out that had it been RC and Xykon against the Sapphire Guard any sooner, Xykon would have known to use more appropriate skills and they would have cleaned most of them up no problem.
    I don’t think Bluff would have done much.

Having someone use a spell that has a 50% fail rate significantly hampers their combat potential, after all.
    Hmm… does he even have anything besides Xykon’s Moderately Escapable Forcecage(which doesn’t seem to block off the floor) and Magic Missile for that?

But yes, I agree with the general idea that, given the circumstances, even if Team Evil winning the war was set in stone actually securing the gate was highly unlikely. The "we'll come back in a few weeks and crush the hobgoblins" idea would have been realistically practical with ambushes from thwe Azurites and no trio of high-level spellcasters sitting on top of the throne.
    …Trio?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t think Bluff would have done much.
    Didn't you see what that guy said about Xykon bluffing the Sapphire Guard into thinking they're murderers?

…Trio?
    Xykon and Redcloak, as well as to a lesser extent Tsukiko once Hinjo started receiving reports from resistance groups (I'm guessing after they found a Sending scroll/made arrangements with someone outside to do so)
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-11 at 10:13 PM.

-Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't you see what that guy said about Xykon bluffing the Sapphire Guard into thinking they're murderers?
    Please. No.

Xykon and Redcloak, as well as to a lesser extent Tsukiko once Hinjo started receiving reports from resistance groups (I'm guessing after they found a Sending scroll/made arrangements with someone outside to do so)
    Huh, didn’t think she was really that high level. Mid-level maybe. Has she ever used anything over a 5th?

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, didn’t think she was really that high level. Mid-level maybe. Has she ever used anything over a 5th?
    Her Reanimated Gladiators imply the use of at least Create Undead, since no skeleton or zombie is going up against O-Chul. That's a 6th level. 14th level at that time (3/3/8) is not unreasonable, since by that point Redcloak was 17th (he first uses implosion crushing the resistance and mentions it as a new spell level).

Characters in OOTS are extremely un-optimized which makes it easy to forget this has been a story about characters who are on the upper half of the level ladder for almost it's entirety. The benchmark being V casting Disintegrate against the Young Adult Black dragon all the way back in comic #186, implying they were at least level 11 at that time.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

Upper mid-level, yeah. Still a big threat though, or at least enough of one to be noteworthy.
    I thought she was like level 12 to 15 or something? I can't remember, but she's a significant challenge against Haley and she had to have taken multiple levels in multiple classes to become a Mystic Theurge.

Also, is it
    Low level: 1-8ish
    Mid level: 9-14ish
    High level: 15-19?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-11 at 11:47 PM.

-Squire Doodad