New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Misdirection of Magicians (IC)

Victor (with Spycrist at the top of servants' stairs)

Victor finds the fine flask's contents to be a harmonious brandy: notes of oak, spices, and crystalized fruit with a lovingly long aftertaste of cinnamon and vanilla.

Spycrist responds, "Aye, yeah, the low road'll do that, alright." Screwing up his face in thought, he continues, "Who? That toothy woman? Seen her 'round, time-to-time. She's fiesty, sure, but harmless. She can actually make the Lady laugh, really laugh, like she used to. That's a thing been in short supply since the elf lord passed.

"Thing is, thing is it ain't been goin' so well here."
    The old man takes back his flask for another snort, then mournfully continues, "I'll not bore ya with all the copper-counting details, Vic... You know it's funny, I'd never imagined you be one to show up?

"Anyways, I was saying, the Lady's in something o' a rut, and what's worse she got this Duke—a real shark—she got him pursuing her this whole last year. Just wants her money..."
    At that Spycrist does laugh softly, but it quickly turns into a wheezy cough. "It crossed my mind that maybe while you're here enjoying the creature comforts, maybe you'd do me the kindness of making this Duke look not so good to her Ladyship; you know, make em look foolish, or get him mad and make him show off his temper—he got one, I know, but he hides it good. He just needs a little push to throw up them alarm bells in the Lady's head.

"Whatcha say? I mean, back when you was a greenhorn the Lady was awful kind to ya, when she didn't need to be, if'n I remember."
    Spycrist offers up his flask of exquisite liquor again, along with a knowing expression.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kirsch's eyes widen slightly for a second when Megamax performs her little maneuver and a patch of scales darkens to a dull bluish hue, but he is quick to regain his composure. Figuring that the little insult must have been aimed at Victor and Victor alone, he even permits himself a brief, mildly amused smile.
    The fact that she actually tries to warn him of what he already knows (much unlike Victor who did his best to undermine his efforts) comes to him as a surprise as well, albeit as a pleasant one. Of that, I am painfully aware. he replies quickly, ignoring the first question about this Kotoba fellow (whoever that might be), before he turns his snout towards Megamax to whisper a few more words onto her shoulder. As is the steward of the two of you. He exhibited a very keen interest in your current whereabouts. I had the pleasure of conversing with him earlier today. the lizard adds with a „but no more of this” handwave.
    When the noble demon changes the subject, Kirsch nods along politely. No wonder. he remarks at last, without making it clear which part of Megamax's comment he responds to. In actual fact, I did not have the occasion to meet the kind Lady in person either for quite some time now. he continues in a smooth, conversational tone, trying hard to hide his lack of genuine enthusiasm regarding the prospect of catching up with Emalia.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-17 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Â.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Inclining his head in a respectful nod, Victor grins wickedly. "You tell me to do something fun as if it were a chore? Happily, my good man. Assuming of course, you'll provide me the details of the man in question, and perhaps make an effort to remind the good Lady that... hrm... that I'm an admirable fellow should the man make a bigger scene than expected. Would hate to be cast in a negative light while doing this service without someone the Lady admires speaking up for me when it counts. Fair enough?" He considers the servants downstairs, and a twinkle of mischief dances in his eyes. "Please tell me that I can get a look at this man, or a portrait of him at the very least, before he gets a look at me."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Victor is considering/planning on disguising himself (Hat of Disguise +10, plus his +11 Disguise Bonus) as the man in question to shout and belittle the servants whenever he can, to the point they'd want petty vengeance on him to help needle the man over the course of the visit, and/or word to get back to the Lady about his reprehensible treatment of her servants. Laying the tinder down thick before he himself directly provides the final spark that will trigger the fire of true anger in the man.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Victor (with Spycrist at the top of Servants' stairs)

Spycrist waves Victor's concerns away, "Don't you worry none on that, the Lady won't let none come to harm under her roof. Not now, not in a place like this. And if'n you seen him, that bastard-steward, the snow elf, he'll not let anything fuss about these little gatherings either. Not in plain view and such. No, no, I could'na think the Duke'll actually harm ya... probably, surely, yeah, surely..." Spycrist rubs his bald head and carries the motion to the back of his neck, staring off in thought. "Yeah, you'll be fine."

At the notion of an image of the Duke: "Och, I got nothing like that... BUT tonight, you'll get a real good look at him at tonight's gala-thing, take his measure, then set to work on him tomorrow—the list o' activities for the guests tomorrow is long as mah arm before the real banquet begin."

Spycrist finds his fancy flask empty when he goes to shake its contents, but ever-prepared, he produces and less-adorned flask from a back pocket. After taking a swig from that he continues, "Though, if'n you wanted to get ahead o' the game, I know where you could spend some time chattin' up the Duke. Between o'rival and first-night gala, he goes down to the guest spa: steam, message, hearty scrubbin', all them sorts of things. You might find yourself a stall next to his and get a sense o' the man."

Spycrist slaps his head, "Och, how are we gonna get ya to your room? The second floor is gonna be teemin' with servants. I can probably explain gettin' myself out this'a way—" to which Spycrist points at the door at the top of the stairs leading to the battlements, "—but can ya get your way back down through the kitchens? If'n I give ya direction can you make it through the servant corridors to the guest rooms? I got one in mind for ya, next to your friend, the lizard-wizard, and a few other folks you may know who want this thing I'm talking to ya about to go the same way..."

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Kirsch (walking back to the Western Salon)

Rounding the corner, the three magicians run into (for the majority of them) a familiar face: Duke Orbal, walking in the opposite direction. He appears quite different. The Duke is less aristocratic now that he is wearing what amounts to a formal bathrobe and slippers with a bundle of personal toiletries under one arm, but at the same time much larger: without all the heavy furs and velvet brocade and tall, riding boots artificially inflating his size, you can see that he is in fact quite a large man with broad shoulders and narrow waist, standing a full half-a-foot taller than the tallest of your party.

"We meet again," says the Duke with a calm smile. His eyes roll over Clytemnestra and settle on Megamax arm-in-arm with Kirsch. "More exotic faces!" Orbal gives Megamax a look that is loaded with implication, which he does not in the least hide from the others.

Show
    Spycrist did mention there is a "Spa" at the end of the long corridor which contains the guest suites, near where the servant corridor from the South Wing comes out into the West Wing.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-06-18 at 02:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Removing his haversack and putting it on backwards, Victor looks quite odd until he tips his hat, and clothes suddenly shift to match that of the servant livery and the haversack changes to look like a pile of clean monographed linens that he's carrying while his facial features change to be a bland average looking man. The now bland-looking average man flashes a smile. "I think directions will be more than sufficient."

Show
    FYI: Short, because I'm leaving for work

Using Hat of Disguise to change his appearance. In case it's needed: Disguise Check (1d20+21)[34] to pass as a servant & Bluff Check (1d20+16)[22] to look like I'm busy doing important work to hopefully make it to the indicated rooms without being waylayed.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

6. - Top - End - #66

If Kirsch had eyebrows, he would now raise one. Instead the lizard only gives the towering figure a mildly curious look. To you, perhaps. he replies to Orbal's bathrobe somewhat coldly. Telling the man he is an ignorant provincial cretin would hardly be appropriate, after all. He then turns to his companions with an inquisitive look. I take it that you are better acquainted with this fine gentleman than myself.

Show
    This might be a good time to mention that Kirsch really doesn't like being called exotic.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-18 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Minor formatting mishap.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Megamax grins back, "Duke Orbal! I'll need your secret to wearing a robe better than most mages I know." Gesturing to Kirsch, "Speaking of mages, this is an old acquaintance of mine, Kirsch of Likhten's Line. We're in for a far more cosmopolitan party this year, I've so heard." Cocking her head wryly to the side, "Though if you are headed our way for some hot chocolate, then this party will already be far more entertaining than I imagined!"

Gesturing behind Kirsch, she locks eyes with Orbal. "I do look forward to us spending some time together this evening. You can even reintroduce me to Lady, though she'll know me as Megamax the Magician." Peacocking, she pulls her face to the side. "She helped me pick that one out herself, back in Sandrine."
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Lets go for a discreet Charm Person on Orbal, for Meagan to buddy up with the wonderful bastard. She might be able to find more out about what's going on just by partying near him for the evening... And it seems he'll need help letting her bring along the 'exotics' to the group.

Conceal Spellcasting, using Sleight of Hand - (1d20+17)[21] for:
    Charm Person, DC 17 for the Duke to hear her words in the best light for the next 11 hours.

Hopefully her attempts to try and party with him are pretty in-character, but if she's pushing her luck:
    Charisma Check - (1d20+6)[12]

Maybe this is the first time Clytemnestra/Kirsch have heard her call herself that, or it's just some silly eye-roller for them that they tend to ignore, or just go along with her silliness. Have whatever fun with it as you like

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Victor (with Spycrist at the top of Servants' stairs)

Spycrist takes a look at the suddenly changed Victor and nods approvingly. "Okay, then. Good, good. All ya need do is get back down to the second floor and take that hallway ya saw me coming down. You'll hit a T-intersection and you'll take a left there. You'll pass a couple more servants' stairs, one down to the main kitchen and up to the southwest guard tower, the second's just down to the staff rooms and offices, guard station, and cells. But anyway, you pass them by. Just follow where the hallway takes ya. The door at the end will bring you back into the castle proper, the guest suite hallway. When you come out, that door there right there to your left will be the guest spa but you'll be turning right. Now, you come to a group of..." The old retainer rubs his bald head, seemingly in thought, "No, och, I got this. You'll come to a group o' three doors right side of the hall. Nessie and Meagan are in the first two, but the third should still have a key in the door: that's yours. If'n I did my job right, your lizardfolk friend should be across the hall. Got it?"

It begins to look like Spycrist is going to wait around to hear it the directions repeated back to him, but then the swan brooch he wears (the only adornment on him at all) rings once like a tiny bell and begins to softly glow. "Ahhh... great. I think I'm about to get chewed out. Don't worry I've been chewed out before." He grins wide enough Victor can spot a missing molar.

No longer waiting around to hear much of anything, Spycrist draws a keyring from a pocket and unlocks the door at the top of the servants' staircase. Opening it, a blast of frosty air and sunlight assault the dim interior illumination of the castle. As he removes the key, Victor can hear the locking mechanism in the metal door automatically reset itself. With a wave over his shoulder, Spycrist leaves Victor to his own devices. The metal door shutting fast behind the aged cohort as he scuttles down the battlements toward the soaring citadel of Allsatalos.

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Kirsch (with Duke Orbal in the guest suite hallway)

Not breaking the gaze with Megamax, Duke Orbal smiles and says, "Oh, to be sure, I will be right by Lady Emalia's side and will be more than happy..." with this he finally breaks eye contact and glances swiftly to Clytemnestra before returning to Megamax, "To handle your reintroductions with the Lady myself." As to Megamax's charm, the Duke appears to be as unaware of it as he is unaffected by it.

"Now, I really must be off. I'm in sore need of a schvitz. It is a long ride from Bruckwald, even on an elven horse. And I like to be well-relaxed for the coming festivities." The Duke steps aside, though there is little need considering the width of the hallway. He nods to each of you in kind, "Lady Dekatos. Lady Maximus. Lord Kirsch."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Greeting Kirsch:

The literally stiff-backed elf nods warmly to the noble lizardfolk.

"It has been too long, sir! I had not realized we had Lady Emalia's acquaintance in common."

--

With Duke Orbal:

Clytemnestra is cordial, building on the rapport that she seemed to have with the Duke previously.

"I have some faint hope that the Lady Emalia will remember me without the need for reintroduction, but I thank you for your gracious offer, my Lord."

She gestures towards the hub-bub of the ongoing reception, and turns to her colleagues.

"Shall we?"

Show
    My apologies for falling behind in this thread!

Does Clytemnestra notice Megamax charming Orbal? (1d20+10)[26]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Megamax waves at the Duke as they pass, moving on down the hallway. As they continue on, they eventually come across a metal door which catches her eye, lock melted and fused shut entirely. Meagan stops to eye it up, asking Clytemnestra, "Well, we didn't pass that on the way here..."

Remembering Father Neomund's warning about doors, Meagan walks over to get a better look, with Baubie fluttering out of her pocket to peek about as well...
    Show
    Curious about the door, and we're even alone with it this time!

Let's give it a Search for clues, happy to accept any help on this one:
    Search Doorway - (1d20+15)[16]

There seem to be windows nearby, so a peek through those to see what this door may lead to could be informative. If the windows will open, then Baubie could fly out and see if he can get through to the other side, or just look in a window over there and scout.

11. - Top - End - #71

(Duke Orbal)
    Kirsch puts a pleasant-looking smile on his face when the duke excuses himself, and returns his nod. The smile disappears immediately once Orbal is out of sight, only to return when Clytemnestra makes her suggestion.
    By all means. he replies to elf, getting into motion again.

(At the weird door)
    Kirsch looks around nervously before approaching the door himself. I did and it did not escape my notice. I believe it would be wiser to leave examining it to a more opportune moment, nevertheless. he folds his arms behind his back thoughtfully before continuing. Passing nobles such as this Orbal fellow worry me little, even if I would suspect that not all of them have the basic decency and discretion to not make whatever they see or hear the subject of idle gossip. I am more concerned about servants. the lizard motions towards Clytemnestra to step closer as well and lowers his voice. Until proven otherwise, I am afraid I shall have to view them as prying eyes and extended hands for a certain resident of this castle. Kirsch looks up for a second, clenching his teeth. Speaking of, I would warmly recommend that you keep your distance from the steward. I had the misfortune to experience that he has certain unpleasantÂ… Capabilities. He is a sworn knight, you see, with all the tricks of the trade, trained in unarmed combat and in tackling those with magical prowess. It is difficult to move and impossible to safely cast in his immediate proximity. Make sure you keep that in mind and let us not loiter here for long.

Spoiler: Checks.
    Show

Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[33] to see if whatever happened to the door was a result of something magical;
    Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (1d20+8)[19] to see what Kirsch knows about such metallic doors and where this one could lead.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Once Duke Orbal is out of sight, Clytemnestra stumps after the others, and swirls a simple detection spell at the metal door, to better ascertain what future challenges may be faced. She doesn't get close to the door, instead watching out for anyone approaching from up the hallway.

"Agreed. We should move on to the reception, and from there to the gala, as soon as time permits, to minimize suspicion.

Show
    Clytemnestra casts detect magic to take in the door. Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[33]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Victor (en route back to the Western Salon, currently inspecting the melted metal door)

Unfortunately, the fused metal door is across the hall from the windows looking down on the western garden. None of you can see any way to "get around it" so to speak, to look inside. It's possible the chamber beyond is so interior to the castle's citadel it has no windows at all.

Megamax' scrutiny brings to the trio's attention that this metal door once had an artful pattern etched into its surface. It's no longer easy to make out, but something like shelves with copious vines spilling down from all of them, the leaves of which take a great variety of shapes: generic knights, dragons, and castles, instruments, banners, and faeries. And those are just the ones that haven't been marred unrecognizable.

Anyway, it is very clear someone does not want anyone getting through this door. Not just already being very sturdy with what once was a complicated lock, nor just melting the lock itself to render the mechanism inaccessible—something that as magicians you know could be bypassed with a simple knock spell, no, it was completely welded shut to its frame. By this point, breaking it down will very likely require its complete destruction

At Victor's urging and Clytemnestra's agreement, the party continues south back towards the Grand Staircases and the First Hall. As they do so, along the same stretch of wall, not fifty feet from the metal door, there is a set of double doors. These, though, are the same heavy, ornate, wooden affairs which you have seen all over Allsatalos already—so common in fact, when Kirsch passed them the first time, they didn't merit notice. What is strange about them now, is that they lead into the heart of the citadel like the metal door not so far away, but these doors do not appear to be anything special.

Continuing on, the magicians are nearing the second-floor landing of the grand staircases when they run into a gaggle of nobles being lead by a nervous human servant and followed by their luggage-bearing porters. Upon spotting the wizards, the servant surges forward a few steps but stops a respectful distance, bowing quickly but deeply to each in turn, "My lords, my ladies. Um, is there something you require? Are, uh, your rooms satisfact—"

"Their rooms are just fine, boy!" cackles Lady Lilet von Bleak stepping to the fore of the aristocrats, still with a silver mug of brandied hot chocolate in her hand. She shakes her drink at them, with only a minimum of spillage, "Getting a jump on Cocktail Hour are we, Lord Kirsch? Her wide grin is even more toothy than the lizardfolk remembers. Knowing smiles are shared by the pair of nobles directly behind Lady Lilet, a bow-legged man with a woman on his arm who seems so airy she bordered on the insubstantial. The rest of the highborn faces seem less amused with her antics.

"Say, have you seen your companion, Victor? He went to fetch some tea or some such. I hope he hasn't gotten lost the poor th..." Lady Lilet's myopic vision finally settles on Clytemnestra and Megamax as if for the first time. Like she is really seeing them. "My gods, the pair of you are Striking."

Show
    If anyone attempts to jiggle the handle of the wooden double doors near the fused metal door, you'll find them to be locked.

14. - Top - End - #74

(At the Door)
    That is most thoroughly unusual. thinks Kirsch to himself while assessing the door and follows the patterns adorning it for a few moments before turning away to leave. Unusual and vexing, but not the least bit surprising. The door is evidently important and he can easily think of a particular someone who would want to block anyone, even magicians from bypassing it (what wouldn't he do for the ability to cast those spells which can grant one the insubstantiality of a ghost or access to the Ethereal Plane – if, of course, legends are to be believed). But he'll frustrate the efforts somehow, it takes what it takes.

Spoiler: MORE checks!
    Show

Knowledge (local) (1d20+7)[10]
    Knowledge (history) (1d20+8)[23]
    Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+11)[18]
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (1d20+8)[11]
    Knowledge (religion) (1d20+5)[12] to see if the patterns on the door ring a bell.

(At the stairs)
    The usual serene smile begins to appear on the lizard's face as the servant approaches them with the proper reverence they deserve, but the resulting smile quickly becomes somewhat forced. Of course it has to be Lady Lilet. Again. Why, indeed, Lady Lilet. Our most urgent priority is „getting a jump on Cocktail Hour.” he replies, mostly swallowing his annoyance. When the second question is asked, however, the scales on the magician's forehead and those around his eyes change their colouration, turning into a dull, greyish blue. Permit me to point out that it would be grossly imprecise to describe Lustig as my com- he starts, the words rolling of his tongue unusually fast, but then, Lady Lilet interrupts him, addressing his colleagues. He instinctively steps back somewhat relieved: Lady Lilet found new prey and he's more than happy to throw Meagan and Clytemnestra in front of the lioness.

Show
    I'm pretty sure everyone's noticed by now, but I just love Chameleon Skin.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-22 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Â.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

At the Door

As the three realize that the metal doors are not yielding to their efforts to open it, Clytemnestra murmurs to her companions. "Well, we are magicians, after all. If the solution isn't immediately clear, we simply return with a different spell. There's no apparent magic at play, so the seal is likely mechanical."

--

With Lady Lilet

Instinctively, and to her faint embarrassment, Clytemnestra finds herself instinctively pitching her voice down and a bit louder in order to accommodate the hearing - or her prejudices about the hearing - of Lady Lilet.

"And you are a vision of elegance, My Lady."

Lilet's two fisting eliminates any possibility of socially acceptable physical contact, to Clytemnestra's faint relief, and she simply bows in response to the woman's compliment. She then turns with utter deadpan to Kirsch.

"My dear lord Kirsch, surely you are not attempting to distance yourself from Lustig, redoubtable scholar and inveterate mountebank that he is?"

Without giving time for a response, Clytemnestra leans in to speak with Lady Lilet.

"I am ashamed to say that I have been absorbed in my studies and out of proper society for too long, My Lady. Who do you think that we should keep an eye on to distinguish themselves at this evening's gala?"

16. - Top - End - #76

Kirsch gives Clytemnestra's back a vicious, albeit brief glare; he does, however, hone his earholes for Lady Lilet's answer. The lady might be insufferable, but the elf is right: she has her uses.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Victor (Grand Staircase, Second Floor Landing)

Lilet von Bleak feigns a swoon at Clytemnestra's compliment and her closest fellow aristocrats chuckle at her brief melodrama. The rest however are beginning to stamp their feet in impatience, which goes unnoticed by the Lady. Their nervous servant guide just keeps shifting his weight back and forth on his feet.

"Hmm, now? Distinguished?" Lady Lilet jerks her head back over her shoulder to the noble party behind her. "Nothing distinguished about this lot." She laughs carelessly.

"No, no, but I take your meaning. You must be as new here as Lord Kirsch to not know: there is really little room for the spotlight at Emalia's banquets. Not one to 'share the room' in her old age." Lady Lilet is perhaps twenty years Emalia's junior.

She shrugs and continues, "That Duke fellow, Orbal, one night it was very late and we were very drunk and Emalia challenged him to a martial exhibition; he had been boasting you see. So out in the East Garden, he disarmed ten guards in like what ten-or-twelve seconds?" She turns back to the bow-legged nobleman and his airy paramour who nod. Though they seem pleased to listen, they both appear to be quite tired and more than a little drunk themselves.

"That was the point of the thing, First to Disarm; I told them I could not stand the sight of blood. And oh, how we clapped! Anyway, as you can imagine, the chief steward was none-to-happy about having his men so soundly beaten and forbade any future displays of, ahem, physical feats..."

"But, other than that, we're just a sea of interchangeable faces really. The nobility is just so incredibly boring."
    The pair behind her continue nodding, obliviously. Those others begin to stamp their feet a bit louder, like restless cattle. "Yeah, yeah, I hear you back there..."

"Who else? I think I spotted Dominique; she inherited a great many of the breweries in the Fraal Marches from her father."
    For the first time, Lady Lilet leans in and lowers her voice, "I've heard she's a bit thuggish when it comes to reimbursement. Some, I'm told, call her 'the Cleaver,' if that doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck."

Of course, I've also heard Countess Yzonde is here also this time. Making the rounds, I suspect. She is a terrible judge of taste in my opinion, but everyone else doesn't seem to think so."
    Lady Lilet makes a great round gesture with her mugs. "You can't miss her." And Lady Lilet's toothy grin beams with satisfaction.

Show
    Mechanically, Duke Orbal's display was probably accomplished with a number of normal attack/disarm attempts and Combat Reflexes to disarm with his AOO's against those provoked when the low-level normal guards (who would not have Improved Disarm) attempted to disarm him. So, it's an impressive feat, but not one so incredible.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Megamax finds the etchings in the door and burns the pattern into her memory before getting hurried off with the others, Baubie floating back into her 4D pocket. Passing the next set of doors heading the same general direction, Meagan quietly taps the handles in passing to find them locked, but more mundanely. Curious.

Megamax smiles graciously at Lady Lilet and her compliment, nodding her head as she stands beside the fluctuating Kirsch. Meagan knows too well that Lady would share the spotlight little with anyone else, and was eagerly looking forward to seeing just what she would do tonight. The tale of Lady having Orbal fightithe Father's guards caught Meagan's attention, however.

Walking around Kirsch to flank Lilet with Clytemnestra, Megamax glowed. "Duke Orbal handled ten of Lady's guards himself? Why, she must have been delighted AND displeased!" Lowering her voice, she adds, "She must have little faith in Father Neomund and his protection after that bad of a showing."
    Show
    Getting the feeling that Lady was using Orbal to test her ability to get past Neomund and his guards, there... Lady+Orbal vs the Tolerance?

Pushing Lilet to see if Lady was more happy or frustrated that Orbal won/Neomund lost.

And, quick knowledge checks on the other two nobles mentioned:

Dominique - (1d20+5)[20]
    Yzonde - (1d20+5)[18]

19. - Top - End - #79

Kirsch, all glistening green again and with an expression of serene wisdom on his scaly face steps forward as the conversation takes a more promising turn. Fascinating as this feat might sound, the resemblance between light-hearted fencing and armed combat is but superficial, Meagan. he says pleasantly, with only the slightest hint of smugness in his tone. Besides, I am more than confident that the good Father is perfectly capable of arranging more potent defenses for his Lady and her castle than a dozen timid guardsmen. the magician looks at the assembled nobles, and Lady Lilet in particular expectantly, as if seeking confirmation. Some of these people should be familiar enough with the internal affairs of the castle to provide information of some use on Neomund's machinations, and if he has to chit-chat with Lilet von Bleak to obtain that, then so be it.

Spoiler: Just the usual stuff.
    Show

On Dominique:
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (1d20+8)[12]
    Knowledge (local) (1d20+7)[11]

On Countess Yzonde:
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (1d20+8)[12]
    Knowledge (local) (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-23 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Formatting

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Kirsch (Grand Staircase, Second Floor Landing)

"Oh, she was delighted, let me tell you. It was her whole idea after all. The steward had already gone to bed, or reverie or whatever it is elves do..." At this, Lady Lilet gestures to Clytemnestra for confirmation, though doesn't wait for the response. "Doubt he'd ever have allowed it to happen if he was hovering around like usual, but it was very late. Emalia just went 'round snatching up any guards she could find, them being on standby to make sure one of us old drunks didn't tumble over a balcony or fall into a pool.

"Anyway, by the next morning at brunch, just for the guests of course as Emalia rarely reappears before noon, the steward showed up and read off a document, signed by Emalia already, in his stuffy way, you know, saying contests between guests and guards concerning feats of strength or martial quality is strictly prohibited in Allsatalos—

"What?"
    Lady Lilet turns to the growing restlessness of the crowd behind her, the murmur of displeasure rising. "Oh, fine. Boy, lead these fuss-buckets to their rooms while I finished my little chat."

The servant swallows. A sweat bead forms at his temple. "But, but, my Lady, I cannot leave you unatten—"

"What? What, boy? I couldn't hear you over your disagreeing with me. What are you saying...?"
    The servant stares back, the blood draining from his face. Lady Lilet continues, "That's what I thought. Run along and get this lot to their rooms. I'll catch up in a minute."

The servant turns but turns back to the Lady, bows; turns to the trio of magicians bowing to each, before stepping aside and waving the rest of the noble party to continue on down the hallway to the guest suites, bowing to each in turn in an exhaustive display. Lilet von Bleak watches this whole theatre and you almost believe her eyes are going to roll right out of her head.

As Kirsch advances his speculation as to the castle's defenses, Lady Lilet takes him in, nodding, though in a noncommittal way. "Oh, I'm sure that wasn't the castle's elite, not to mention whatever else the place has up its sleeve when it comes to magic protections—like what I said back then about the Skywalk turning to mist if needs be. But really, I wouldn't know anything about it..." She taps her foot and finished one of the mugs of brandied hot chocolate, casually setting it on the railing of the landing's balcony.

"You know who'd know? I just thought I spied him in the West Salon when we were leaving: old Hargen. He would know better; he's a very famous fabulist, and amateur historian, and whatever else. He retired to a chalet not far from here. He and the late elf-lord were close; he stood as Witness for him in his marriage ceremony to Emalia. I was here as well, you know, very exclusive, they only gave what? four-days notice? I was lucky Bleaksburg is situated so near..." and Lady Lilet will continue in pointless reminiscence until someone stops her.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-06-23 at 06:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Meagan nods along with Lilet as she describes the fuss, imagining the excitement. A non-lethal contest could be fun, though she would probably be best served sitting those out, publicly. Where Duke Orbal gained repute from it, she would only receive undue attention.

Meagan notes the name and location of old Hargen, apparently just one room away. While Lady Lilet had scared off their servant's watchful eyes for the moment, it would not be for long, she was sure. As Lilet goes into the details of Lady's wedding, Meagan jumps in to let the others take advantage of the moment. "Oh, and you are so lucky to have been able to attend! I'm sure the wedding was wondrous, even Countess Vollenveen must have agreed."

Taking Lady Lilet by the arm, she starts walking her to where the rest of the other nobles had headed off. "If the Countess could even make it on such short notice, herself! You are fortunate, she can always be spotted at the parties in Sandrine, but you have more exclusive access to this part of the country." Mirroring Lilet, Meagan continues her chatter with her down the hall towards the others' rooms.

"I haven't seen the Countess since my graduation in Scarthey. You would think the magic show they put on would be enough to amaze anyone, but she still found something to complain about, she always does..."
    Show
    Leading Lady Lilet away from the action, chattering about nobility gossip on the walk to her rooms, and idieally lead them from there to some hot chocolate!

Hopefully by allowing the servants to keep an eye on Megamax, Father Neomund will focus on her while they can get a scoop or two from Old Hargen!

Might as well use the time with Lilet and the other nobles nearby to cozy up:
    Taking 10 for Diplomacy 27 to try and move Lady Lilet up the friend ladder!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Meaghan's final comment brings a mischievous smile to the normally clenched lips of Clytemnestra, as she murmurs softly.

"Well, not always."

Swiftly, Clytemnestra shifts conversational gears, and turns to Kirsch.

"Hargen seems like as good as anyone for our next conversation. Shall we withdraw to the west salon?"

23. - Top - End - #83

Kirsch couldn't care less about this Dominique (probably some lowborn upstart!) and the Countess. When Hargen is brought up, however, he gives Lady Lilet a this time genuine, perfectly mollified smile. He even taps his chest with his right palm bidding his farewell to her as she turns to leave. That there is someone, and better yet: an outsider who has little reason to worry about Neomund but who should know enough – from learning and experience – about the castle is welcome news. He also feels a newfound respect for Megamax: sacrificing herself like that – this is incredibly generous of her.
    Better than most, I would dare say. he replies to Clytemnestra in a most delighted humour. Let us see about locating him! I hope he did not wander far in the meantime.

Spoiler: Checks (again)
    Show

On Hargen:
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (1d20+8)[24]
    Knowledge (local) (1d20+7)[23]
    Knowledge (history) (1d20+8)[12]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clytemnestra, Megamax, and Kirsch (Grand Staircase, Second Floor Landing)

As Megamax escorts her charge up the hallway back towards the waiting guest suites, Lady Lilet can be heard to say, "Oh, aren't you a precious little thing! And no, no, the Countess could find fault with, let me tell you a story..." and the pair recede into the distant glare of white marble and great western facing windows taking in the sunset.

Spoiler: Megamax
    Show
    I'm going to speed along Lady Lilet's and Megamax' socializing. She's kind of filled up enough pages with rambling as it is.

Lilet tells the story of her wedding ~15 years ago and how Countess Yzonde was there and gave it a bad review, and—after finishing her last brandied hot chocolate—quoted the Countess' letter from memory, "The aged Lord Bleak has apparently discovered his latest wife in a hyena farm." She follows that up with some unpleasant language, but there is a touch of sadness to her anger.

As you pass the double wooden doors, Lilet mentions they lead to the Upper Withdrawing Room, and it's likely a few of Emalia's favorites will join her there for a nightcap after the party this evening. Lilet says she'll put in a good word for Megamax.

As to the melted metal door, she has no idea. She hasn't really even given it any thought since the first time she passed it when she was here about a decade ago, long before Emalia's time.

#

Descending to the ground level of the First Hall, Clytemnestra and Kirsch make their way back to the Grand Foyer. Now, though, the gates of Allsatalos are closed to the frosty mountain air and Skywalk. Four guardsmen with halberds stand at attention before them. Clearly, the time for new arrivals has passed... or at least someone believes so.

The doors to the Western Salon are still open, and several servants are in the midst of cleaning up various platters, trays, and the odd spills. When they see the magicians approach, they send through the swinging door into the kitchen for "more, more, more." One approaches to say, "Beg pardon, my lord, my lady, we had thought the guests finished. Only take a moment, we'll whip up something for you."

Save the staff, the room at first seems empty, but then you spot a figure in a high-backed armchair sitting by the fire, a blanket wrapped around his legs and a silver mug cradled in his hands. He is a man of advanced age yet still soft-featured, and he stares into the dancing flames in contemplation.

At your approach, he turns to glance your way. He registers little surprise at the presence of a lizardfolk but when his pale eyes look to Clytemnestra, they go wide. On shaky legs, he begins to stand letting the blanket fall away, a hand upon the armrest desperately trying to push himself to his feet:

"My lady, I beg forgiveness. I had not known any of the Marquess' family had returned to Allsatalos," he says; his voice is a shallow, gentle rumble like distant thunder, the last vestiges of a once-powerful orator.

Show
    Both Clytemnestra and Kirsch know that this old man must have seen dozens of other common (high) elves, both among the staff and nobles, today already. Something else has triggered his sudden reverence.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-06-24 at 12:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

As they approach the old man who must be the famed Hargen Orq himself, Kirsch swallows a surprised chuckle when the human greets his fellow magician with unexpected words and eagerness, to maintain the decorum and, no less importantly, lest he offend Clytemnestra. She and Meagan seem willing to cooperate for now, and they proved useful enough thus far. For his part, the lizard is convinced that Clytemnestra Dekatos has nothing to do with the past owners of Allsatalos, but this little confusion can be to their advantage if it helps gain Hargen's trust and goodwill – provided the elf plays smart. At any rate, Kirsch resolves to put his faith in her as well as not to interfere with the conversation before she could have a chance to respond.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-24 at 02:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Approaching the human man with Kirsch at her side, Clytemnestra smiles with some genuine warmth. She sought to find a way to neither confirm nor deny the borrowed honours in which he dresses her. Clytemnestra gestures for Hargen to remain seated, and uses the tip of her staff to retrieve the discarded blanket, offering it to him again.

"You do me great honour, Lord Hargen. I do feel a sense of kinship with this place. My studies have included this area, but not with the clarity and depth of your own research. Perhaps tomorrow, we could tour the grounds together? It would be an honour to share insights.

"But my manners fail me. This is Lord Kirsch, and I am Clytemnestra, of the Dekatos line.

"It is a relief for me, and I suspect for Lord Kirsch, to step away from the chatter of the crowd, and to have an opportunity to speak with a true scholar."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Meagan nods along with Lilet's story, listening to her frustrations about the hen-pecking gossip. The story reminds Meagan of her treatment by the other Red Witches in the Coven Circle, especially her older sisters.

"Yzonde can be quite cruel, when she decides to be... But you can control the power of a word." Gesturing in front of her, she mimics a toothed mouth out of her hands, "In the Valley of Fire, a Hyena is a symbol of cunning, recognizing opportunities and always advancing forward." Her fanged hands mime a roar, a small flame rearing out from between.

Reaching for Lilet, she slips into the woman's arm, still talking with her other hand to keep her attention. "They are fierce pack hunters, working together to wait out their opponents, victorious at the inevitable end. I can tell you have many friends, and us young folk have a long life yet ahead. We'll see just who is laughing in the end." Meagan winks at Lady Lilet, her pep talk ended. Hopefully her new Hyena friend will keep her spirits up in the evening ahead!

Walking closely together now, they continue through the halls as Lilet shows Meagan the way, noting certain aspects that the young noble drops so effortlessly. A withdrawing room for the ladies later, a promise or two, and another perspective on the melted door... If it's been melted far before Neomund arrived, it may be even more interesting than she supposed. Perhaps a path from the withdrawing room can be found tonight...
    Show
    Making friends with Lilet von Bleak, Meagan knows what it is like to be bullied for being different and/or having habits unfitting for nobility. She'll try to build up Lilet while getting closer to her. As a pair of young girls, they have lots of time left yet to establish themselves!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clytemnestra and Kirsch (with Hargen in the Western Salon)

The old man, relieved, settles back into his chair, gratefully accepting his blanket once more and drapes it around his legs. "I must beg forgiveness for my presumption, Lady Clytemnestra, Lord Kirsch. When I saw a gray elf, I naturally assumed you to be of the Marquis' extended family. Though I must confess, I believed I had them all tallied; his younger cousin, the magician, and a few distant relations in Chinyere."

A server enters with a tray of brandied hot chocolate accompanied by a few confections. "If anything is unsuited to your palates, the chefs in the kitchen can prepare something more to your liking..." he says, waiting for a reply, and then scurrying away.

"Lord Kirsch, of Miessen I presume? I had always wished to venture to your beautiful land but by the time I finished my diplomatic work in Glaem—I was a speechwriter for many years (fables don't always pay the bills, you see)—I was an old man. I'm afraid the heat would be too much for me now." Hargen delicately devours another sweet from the plate on the table beside his armchair, and listens to Kirsch's reply with great interest before turning to Clytemnestra,

"The Dekatos line did you say, my dear? Then you must be from The Crystal City! Truly a Wonder of Eldwizand. I have been there before and had the fortune to treat with a great many of its learned minds. And the name Dekatos certainly rings a bell." Hargen smiles thoughtfully.

"But, come, come. I am pained to correct ones of such stature, but I must insist that I am of no noble birth, my lady. In fact, I was born right here in Allsatalos. My mother was a chambermaid, my father a footman; the Marquis himself married them in a small ceremony, as was his way. It is an enchanting place to grow up, and probably why I fell in love with those old epics as I did. The Marquis was kind enough to grant me a small cabin a valley over from here to retire in, but he always was a kind and thoughtful elf.

"And, it would be my pleasure to give you a tour of the castle. At least, as much as we are allowed..."

Spoiler: Clytemnestra
    Show
    Though, you remember being in the portrait room which was filled with pictures of elves, Spycrist did rush you through it fairly quickly. But in that fleeting glance, you don't remember any blatantly obvious gray elves.

Megamax (with Lady Lilet, West Wing Hallway, Second Floor)

Lady Lilet listens to Megamax's comforting words with a face, for ounce, devoid of grin and bearing an almost serene look of contemplation. Finally, though, a much calmer, warmer smile creeps over her features.

"Ah, how sweet you are. But I really am giving a thought to my two girls..." At this, she pulls open a locket with two tiny portraits of teenage girls of noble features, both bearing coy smiles reminiscent of their mother. "My eldest is set to be formally presented to society next spring. You cannot imagine how I'm fretting over the details. I hope Yzonde can't make it, but what if she does...?"

Lady Lilet has brought you to the northwestern corner of the hallways, where it turns south back down towards the magicians' guest suites. The deep-set door to the northwestern corner suite is open and Lilet's servants are busy within, unloading trunks and hanging silk gowns and lining out far more shoes than anyone could possibly wear in two days.

A notion which obviously rolls into a scheme finally brings the toothy grin back to Lady Lilet's face. She takes both Megamax's hands in her own, "Say, Meagan, you're a magician, too! Now say, if I could impress upon you and Victor to attend? That might just be something. Listen, Bleaksburg might be a dreadful name but its quite a charming town with all its steepled roofs and winding, scenic streets down the mountainside..."

Spoiler: Megamax
    Show
    Despite how youthful she seems, Lady Lilet is actually in her late 30s to early 40s.

I'm kind of leaving it hanging in the air for a moment at Lilet's door, because, depending on how circuitous a route Victor takes, he may spot you (or you, him) coming up the hallway from the servants' door down near Room #60.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-06-28 at 10:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Kirsch nods solemnly and taps his chest with his right palm lightly. Indeed. To encounter a fellow scholar of such renown as yourself, Lord Hargen, and almost by happenstance, I might add – this is a rare blessing. Clearly, the fates are smiling upon us today. he says softly, and for once, his words carry no sting. I too would be much obliged if you would perhaps agree to share at least a tiny fraction of the fruits born by your extensive research on this fair region in general and, of course, on this very edifice in particular. the lizard continues, taking a few steps closer and smiling pleasantly. If Hargen Orq knows something (and how could he not know?), their time will be richly rewarded – not that talking to a man like Hargen isn't its own reward, of course.
    They must, however stay on high alert. Kirsch last saw Neomund lurking hereabouts. In any case, the magician looks around the room as if inspecting its decorations to see if anyone gives them undue attention.

Spoiler: Checks.
    Show

Spot: (1d20+3)[23]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[5]

30. - Top - End - #90

It will do. the lizard answers the servant's question curtyly and with little interest in his voice before turning back to Hargen.
    Why, certainly: Miessen has a generous sun. Needless to say, my people do not resent that either; I can, however, see how those with a warmer blood than ours can find it less than comfortable. That said, were you to not to venture any farther into our lands than the mountains of the north, the weather would, perhaps, be more to your liking. I am confident that a reception worthy of Hargen Orq could be arranged if you choose to pay us a visit. The magician goes so far as to bow his head slightly as he speaks, his offer clearly a genuine one. When Hargen corrects Clytemnestra, the lizard's grin becomes a slight bit wider for a second. You are modest beyond what is reasonable, good sir. You deserve that title, and deserve it well, regardless of your blood. Kirsch would usually never even think about questioning the time-tested institution of birthright: these words, even as he speaks them, ring strange in his earholes. This wouldn't be the first exception he makes, however. He recalls the faces of Limne and Stator, and even that of Ebler and a sudden warmness fills him, making his scales shining even more brilliantly for a few brief moments, but he quickly collects himself. As for the tour, Kirsch picks up a a treat from the plate and inspects it briefly before gracefully placing it into his mouth and devouring it in an instant. the pleasure would be entirely ours.