New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Misdirection of Magicians (IC)

Megamax smiles as she takes in everything in the room, mentally marking it all down as it comes cascading through. "Talk, indeed." Wandering past the wine and sitting areas, Meagan spins her neck in a visible show of artistic appreciation. "As beautiful as this is, it's painted even moreso for a magician's eye... A moment, I want to see this relief for myself as well. Then the wine!" Walking under the archway and down the corridor just enough to make out the door better, Meagan stops to admire the undamaged one, while Clytemnestra regales Lilet of the scandalous artwork.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    My notes are filling up! I'll need more space soon...

Checking out the far hallway and the door at it's end, before rejoining the party right afterwards!
    Spellcraft - (1d20+15)[22]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kirsch, Megamax, and Clytemnestra (w/ Lady Lilet, Upper Withdrawing Room)

Watching the magicians move to-and-fro popping in and out of sight down the corridor, Lady Lilet von Bleak shrugs, "My-my, someones have gotten their second wind!"

At Clytemnestra's words, Lady Lilet perks up with great interest, "Oh-ho, my dear. Did she really? Now, you simply must tell me all about it. I am curious to hear what you all have to say about Emalia before she came to the Fraal. What was she like? Oh, we get tidbits don't you know, anecdotes, really. But to hear about the youth of a famous performer, from firsthand accounts, would be truly marvelous!"

The high elf aristocrat Nadjiel of Spyre appears in the archway back to the landing of the Grand Staircase. "I, too, am most curious about such things as well. Our good Lady did seem to be most absorbed by your presence," and the three magicians remember how curtly Lady Emalia greeted the elf when she first engaged with them. Nadjiel enters the room and steps up to a sideboard to take a glass of wine. "At least until Countess Yzonde came to be unattended."

"Gods, did you see that hat!" Lady Lilet bubbles over with a slightly malicious laugh.

"I did." Lady Nadjiel cooly sips her wine.

"Like a chandelier! I'm surprised anybody in the back rows could see the play at all! It must have come from the Overkingdom, I can't imagine Sandrine fashions have fallen so far since last season."

"Enharza, actually. She's trying to make it a thing among the Alliance nobility." Nadjiel's eyelids droop. "It was a topic of thorough discussion."

"Did you compliment it?" Lilet's toothy grin is on full display.

Smelling the bouquet of the wine, Lady Nadjiel wears a wry smile as she answers, "Effusively."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kirsch, ever smiling, leans against a table, listening to the idle chatter of the two noblewomen with very mild interest. Fashion never really was a field that he cared about much. He doesn't mind this little change of topic of course: he has, in fact, painfully little to say about Emalia and some of what he could say is not meant to be spoken about (or, at any rate, it wasn't back in the day). He would really rather talk about something other than that, and if it has to be some hat, then so be it. Why, this subtlety and, indeed, civility is certainly admirable. he remarks. Sometimes I have the distinct impression that, perhaps, we Mieseners place too much value in being straightforward.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Let's see what the lizard knows about Enharza:
    Knowledge (geography): (1d20+6)[17]
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+7)[23]
    Knowledge (history): (1d20+8)[26]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Megamax returns from the far hallway carefully, slipping back into the room with the others before it locks them all in without her... How boring would that be?

Meagan returns just in time to witness Nadjiel's entrance from the archway, and listen to the women's chatter, and Kirsh's indictment of the same. Jumping in herself, "Oh, the cutting edge of fashion can sometimes make you bleed. Or, do the same to the eyes of your audience..." Laughing, Meagan catches a wine crystal of her own and turns back to the subject of Emalia.

"I've only witnessed Emalia in her traveling performer days, back when she advocated for my own magical studies. She made quite the splash in the Valley of Fire... brought a good bit of flair and color to the area it was quite missing."
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

The grey elf sips her wine.

"Yes, I'd say that 'colour' and 'flair' are words that would be closely associated with Emalia. While, of course, I would never say anything to disparage our delightful host, I think it's fair to add that I knew her before she was a Lady, and before she was a lady. But I am delighted that she has so thoroughly landed on her feet, and in such excellent company."

Clytemnestra turns to Kirsch with a bit of wine-infused fun in her face for the first time that evening.

"My good Lord Kirsch, while it may be true that a straight line is the shortest path between two points, I have also heard it said that a story is the most interesting path. You yourself seem to have found a perfect comprimise, being both an engaging conversationalist and a forthright speaker."

This seems to trigger a melancholy thought in Clytemnestra, and she sets down her glass.

"Well, one little story about Emalia, perhaps. It was a foggy morning, late fall, and word spread that the young Marquis Lawrencio had gone boating, but his boat had drifted to shore without him. It was believed that the impetuous lad, known more a lover than a sailor, may have fallen into the river.

"A dozen boats and more set out on the river to look for him, and Emalia and I were on one of them. Most of the boats started downriver, assuming that that's where the boy would have floated, but Emalia insisted we go up-river. As we rowed and peered into the mist, Emalia's lovely contralto drifted over the surface of the water, weaving they boy's name into a song. Simply finding rhymes for Lawrencio should have earned her a reward. Sure enough, we found him drunk, standing on a sandbar and waving furiously at our approach.

"Emalia would take no money as reward, but only a month's lodging in Lawrencio's estate. The which, I assure you, she parlayed into much greater rewards than for simply rescuing a sodden boy.

"I asked her, as we rowed back to town, how she had known to look upstream and not down. Emalia had simply smiled and said that if everyone else is wearing purple, the best course of action is always to buy a yellow dress."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kirsch, Megamax, and Clytemnestra (with Lilet/Nadjiel, Upper Withdrawing Room)

"Oh, look at you going with the flattery, again," beams Lady Lilet von Bleak to Clytemnestra's compliment. At the conclusion of the gray elf's tale, she decrees it to be, "Classic Emalia. Doesn't that just sound like her, Nadjy?"

Lady Nadjiel of Spyre had been quietly considering Megamax while Clytemnestra spoke. Like, she was really giving thought to the colorful tiefling for the first time. This attention had started just as she mentioned the Valley of Fire. Though, just as quickly, the high elf aristocrat is knocked from her contemplation by Lilet's playful moniker. "Ah, yes, of course. True to form, indeed, Lady Bleak."

The more casual noblewoman merely smiles and rolls her eyes toward the magicians.

Again, Lady Nadjiel enjoys the bouquet of her wine and makes the slightest show of looking around the cavernous Upper Withdrawing Room, empty save for the three magicians and two nobles. She says, "I must say I do praise the Mieseners' dialogue, and so must agree with Lord Kirsch as to how I prefer my nonfiction presented. And Lord Kirsch, while we enjoy this privacy, what topic would you care to speak about more plainly?"

Even capricious Lady Lilet turns to the lizardman magician with no small curiosity.

7. - Top - End - #217

You are as gracious as ever, Ms. Dekatos. Kirsch gives the elf a warm smile and a short, simple bow. Your own skill with words is nothing if not enviable either. he adds, before leaning back against the table, handing the floor back to Clytemnestra.
    While his peer recounts the story of Emalia and the drunken young marquis, the lizard makes sure she gives her the usual signs of appreciation and interest, small nods and smiles and shifts in the colourful patterns of his scales, but he also finds some time to taste a few confections, savouring them with obvious gusto, and to keep a keen eye on the others around himself. He takes note of Lady Nadjiel's sudden interest in Meagan, but curious as it is, he chooses to give little thought to it for now. Meagan is good at drawing attention to herself. She always was.

Case in point. he says, a friendly smile playing in the corners of his mouth as Clytemnestra finishes up her tale. He soon finds he has little reason for joy: his attempt at small talk has driven him into a corner. He shakes his head slowly. I would love to humour you, Lady Nadjiel; I cannot, nevertheless see how what preoccupies my mind the most since a certain, quite recent occurence could be a pleasant matter to discuss. Kirsch pauses shortly. If he can't escape the trap he laid himself, he might as well make the most of it. You see, I have close relatives in the clergy – two siblings, in fact. Their chosen vocation, as I and, for that matter, they see it, requires a degree of humility at the very least. he taps the top of the table with the claws on his right hand, thoughtfully. I see very little of that in the, otherwise estimable, chaplain of Allsatalos. An attitude so bellicose, to the very point of impertinence as he exhibited in front of our very eyes in the Eastern Garden is thoroughly unbecoming of one that serves powers higher than us, even allowing for the ramifications, so to say, of his loyalties. The magician pauses again, looking at the elven noblewoman inquisitively. I am left wondering: how does this noble assembly warrant such utter hostility? Is there a reason behind it?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-16 at 03:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra nods her acknowledgement of the kind comments after her story, but seems to have used up all desire to speak for the moment.

She turns to watch each cluster of conversation in turn without trying to join in. She also can't help but glance back at the door that Emalia and Orbal had exited through a few minutes before.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady Lilet von Bleak laughs at Kirsch's query, and she is the first to answer, "My dear fellow, the case is very simple: Whom do you choose? The devil you know, or the devil you don't?" She glances to Lady Nadjiel for confirmation, which the elven noblewoman reluctantly nods to. At the magicians' perhaps confusion, Lady Lilet continues, "I mean, what is Emalia to do? She could dismiss the good Father, and his order would merely send a replacement.

"I dread the day old Sworle retires from Bleak House. He's been there nearly twice as long as I have!"
    Lady Lilet's wineglass is empty and she goes to stand but is less than steady and thinks better of it, instead motioning for one of the younger of the crowd if they would be so kind as to refill her glass. "To have to bring on a new steward, train them in your way—the ways of the household and property—by the gods, doesn't that sound terrible? No, however imperious, I'd advise Emalia to ride it out with Neomund. I mean, I dare say, he's been here for decades! I couldn't actually imagine the thought of having an elven steward, one that could see you through generations..."

Lady Nadjiel of Spyre listens to Lilet's explanation and continues nodding. She finally sips her wine, and only then corrects the human aristocrat, "Not merely decades: ninety-seven years. That is how long Father Neomund has been at Allsatalos."

Recognizing the curiosity on some faces, Nadjiel finishes her own wine in one unladylike gulp. She begins, tentatively, "I came to Allsatalos in my youth, many times. My uncle, Duke Spyre, would confer with the late Marquis about library matters. Allsatalos boasting one older than our own, though with much less fanfare.

"This was in the time of the Marquis' cousins you see, and they were great, fun elves, more so than I had ever known. And the Marquis was happy in their happiness. Of course, then the cousins had their tragedy upon the airship. Their only child, who would later be castle magician here—for a time—was... unfocused. Elves are by their nature a mercurial lot. The running of this important and sensitive place was not within his capabilities. These are not my conclusions and the Marquis would never have shared his thinking on such matters, but my uncle and mother told me they sensed it in him. And there were no extant family members left for the Marquis to trust.

"Seven months after the cousins' unfortunate demise, two of the Founding members of the Tolerance arrived with a young Neomund in tow. I understand they visited many ancient places in those early years, though for two of the Six to arrive, it displayed grave respect. They sat and spoke with the Marquis for many hours in private. What was said? No one but they could say. In the end, the Founders departed, and Father Neomund was installed as chaplain at Allsatalos, which was a position basically invented for his presence. The oldest elves worship no deities, or at least, what deities they might have once had no longer exist.

"Over time, the Father's duties evolved into maintaining the household. And once the Marquis' cousins' son finally went off to study magic at the Incrementon and the last of the servants' children had set out into the world, Allsatalos became a dead place; none were invited, none came or went. The Marquis remained here with but a skeleton staff, the guards, and Father Neomund. That lasted many decades, until the arrival of Lady Emalia."

Lively discussion echoes down the hallway to the second-floor landing of the Grand Staircase. Two indistinct voices, male and female, talk in a uniform chatter. They are responded to by only the sour grunts of the familiar baritone of Duke Orbal. The rest of this private afterparty is only seconds from arriving in the Upper Withdrawing Room.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-09-18 at 03:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra leaned forward, absorbing every word of Nadjiel's story as if through her pores, so intense was her concentration. She nodded only once, at the very end. As the story ended, Clytemnestra reached forward for a sip of her wine before her soft voice crept into the silence.

"Lady Nadjiel, I thank you for this. It answers many questions that have filled my head today. But I do have one more.

"Why would Neomund's order presume to have the right to install a steward at Allsatalos? Especially since that wasn't the position that he was sent here to fill. Is it not the case that most nobles hire and fire their own staff?"

She shifts, seeking a place of only moderate discomfort.

11. - Top - End - #221

And you have my profuse thanks as well, my Lady, for sharing these with us. Kirsch says with another small bow, while he shifts somewhat closer to the others. He should find the time to pester Neomund about his "priestly duties", but that's hardly an urgency. For now, she turns towards Clytemnestra with a knowing smile. As for the question, I am inclined to surmise that I can answer it myself. Whatever position the good Father might fill in this castle, that position is merely a means to an end, and being steward is a far better means than being chaplain and chaplain alone. he glances quickly towards the archway before continuing. It is no secret either that the Tolerance has marvelous power even over those whom one would deem the most powerful. What they will is usually done.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra thinks about Kirsch's proposed explanation, and turns to the noblewomen. She keeps everything out of her voice except curiosity.

"Ah! Is that true? Does the Tolerance control who you hire and fire? What other influence does this cult exert over you? And what is the way in which they enforce such extraordinary control?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

At Clytemnestra's final question, Lady Lilet bursts out laughing. "What a silly thought! No, of course not."

Lady Nadjiel, glancing at the growing noise from the hallway and the looming entrance of Emalia, starts across the huge room. Though, a shiny ring tapping upon a wineglass halts her long enough to reach back for a decanter of wine. She deposits the prismatic crystal in Lady Lilet's hand, as she walks much closer to the magicians.

The high elf's voice is much lower, "Forgive Lady Bleak her outburst, though she is correct in her statement. The Tolerance makes no staffing choices at Bleaksburg or Spyre, in fact, I doubt there is even one of their wandering priests currently in either region. Sure, in the past their 'inspectors' have appeared but they left just as quickly. You see, there is nothing in Spyre or Bleaksburg the Tolerance wants.

"No, no. The situation in Allsatalos is unique to this castle. At the very least, in this part of the world. The union between the late Marquis and the Tolerance is a special one."

The noise from the corridor is louder still. Everyone can hear Lady Emalia gently chuckle as she chides Duke Orbal for some snide remark at the other nobles voices' expense. Lady Lilet refills her glass, sips nearly half the golden liquid then tops it off again—apparently steeling herself for what's to come.

Turning back to the magicians, Lady Nadjiel speaks softer still, "Unlike other locations across the Eldwizand, the Tolerance could not merely take Allsatalos as they have done plenty of times elsewhere. The reason? Well, ninety-seven years ago they were not quite so well-equipped, or so numerous, or so influential as they are today. And, most importantly, they were wary of the late Marquis, as most who knew him were—a veteran of countless wars, a Grandmaster of the Thinblade with which he had weapon supremacy. A terrible foe, and to confront him in Allsatalos, his place of power? No, they had to strike a bargain with him. A compact which endures to this day; the most basic terms of which are not so hard to guess: 'There must always be a pious templar of the Tolerance guarding Allsatalos.' "

Show
    Yes, that was my not-so-subtle insert of both a feat name and a prestige class. The PCs are aware of the requirements and abilities of both.

Spoiler: Kirsch and Clytemnestra
    Show
    Given the requirements for the feat above, it does give more credence to Hargen's story about the Marquis revenge-killing the cloud giants.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-09-19 at 04:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

The lizard's colours shift to a more greyish hue as he considers what has been told. Why, that only raises a number of further questions. he remarks, lowering his voice. Chief of which would be this: the late Marquis, blessed be his memory, is now gone, as is his heir apparent; what, then, keeps the Tolerance from altering the deal, so to say?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra shrugs.

"'Present' is a far cry from 'being in charge.' There is clearly much more at play in the relationship between Emalia and Neomund than meets the eye. Hah! Neomund and Emalia? Now THAT would be a song of ice and fire indeed."

16. - Top - End - #226

Kirsch raises his chin somewhat, curious, bluish streaks forming above his eyes. He's not quite sure what game Clytemnestra is playing with these increasingly absurd questions and remarks. Is this some highly idiosynchratic approach to gathering information or is it the wine talking already?
    Either way, he keeps quiet for the moment, waiting for a reaction from the two noblewomen.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-19 at 05:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Meagan listens to the suddenly indiscreet discussion with interest, continuing to comport herself with the discretion so suddenly abandoned while still absorbing what is being shared. She nods along to the tale of the estate's history and standing treatise, letting the others reveal their missing knowledge while keeping a straight smile.

At Kirch's last question, and Clytemnestra's more absurd answer, Meagan finally proffers some insight of her own. "It's just politics, dear. The Tolerance has several long-standing agreements where their force would alone would not do. If they renege on this one, they risk them all." Sipping her own wine, she shrugs at the others, "The question then, at what cost will they risk everything for this singular estate? And why rush, with Emalia's impending human lifespan?"
    Show
    None so shown here, this time around!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady Nadjiel was sipping her wine when Clytemnestra made her playful suggestion, causing the high elf noblewoman to briefly choke. Lady Lilet, in her unladylike fashion, merely snorts at the absurdity; though, her trademark grin never leaves. She says, "Oh, such graceful cheek, Clytemnestra. Perhaps, you're not so out of social practice as you had led us to believe..." Lilet gives the gray elf a wink.

At Megamax's words, Lady Nadjiel again looks to the colorful tiefling in a strange way. She is finally about to address the magician directly, "Greetings, Mea—"

"I have arrived!"
    rings out across the cavernous chamber. Lady Emalia stands beneath the rune-inscribed archway back toward the second floor's Grand Landing. Dark-clad Duke Orbal is by her side with a knowing smile. Behind both are a pair of aristocrats Kirsch, Clytemnestra, and Megamax recognize as being part of Lady Lilet's party when they encountered her at the top of the Grand Staircase: a bow-legged man with a woman on his arm who seems so airy she bordered on the insubstantial.

Lady Lilet manages to rise from her seat this time to greet the hostess. "My Lady," she says with uncharacteristically grave respect.

Emalia looks at her, then gazes at the magicians standing to the side with Nadjiel as she stalks up to Lady Lilet von Bleak. "You have helped yourself to the intimacies of my house, Lilet. Who are these that you should bring into my private space? Two Trollops and a Chameleon? It sounds like the title to a Calthrop Butterburrow play."

"I had thought—"

The Lady of Allsatalos comes very close to Lilet, "Oh, thinking again, are we? Is that it? And what were you thinking when I was entertaining the Countess? Just bide your time skulking in the background?" Emalia is ripe with indignation. "Where was my help, then?"

Patiently answered with, "You know very well—"

"Cowardly fawner!"

"OVERACTOR!" exclaims the younger noblewoman.

Lady Lilet and Emalia eye each other askance, then both break out into fond laughter. They hug and kiss cheeks. Still with an arm around her fellow aristocrat, Emalia says to the group, "All be seated; enjoy yourselves, please!" Though, over her shoulder, she casually issues the directive, "Orbal, pour us a drink." To which the Duke snaps into motion.

Show
    To save everyone some knowledge checks, Calthrop Butterburrow was a gnome playwright known for satirical/comedic plays from eighty years ago whose works are still popular to this day. Other than Emalia's reference to him here, the character has no further bearing on this adventure.

Spoiler: Clytemnestra
    Show
    Lady Lilet is referring to what Clytemnestra said in this post.

Spoiler: Megamax
    Show
    Megamax believes, though not even being properly introduced yet to Lady Nadjiel of Spyre, somehow the noblewoman has guessed her identity. Furthermore, she has a growing suspicion—the hunch—the high elf is aware of her circumstances.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-09-22 at 03:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra smiles sadly as she watches Emalia's antics with Lilet. She made no effort to rise when Emalia and Orbal approached, knowing how much of an effort it would indeed be. After all these years, it was a little late to stand on ceremony now. Especially when she felt like the rest of the solidity of the ground beneath her was being eroded.

"Butterburrow indeed, My Lady! Say, weren't you in the original cast of that one?"

Clytemnestra asks the question innocently enough, but her lips quirk upward after a moment.

Show
    I realize that there's a complete timing mismatch to the insinuation - it's simply a dig at Emalia's age, made doubly ironic because Clytemnestra is roughly twice Emalia's age.

20. - Top - End - #230

A chameleon? I suppose I shall have to own up to that, my Lady. Kirsch says with a little, dry laugh, an intricate pattern of a hundred colours flaring up on his scaly hide before he reverts to his usual, uniform bright green. This little vaudevillian performance was very much in keeping with how he remembered Emalia, but he feels fairly certain that he didn't find her antics quite as irritating back in the days of his youth as he finds them now; but then, he might have tried harder to genuinely like her for Sinna's sake than he does in the hic et nunc.
    Fortunately for him, merely thinking of Sinna puts an honestly affectionate smile on his face, even as he mulls what a pity it is that her time with the late Marquis failed to refine Lady Emalia in the slightest bit.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

As Emalia bursts onto the scene in here usual demeanor, Meagan takes the interruption for the convenience it is. While Lady and Lilet go back and forth, Megamax leans towards Nadjiel. Speaking enough to be heard without combatting the vivacious display being made, "And Greetings to you as well, Lady Nadjiel of Spire. But please, my friends call me Megamax." Her insinuation on the word both inviting her not to make a fuss, as well as get closer with the magician.

As the noise fades into laughter and the other magicians respond to Emalia, Meagan straightens back up with a wide smiel of her own."Oh, is it my turn to play the trollop now? You've learned to share the spotlight?"
    Show
    None so shown here, this time around!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kirsch, Megamax, and Clytemnestra (with Emalia et al, Upper Withdrawing Room)

Lady Lilet von Bleak bubbles over at Clytemnestra's joke. Emalia bears a wry smile and casually shrugs acceptance. Though, to Megamax she does respond, "Ah, but of course, now that you have graduated from saucy minx." And to the rest, "Please, relax... or whatever."

For her part, Lady Emalia stretches out upon a long divan, Lilet resumes her seat, and the pair of nobles who arrived with the hostess share another couch, dapping the sweat from their foreheads from the lastest round of Emalia's theater. They bat back-and-forth a constantly evolving train of thought, "Sometimes this place makes me so nervous I think I might throw up." "I know. It's great fun." "Oh, yes. Anything to get out from the dull valley towns. We really should come more often..." "I can't get away from work." "You work too hard. I say, did we meet these three already?" "No, no, we met the other one... I don't seem to see him; what was his name...?" "I could have sworn we met these as well— Oh, look, here comes the duke with some wine." "Yes, mighty fine of you, old sport."

While the noble pair ramble, Lady Lilet has already brought up the Countess' hat to which Emalia rolls her eyes, concluding her critique with, "Can't imagine her ever leaving the borders of the Alliance, really."

"Oh, I can tell you she didn't. She must have ordered it by catalogue, and an old one to boot. Those were popular when I was last in Enharza, years ago. They have to be out of fashion by now," says Emalia, wordlessly accepting a snifter of brandy from Duke Orbal, who has a glass of his own. "You know, everyone thought I would retire there. Of all places! Everyone always imagined it as my kind of town—" The Duke emits a derisive snort. "What's that, Orbal? You don't believe so?"

The Duke chimes in, "I know little of such places. I merely judge them lacking on the merits of their headwear."

Lady Emalia smirks, "Of course you do. Though, that's hardly the reason. They are quite lively, and certainly full of spontaneous indiscretions, but the arrogance is so thick you think you're going to choke. No matter how famous, they would never allow a foreigner into their loftiest ranks."

Duke Orbal has carried a straight-backed, armless chair from along the wall to a place beside Lady Emalia's divan—the seat being the only one suitable for accomodating the bejeweled rapier he wears at his hip. "Lucky for the both of us no such proscriptions exist in the Alliance, even the Fraal. We are all the better for it." Seeing the nine people about the large room each armed with a beverage, Orbal raises his glass and his voice, "To our most excellent hostess, Emalia, and the wonders of her company."

Show
    Though the three PCs have not gotten their names, they have at least seen the pair of nobles before with Lilet's group when Kirsch, Megamax, and Clytemnestra ran into her on the second-floor landing of the Grand Staircase. At the time, they appeared quite tired from their road and pretty tipsy on brandied hot chocolate. Though, unlike the others in the party, this pair never made any complaint about Lilet holding them up while she talked to the magicians.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-09-25 at 05:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Repulsive as it can be, this very recalcitrance has served Enharza well enough on occasion. Driving the Overkingdom off through sheer, arrogant decadence rather than the force of arms is no small feat, after all. Kirsch remarks almost parenthetically, mostly just to make his presence in the room palpable. He would really rather not deal with Emalia (what could Sinna see in her, really?), let alone Orbal, but the last thing he needs is to become unwelcome sooner than he'd like, so putting up with the two of them is likely his best bet for now. Besides, Meagan and Clytemnestra are way closer to the Lady than he ever was; should they be dishonest with him, they can always take advantage of that, especially unless he plays nice.
    Subsequently, when he finds himself listening to the Duke's toast ringing through the room with an unwanted drink in his hand, he is quick to raise his glass as well, adding a sly Long may she reign! before taking a symbolic sip of his wine.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra lifts her half-empty glass, joining in the toast to Emalia, and murmurs a soft affirmation. She sips from her glass but holds it close, a clear indication that she does not wish to partake of Orbal's new bottle.

As the conversation wanders to headgear and the cliquishness of Enharzan nobility, Clytemnestra's eyes glaze over a bit. As had been so beautifully articulated by the ancient elven curmudgeon Mariax, Clytemnestra would never have been interested in joining any club that would have her as a member. So the idea of exerting any effort on such social climbing was still unfamiliar territory for her.

She glances over at Meaghan, hoping that the effervescent younger woman can pick up the conversational slack that Clytemnestra finds herself unable to take up.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

At Emalia's saucy minx comment, Meagan closes her eyes, theatrically preening to one side and the other. Lifting her glass with an especial grin to Kirsh's nod at Emalia's reign, she joins in on the toast with teeth before downing her previously poured share. Setting her glass down, she picks up the discussion on nobility.

"Spoken truth. Far too many countries place such emphasis on blood, when the true measure of a human is in their own works and deeds." With a wink at Emalia, "And humanoids. Countless how often my own worth is measured in the contents of my veins, alone."

Rolling her head to look about the abundance of historical trappings in the room, her topic wanders off, "Though with a house as old as this, history almost hangs in the air, palpable."
    Show
    Watching the others, mainly Emalia and Orbal,
    Sense Motive/Hunch: 22

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kirsch, Megamax, and Clytemnestra (with Emalia et al, Upper Withdrawing Room)

"Well spoken!" says the noble pair on the couch in unison, obliviously taking Kirsch's sly remark in earnest; they clink their glasses before taking delicate sips.

Mirroring Clytemnestra, Lady Nadjiel of Spyre gives a gracious nod to her hostess and merely raises her glass before taking a silent sip.

"Hear, hear!" says Lady Lilet von Bleak. She throws a thumb over her shoulder back at Duke Orbal, "Good to have around for a sudden burst of praise. If nothing else." She locks eyes with Emalia. The bard and noblewoman share a grin (one so toothy, the other so knowing). Orbal's buoyant expression sours a bit but he seems otherwise unaffected—apparently having become accustomed to some degree of teasing.

At Megamax's words, Lady Nadjiel does chime in, "Though when there is magic in the blood, it does in fact have a tangible value." The two aristocrats on the couch seem perplexed, and the high elf noble further elaborates, "Lady Megamax is a magician. In fact, all of the new guests present here are magicians."

Lady Lilet seems the most surprised, looking toward the gray elf and tiefling (having already known about Kirsch). Duke Orbal sips his brandy, unphased, and Emalia studies Nadjiel while maintaining an unshakably pleasant facade.

"Oh, how grand!" the female noblewoman begins. "Can't imagine we didn't already know that," concludes her escort. "Well, how could we when we haven't presented ourselves. Should we stand?" "I can't imagine they'd begrudge we old folk some informality." "This here," and the female noblewoman lays a hand over that of her partner, "This fine gentleman is Mazlowe Carn." "And this striking creature is Isabelle of Corg." "You're too kind." "I mean every word. But, I say, what had you been asking earlier, Dearest?" "Oh, that's right—"

Finally interrupting their chatter, Lady Nadjiel continues unprompted, "Actually, it turns out Lady Emalia invited them personally. Or at least, I know of such from Lord Kirsch." Lady Nadjiel finishes with two words ripe with speculation, "How unusual..."

"Hmm. I had been distracted so, that I had forgotten to ask about those letters..." muses Duke Orbal.

Perhaps sensing an unpleasant undercurrent forming, Lady Lilet von Bleak brightens up and rather loudly asks, "Oh! Emalia, what do you have in store for us this time? Real magicians at Allsatalos, who better to outshine the Cirque du Sphinx!"

"Calm yourself, Lilet," says Lady Emalia in a flat tone. The hostess breaks eye contact with the high elf for only a second to throw a sideways glare at the Duke. "Yes, of course, I invited them. Among many others: acquaintances from long ago, from far away, or likewise out of contact with our current circles.

"I knew not many would come; it's a real slog to get to Allsatalos. Then again, it's nice to know who your real friends still are."
    Lady Emalia spares a glance for the three magicians. "I wanted a select few to enjoy this, my splendid home, while they still could. You see, this will be one of my last parties at Allsatalos, for I will be leaving it soon."

"Wh-what?" stammers the Duke. Lilet, Mazlowe, and Isabelle all nod in agreement, seeing some kind of logic in it, already. Lady Nadjiel, for her part, is uncharacteristically flushed.

Emalia continues, "Oh, its upkeep is far too taxing. Such funds would be much better reinvested in the Fraal—roadways, schools, and the like. Besides, it's too remote—even from the nearest valley town." The aging bard gently waves to Lady Lilet, who silently concurs. "It's already proven too difficult for me to get a handle on the affairs going on in my own lands. No. I think in Autumn, I'll take a tour of the Marquis' other properties in the Marches, and settle somewhere more modest, closer to the border with the neighboring Alliance domains.

"And as you said, Meagan, there's much history here. Too much..."
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-10-01 at 03:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Kirsch gives a polite smile and nod, but little attention to the strange duo; he does, in turn, tense up somewhat as Lady Nadjiel brings up the subject of the invitations. Emalia's reply lifts this unease quickly, although the magician is not entirely certain why she would have their backs with such nonchalance. Is she too proud to admit that she's been tricked? Or some scheme she has going?
    The lady mentioning her intention to leave Allsatalos sweeps the lizard's mind clean of these considerations almost immediately. The March will, no doubt, have much to gain from being governed with such benevolent wisdom. he says slowly, his scales assuming a solemn, glossy hue of green. This is no empty flattery either: Kirsch is genuinely surprised to hear Emalia speak with such sobriety and finds it praiseworthy if suspicious: this could come from the Father's influence, after all – he theorized himself earlier this evening that she could hardly stand against the Tolerance if they choose to take action. But then, what shall become of the castle?

28. - Top - End - #238

Spoiler: Forgot these:
    Show

Sense Motive on Emalia: (1d20+2)[13] and
    Nadjiel: (1d20+2)[14]

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clytemnestra

Clytemnestra sets her glass down, focusing on every aspect not only of Emalia's announcement but especially of Orbal's reaction to it. Is he surprised? Pleased? Concerned? Smug, as he had been at the end of the interrogation?

She picks up on Kirsch's thread.

"Indeed. This castle has been in the hands of the grey elves for centuries, a centre of our culture. It would be a great loss to see it shuttered..."

Show
    Sense motive on Emalia: (1d20+5)[23]
    Sense motive on Orbal: (1d20+5)[8]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Meagan can't stop herself from rolling her eyes at Nadjiel's comment on blood magic's value, as if that wasn't specifically the issue she was complaining about. Perhaps this one knows far less than she lets on.

Perking back up at Lady's announcement (and drwaing of teh conversation away from the magicians), Meagan adds after the others, "Emalia is certainly more the type to make history, rather than wallow in it."

Tilting her head to look around, she muses aloud. "As for the elves, Nessie's correct. I can't imagine Neomund leaving all this behind..."
    Show
    Watching the others, mainly Nadjiel and Orbal,
    Sense Motive/Hunch: 22