New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Didn’t she canonically beat up Thanos?
    yes. squirrel girl beat up Thanos.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Squirrel Girl's very first appearance (plotted and drawn by Steve Ditko, no less!) was her beating the snot out of Doctor Doom. She tends to punch so far out of her weight class that even Batman is jealous, which for a long while was her primary joke. Although the Thanos fight was retconned as probably being one of Thanos'... clone-thingies (basically a purple Doombot, if we're being honest) by the guy who wrote the original Thanos vs Squirrel Girl thing, and I have no idea what the point of any of it was. And also I'm pretty sure the Thanos-Clones are supposed to have all the power and knowledge of the original, so I'm not sure what making it a clone rather than the original proves, exactly.

More on-topic...

* using tactics dreamed up to fight gods against level 10 characters is probably overkill
    ** using tactics dreamed up to fight gods against the aforementioned gods is hopefully not overkill, but either way, it's going to be very, very messy

* singing the Boot to the Head song isn't a battle cry, even if you're playing a monk
    ** even if you cross-class into bard for it, the first hint of Carl Douglas will result in rocks falling and your monk dying. Nobody else, just the monk

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    * My Orc fighter concept may not be "a bunch of dwarves found her when she was a babe and decided that since she was being raised by dwarves that she therefore was a dwarf"
    ** Cannot have her constantly refer to herself as a dwarf even though she is an orc on the reasoning that "a dwarf is a dwarf, no matter how tall, green or tusked they are."
    *** She then cannot call human bandits that attack her "orcs" and claim that orcs are a social construct.
    **** May not similarly call any big boss foe I come across a "dragon"
    ***** "orcs" is not the name for any small group of people that randomly attacks me out of nowhere.

* My construct character may not be a former scarecrow somehow brought to life
    ** May not be a College of Whispers Bard who hides by standing still and spreading their arms in a T-Pose

* May not point out that a balance between good and evil setting is technically grimbright because it means good can never truly win even if evil fortunately cannot either.
    ** Knowing that the cosmic conflict is basically pointless, may not just make a chaotic neutral wizard to work for my own desires and goals.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #454
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    * My response to my superhero character dying may not be: "She tells death she needs to be alive again; death sighs and gives her directions."
    ** Not even if my superhero character is based on Squirrel Girl.
    *** My superhero character may not be based on Squirrel Girl.
    *May not cite the time Spider-Man defeated Squirrel Girl in her own comic.
    That's questionable.

In the Great Lakes Avengers Christmas Special, there was a running plot of Doreen making runs to the store only to defeat increasingly larger villains on the way, culminating in her in outer space for some reason standing over a badly injured Thanos while Uatu the Watcher confirms that it's not a clone, a copy, or an illusion.

Much later, Thanos claimed that he could make copies of himself that were so perfect that not even a Watcher could tell the difference. (though, honestly, beating a copy that perfect would be just like beating the original so...)

a later comic still indicates that Doreen did not fight one of those copies.

All three of those comics were Written by Dan Slott, who likes to troll readers... As anyone whose read his decade long Spider-Man run should well know.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

* May not point out that a balance between good and evil setting is technically grimbright because it means good can never truly win even if evil fortunately cannot either.
    ** Knowing that the cosmic conflict is basically pointless, may not just make a chaotic neutral wizard to work for my own desires and goals.
    *** Cannot argue that attempting to end the universe is a Neutral Good act.
    **** Even if I plan to replace it with one with no cosmological morality.
    ***** Cannot keep turning the universe off and on again until I get one I like.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In the Great Lakes Avengers Christmas Special, there was a running plot of Doreen making runs to the store only to defeat increasingly larger villains on the way, culminating in her in outer space for some reason standing over a badly injured Thanos while Uatu the Watcher confirms that it's not a clone, a copy, or an illusion.

Much later, Thanos claimed that he could make copies of himself that were so perfect that not even a Watcher could tell the difference. (though, honestly, beating a copy that perfect would be just like beating the original so...)

a later comic still indicates that Doreen did not fight one of those copies.

All three of those comics were Written by Dan Slott, who likes to troll readers... As anyone whose read his decade long Spider-Man run should well know.
    Comics are stories, not simulations. Batman preparing for a week to knock out Superman can be an interesting story. Superman knocking out Batman in 0.02 seconds might be the expected outcome, but it isn't much of a story, is it?

If you are a powerful supervillain, the lesson here is to be extremely careful around comic-relief characters. With such a mismatch in power and tone, the narrative weight is in favour of them somehow foiling your plan by throwing a squirrel at you.

Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos is funny. Thanos killing Squirrel Girl is just a downer.
    Last edited by Kvess; 2021-07-31 at 11:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kvess View Post
    If you are a powerful supervillain, the lesson here is to be extremely careful around comic-relief characters. With such a mismatch in power and tone, the narrative weight is in favour of them somehow foiling your plan by throwing a squirrel at you.

Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos is funny. Thanos killing Squirrel Girl is just a downer.
    I think that one came up in the original thread, people not being allowed characters who are aware of narrative causality and ablw to abuse it.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I think that one came up in the original thread, people not being allowed characters who are aware of narrative causality and ablw to abuse it.
    That's like the end of Star Wars 8;

"I want every gun we have to fire on that man! More! MORE!"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-08-01 at 12:58 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kvess View Post
    I would rephrase that as Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos is funny. Thanos killing Squirrel Girl is hilarious in the hands of the write screenwriter. The key to success is in the put down line ...

* I may never again allow our druid (Shepherd) summon a nereid for an underwater battle with his Conjure Fey spell.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-08-03 at 07:01 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #460

* Despite the book failing to specify XP cannot be negative, I can't max out all my abilities and start play with several thousand negative XP.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

* I cannot abuse poor proofreading to take powers and talents that don't exist.
    ** This is not an excuse to homebrew overpowered versions.
    *** Especially if I've worked out what the nonexistent options actually refer to.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

* May not try to run a con on destiny itself
    ** May not try to make a replica of a sword in the stone then disguise myself as the chosen hero to kill the evil without the wait.
    *** May not fake a bunch of deaths to try and prevent a prophecy saying those people will die
    **** may not try disguising myself as the long-lost heir to the throne meant to bring order to the kingdom then do their job better than them
    ***** The villain may not in turn reveal all the prophecies to be lies to convince people he can only be defeated by a highly specific order of events that allow him to gain victory since he can exploit people following along with what they say.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

***** The villain may not in turn reveal all the prophecies to be lies to convince people he can only be defeated by a highly specific order of events that allow him to gain victory since he can exploit people following along with what they say.
    That's good. I may have to borrow it for a long run aboleth plot.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

*May not surprise the DM with a flour explosion on the surprise round after negotiations break down.

* Must not only speak primordial during combat, even if 'the goblins might understand us if I share my plan in common.'
    ** Same applies for gnomish and infernal, especially since no one else in the party speaks either of them.

* Must warn the party before my sorcerer goes nova and 1-shots a green dragon wyrmling at level 5. (To be fair, the dragon failed the dex save for half damage and I had 7/8 dice from quickened lightning bolt rolled either a 5 or a 6. I wasn't expecting to pull off nearly that much damage, and then the ray of frost finished it off...)
    Long-form Sig

15. - Top - End - #465

I cannot play a were-creature that never assumes its fully humanoid form as an excuse to get out of wearing pants.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

I cannot play a were-creature that never assumes its fully humanoid form as an excuse to get out of wearing pants.
    ** If we're playing in the UK I may go pantless, but trousers are nonoptional.
    *** Being trousered does not remove the need for trousers.
    **** This applies out of game as well.
    ** If my character is female the GM would like a word about blouses...

Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Firbolg in the Playground

(This might be a good place to mention that I do actually have a hengeyokai character who's not even aware of having a human form, as well as a lizard character who's a lizard. Quite naturally, neither of them wear clothes.)

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

*May not play a tiefling werewolf to sneak satyrs into the setting.
    **Especially if satyrs already exist in setting.
    ***Creative use of partially transforming as a werecreature, while creative, are typically banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

* May not go around knocking out druids and welding them into metal armor just to see what happens before my character takes their first druid level.
    ** May not then go all "exterminatus" on the heretical imposter druids when the PC fighter-druid welded into metal armor gets treated completely differently.
    *** May not derail the entire campaign into a genocidal religious war based on DM forgetting and changing houserules week to week.
    **** May not point out that the DM's rule of "spells do exactly what they say and only what they say" and a couple missing words in a spell logically result in the entire party getting to play additional copies of themselves.

20. - Top - End - #470

A gun that causes most people to go into cardiac arrest if it hits their center mass is not a non-lethal weapon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

* My rogue Dragon-Blooded magistrate may not have a Solar exalted archon as a retainer

* My Luka Sene member may not constantly needle the Jedi, knowing that they're supposed to be stoic and disciplined.
    ** they are not "proverb spouting monks"
    *** May not respond to them by reciting "Fear leads to Anger which leads to Hatred which leads to Rock And Roll Music which leads to Drugs which leads to Wearing All Black, Red Lightsabers and a Bad Makeover"
    **** May not refer to the Jedi recruitment method as "literally legalized kidnapping"
    ***** May not imitate a Jedi by acting like a stereotypical old master and muttering "what is the sound of one hand clapping? you have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself. the path to enlightenment... is the enlightenment of the path. that which leads to the dark side inevitably leads to the dark side of the Force. Remember that young padawan and you too will be enlightened in your enlightenment of the light side."
    ****** May not make the padawans wash my speeder and pretend its a secret martial arts lesson like in Karate Kid while pretending to be a Jedi
    ******* May not use the Force to replicate Fist of the North Star techniques

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

* Any weapon which destroys the entire universe is one I'm not allowed to possess.
    ** Even if it remakes 99.9999999999999999999% of it afterwards.

Show

23. - Top - End - #473

* My rogue Dragon-Blooded magistrate may not have a Solar exalted archon as a retainer

* My Luka Sene member may not constantly needle the Jedi, knowing that they're supposed to be stoic and disciplined.
    ** they are not "proverb spouting monks"
    *** May not respond to them by reciting "Fear leads to Anger which leads to Hatred which leads to Rock And Roll Music which leads to Drugs which leads to Wearing All Black, Red Lightsabers and a Bad Makeover"
    **** May not refer to the Jedi recruitment method as "literally legalized kidnapping"
    ***** May not imitate a Jedi by acting like a stereotypical old master and muttering "what is the sound of one hand clapping? you have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself. the path to enlightenment... is the enlightenment of the path. that which leads to the dark side inevitably leads to the dark side of the Force. Remember that young padawan and you too will be enlightened in your enlightenment of the light side."
    ****** May not make the padawans wash my speeder and pretend its a secret martial arts lesson like in Karate Kid while pretending to be a Jedi
    ******* May not use the Force to replicate Fist of the North Star techniques
    ********Using the Force to make someone's head explode is probably a dark side power.

*May not point out the number of times Kenshiro, in just the first five episodes, made someone's head or entire body explode with one or two strikes and suggest that the purpose of the full "atatatatatata" version is to make someone keep exploding continuously until either they stay dead or a set amount of time has passed.

*I cannot play a brightly and colorfully dressed dwarven bard who sings songs or tells stories at every opportunity.
    **Nor a spontaneously musical Orc or Goblin.
    ***"But Tolkien Did it" is not an excuse.
    ****I must go along with the watered-down cookie-cutter standee races.

*Can't point out that, based on comments from the Hobbit, which 1: Has a prelude establishing that "Orc" and "Goblin" referred to the same race of people in Middle Earth and 2: The chapter that introduces the Goblin notes that the Goblins are very clever and good at inventing, with heavy implications that Orcs would go on to invent factory industrialization and Mechanized warfare, among other things, that that "Da Orkz" of Warhammer 40K are strictly speaking the closests to Tolkiens vision of any adaption or derivative work.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

*Can't point out that, based on comments from the Hobbit, which 1: Has a prelude establishing that "Orc" and "Goblin" referred to the same race of people in Middle Earth and 2: The chapter that introduces the Goblin notes that the Goblins are very clever and good at inventing, with heavy implications that Orcs would go on to invent factory industrialization and Mechanized warfare, among other things, that that "Da Orkz" of Warhammer 40K are strictly speaking the closest to Tolkiens vision of any adaption or derivative work.
    ** May not point out that means World of Warcraft goblins and the Orcs of the Horde Post-Cataclysm are also closer than most to Tolkien's vision
    *** My goblin artificer may not be "Mantakax Boomabillion" a capitalistic mad inventor who accidentally got sent from Azeroth to the campaign world by an experiment he was doing with a portal gun
    **** All my solutions may not consist of figuring out ways to blow things up, fast talk people into selling them something or shoot it in the face
    ***** His goal may not consist of shooting villains in the face so he can get fame to write books to sell for profit so he can overthrow his rival trade prince and take his place.
    ****** May not somehow be saner than the other PC this character was teamed up with.

25. - Top - End - #475

If the players can't tell if an NPC couple are fighting or making love, I need to tone them down.

A sparring match should not open with a sucker punch followed by the phrase "the safe word is 'potato.' "

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

* I may no longer have my microphone active when the party bard (I am DM) blows the Silver Horn of Valhalla when confronted by a gibbering mouther. (What the party heard over the mic (on Discord) - "And that's how to shoot at mosquitoes with buck shot" - which was meant for my own amusement).

** I may not describe the seven Berserkers as being lumberjacks (these have great axes) who only speak Swedish - only the bard understands them since he has the horn attuned - since it ended up creating far too many wisecracks from everyone that disrupted play.

*** I may not imitate the Swedish chef (ref = the Muppets) when speaking as one of the Berserkers to the bard.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-08-26 at 09:29 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

27. - Top - End - #477

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    ** I may not describe the seven Berserkers as being lumberjacks (these have great axes) who only speak Swedish - only the bard understands them since has has the horn- since it ended up creating far too many wisecracks from everyone that disrupted play.
    ***I may not abuse the presence of lumberjacks to make yet another Monty Python reference

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    ***I may not abuse the presence of lumberjacks to make yet another Monty Python reference
    Yes, some of the players started singing right away ...

29. - Top - End - #479

* I am not a member of "Clam Banu Haqim".
    ** Actually, as animals can't be Embraced, there is no need to debate what a Banu Haqim Clam would look like, do, or feed on.
    *** Any character concept based on a typo is vetoed.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

* "DnD but every time a PC gets hit, a random encounter is summoned" will not catch on
    ** nor will "DnD but every time someone rolls a natural 1 on a d20, a wild magic effect from the deck of many things goes off"
    *** or "DnD but every time someone rolls a natural 1 on a d20, the party gets randomly teleported"
    **** or "DnD, but you get a bonus to reckless actions that rises every time you do something reckless and succeed"
    ***** and especially not "DnD, but twitch chat is the GM"