New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Why?
    Because people find my use of arbitrary units weird for some reason. I'll latch onto anything convenient if it'll simplify calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I concur in the questioning. We absolutely use [the group's halfling paladin heights] as a unit of measure roughly equal to a meter.
    Real people don't always like it when you point out their their height/weight is a really useful number. Even if you got the information directly from them.

Using characters as units, that's fair game. One bard being equal to 103 illegitimate births and all.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Because people find my use of arbitrary units weird for some reason. I'll latch onto anything convenient if it'll simplify calculations.

Real people don't always like it when you point out their their height/weight is a really useful number. Even if you got the information directly from them.

Using characters as units, that's fair game. One bard being equal to 103 illegitimate births and all.
    My serial bigamist bard takes umbrage at your insinuation that his children are illegitimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I can understand that.

* I'm no longer allowed to have a particular bard NPC who is directly related to a significant portion of a nation's half-elf population. Especially since he did so by being immune to ageing[1] and "interfacing" at multiple points along the way.

[1] he's not immortal, he just doesn't age. Not particularly strong either, just has ~250 years of blackmail on everyone and is really really good at running away.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

(*sniggers immensely*)
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There are all kinds of horrible things that are just as bad, maybe even worse, that your villain can do to people... You just have to be a little creative...
    And if you need help, that's a good excuse to look up horror movies. They could sew people together, or tear them apart with hooked chains, or trick them into eating human flesh, or frame them for murder, or force them to saw their own leg off to avoid being killed
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

I remember us once using the group barbarian as a unit of cluelessness.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I remember us once using the group barbarian as a unit of cluelessness.
    Were most measurements over or under that unit?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

* I may no longer make an NPC squad of evil opposites from a parallel universe attack the PCs
    ** Especially if they're stronger than the PCs
    *** Especially if half the party is Neutral and thus "evil opposites" don't make sense
    **** No, the opposite of Neutral is not Protean
    ***** Puns are banned forever

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Were most measurements over or under that unit?
    It's been a while, I think it only came up two or three times. I remember one particular NPC being something like 800 milliThogs (the name wasn't Thog, but I don't recall it.) And after it had come up several times, the party wizard screwed up really badly, at which point the barbarian proceeded to call him the KiloThog for the rest of the adventure.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    It's been a while, I think it only came up two or three times. I remember one particular NPC being something like 800 milliThogs (the name wasn't Thog, but I don't recall it.)
    Heh.

And after it had come up several times, the party wizard screwed up really badly, at which point the barbarian proceeded to call him the KiloThog for the rest of the adventure.
    *actually laughs out loud*

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

* No longer allowed to roll nothing but 1s and 2s (ok, up to 5), especially for saving throws.
    Your dice will love you again next time ... really. Next time it will be different.
    * I can never again attempt to evoke abused DM syndrome from the DMs cruel and heartless dice ...

* I'm no longer allowed to have a particular bard NPC who is directly related to a significant portion of a nation's half-elf population. Especially since he did so by being immune to ageing[1] and "interfacing" at multiple points along the way.

[1] he's not immortal, he just doesn't age. Not particularly strong either, just has ~250 years of blackmail on everyone and is really really good at running away.
    Just gonna go on record and say that I think that NPC is pretty neat as an NPC. Knowledge is power, right?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My serial bigamist bard takes umbrage at your insinuation that his children are illegitimate.
    You're sure they're a bard and not a minstrel?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #283

*Bikini Bottom is not a suburb or R'Lyeh
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *Bikini Bottom is not a suburb or R'Lyeh
    R'Lyeh is much too sane for that.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

15. - Top - End - #285

*My Infernal can't, under any circumstances, learn Autochthon's charms.
    **I cannot create a series of heretical charms based on a combination of Malean and Autocthonian charms that let me turn into a giant radioactive killer robot.
    ***In part because I should already be able to do that.
    ****Nor can I use Malfean and Autochthonian hybrid heretical charms to expand Spirit of the Living World to project my inner world as a fully automated city-planet orbiting creation.
    *****My city-planet self cannot be the Death Star.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

* Nor can my Infernal learn under any circumstances, learn Getimian charms
    ** My origin timeline cannot be a world I project outward from myself next to Creation

* My Getimians cannot summon Nocturnals, Eternals or other fan splats from their Origin
    ** Or even Hearteaters, Dream-Souled or Umbrals
    *** No summoning things from previous editions!
    **** Summoning Prince Balor of the Terrible Gaze is right out
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #287

I'm not familiar with Eternals as a fansplat.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not familiar with Eternals as a fansplat.
    Neither am I. but apparently they exist they're 2e though, so not really in my good books just from that alone, while Nocturnals are basically proto-Getimians without the more reality-breaking aspects, so less interesting now.

* My Water Aspect Magistrate may not have an Archon that is a Night Caste who is still loyal to her magistrate
    **My Magistrate may not team up with the All-Seeing Eye, the outcastes of Paisap's Stair, the disenfranchised of the Blessed Isle, and the Cadet houses to form an alliance against the Great Houses so they can make a more fair Realm while freeing slaves and truly reform the system rather than just replacing one Empress with another.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #289

System author edition:

* The combat system should be more detailed than "make opposing violence rolls"
    * There is no need for a "perspective on theodicy" line on the character sheet
    * The language learning rules should not specify different DCs for different real-world languages based on grammatical complexity
    ** And definitely not based on phonemics
    * The most accessible spell should not be Kill Self

(May not stick in a link to the system)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I can't attempt to interrogate a prisoner by asking a companion to bring me "the drills, the files, the players, the calipers, the syringes, and the disc of the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack."

*Or if I do, I must use the correct song.
    ** " Somewhere That's Green" is not the correct song.
    *** Nor is "The Meek Shall Inherent".

I do wonder how you plan on using "the players" for the interrogation though. Seems kinda intense.

21. - Top - End - #291

SwashbucklerGuy

There is no space marine chapter with the motto "Ad Infinitum Et Ultra"
    *There is no space marine chapter with the motto "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    *There is no space marine chapter with the motto "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
    Translation? Google translate's not giving me anything on this one.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Translation? Google translate's not giving me anything on this one.
    According to a quick Google search: "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (pseudo-Latin for "When all else fails, play dead").
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #294

AssassinGuy

It is the motto of the Possum Lodge, the fictional fraternal organization whose HQ was the setting for the Red Green Show, which was a comedy framed as a cable-access show from remote rural Canada.
    After stating their motto, members would recite "The Man's Prayer": "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
    Last edited by SpyOne; 2021-06-23 at 12:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    System author edition:

* The combat system should be more detailed than "make opposing violence rolls"
    * There is no need for a "perspective on theodicy" line on the character sheet
    * The language learning rules should not specify different DCs for different real-world languages based on grammatical complexity
    ** And definitely not based on phonemics
    * The most accessible spell should not be Kill Self

(May not stick in a link to the system)
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Although I do hope that the language rules take into account language families as well.

Killing yourself with magic should logically be very easy. Like, just do something random, chances are you kill yourself.

* I cannot require players to buy the literacy skill per language.
    ** Especially if the game doesn't have a literacy skill.
    *** Cannot penalise characters for not taking points in penmanship.

My own game design ones:
    * My post-apocalypse game should include a table of useful mutations.
    ** It cannot instead have a discussion of the realistic consequences of exposure to high radiation levels and a take of random magic/,psionic powers.
    * My game should make a distinction between massive and psionics.
    ** No, it doesn't matter if nobody in the setting would.
    * A light pistol should be able to inflict damage on an endgame character.
    ** Inflicting damage should kill characters.
    * Should finish the first draft of the game before posting about it on threads.

Show

26. - Top - End - #296

I have better things to do than staging an all-mutant production of The Mikado.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see anything wrong with that. Although I do hope that the language rules take into account language families as well.

Killing yourself with magic should logically be very easy. Like, just do something random, chances are you kill yourself.
    I think that might depend on which kind of magic and how magic in general works in the setting, but most of the time it can't be harder to kill yourself unless it also gives you resistance/immunity to it.

Also might not be related to that guy's point but if the highest probability result of using magic in a system is "die" and magic is supposed to be reasonably accessible by PCs then you're probably doing something wrong.

* I cannot require players to buy the literacy skill per language.
    ** Especially if the game doesn't have a literacy skill.
    *** Cannot penalise characters for not taking points in penmanship.

My own game design ones:
    * My post-apocalypse game should include a table of useful mutations.
    ** It cannot instead have a discussion of the realistic consequences of exposure to high radiation levels and a take of random magic/,psionic powers.
    * My game should make a distinction between massive and psionics.
    ** No, it doesn't matter if nobody in the setting would.
    * A light pistol should be able to inflict damage on an endgame character.
    ** Inflicting damage should kill characters.
    * Should finish the first draft of the game before posting about it on threads.
    Any sufficient application of mass is indistinguishable from psionics. Unless that was just another case of autoincorrect. :P

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

I have better things to do than staging an all-mutant production of The Mikado.
    Right. You should stage The Mutants of Penzance first.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

* I may never quote Gilbert & Sullivan jokes.
    ** What, never?
    *** No, never!
    **** What, never?
    ***** Hardly ever.

Show

30. - Top - End - #300

EvilClericGuy

* I may never quote Gilbert & Sullivan jokes.
    ** What, never?
    *** No, never!
    **** What, never?
    ***** Hardly ever.
    Reread John Ford's _How Much For Just The Planet?_ and reconsider certain poor life choices.

(Star Trek Gilbert & Sullivan. IN SPACE!)
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/