New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * I may never quote Gilbert & Sullivan jokes.
    ** What, never?
    *** No, never!
    **** What, never?
    ***** Hardly ever.
    Love levels all ranks.
    (brilliant post)
    * I may no longer role play a bard (female, human) enduring that difficult time of the month by
    Spoiler: Joke in horribly bad taste - you have been warned
    Show
    having her sing "A Wand'ring Menstruel, I" (song parody from Mkiado, and no, I will not post the lyrics - this was back in AD&D days)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-23 at 01:09 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

*I may not name my character Genocide.
    **That character should not live up to said name.
    ***... Especially not repeatedly.
    ****If said character encounters (what is effectively) an opposite alignment clone, said character probably shouldn't be the better person.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    *I may not name my character Genocide.
    **That character should not live up to said name.
    ***... Especially not repeatedly.
    ****If said character encounters (what is effectively) an opposite alignment clone, said character probably shouldn't be the better person.
    *Familicide is also out.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    *Familicide is also out.
    **Deicide, while admirably ambitious, is also not recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    **Deicide, while admirably ambitious, is also not recommended.
    * If my character has reached power levels where accidental deicide is on the table, it is time to retire that character.
    ** godslaying with Magic Missile is just showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Reread John Ford's _How Much For Just The Planet?_ and reconsider certain poor life choices.

(Star Trek Gilbert & Sullivan. IN SPACE!)
    Great book, one of all-time favourite Trek books. "Plan C" indeed
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2021-06-25 at 02:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * If my character has reached power levels where accidental deicide is on the table, it is time to retire that character.
    ** godslaying with Magic Missile is just showing off.
    I know this is a joke, but isn't Magic Missile one of the better options for that anyways? There's approximately one god who's immune to force damage and I'm sure there are ways to get around the other defenses.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

I know this is a joke, but isn't Magic Missile one of the better options for that anyways? There's approximately one god who's immune to force damage and I'm sure there are ways to get around the other defenses.
    Shield automatically stops magic missile and a god can probably get it as an instantaneous effect with alter reality or some other silly broken shenanigans(then you stop their shenanigans with your even more broken shenanigans).
    Last edited by noob; 2021-06-25 at 05:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Shield automatically stops magic missile and a god can probably get it as an instantaneous effect with alter reality or some other silly broken shenanigans(then you stop their shenanigans with your even more broken shenanigans).
    *May not use a god's own powerset to take them out
    **Using this as an argument that I'm better suited as said god is allowed, grudgingly
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

9. - Top - End - #309

EvilClericGuy

Great book, one of all-time favourite Trek books. "Plan C" indeed
    Only Star Trek book I was ever able to do a school book report on.

If I'd been aware of Gilbert & Sullivan, and if I'd been aware of the connection, that book report would probably have passed me for English class for all of high school. As is, I'll settle for the grade, and the teacher's admission that some properties can sometimes transition successfully to some other media.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

*I cannot market an experimental super-soldier serum as a cure for acne.
    **Even if it does, in fact, cure acne as a side effect.
    ***I cannot list every other effect of the serum on the packaging as a potential side-effect.
    ****Even if I include the other potential side effects.
    *****Stating that anyone who uses the product agrees to be monitored, kidnapped, and subjected to a host of extremely invasive tests up to and including vivisection on the package is not a legally binding contract.
    ****** "It wasn't even fine print" is not a defense that will hold up in court.
    *******I need to actually hire test subjects with informed consent, reasonable tests, and adequate monetary compensation.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot market an experimental super-soldier serum as a cure for acne.
    **Even if it does, in fact, cure acne as a side effect.
    ***I cannot list every other effect of the serum on the packaging as a potential side-effect.
    ****Even if I include the other potential side effects.
    *****Stating that anyone who uses the product agrees to be monitored, kidnapped, and subjected to a host of extremely invasive tests up to and including vivisection on the package is not a legally binding contract.
    ****** "It wasn't even fine print" is not a defense that will hold up in court.
    *******I need to actually hire test subjects with informed consent, reasonable tests, and adequate monetary compensation.
    I assume that would be illegal anyways IRL? Also, if you advertise it as super soldier serum you'd probably have loads of volunteers.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not give a housecat a fitted bulletproof vest with pouches to carry my spare mags and a first aid kit.
    **Even if the GM’s response is the “I’ll allow it” gif.
    ***It’s still a housecat; it’s going to bolt as soon as anybody starts shooting, and then I won’t have my spare ammo or first-aid kit.
    ****I can’t afford the point cost to make it trained, obedient, and brave enough to stay nearby in combat.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

13. - Top - End - #313

I can't play as a house cat and be another PCs familiar or animal companion.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *May not give a housecat a fitted bulletproof vest with pouches to carry my spare mags and a first aid kit.
    **Even if the GM’s response is the “I’ll allow it” gif.
    ***It’s still a housecat; it’s going to bolt as soon as anybody starts shooting, and then I won’t have my spare ammo or first-aid kit.
    ****I can’t afford the point cost to make it trained, obedient, and brave enough to stay nearby in combat.
    *****May not use Tiger King as justification for any of the Big Cats to be a housecat.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

I can't play as a house cat and be another PCs familiar or animal companion.
    ** I can't play a housecat without being another PC's familiar or animal companion.
    *** I can't suggest that the entire party plays housecats.
    **** Even if I can provide a game for just that.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

** I can't play a housecat without being another PC's familiar or animal companion.
    **** May not say "It is stronger than an all guardsmen party"
    ***** I may not have an housecat bbeg.
    ****** Especially if most of the players could not even see the housecat.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-06-28 at 10:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*A fifteen-pound orange tabby is not a Miniature Giant Space Tiger.
    **Step away from the tinker gnomes.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2021-06-28 at 11:32 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

* I may no longer summon a Saber Toothed tiger (to try and emulate this Christina Wayborn poster from the 1970's) as a part of my bard's on stage act.
    ** Even if it went over very well at the time
    *** and got me three "contacts" for successful "carousing" with drunk, jaded, and horny nobles.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-28 at 01:00 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #319

EvilClericGuy

I assume that would be illegal anyways IRL? Also, if you advertise it as super soldier serum you'd probably have loads of volunteers.
    *May not introduce a super-soldier serum to the Marvel Universe that is both safe and effective, as long as certain physiological and psychological requirements are met.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    *May not introduce a super-soldier serum to the Marvel Universe that is both safe and effective, as long as certain physiological and psychological requirements are met.
    ** May not respond to this with "So Captain America's serum? Its just that all the other serums are trying to replicate that one and they all fail for some reason."
    *** May not theorize that the serums are just gateways for spirits to enter into peoples body and Steve got lucky that the Spirit of America itself managed to get into him in time, and that all the other serums work, they just keep letting in bad spirits.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-06-28 at 02:13 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

***** Advanced Dungeons and Kittens is right out!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #322
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Erksine kept the secret of his success until he died.
    *may not time travel in order to steal Erskine's knowledge using telepathy in a Marvel game.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    ***** Advanced Dungeons and Kittens is right out!
    I was thinking a bit more The Secrets of Cats museums.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

24. - Top - End - #324

EvilClericGuy

** May not respond to this with "So Captain America's serum? Its just that all the other serums are trying to replicate that one and they all fail for some reason."
    Isn't that the standard Marvel canon?

My guy isn't trying to recreate Project Rebirth; he's trying to stay out of jail, get rich, and help people, in that order. An ethical robber-baron, if you will.

Spoiler: Security transcript of a conversation between Sean Ross Fairchild, CEO, Fairchild Munitions, and Col. Nick Fury, Director of SHIELD.
    Show
    Sean Ross Fairchild (SRF): "Look, Director Fury, you're asking the impossible. Project Rebirth created the super-soldier serum. It makes the recipient an Olympic-level athlete, significantly retards the aging process, bolsters sanity, and was the creation of a wartime operation whose budget rivaled the Manhattan Project. When the government is willing to throw freighters' worth of money and manpower at a problem, you get miracles.

"Me, I have a company to run and keep profitable. I can't deliver the impossible."

Col. Fury (CF): "Then we're done here."

SRF: "I didn't say that. I said can't deliver the impossible; I can't deliver Captain America in a vial."

<REDACTED>

CF: "So how did you develop this little cocktail? I've seen your file, Fairchild. Your a technician, a hardware specialist. In short, a tinkerer.

"You have no history of biological or chemical developement, nor does your company. Frankly, sudden breadth of knowledge in unrelated fields make SHIELD very, very nervous. You wouldn't like us when we're nervous."

SRF: "I'm not, but my roomate from college *is* a biochemical genius."

CF: "Mario Perez. Empire State Univesitry honors graduate. Masters' Degrees in biochemisty and psychology. Doctorate in Medicine. No New York State medical license."

SRF: "And no head for business. Though to his credit, he *knows* he doesn't, and I do. His consulting business was failing, the sharks were circling, and he'd finally made his breakthrough. But he didn't want the sharks to have his life's work."

CF: "So you helped him of the goodness of your heart?"

SRF: "Of course! He's an old friend. And I smelled an opportunity."

<REDACTED>

CF: "You seem awful sure of yourself, Fairchild."

SRF: "I warn you, Director, Project Uplift is *mine.* We own the patents; we own the trademarks. I start seeing knock-off super-soldiers running around, and I'll have you before a grand jury so fast, your head will spin. And we'll sue so hard for breach of contract, it will beggar God himself.

"But I'd be happy to license the process to SHIELD! It's fiendishly expensive; no one is going to be mass-producing Captain Americas. Except for nation-states or similar entities, you'd go bankrupt trying. But some of the spin-off technologies have huge commercial potential..."

CF: <yelling> "YOU'VE GONE TO HUMAN TRIALS?!"

SRF: "We have the best computer modeling on the planet, barring alien technologies. We ran simulations until they were perfect, then broke everything we could think of and ran simulations again until they were perfect. Then we ran through animal testing until refinement was complete. Only then did we go to human trials.

"Our test subjects were all volunteers, fully informed consent. Our NDAs are ironclad, but we briefed them completely. Every one passed a rigorous psychological and physiological testing regimen to ensure they met Project criteria and were baseline humans. My company doesn't need to press of experimenting on a discriminated minority like mutants, nor are we interested in starting a war with one of the other, sovereign offshoots of humanity.

<laughter> "I'm a modern-day robber-baron, Fury. But I'm not the Red Skull. That's why Stark, Worthington, and Cosmos Securities do business with me and the Hellfire Club set hates my guts."

CF: "I'll need to consider this offer, Chairman."

SRF: "Director, it will be a pleasure doing business with you. The science is solid, the paperwork is in order, and the effects are well documented. Let me walk you out."

CF: "I can find my own way out."

SRF: <more laughter> "I can introduce you to my security team, who've been subjects of Project Uplift for a year now. They're right here where we can help if there's a problem, and if they decide to retire or resign, we'll work them through the detox process. It's admittedly painful, but does no long term harm and leaves you right where you were before taking part in Project Uplift."

*** May not theorize that the serums are just gateways for spirits to enter into peoples body and Steve got lucky that the Spirit of America itself managed to get into him in time, and that all the other serums work, they just keep letting in bad spirits.
    Oh, that's a brilliant campaign twist. I'd totally play there.

25. - Top - End - #325

*I cannot give Commander Shepard a transfusion of Captain America's blood just to see what the Super Soldier Serum does to their heavily modded physicology.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

*I cannot give Commander Shepard a transfusion of Captain America's blood just to see what the Super Soldier Serum does to their heavily modded physicology.
    Heavily modified? Maybe moderately so.

* Cannotinsist that a character technologically brought back from the dead is 'still 98% humans'.

* I cannot give Krogan Conjoiner implants.

Show

27. - Top - End - #327

Heavily modified? Maybe moderately so.
    Okay, to start with, as a member of th eSystems Aliance Space MArines, Shepard is by default gene-modded to better able handle higher and lower gravity, which also makes them more fit.

They may to ay not be naturally biotic, inwhich case they have cybernetic implants to let them use their biotic abilities.

Then they died and were brought back to life a mixture of cybernetics, chemical treatments, and further gene mods. The procedure also presumably involved exposing and mutating Shepard's body with Ezo, because Shepard gains biotic powers if they did not have them and they become noticeably stranger if they did.

We can assume that there was some extensive work done to put them back together, because it is heavily implied that Shepard's head was not attached to their body when it was recovered, and also because Shepard was spaced, asphyxiated, and then underwent pantry reentry through an atmosphere that would be corrosive to human flesh. I would be genuinely surprised if less than 30% of their body had been replaced by either bionics or cloned tissues.

At the beginning of the game, Shepard's surgical scars freaking glow indicating extensive work under the surface.

considering that Shepard can headbutt a Krogan hard enough to knock them down and drink multiple glasses of something guaranteed to knock most humans off their ass and chance it with liquor made specifically for Krogan and something else even stronger than that and only blackout and wake up a few minutes later on the bathroom floor of the establishment... You know, instead of fricking dying, it can assume that bones and organs have been enhanced or reinforced.

All throughout Mass Effect 2 you can research various upgrades which include Upgrades to Shepard's body in the form of additional cybernetics which include a set of ultradurable fibers that double as medical channels enhancing the durability and regenerative functionality of Shepard's skin, muscles, and skeleton(reinforcing, not replacing, at least in the case of things that haven't already been replaced.) and three additional Bioampsthat each have specialized functions to support Shepard's primary bio amp, resulting in stronger Biotic abilities.

In addition, some of the stat boosts yo get from scanning things in various places are implied to be the result of data from the scan being used to make upgrades such as a biotic power upgrade gained from scanning a machine used by Cerberus when trying to train and enhance Jack.

In the Overlord DLC, even if you have no Cybernetic upgrades or bioamp implants, Shepard is technological enough that they can be affected by a thing designed to hack AIs and VIs.

In ME3, the Synthesis ending is possible because Shepard is considered a perfect mxiture of organic and sythnetic life and because their cybernetic mods are compatible with Reaper tech... And considering that it's know that multiple factns got their hands of chunks of Soverighn, it's entirely possible that the cybernetic components of the procedure to resurrect them is Reaper derived, indicating the possibility of nanomachines, biomechanical enhancements, and techno-organics.

I mean, we know that Cerberus has access to Reaper Tech, EDI is based in part on Sovereign.

Shepard is modded all to hell.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

** May not insist that all it will do is let in the Spirit of Paragon Spectres to empower Shepard to be the most moral and inspiring Spectre there ever was.

* May not mix Legendary Super Saiyan, The Incredible Hulk, Asura's Mantra Drive, a Khornate Berserker, Doomguy and a Red Lantern ring together to see what happens.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-02 at 09:16 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

* There is no justification for my blind elven Loremaster to have a hat more famous than she is.
    ** Not even if I can scrounge up the points for both Blind and Impressive Hat.

Show

30. - Top - End - #330

* It is not a race to 0 Humanity.
    ** Should probably explain that Wassail isn't as fun as it sounds.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!