New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    That's still a thing?

Also, while Videomancers can charge up from reruns, it doesn't fit the image I had if a mage surrounded by open DVD cases trying to get charges.
    All the schools from 2E still exist canonically. In 3E put only new schools in the core, but all the old schools are still in the background. Which creates this weird situation where the background is full of organisations like the Naked Goddess using magics that you can't use with just the core book, but no one in the background uses any of the magic the PCs can learn.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    All the schools from 2E still exist canonically. In 3E put only new schools in the core, but all the old schools are still in the background. Which creates this weird situation where the background is full of organisations like the Naked Goddess using magics that you can't use with just the core book, but no one in the background uses any of the magic the PCs can learn.
    Oh yeah, and I see some of the 3e Adept schools as being soft replacements of 2e schools. I do think they did better including a couple of old Archetypes, but it means that you can play a relatively unheard of Avatar of the Naked Goddess*, but not somebody associated with the SotNG.

Although I'll note that 3e really just reads like a soft reboot to me. The old Schools and Archetypes still port over mostly easily, but there's been a massive effort to rework some of the problematic elements while providing replacements for outdated options.

Like, book 3 mentions that Videomancers have lost a lot of magickal power. They're technically still a thing, but societal changes have made a lot of them irrelevant (hence Cinemancers being in the core book).

Although I still want a proper explanation of just what's going on with the Freak. Are they still the Godwalker of the Sexual Rebis, just to start.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #363

*I can not genetically engineer a krogan/vorcha hybrid.
    **Especially not if it makes them immune to the genophage.
    ***It is absolutely my fault that the entire universe is now overrun with highly adaptable and rapidly regenerating Space-Ogres.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ***It is absolutely my fault that the entire universe is now overrun with highly adaptable and rapidly regenerating Space-Ogres.
    A regenerating ogre is a troll, right?

****Calling them "space trolls" is not better.
    ***** Releasing space dragons is much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    A regenerating ogre is a troll, right?

****Calling them "space trolls" is not better.
    ***** Releasing space dragons is much worse.
    The distinction between a troll and an ogre is often arbitrary.

*I can't inject babies with Super Soldier Serum just to see what happens.
    **Even if I do a dozen of them, half get placeboes, and I follow them for the next 20 years of their life to observe the effects like a proper scientist.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-07-13 at 01:38 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The distinction between a troll and an ogre is often arbitrary.

*I can't inject babies with Super Soldier Serum just to see what happens.
    **Even if I do a dozen of them, half get placeboes, and I follow them for the next 20 years of their life to observe the effects like a proper scientist.
    ***While it's technically correct that a sample group of 12 isn't quite enough to be a proper study, it's probably better not to motivate the mad scientist to inject additional babies with Super Soldier Serum out of curiosity.
    ***** "It was proper scientific practice" is not a good excuse for causing the presence of a statistically significant amount of infant Super Soldiers spread semi-randomly through all layers of society.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-07-13 at 11:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

* Using genetic engineering to cross breed krogan with Xenomorph XX121 is not a valid solution to their birth rate.

* Cannot complain about how settings tend to incorrectly capitalise species names.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    ***While it's technically correct that a sample group of 12 isn't quite enough to be a proper study, it's probably better not to motivate the mad scientist to inject additional babies with Super Soldier Serum out of curiosity.
    ***** "It was proper scientific practice" is not a good excuse for causing the presence of a statistically significant amount of infant Super Soldiers spread semi-randomly through all layers of society.
    ****** may not put bugs and hidden cameras in their houses, schools and so on to observe these kids as they grow up to get as much data as possible
    ******* May not point out this is a better superhero origin than "I dunno, genetics man, people just evolve sometimes" while eyeing X-Men, MHA, Whateleyverse and Heroes
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

May not bring up the game Ogre whenever we encounter an Ogre in D&D, and mention that Ogres were a lot tougher than Ogres.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    May not bring up the game Ogre whenever we encounter an Ogre in D&D, and mention that Ogres were a lot tougher than Ogres.
    Am not allowed to use the phrase "I think I'll eat a tank battalion for breakfast." outside of full gonzo supers games.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Am not allowed to use the phrase "I think I'll eat a tank battalion for breakfast." outside of full gonzo supers games.
    Spoiler: The upside of eating a tank battalion for breakfast
    Show
    On the bright side, it does prevent the problem of iron deficiency in the blood.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

* My Dragon-Blooded Exalted Dynast joining up with other Exalts may not be an entitled twit or karen who got exiled over something minor or reasonable and speaks in a vallley girl accent.
    ** May not say "they like, totally treated me like Anathema because they didn't get me the drugs for my wild party, our pain is basically the same" to a Lunar rebel
    *** May not have somehow graduated from the Spiral Academy through sleeping with a more studious girl in exchange for her doing my homework
    **** May not despite all this know Orgiastic Fugitive Style and somehow be good at fighting with it
    ***** May not ask what is so wrong about incest, since her relatives do it all the time with no downsides
    ****** May not halfheartedly cry out "Freedom for the barbarians!" in battles against the Realm
    ******* My ultimate goal may not be to somehow get back to living a life of luxury or maintain my new life of luxury.
    ******** may not play a Dragon-Blooded Dynast for comic relief.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-13 at 10:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373

*I cannot learn martial arts by playing Shenmue.
    **I cannot insert memes from relatively old videogames into the storyline at any opportunity.
    ***I was not once Chinese and the game takes place in a land-locked state.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Something has probably gone awry if the bard is the most effective damage-dealer.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *Something has probably gone awry if the bard is the most effective damage-dealer.
    Aren't bards real strong in 5e?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Depends on circumstances, party, and level. But spamming Heat Metal on humanoid enemies when it takes 10 minutes to doff a chain surcoat can be very effective.

* The term "skeet shooting" is not ill-defined and does not involve batteries of orbital plasma cannons.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Depending on how they’re built, yes. But still shouldn’t be the most effective DPR in the party if there’s a Paladin and a Rogue. My particular bard is built for a more combat focused approach with a crossbow and is actually pretty good at it, but even so, if the Rogue and Paladin could roll above 10, like, ever (Advantage from Greater Invisibility, plus a bonus from Bardic Inspiration, still aren’t helping them hit! Their dice are cursed, cursed I say!) then I’d be in a support-caster role with pretty decent damage as an additional benefit instead of ending up the main DPR.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2021-07-14 at 08:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Bugbear in the Playground

* The Aarakocra Monk who is the size and build of a human 10-year-old should not be the only one to succeed a strength check to raise a portcullis
    * Expressing worry to the DM that monks may be badly underpowered in 5e is kind of undermined by stunlocking what was supposed to be a difficult boss encounter into oblivion
    * When promising a high-flying, high-action game, Tucker's Kobolds are not a good enemy group to throw at players, especially if they have to spend three game sessions squeezing through tunnels

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

* The Aarakocra Monk who is the size and build of a human 10-year-old should not be the only one to succeed a strength check to raise a portcullis
    * Expressing worry to the DM that monks may be badly underpowered in 5e is kind of undermined by stunlocking what was supposed to be a difficult boss encounter into oblivion
    * When promising a high-flying, high-action game, Tucker's Kobolds are not a good enemy group to throw at players, especially if they have to spend three game sessions squeezing through tunnels
    I haven't had any direct experience with 5e play, but Monk still seems in a better spot than 3.5e.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

All I have to say, is:

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    * While your rogue can have a higher athletics score than both the stone golem and the party member who just quaffed a potion of Giant's Strength, pointing it out's only funny once.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

21. - Top - End - #381

* I am not a sweet Tzimisce from Transsexual, Transylvania.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Okay, I'm probably missing a reference here. What is it?

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #383

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    ** I may not do the Time Warp.
    *** I may not do the Time Warp again.

Okay, I'm probably missing a reference here. What is it?
    I see you shiver with antici...

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    ** I may not do the Time Warp.
    *** I may not do the Time Warp again.

*** Despite having Auspex 5, I may not be in another dimension with voyeuristic intention, nor may I be well secluded and see all.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

* May not interview the GM to see if they are right for me
    ** May not ask "what is your reaction to the phrase: "Screw the authorities"?"
    *** or ask "how much of a sadist are you?"
    **** or ask "if a cool character fails a roll, how goofy would you play it?"
    ***** or ask "if you see a family member in a backstory, what would you do?"
    ****** or ask "do you believe you should "challenge" the players? or make them experience "consequences"?"
    ******* or ask "if I wanted to do something not covered in the rules, what would you do?"
    ******** or ask "if my character had a screw destiny attitude, how likely would they be to defy a prophecy?"
    ********* or ask "if my character was an orphan what is the likelihood of them turning out to be long lost royalty?"
    ********** or ask "how likely my character is to be kidnapped or jailed as apart of any given plot?"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-15 at 07:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Lore bards are very good PCs, but my own experience (as DM for, a team mate of, and now a player (lvl 13)) of a lore bard is that they are not DPR machines; they are, I think, very good at making allies better or making enemies worse. Having not played a Valor bard I can't speak to their DPR ness but they are a good kit. (We have a Valor Bard in my brother's world who is pretty effective all around).
    I haven't had any direct experience with 5e play, but Monk still seems in a better spot than 3.5e.
    5e Monk is pretty good. I find them very fun to play.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-07-15 at 08:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

* May not specifically craft my backstory so that my character is an orphan but cannot possibly be lost royalty by making them a former servant or maid of a respected royal bloodline that has existed for generations and has confirmed heirs
    ** May not specify that the royal family are descendants of someone that usurped another family that was a completely different race than my own just to make sure the GM cannot try to link me to the previous dynasty in some distant manner
    *** May not further specify how all the other royal families of nearby neighboring kingdoms aren't the same race as me either just to make sure I'm not a lost heir of them either.
    **** If the GM has to hypothetically contrive it that I'm actually royalty of a completely different plane of existence if they were ever to try it at all, I might be overdoing it a little.

* May not start an insurance plan for finding out your a lost heir to orphaned adventurers to fund their rise to becoming king/queen so that they have to pay me every month they don't find out they're a lost heir then figure out ways of getting out of paying them in the improbable chance that they do.
    ** May not make up a fictional lost heir who is just myself to be the only successful claim so that I get all the money from myself "legitimately".
    *** May not start insurance plans involving prophecies to make money by bending the interpretations of said prophecies to my benefit
    **** May not try to commit insurance fraud through high fantasy tropes.

28. - Top - End - #388

My opening move in the mele can't be trying to drink one of the enemies.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I cannot have an awakened stirge PC.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

* May not start an insurance plan for finding out your a lost heir to orphaned adventurers to fund their rise to becoming king/queen so that they have to pay me every month they don't find out they're a lost heir then figure out ways of getting out of paying them in the improbable chance that they do.
    ** May not make up a fictional lost heir who is just myself to be the only successful claim so that I get all the money from myself "legitimately".
    *** May not start insurance plans involving prophecies to make money by bending the interpretations of said prophecies to my benefit
    **** May not try to commit insurance fraud through high fantasy tropes.
    I feel like 'high fantasy insurance fraud/fraud investigation' would be both fitting and entertaining in a Discworld game.