New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    I feel like 'high fantasy insurance fraud/fraud investigation' would be both fitting and entertaining in a Discworld game.
    I'm fairly certain that the Thieve's Guild puts a lot of work into clamping down on it. In-sewer-ants brings them a lot of money for not stealing things.

* Shouting At Foreigners should not be my only, or even just my highest, social skill.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* May not specifically craft my backstory so that my character is an orphan but cannot possibly be lost royalty by making them a former servant or maid of a respected royal bloodline that has existed for generations and has confirmed heirs
    ** May not specify that the royal family are descendants of someone that usurped another family that was a completely different race than my own just to make sure the GM cannot try to link me to the previous dynasty in some distant manner
    *** May not further specify how all the other royal families of nearby neighboring kingdoms aren't the same race as me either just to make sure I'm not a lost heir of them either.
    **** If the GM has to hypothetically contrive it that I'm actually royalty of a completely different plane of existence if they were ever to try it at all, I might be overdoing it a little.
    ... DMs seem to have way too much fun with the whole 'unknown royalty' thing. I had a character that nearly got stuffed onto an unwanted imperial throne (only didn't because I wanted to keep playing the character), and eventually became their own grandpa (times who-knows-how-many-greats) and becoming a legendary king in the past, courtesy of time travel nonsense.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My opening move in the mele can't be trying to drink one of the enemies.
    Not even if the enemy in question is liquid and adjacent at the time of said opening move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #394

My opening move in the mele can't be trying to drink one of the enemies.
    * Unless I'm a vampire

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    ... DMs seem to have way too much fun with the whole 'unknown royalty' thing. I had a character that nearly got stuffed onto an unwanted imperial throne (only didn't because I wanted to keep playing the character), and eventually became their own grandpa (times who-knows-how-many-greats) and becoming a legendary king in the past, courtesy of time travel nonsense.
    * my former maid characters response to the kingdom or royal family they served being in trouble may not be "oh that makes sense, their feudal royalty they get into wars like every summer or so." in a nonchalant manner
    ** If after saving the kingdom from whatever threat was after them may not turn down the king's offer of marriage to their prince by pointing out that I wrote down that my maid is a lesbian in their backstory from the very start
    *** if the princess I was childhood friends with suddenly proclaims their love for me out of nowhere after I turn down the previous offer and declare they will adopt children for heirs if need be then I know for sure that the GM is going out of their way to put me on the throne.
    **** may not try to convince the princess to abandon her position so that she can live a life of freedom and adventure with me instead if she loves me so much.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * I am no longer allowed to "do the nasty in the pasty."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

* If I cannot fimd a way to represent my medical condition in the rules my character may not share it.
    * There are no legitimate reasons to cry out 'I stab him with my eyes!'

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * There are no legitimate reasons to cry out 'I stab him with my eyes!'
    I am pretty sure that is called a glare.

** Eye stabs may be ranged attacks, but they do no damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post

** Eye stabs may be ranged attacks, but they do no damage.
    A recent session revealed that if looks could maim, my bard would need a regeneration spell. The party warlock glared at my bard.

* I (bard) may no longer prank the crowd without telling all of the rest of my party first.

** Turning the paladin into a Giant Ape so that my bard can play the role of Ann Darrow (Fay Wray), in our re enactment of "King Kong climbs the building" as a surprise ending to the performance I just did (queen in attendance), should not be a surprise to the sorcerer and warlock - they promptly attacked the giant ape! (I had to call the warlock off, telling him "I'm just pranking the crowd, the giant ape is our paladin, this is a show" .. which earned me The Glare).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-07-17 at 08:19 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    A recent session revealed that if looks could maim, my bard would need a regeneration spell. The party warlock glared at my bard.

* I (bard) may no longer prank the crowd without telling all of the rest of my party first.

** Turning the paladin into a Giant Ape so that my bard can play the role of Ann Darrow (Fay Wray), in our re enactment of "King Kong climbs the building" as a surprise ending to the performance I just did (queen in attendance), should not be a surprise to the sorcerer and warlock - they promptly attacked the giant ape! (I had to call the warlock off, telling him "I'm just pranking the crowd, the giant ape is our paladin, this is a show" .. which earned me The Glare).
    And, speaking as the DM, it was glorious to behold. Everyone acted just right. Even the dragon playing the part of biplane (she figured out that it was a prank, so was playing along).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

…You *€£^ers did WHAT? I need context. Now.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

No, I meant literally stab. You'd need pointed corneas, and those are a very bad thing in real life.

* If I take the drawback 'Bad Eyes (glasses correctable)' I cannot spend my entire starting wealth on a light pistol, a bus pass, and as many sets of contacts as I can.
    ** As a GM, cannot have a critical failure cause a character's contact lens to fall out.

Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    …You *€£^ers did WHAT? I need context. Now.
    If you're talking about KorvinStarmast & my comments, here's some context

Spoiler
    Show

I'm the DM for a game where he plays a bard. They're about level 13, which for the setting is legendary (for adventurers). They'd just finished a longer, stressful mission and were in downtime (except parts played out for character development.

His bard decided to put on a big performance, using up contacts she'd made earlier, in the capital city of one of the major nations. He coordinated with me in advance about the stunt, and coordinated with the party's paladin of Glory (who happens to be a halfling). But did not tell the rest of the party (the hexblade warlock or the sorcerer).

I threw in a bunch of NPC reactions, including the queen of that country (who happens to be a wizard and a former adventurer), a dragon (brass, whom the party had rescued/helped earlier and who hoards stories, also a long-ago adventurer transformed permanently via divine miracle), and the Immortal Bard (another former adventurer, whose divine miracle was agelessness, and who, along with the dragon, has quite a reputation in that area).

Concert went excellently, quite showy. Happened in an amphitheatre on an island in the middle of a river through the city, near a large tower belonging to the highest high-elven house of the nation. Who, as things had turned out, had been secretly brought in on things via bribery by one of the contacts. At that point they thought it was just going to be a light show. The sorcerer decided to play along with the show, doing things like illusions, fireballs, and walls of fire for visual effect.

At the end, they did some sleight of hand to transform the paladin, who was waiting in the wings, into a Giant Ape, who picked up the bard. At this point, the sorcerer and warlock, who didn't know the plan, jumped into combat mode (seeing their ally grabbed by a monster out of nowhere). The Immortal Bard figured out that it was a prank (having seen the polymorph cast) and called off the sorcerer after a lightning bolt or so, but the warlock? Kept chasing the Ape as it ran to the tower and climbed. The dragon, playing along once it figured out what happened, picked up the sorcerer and started buzzing the tower, which was all lit up so they were in full view of the entire city. Eventually the warlock got called off (after nearly breaking the polymorph) and jumped, thunder stepping at the last minute to avoid fall damage.

Basically, they then replicated the movie, with the ape-woman bonding (not bondage, that's different) scene, jumping off the tower, and ending the polymorph by casting invisibility on the paladin.

The queen, having put up detect magic, saw the whole thing and was just :popcorn:.

They're now...more famous than they already were. Biggest event of the decade in that city. Although the mechanical gnomes and the resulting 3-day firework show earlier that year...it's been an eventful summer for Crisial City.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    If you're talking about KorvinStarmast & my comments, here's some context

Spoiler
    Show

I'm the DM for a game where he plays a bard. They're about level 13, which for the setting is legendary (for adventurers). They'd just finished a longer, stressful mission and were in downtime (except parts played out for character development.

His bard decided to put on a big performance, using up contacts she'd made earlier, in the capital city of one of the major nations. He coordinated with me in advance about the stunt, and coordinated with the party's paladin of Glory (who happens to be a halfling). But did not tell the rest of the party (the hexblade warlock or the sorcerer).

I threw in a bunch of NPC reactions, including the queen of that country (who happens to be a wizard and a former adventurer), a dragon (brass, whom the party had rescued/helped earlier and who hoards stories, also a long-ago adventurer transformed permanently via divine miracle), and the Immortal Bard (another former adventurer, whose divine miracle was agelessness, and who, along with the dragon, has quite a reputation in that area).

Concert went excellently, quite showy. Happened in an amphitheatre on an island in the middle of a river through the city, near a large tower belonging to the highest high-elven house of the nation. Who, as things had turned out, had been secretly brought in on things via bribery by one of the contacts. At that point they thought it was just going to be a light show. The sorcerer decided to play along with the show, doing things like illusions, fireballs, and walls of fire for visual effect.

At the end, they did some sleight of hand to transform the paladin, who was waiting in the wings, into a Giant Ape, who picked up the bard. At this point, the sorcerer and warlock, who didn't know the plan, jumped into combat mode (seeing their ally grabbed by a monster out of nowhere). The Immortal Bard figured out that it was a prank (having seen the polymorph cast) and called off the sorcerer after a lightning bolt or so, but the warlock? Kept chasing the Ape as it ran to the tower and climbed. The dragon, playing along once it figured out what happened, picked up the sorcerer and started buzzing the tower, which was all lit up so they were in full view of the entire city. Eventually the warlock got called off (after nearly breaking the polymorph) and jumped, thunder stepping at the last minute to avoid fall damage.

Basically, they then replicated the movie, with the ape-woman bonding (not bondage, that's different) scene, jumping off the tower, and ending the polymorph by casting invisibility on the paladin.

The queen, having put up detect magic, saw the whole thing and was just :popcorn:.

They're now...more famous than they already were. Biggest event of the decade in that city. Although the mechanical gnomes and the resulting 3-day firework show earlier that year...it's been an eventful summer for Crisial City.
    Holy ****e. That’s some audacity.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

If you'd like a bit more detail I can PM you.
    Spoiler: how it turned into an ad hoc bit of fun
    Show
    I had sent the plan for the stunt to the DM since we had to engage some NPCs to get the right venue, stage, props, etc. (Contacts had been made via "XGTE Carousing" initially-they were the show's promoters). The paladin and I had to do some pre planning on discord, but RL had made doing 'out of session' stuff hard for the other two players, and, crucially, I was Not Going To Be at the session due to RL party for my wife. Our RL party for my wife ended up closing out early, I drop into Discord, thinking the paladin player and DM would have narrated the show to the others, and just wanted to see how things had gone for the session. I got "let's play this out" so we did.
    Great fun.
    How I set up the stunt with various bard skills and various spells I made sure to go into a lot of detail so the DM would see how I was going from one thing to the other. It's in a pdf document
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-07-17 at 02:42 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

16. - Top - End - #406

EvilClericGuy

Players like that are *WHY* we DM.

And drink. But mostly DM.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

17. - Top - End - #407
    Colossus in the Playground

*After killing the necromancer, we have to kill his slaymate.
    **We cannot keep the slaymate.
    ***She is an undead abomination driven by rage at the death caused by abuse and/or neglect from a trusted guardian, not "our adorable new mascot."
    ****I cannot make a point of tucking her in and reading her bedtime stories every night.
    *****I cannot legally adopt her.
    ******Any druid or good-aligned cleric we encounter will probably try to destroy her on sight.
    *******No one in the party uses metamagic feats or necromancy spells for frick's sake.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

*After killing the necromancer, we have to kill his slaymate.
    **We cannot keep the slaymate.
    ***She is an undead abomination driven by rage at the death caused by abuse and/or neglect from a trusted guardian, not "our adorable new mascot."
    ****I cannot make a point of tucking her in and reading her bedtime stories every night.
    *****I cannot legally adopt her.
    ******Any druid or good-aligned cleric we encounter will probably try to destroy her on sight.
    *******No one in the party uses metamagic feats or necromancy spells for frick's sake.
    If you can’t take advantage of her doesn’t that make it a better thing to do?

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

* May no longer get the DM to approve a character while drunk.
    ** May no longer insist the 8 int, 8 wis, 8 cha participate in social activities.
    *** May not roll so much better than the buffed bard that NPCs need to get their sexual preferences retconned to "loud ugly smelly fur loincloth wearing lardball with no table manners".
    **** May not have any character where "don't image search this" is part of the conversation or description.
    ***** May no longer have characters where a successful seduction check leads to NPCs having to make fear saves.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    **** May not have any character where "don't image search this" is part of the conversation or description.
    ***** May no longer have characters where a successful seduction check leads to NPCs having to make fear saves.
    Fun. That's what it's all about.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

May no longer kidnap an Elf king at a peaceful negotiation, leading to a full-scale war between the humans and Elves eventually resulting in the total collapse of the Elf kingdom.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

*Water elementals are not weak to straws
    **Or sponges.
    *Stone to flesh on an earth elemental, while allowed, is messy
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

*I am no longer allowed to place prismatic walls behind illusions.
    **Especially if that illusion shows what is normally in the room.
    ***This holds doubly true if the room happens to be the inn room where the characters are staying.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-07-20 at 02:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Colossus in the Playground

*I cannot run a game that can accurately be summarized as "use Metal Gears to fight the Reapers from Mass Effect."
    **Commander Shepard is not in any conceivable way descended from Big Boss.
    ***I cannot cite the fact that the Poker Night at the Inventory series states that Brock Samson is a descendent of Ash Williams to support my theory that Shepard is descended from Big Boss.
    ****The military-grade gene mods to improve strength, toughness, and recovery are not the perfect versions of the Big Boss-derived gene mods used to create the Genome Soldiers.
    *****The entire point was that genes aren't as important as training and experience.
    ******Cannot point out that Big Boss and his clones demonstrably possess superhuman physical characteristics and thus the idea that he has "perfect soldier genes" does in fact have a degree of merit, especially in a world with superpower granting gene enhancements, biotech, and Nanomachines, son.
    *******"Nanomachines, son" is not a proper noun.
    ********I must stop attaching ", son" to the end of every instance of the word "Nanomachines..."
    *********..., son.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

* May not respond to anything Metal Gear related with "Last Days of Foxhound did that universe better"

* May not parody the "genetic super-soldier" concept by making a person genetically engineered to be the world's best Uno player
    ** may not make the world's best uno player act like Perfect Cell
    *** May not have all the genes from the best uno playing races in the galaxy

* May not make a Toxic Friendship Beam
    ** Or run my machines on the power of Abusive Family
    *** Or defeat the villain with the power of One-Sided Love
    **** May not subvert defeating villains with abstract concepts into twisted versions of themselves that also exist.

* Eberron Shifters are not catgirls
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-21 at 05:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

***** Can not defeat villains with the power of school bullying either even if it is arguably less horrible than killing them.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Firbolg in the Playground

* May not parody the "genetic super-soldier" concept by making a person genetically engineered to be the world's best Uno player
    **Also may not create a race of super-hippies to protest the super-soldiers
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    **Also may not create a race of super-hippies to protest the super-soldiers
    *** I may not think about making a game where it is discovered that the genes for being a super hippie are not as important for being super intensely peaceful as are finding the right weeds to smoke or as reaching the right state of mind through "Oh man I wish I could explain how I got in this state but it is righteous" and which ends up with a super hippie getting depressed about not being as peaceful as an hippie could be.
    **** No it is not a good idea to make remakes of all the metal gear games but with super hippies and peace rallies instead of super soldiers and giant warbots.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-21 at 03:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

* "Fireball" is not Draconic for "Screw everything in a 20ft radius that way"
    ** Nor is Lightning Bolt's verbal component "Screw Everything in Front of My Finger."
    *** Disintegrate's and Finger of Death's real names are not "Screw That Guy Hard In Particular" and "Screw him so hard his corpse feels sorry for attacking" respectively.
    **** Meteor Swarm's real name is not "Screw everything in that general area"

*May not make an "Ever-Replenishing Deck of Many Things" that never runs out of cards
    ** May not make it a cursed item that binds itself to you when you pick it up
    *** May not make it so that you can only get rid of it by deceiving others into buying it from you in a dishonest trade.
    **** May not make it try to compel you to draw a card from it with a will save once every day.

* My WH40k character may not be a primitive tribal human speaking a language evolved from chatspeak and internet lingo while wearing emoji masks
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-21 at 08:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

*May not make an "Ever-Replenishing Deck of Many Things" that never runs out of cards
    ** May not make it a cursed item that binds itself to you when you pick it up
    *** May not make it so that you can only get rid of it by deceiving others into buying it from you in a dishonest trade.
    **** May not make it try to compel you to draw a card from it with a will save once every day.
    That is possibly truly the most evil cursed item ever created... May I sig it?
    Last edited by DCraw; 2021-07-22 at 06:35 AM.