New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

*Attempts to play as Mister Magoo should not end as being Old Man Henderson.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    One word: Hirelings.
    Some people likes to see many many hirelings die horribly.
    The solution I remember hearing for it was to drill down into it from the top of the hill
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I've played one and am playing another game of it as a tiefling vampire, first was an attempt at a gish but I learned my lesson from that and now play pure assassin, because at least with Rogue Trader psyker powers, I know how to optimize a character to safely cast spells.
    Yeah, the game has some issues mixing combat and magic. Doable, but you need to be pretty specific about the builds because gish options are scarce.

Off topic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Safe casting comes down to rerolling warp crap, avoiding warp crap, or offloading it to someone else. Chosen of Tzeench makes the last one, you're safe except for the occasional daemon (more xp!). Avoidance comes down to two options, piles of rolled dice & fettered casting (eldarin+dragonkin = +2k0 all casts & high casting stats) or dropping 10s. Interestingly paragons are great safe casters once you hit level 3 & power stat 3. Drop 10s and spend pressure to make all your rolls. Rerolling has 3 options, atlantean, druid, wraithbone bionic heart. Annoy the dm by stacking all three.

The gish issue is that casting in melee provokes opportunity attacks. Even the parry & dodge spells technically provoke. The only way around it is a feat in one level 4 class. Granted, the spell-sword class is prett gish-in-a-can, but that's limiting.

Werewolf transmuter druid was pretty good. Swift change lets them swap into armor when they go war-form and the physical stat boosts are good on them. Plus the +1k1 transmutation werewolf asset & rerolling warps.

Under original rules though, squat daemonhost, take evocation as your magic, the first tech-priest level then the courtier track, snag a machinator array + power armor, tough as nails + sturdy + the squat armor & defense assets. Max wisdom & constitution, high/max willpower & charisma. You start resilience 6/7, def 30, ap 12, -6 damage from daemonhost, like 16+ hp, and the courtier track is fast advancement. Physical combat is "dull" as you just do healing surge (+5 def), free action recover the rp, then magic explode something.

Assimar vamp necromancer with wraithbone melee weapon, channel Draining Touch with a melee attack. Throw the 1/whatever asset to add your charisma as rolled damage dice on the spell. For super damage use atlantean & energy grasp instead.

Divination abuse on a hunting rifle or power attack & sword school. Basically you do atlantean-wraithbone heart-overcast Luck and use that to offset to-hit penalties from power attack and maneuvers while boosting damage. Or just massively overshoot with accurate weapons (abuse custom weapons for accurate + full auto + aim as a reaction guns).

The halfling dodge tank flamer god was harsh. Transmutation daemonhost halfling druid aiming to get dexterity to 6 & a good quality flamer, buff dex with magic. TN 35+ dex save vs flamer damage. Snag double tap and dual hand flamers if you're mean.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The solution I remember hearing for it was to drill down into it from the top of the hill
    Sounds idiotic, it would have been easy for an arch-demilich to fill the bill with traps. The only foolproof way is to disintegrate the hill entirely.

* I am not allowed to run crossover campaigns until I use properties that my players have heard of.
    ** Both properties, so 'Mass Effect crossed with Revelation Space' is still out.
    *** The Reapers are not wimps for allowing ships to get away.
    **** I should admit that the inhibitors don't have a perfect track record either.
    *** If I'm combining a setting with FTL travel with one where the universe literally takes offence to the conflict I should warn the players before they fire the drive.
    **** Definitely not after TPK.

I didn't notice until recently that the Reapers and Inhibitors do very similar things, lurking in the starless dark to exterminate any life that gets past a certain level. They just have to deal with very different universes and the Inhibitors have a much more understandable motivation (they're trying to keep life at the planet bound level so that in a few billion years they can rearrange the galaxy and reduce the death toll from the collision with Andromeda without any major issues, but prevent a biological intelligence/artificial intelligence war by starting many).
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-05-25 at 02:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Yeah, the game has some issues mixing combat and magic. Doable, but you need to be pretty specific about the builds because gish options are scarce.

Off topic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Safe casting comes down to rerolling warp crap, avoiding warp crap, or offloading it to someone else. Chosen of Tzeench makes the last one, you're safe except for the occasional daemon (more xp!). Avoidance comes down to two options, piles of rolled dice & fettered casting (eldarin+dragonkin = +2k0 all casts & high casting stats) or dropping 10s. Interestingly paragons are great safe casters once you hit level 3 & power stat 3. Drop 10s and spend pressure to make all your rolls. Rerolling has 3 options, atlantean, druid, wraithbone bionic heart. Annoy the dm by stacking all three.

The gish issue is that casting in melee provokes opportunity attacks. Even the parry & dodge spells technically provoke. The only way around it is a feat in one level 4 class. Granted, the spell-sword class is prett gish-in-a-can, but that's limiting.

Werewolf transmuter druid was pretty good. Swift change lets them swap into armor when they go war-form and the physical stat boosts are good on them. Plus the +1k1 transmutation werewolf asset & rerolling warps.

Under original rules though, squat daemonhost, take evocation as your magic, the first tech-priest level then the courtier track, snag a machinator array + power armor, tough as nails + sturdy + the squat armor & defense assets. Max wisdom & constitution, high/max willpower & charisma. You start resilience 6/7, def 30, ap 12, -6 damage from daemonhost, like 16+ hp, and the courtier track is fast advancement. Physical combat is "dull" as you just do healing surge (+5 def), free action recover the rp, then magic explode something.

Assimar vamp necromancer with wraithbone melee weapon, channel Draining Touch with a melee attack. Throw the 1/whatever asset to add your charisma as rolled damage dice on the spell. For super damage use atlantean & energy grasp instead.

Divination abuse on a hunting rifle or power attack & sword school. Basically you do atlantean-wraithbone heart-overcast Luck and use that to offset to-hit penalties from power attack and maneuvers while boosting damage. Or just massively overshoot with accurate weapons (abuse custom weapons for accurate + full auto + aim as a reaction guns).

The halfling dodge tank flamer god was harsh. Transmutation daemonhost halfling druid aiming to get dexterity to 6 & a good quality flamer, buff dex with magic. TN 35+ dex save vs flamer damage. Snag double tap and dual hand flamers if you're mean.
    Gishing is fun but I have absolutely no idea what most of that means. I'm guessing that's more WH40K than D&D in terms of mechanics?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Gishing is fun but I have absolutely no idea what most of that means. I'm guessing that's more WH40K than D&D in terms of mechanics?
    Spoiler: Tangental
    Show
    Yeeeeah, Dungeons the Dragoning is a frankensteinian hodgepodge of mostly Storyteller and Fantasy flight era Wh40k mechanics, with the lore of 40k, planescape, Exalted and some other sources put in a blender. spellcasting is basically "go full caster or go home", and all those builds sound too mechanics first for my taste to be interesting to me. I'm more a concept first kind of person, its why I like systems like M&M and Fate. Systems like DnD that give you so many seemingly conceptually cool options but then you actually look at how they add up and as a result the fluff gets ignored so that its torn out so that all the options are instead are used as legos to build something that from a conceptual fluff standpoint is this weird frankenstein but mechanically makes sense, which I don't like.

So when it turns out my conceptual "tiefling vampire spellsword idea" is a bad idea mechanically, it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

* Cannot bling out all my equipment
    ** The purpose of gold and gems is to spend them for other things. not decorate my armor and weaponry so that I look like the gaudiest adventurer ever
    *** firing diamond tipped bullets doesn't make them more penetrating
    **** Cannot try to justify the bling by trying to make my armor so shiny it blinds my foes with the light reflected off of it as a combat advantage.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sounds idiotic, it would have been easy for an arch-demilich to fill the bill with traps. The only foolproof way is to disintegrate the hill entirely.

* I am not allowed to run crossover campaigns until I use properties that my players have heard of.
    ** Both properties, so 'Mass Effect crossed with Revelation Space' is still out.
    *** The Reapers are not wimps for allowing ships to get away.
    **** I should admit that the inhibitors don't have a perfect track record either.
    *** If I'm combining a setting with FTL travel with one where the universe literally takes offence to the conflict I should warn the players before they fire the drive.
    **** Definitely not after TPK.

I didn't notice until recently that the Reapers and Inhibitors do very similar things, lurking in the starless dark to exterminate any life that gets past a certain level. They just have to deal with very different universes and the Inhibitors have a much more understandable motivation (they're trying to keep life at the planet bound level so that in a few billion years they can rearrange the galaxy and reduce the death toll from the collision with Andromeda without any major issues, but prevent a biological intelligence/artificial intelligence war by starting many).
    Isn't Mass Effect crossed with Revelation Space just either Revelation Space with more active/human aliens, or Mass Effect with more powerful reapers?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Isn't Mass Effect crossed with Revelation Space just either Revelation Space with more active/human aliens, or Mass Effect with more powerful reapers?
    Pretty much, except the Conjoiners could probably fight the Reapers to a standstill without hypermetric or Hell Class weapons. So you'd most likely lean towards the latter and set such a game post-Conjoiner Exodus.

Although you also have the Melding Plague to deal with (how common is nanotech in ME), and the relatively more advanced state of humanity in Revelation Space. Plus if we just replace the Systems Alliance with Revelation Space humanity you end up with still as ambitious, but much more divided and crazy humanity.

One that would probably prefer not to be a Citadel species, so it could continue researching what it wants to thank you very much.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I looked it up on TvTropes and boy that ending sucks ass.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #40

Although you also have the Melding Plague to deal with (how common is nanotech in ME)
    It's pretty much just the Reapers(for making Husks) and maybe Cerebus's project Lazarus unless you go for the Synthesis ending(A sapient life in the Galaxy, including the Reapers, becomes a perfect fusion of biology and technology)

Apprently ME5 is coming back to the Milky Way instead of continuing the story in Andromeda. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the three endings of ME3 because I'm not seeing those three endings leading into the same story either right way or centuries later.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's pretty much just the Reapers(for making Husks) and maybe Cerebus's project Lazarus unless you go for the Synthesis ending(A sapient life in the Galaxy, including the Reapers, becomes a perfect fusion of biology and technology)

Apprently ME5 is coming back to the Milky Way instead of continuing the story in Andromeda. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the three endings of ME3 because I'm not seeing those three endings leading into the same story either right way or centuries later.
    Weren't ME3's endings all essentially the same except for color? Also what happened to ME4?

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #42

Weren't ME3's endings all essentially the same except for color? Also what happened to ME4?
    They released a DLC that showed the actual consequences of the choices.

In short, the Destroy ending destroys all th e reapers but also the Geth if they're still around and any other AI or advanced VI.

The control ending Has Shepard merge himself with the consciousness controlling the Rapers and assume direct control, essentially using them to police the Galaxy.

The synthesis ending combines Shepard's cybernetics with reaper technology to upgrade all sapient races into highly advanced cyborgs(which also gives the Geth and other Synthetic beings a prior understanding of Organic PoVs) and brings peace between the Reapers.

synthesis is treated as the best ending, but there was very little foreshadowing for it as an option and previous attempts at Synthesis between synthetics and organics had been shown as failures. I've heard it suggested that Andromeda's plot was partially to rectify this.

And I'm counting Andromeda as 4 because it's the fourth main game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

They released a DLC that showed the actual consequences of the choices.

In short, the Destroy ending destroys all th e reapers but also the Geth if they're still around and any other AI or advanced VI.

The control ending Has Shepard merge himself with the consciousness controlling the Reapers and assume direct control, essentially using them to police the Galaxy.

The synthesis ending combines Shepard's cybernetics with reaper technology to upgrade all sapient races into highly advanced cyborgs(which also gives the Geth and other Synthetic beings a prior understanding of Organic PoVs) and brings peace between the Reapers.

synthesis is treated as the best ending, but there was very little foreshadowing for it as an option and previous attempts at Synthesis between synthetics and organics had been shown as failures. I've heard it suggested that Andromeda's plot was partially to rectify this.

And I'm counting Andromeda as 4 because it's the fourth main game.
    Ah, right. I heard that the DLC came out because people complained about the endings in the base game being crap though. I've also heard something about executive meddling changing the direction of the plot and the Reapers' motivations?

Incidentally, is Synthesis is the "canon" ending?

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #44

Ah, right. I heard that the DLC came out because people complained about the endings in the base game being crap though. I've also heard something about executive meddling changing the direction of the plot and the Reapers' motivations?

Incidentally, is Synthesis is the "canon" ending?
    We'll have to wait and see.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I looked it up on TvTropes and boy that ending sucks ass.
    While I've not read the short story where it goes into more detail, in the main Tillich the presentation makes it work. Humanity is now on the run forever, but it has a long future ahead of itself.

Yeah, sadly that probably means the Melding Plague is basically nothing. I'd have thought that at least the Salarians have something.

Also give me two hours and I could come up with a brief that could come sheet either Synthesis of Destroy. You'd have it ambiguous as to whether the bio/tech state was the result of picking pastachio ice cream or just the result of hundreds of years, keep the Reapers and Geth away from the plot, and include elements that would point to contradictory choices.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

While I've not read the short story where it goes into more detail, in the main Tillich the presentation makes it work. Humanity is now on the run forever, but it has a long future ahead of itself.
    I was talking about the end of the series. Big oof.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #47

Tech comparison between Revelation Space and Mass Effect are interesting. On the one Hand, any of the Conjoiners, Demarchy or Ultras are miles ahead in AI, Chemistry, Medicine, Genetics, Nanotech, Engineering, Industry, Cybernetics, Computing power, pure Energy Output and especially planet-scale Doomsday Weapons, but the Systems Alliance has FTL, which is the great equalizer. For all their tech, lighthuggers still measure travel times between systems in years and decades.

So, while humanity in RS is infinitely more factionalized and fractured, that is probably in a large part because they can't jump between systems in hours, so a lot of local cultures can develop. There probably wouldn't quite be a clustertruck like Resurgam in Systems Alliance space.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-05-25 at 08:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Tech comparison between Revelation Space and Mass Effect are interesting. On the one Hand, any of the Conjoiners, Demarchy or Ultras are miles ahead in AI, Chemistry, Medicine, Genetics, Nanotech, Engineering, Industry, Cybernetics, Computing power, pure Energy Output and especially planet-scale Doomsday Weapons, but the Systems Alliance has FTL, which is the great equalizer. For all their tech, lighthuggers still measure travel times between systems in years and decades.

So, while humanity in RS is infinitely more factionalized and fractured, that is probably in a large part because they can't jump between systems in hours, so a lot of local cultures can develop. There probably wouldn't quite be a clustertruck like Resurgam in Systems Alliance space.
    Apparently FTL doesn't work in RS? How does interstellar travel even work?

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

***** May not somehow get rich from being somehow able to make new bottlecaps, thus contributing to the wasteland economy
    And that's how counterfeit law was returned to the wasteland: inflation never changes.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I was talking about the end of the series. Big oof.
    So was I. The presentation in the trilogy is relatively uplifting, but it's brief compared to the treatment in Galactic North

Apparently FTL doesn't work in RS? How does interstellar travel even work?
    It doesn't. The universe takes offence and retroactively kills you. At the very least if you try doing it via inertia manipulation, the only method tried in the series.

Interstellar travel is sublight. Human starships are four kilometre* long cones (to deal with drag from interstellar hydrogen) covered in ice, with two spurs a kilometre from the end (which then tapers to a point) each with an engine attached. These engines invoice such a powerful energy source that they throw remass out at practically the speed of light, allowing practically constant adventuresome at 1g. Cue near-light travel, hence the name Lighthugger.

Basically, brute force and it's incredibly uncasual for a space opera. Most Lighthuggers are falling apart, take subjective years and occasionally objective decades to get anywhere, and the Conjoiners have stopped building the bloody things and won't give anybody else the plans.

* With one half sized exception.

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

So when it turns out my conceptual "tiefling vampire spellsword idea" is a bad idea mechanically, it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I think it mostly depends on what a person's interpretation of the gish concept is and how limited you are to the original spells (a number of them are pretty trash). And build stubs always sound mechanical without a character on them.

On topic:
    * Pretty certain I won't be allowed to use "electric unicorn fruity cereal bones coffee" as a character concept in just about any game.
    ** Does not mean I should make npcs & orgs out of it next time I run a game.

22. - Top - End - #52

*Homestuck trolls are not an option in Dungeons the Dragoning.
    **I can't be a double vampire by being a Jadeblood Rainbow Drinker with the Vampire Exaltation.
    ***Being a JAdeblood does not make me impervious to sunlight by default as a vampire.
    ****Sburb/Sgrub classspects are not an Exaltation.
    *****Do you have any idea how much work that would entail?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #53

So was I. The presentation in the trilogy is relatively uplifting, but it's brief compared to the treatment in Galactic North

It doesn't. The universe takes offence and retroactively kills you. At the very least if you try doing it via inertia manipulation, the only method tried in the series.

Interstellar travel is sublight. Human starships are four kilometre* long cones (to deal with drag from interstellar hydrogen) covered in ice, with two spurs a kilometre from the end (which then tapers to a point) each with an engine attached. These engines invoice such a powerful energy source that they throw remass out at practically the speed of light, allowing practically constant adventuresome at 1g. Cue near-light travel, hence the name Lighthugger.

Basically, brute force and it's incredibly uncasual for a space opera. Most Lighthuggers are falling apart, take subjective years and occasionally objective decades to get anywhere, and the Conjoiners have stopped building the bloody things and won't give anybody else the plans.

* With one half sized exception.
    Reynolds is also an astrophycisist, so he applies relativity quite consistently. A journey that takes a decade or two of "outside" time may only take a few years "ship" time.

This has the interesting side effect that ship crews (who don't go into cryosleep like their passengers do) have become their own isolated culture, the Ultras. Many of them are several centuries old in planetside time and basically never leave their mostly empty ships.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

*Homestuck trolls are not an option in Dungeons the Dragoning.
    **I can't be a double vampire by being a Jadeblood Rainbow Drinker with the Vampire Exaltation.
    ***Being a JAdeblood does not make me impervious to sunlight by default as a vampire.
    ****Sburb/Sgrub classspects are not an Exaltation.
    *****Do you have any idea how much work that would entail?
    * Especially since we don't even know what most Classpects even do, unless we go deep into fan extrapolation/theorizing.
    ** Any system that requires people to watch optimisticduelist videos to understand the powersets is probably not going to work
    *** Good luck trying to explain to people how the Rage Aspect is more than just Rage
    **** or all the things the Light Aspect actually represents or is connected to
    ***** Or what Void is about
    ****** or explain the Doom or Blood Aspects, given that they are two aspects we see the least of.
    ******* Of course whats arguably even more confusing is the Classes and the whole passive/active thing that may or may not be accurate, especially the Bard class, which is NOT like DnD bards.
    ******** Or that the abilities can vary widely depending on the classpect combination
    ********* And how all this only works in the context of being a teenager who needs undergo an arc to grow up.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-25 at 01:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

As far as I understand it, the blood Aspect is about connections. Karkat, as the Knight of Blood, arms himself with connections between people: It is explicitly noted that he's actually a pretty competent leader because any other leader would have resulted in everyone killing each other much sooner instead of only after getting effectively screwed out of their victory, then spending an extended period of time having difficult sleep and the one psycho running out of meds.

It's also important to note that he managed to befriend the Jack Noir of his session, the one who became Spades Slick, when all other incarnations of Jack were antagonists...

Breath is also about connections, but not to the same degree. Aspects seem to have a degree of overlap.

I kind of want to know what a Prince or Bard of Blood would be. It'd basically boil down to "destroy a friendship or destroy with friendship."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Homestuck tangent
    Show
    Yeah, about that, fan theories I've seen agree that Jack Noir would be a Prince of Blood, since genocide using the Red Miles is the basically the biggest destruction of unity and connections one could possibly do. Its red, it severs a lot of connections at once, it often leads bleeding corpses...it fits.

like we have to remember that an Aspect is often dual-natured: its not just the presence of the aspect, but the negative
    side of it or absence of it, and as well as the literal manifestation of it. Blood could mean connections....or the severing or ending of them by making one bleed on the ground. It could also meant he end of friendships metaphorically which Jack Noir also does a lot. its not as if he friendly with a lot of people. Aspects are very holistic and up in the air, and really the best way to represent them would be some system like Nobilis.

Speaking of Nobilis:
    * Estate of "DC Universe" does not have properties of "(1) DC Universe Retcons things, (2) DC Universe is driven to bring morality and heroism, (3) DC Universe makes things overpowered."
    ** Estate of "Marvel Universe" does not have the properties of "(1) Marvel Universe makes underdog heroes, (2) Marvel Universe creates secret conspiracies from nowhere (3) Marvel Universe makes great films"
    *** The estate of "Hulk" may not only be "(1) Hulk Smash"
    **** The Estate of Dragonball does not have the properties of "(1) Dragon Ball creates new superforms from nowhere (2) Dragon Ball cheaply brings back the dead (3) Dragon Ball is obsessed with fighting and is dumb fun"
    ***** The Estate of Firefly may not have the property of "(1) Firefly only lasts for one season."
    ****** Can't have an Estate of a particular franchise

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Reynolds is also an astrophycisist, so he applies relativity quite consistently. A journey that takes a decade or two of "outside" time may only take a few years "ship" time.

This has the interesting side effect that ship crews (who don't go into cryosleep like their passengers do) have become their own isolated culture, the Ultras. Many of them are several centuries old in planetside time and basically never leave their mostly empty ships.
    You're forgetting the Skyjacks. Everybody forgets the other space based culture in that universe. Probably because they show up so rarely.

And yeah, he's ex-ESA, as I remember his star map and travel distances are incredibly accurate, relativity is consistently obeyed, and I think any time orbital dynamics comes up he's spot on as well. Also, while I disagree on the possibility of some technology, he has apparently included nothing he thought was impossible at time of submission.

Lighthuggers are also, as I remember, incredibly expensive to build even if the other cultures could and would build Conjoiner Drives, and even with their automated repair systems require a small army of engineers but to fall apart. The Nostalgia for Infinity's problems were caused as much by a lack of crew as everything else.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Do other lighthuggers have more crew? I don't think the other few that showed up had more than a handful of crewmembers left either.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Do other lighthuggers have more crew? I don't think the other few that showed up had more than a handful of crewmembers left either.
    The Nostalgia for Infinity's had at the beginning of the series four crew members, and is pretty much the only ultra ship we get hard numbers on. But in Aurora Rising a Lighthugger captain mentions that he doesn't meet new crew members but just gives them the Blood and Thinner speech over the intercom, meaning that we have at least enough crew in what seems to be a relatively normal Lighthugger for at least one layer of management. A small army might be an overstatement, but there's a significant number. I'd guess at 50-500 depending on the ship.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Huh. Apparently, there's a Revelation Space story I haven't read? I don't think I know Aurora Rising.

Edit: Oh, apparently, The Prefect was renamed.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-05-25 at 04:21 PM.