New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    If the ancient "kill all life" evil reawakened, a massive interstellar genocidal war, a nanotech hive mind grey goo scenario, and a demon lord ascending to god-hood by eating 30 star systems billions of inhabitants, are the least dangerous doom clocks going in the campaign...
    * My reaction to this may not be a blase "huh, a high level Wh40k game, never thought that was possible without just destroying everything"
    ** my not suggest that these doom clocks fight each other to try and weaken them to make my job easier
    *** May not bring in my godlike Jumper character with old planeswalker powers to fight these things
    **** Or my ten thousand year old dragon artificer character
    ***** my dragonball z cyborg girl character who is completely pragmatic and will take whatever measures to destroy these threats to all life she can
    ****** May not suggest that the next PCs you recruit are in the superhero to godlike range of power.
    ******* May not suggest a hyper-hacker to take control of the nanotech hive mind and angel to redeem the evil and demon lord with compassion to team up against the real threats.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-10-09 at 01:46 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* If the party becoming... essentially nomadic Time Lords who can spank gods like naughty puppies, but who can't interact with the Prime Material too much without risking time itself dissolving like cotton candy under Niagara Falls and/or a mystic amnesia plague destroying all civilization is the logical outcome, it's hard to tell whether something has gone wrong or gone right.

* If the party keep causing calamities then running away, having one already happening when they arrive, but that's still their fault because they broke causality, is logical, but maybe a bit mean.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    * My reaction to this may not be a blase "huh, a high level Wh40k game, never thought that was possible without just destroying everything"
    ** my not suggest that these doom clocks fight each other to try and weaken them to make my job easier
    *** May not bring in my godlike Jumper character with old planeswalker powers to fight these things
    **** Or my ten thousand year old dragon artificer character.
    Well its Dungeons th Dragoning 40k 7e sillyness, so not far off. Getting some of the doom clocks to interfere with each other is possible, but they're in different quadrants of the universe and once they're big enough to encounter one another they may be too much for anyone. Yeah, there's 25k year old dragon demi-gods around, one of the lesser dooms is scheduled to eat one of them and the space fleet provided by the others. They'll spend most of the campaign in regrouping & damage control.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

* May not steal an electric guitar weapon from an Ork
    ** May not learn musical martial arts from it
    I mean, stealing a trog rocker's guitar will get you a front row view of some martial arts, musical or otherwise. But you'll probably have better success if you just ask them to teach you..

Of course trog rock is like MESSERKAMPF! on steroids.

* My Shadowrun character concept cannot be 'trog rocker who mistook Mr Johnson for their manager'.
    ** Modern trog rock does not feature trombones as vital instruments.
    *** I'm not allowed to stick a shotgun in any other instrument, and I'm to stop trying.

...actually I can imagine an all-ork brass band. It would be completely amazing, by which I mean 'guaranteed tinnitus'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, stealing a trog rocker's guitar will get you a front row view of some martial arts, musical or otherwise. But you'll probably have better success if you just ask them to teach you..

Of course trog rock is like MESSERKAMPF! on steroids.

* My Shadowrun character concept cannot be 'trog rocker who mistook Mr Johnson for their manager'.
    ** Modern trog rock does not feature trombones as vital instruments.
    *** I'm not allowed to stick a shotgun in any other instrument, and I'm to stop trying.

...actually I can imagine an all-ork brass band. It would be completely amazing, by which I mean 'guaranteed tinnitus'.
    Seventy-six trombones led the recent waaahg, with one-hundred-and-twelve coronets right behind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Seventy-six trombones led the recent waaahg, with one-hundred-and-twelve coronets right behind...
    I was thinking more 'distract the security guards while you swipe the prototype', but yeah.

* There is no excuse for running a Scion/Shadowrun crossover.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

*There is no excuse for running a Scion/Shadowrun crossover.
    ** A Doctor Who/WH 40k crossover is RIGHT OUT.
    *** Even if the Master would make an excellent leader for the Traitor Legions and demons from the Warp.
    **** Maybe especially because the Master would ruin the stalemate between Chaos and Order.
    ***** No, BAD WOLF cannot be the the codename for a chapter of powerful Space Wolf psykers.
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-10-10 at 08:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    ** A Doctor Who/WH 40k crossover is RIGHT OUT.
    *** Even if the Master would make an excellent leader for the Traitor Legions and demons from the Warp.
    **** Maybe especially because the Master would ruin the stalemate between Chaos and Order.
    ***** No, BAD WOLF cannot be the the codename for a chapter of powerful Space Wolf psykers.
    Eh, I think The Master is more likely to worm his way into the Administratum or the like, using his Time Lord knowledge to create false STCs and manipulate the Tech Priests. He's really good at abusing order (especially if you assume that The War Chief is an earlier regeneration, which isn't canon but just works).

And don't be silly, Space Wolves don't have psykers. They have Rune Priests

Show

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * If the party becoming... essentially nomadic Time Lords who can spank gods like naughty puppies, but who can't interact with the Prime Material too much without risking time itself dissolving like cotton candy under Niagara Falls and/or a mystic amnesia plague destroying all civilization is the logical outcome, it's hard to tell whether something has gone wrong or gone right.

* If the party keep causing calamities then running away, having one already happening when they arrive, but that's still their fault because they broke causality, is logical, but maybe a bit mean.
    Wait, have you been watching our game that PhoenixPhyre DM's?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    : Popcorn:
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I was going to ask 'who's PhoenixPhyre', but they are apparently here with popcorn, so...

The first was something that actually happened in the campaign world that I have been playing in for nearly 20 years, the second was just my weird brain doing its thing.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2022-10-10 at 04:50 PM.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Colossus in the Playground

If I introduce a demonic catgirl by having her say "Pwease awow me to introwoduce myself..." I will be shot.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1243

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If I introduce a demonic catgirl by having her say "Pwease awow me to introwoduce myself..." I will be shot.
    Rate Two oh Two's a demon cat
    He'll introduce himself
    He's been around a long, long year
    A cat of taste and wealth
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2022-10-10 at 10:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1244

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Rate Two oh Two's a demon cat
    She'll introduce herself
    "Rate Two oh Two" prefers He/Him pronouns.

Singular they is also acceptable.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-10-10 at 08:30 PM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1245

Editted.

I was going off the description of the character as a "catgirl", but lacking the character's name...

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Editted.

I was going off the description of the character as a "catgirl", but lacking the character's name...
    How dare you assume all catgirls fall within your gender binary!

* There should be at least one party member without a crippling drug addiction.

Show

17. - Top - End - #1247

How dare you assume all catgirls fall within your gender binary!

* There should be at least one party member without a crippling drug addiction.
    * No, one character being catatonic from withdrawal instead doesn't help.

* 'Mysterious Character dropping from the sky who's actually a past character' becoming a cliche probably means we need to stop finishing one-shots by dropping random PCs out of airships.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

* No, one character being catatonic from withdrawal instead doesn't help.
    Withdrawal? I've seen a Shadowrun character begin with thousands of doses of Novacoke, and take it every ten minutes. Sadly that player left before they suffered the consequences.

When I'm making characters I tend to default to taking one, but that's because it justifies having a supply of a legitimately useful item. A hermetic mage can really benefit from having Psyche on hand.

* 'Mysterious Character dropping from the sky who's actually a past character' becoming a cliche probably means we need to stop finishing one-shots by dropping random PCs out of airships.
    ** The solution is not to throw the entire party out of the airship.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to ask 'who's PhoenixPhyre', but they are apparently here with popcorn, so...

The first was something that actually happened in the campaign world that I have been playing in for nearly 20 years, the second was just my weird brain doing its thing.
    The reason I ask is that our party (now level 12) has been going through these weird time bubbles for a lot of the campaign; we end up moving back decades or centuries, and dealing with strange stuff, and it does weird stuff to causality. At one point, I had to ask the DM to sketch out a set of time lines because the bouncing from one to the other time frame was getting very confusing. And if we mess up, we get to sing that song by REM.

We had a cameo appearance by a lvl 20 PC from our first campaign drop in, accompanied by a cat, two sessions ago. We only knew who he was OOC, but he did what I expected him to do: wield the blade. And then he left, with that cat.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-10-11 at 07:39 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I think The Master is more likely to worm his way into the Administratum or the like, using his Time Lord knowledge to create false STCs and manipulate the Tech Priests. He's really good at abusing order (especially if you assume that The War Chief is an earlier regeneration, which isn't canon but just works).
    With what kind of bull**** torture engines the Imperium pushes out on the regular, I wouldn't put it past them to be manipulated. After all if the the Cybermen I mean Men of Iron were the reason for Mars for one transfiguring all their technological knowledge into religion and thus opening themselves to open manipulation by a technologically superior mind, which in turn feeds the Time Vortex I mean Eye of Terror to open into the Cicatrix Maledictum, that is exactly the kind of Chaos the Master would sow.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

** The solution is not to throw the entire party out of the airship.
    ***Jumping out paratrooper style, is also frowned upon
    ****Doesn't matter what national anthem you're singing while doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

With what kind of bull**** torture engines the Imperium pushes out on the regular, I wouldn't put it past them to be manipulated. After all if the the Cybermen I mean Men of Iron were the reason for Mars for one transfiguring all their technological knowledge into religion and thus opening themselves to open manipulation by a technologically superior mind, which in turn feeds the Time Vortex I mean Eye of Terror to open into the Cicatrix Maledictum, that is exactly the kind of Chaos the Master would sow.
    From what I know about the setting, I wouldn't be surprised if the only issue would be his pawns getting executed for actually unrelated reasons.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    From what I know about the setting, I wouldn't be surprised if the only issue would be his pawns getting executed for actually unrelated reasons.
    A plan going up in smokes because some of your cultists were executed for heresy?

*Exterminatus of Mars is not an option, not even for an Inquisitor.
    ** Doubly so if they claim to be influenced by some shady humanoid from beyond time and space.
    *** The Master cannot be the 5th Chaos God Malice.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Probably for nothing more than a misspelt name.

A plan going up in smokes because some of your cultists were executed for heresy?

** Doubly so if they claim to be influenced by some shady humanoid from beyond time and space.
    The amount of malice the Master has varies from incarnation to incarnation, so it doesn't quite fit. Honestly they doesn't really work that well as Chaos-aligned, the chaos they creates is in service of establishing a new Order with themself.

Weirdly, considering Chibnall bastardised the lore, it's technically possible the Doctor is one (they'd represent the ideas of curiosity and restlessness, they're not trying to take over the galaxy because they got bored, wandered off into a new universe, and accidentally trapped themselves in the form of a child). If you're going with this and the Chibnall retcons I'd argue that the Doctor and TARDIS are two parts of the same entity, which is the reason they always end up running off together.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-10-12 at 07:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

I mean a completely irrelevant case of heresy. Or something else even dumber.

I mean, this is the setting where the Mechanicus executes xenos via slow conveyor belt into lava just because they can. Not even because it's efficient or whatever.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, this is the setting where the Mechanicus executes xenos via slow conveyor belt into lava just because they can. Not even because it's efficient or whatever.
    It's almost like there are some powers behind the scenes who actively benefit from grimdark emotional states.

*I shall not try to make sense of any gaming universes beyond their chosen tone because that would land me in an insane asylum pretty quickly.

But just this once...THE IMPERIUM IS STRAPPED FOR RESSOURCES ON ALL SIDES! They let entire planets and sectors fall to overwhelming Tyranid forces, yet the Mechanicum can do **** all they want? There's people dying on all worlds to grease the war machine of the Imperium but hey, the chief engineers have time to Rube-Goldberg aliens to death? WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THIS MAAAA...

The mind of this mortal has been taken over by Tzeentch. Please run along.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

It's almost like there are some powers behind the scenes who actively benefit from grimdark emotional states.
    Yeah, they're called Games Workshop.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #1258

*I cannot genetically engineer fast-growing trees with a wolverine-style healing factor and absurdly sturdy roots and then plant them on the properties of people who support deforestation efforts.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot genetically engineer fast-growing trees with a wolverine-style healing factor and absurdly sturdy roots and then plant them on the properties of people who support deforestation efforts.
    ** Mainly because the Megas have already developed sufficiently powerful acid to melt them.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Barbarian in the Playground

Unacceptable in-universe euphemisms for necromancer include (but are not limited to):
    *Fan of the Cranberries
    **Late riser
    ***Sponsor of infinite jest
    ****Wannabe Lara Croft
    *****AMC executive
    ******Liliana cosplayer
    *******Friend of Bernie
    ********Rude forumite
    *********Edgar's tailor
    **********Edgar Allen's tailor
    ***********Disco pioneer
    ************Philosophical raiser
    *************Phenomenologist
    **************Comeback kid
    ***************Calcium miner
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!