New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Spoiler: UV and Infrared Ring Tanget
    Show

The Ultraviolet ring is apparently based on ambient negative emotional energy such the hateful, self-destructive, and primeval parts of someone. so basically, its the Edgelord Ring

while the Infrared ring hasn't been introduced yet, but DC is intending to make one just like ultraviolet.

*may not be an "X-Ray Lantern" What would that emotion even be?
    ** X-Ray Lantern emotions may not be any of the following: "Hunger", "Arousal", "Confusion", "Melancholy", "Stoicism", "Serenity", "Spite", "Naughtiness", "Humor", or "Annoyance"
    *** May not instead make the Microwave Lanterns the "Hunger" emotion
    **** There is no Lantern Ring for "Apathy", "Regret", "Boredom", "Worry", "Doubt", "Guilt" or "Embarrassment"
    ***** the Grey Lantern Corp may not be "Apathy" and its Oath may not be "Meh"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-06-07 at 02:37 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* May not smelt down six rings to make a rainbow ring.
    ** No, it does not have any influence over sexuality.

* May not turn down an NPC's proposal because they had a ring and not a weapon of mass destruction.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

* While using children's warped view of the world to design a campaign is acceptable, I should not have a setting based entirely on the pronouncements of a single 2-year-old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

* May not give the PCs a moon made out of warpstone, inhabited by oompa-loompas who drive plasma cannon ant-mecha and shoot chaos grenade launchers.
    ** May not make sad faces when they chicken out and just sell the coordinates to the Cocain-Wizards Guild.
    *** May not be annoyed by having to stat out giant hybrid ant-mecha-oompa-loompas dual weilding time-bullet railguns.
    **** May not be surprised that illithid mind-slavers and halfling mafia dons have better public relations and poll numbers than the PCs.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

What's warpstone again? I know weirdstones are from FR and interfere with teleportation in the area.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What's warpstone again? I know weirdstones are from FR and interfere with teleportation in the area.
    In Warhammer fantasy it’s basically radioactive stones that give off warp energy. It’s used to give magical power to the Skaven

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    In Warhammer fantasy it’s basically radioactive stones that give off warp energy. It’s used to give magical power to the Skaven
    Was the Warp inherently evil in Fantasy or not? I think it's not in 40K and the problem is mostly the Chaos Gods?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Was the Warp inherently evil in Fantasy or not? I think it's not in 40K and the problem is mostly the Chaos Gods?
    Ah, solidified chaos. Radioactive, mutagenic, addictive, power boosting, lol-random, space bending, time warping, change.

The warp isn't evil, it's more absolute unforgiving forced evolution going very very very fast in meme-Australia^3.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Ah, solidified chaos. Radioactive, mutagenic, addictive, power boosting, lol-random, space bending, time warping, change.

The warp isn't evil, it's more absolute unforgiving forced evolution going very very very fast in meme-Australia^3.
    That still doesn't sound evil though. Just extremely dangerous.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

That still doesn't sound evil though. Just extremely dangerous.
    Honestly, in both Fantasy and 40k Chaos isn't inherently evil, just extremely dangerous. Oh sure, they're uncaring and their worshippers are trying to conquer/destroy everything, but dig up the right lore and you'll find that the Chaos Gods are just as complex as The Emperor (a.k.a. Space Sigmar).

In 40k Chaos isn't actually a problem with the Warp, I believe they're a symptom. Back in the time of the Old Ones and Necrontyr the Warp was a stable hyperspace, but creating three of the major races of the setting to do battle with the Necrontyr, two of which are universally psykers? When the Warp is used to do horrific things on such a scale of gets corrupted.

Anyway, 'Chaos is evil' is like saying 'Tech Priests don't innovate', a vast oversimplification of the matter.

* It doesn't matter how many points I sink into Intelligence and Tech, I can't reverse engineer Necron technology.
    ** Especially their FTL drive.
    *** Naming myself Bergenholm doesn't help.
    **** I now have Wanted (Extreme, Tech Priesthood of Mars).
    ***** I should have thought of that before becoming a Heretek.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Colossus in the Playground

Depends a lot on which source you read in Warhammer Fantasy. I mean, ever compare Rogue Trader to Indomitus? The settings basically share a few names in common and not much else. Then remember Warhammer Fantasy is ten years older than that.

There's plenty of societies in Warhammer Fantasy that argue that even the chaos gods aren't evil, and many of them seem reasonably stable. The Norscans (fantasy vikings) worship the Wolf (Khorne), the Raven (Tzeentch), the Serpent (Slaanesh) and the Crow (Nurgle), who bring hardship, but also strength. The Khurgan (fantasy steppe tribes) worship Tzeentch the Changer, who makes life interesting. Cathay (fantasy China) too, has a state-sponsored Tzeentch-cult amongst other gods, worshipping knowledge. And there's some chaos cults in the old world who are just right. For example, one of the roleplaying games had a student's uprising who turned to the chaos gods and they had perfectly legitimous grievances. There's also the story of the old widow who was exiled from her village when the local mayor forged documents putting her in debt. She swore vengance and became a Warrior of Khorne.

But yeah, at least in the more nuanced sources, the warp is volatile and dangerous, but not necessarily willfully evil. However, the ones who turn to such a power source are almost all either greedy and reckless or angry and desparate, so it rarely turns out well.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly, in both Fantasy and 40k Chaos isn't inherently evil, just extremely dangerous. Oh sure, they're uncaring and their worshippers are trying to conquer/destroy everything, but dig up the right lore and you'll find that the Chaos Gods are just as complex as The Emperor (a.k.a. Space Sigmar).

In 40k Chaos isn't actually a problem with the Warp, I believe they're a symptom. Back in the time of the Old Ones and Necrontyr the Warp was a stable hyperspace, but creating three of the major races of the setting to do battle with the Necrontyr, two of which are universally psykers? When the Warp is used to do horrific things on such a scale of gets corrupted.

Anyway, 'Chaos is evil' is like saying 'Tech Priests don't innovate', a vast oversimplification of the matter.

* It doesn't matter how many points I sink into Intelligence and Tech, I can't reverse engineer Necron technology.
    Based on a real discussion:
    ******"But Cawl did it" doesn't mean it's not Tech Heresy.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, a very large portion of my knowledge comes from If the Emperor of Mankind Had A Text-To-Speech Device - not all of it, and I know the canon story's moved on since it started, but still.

Though also to be fair, there was an episode specifically about the topic that had good points on both sides of the argument.

Spoiler: MAJOR spoilers for episode 13 and less major ones for episode 19
    Show
    Magnus points out that 1. the Chaos Gods technically represent all of sentient emotion, even if the positive aspects are shown approximately never, and b) destroying Chaos is impossible and even if you could it'd basically screw over everyone anyways, which Emps admits. However, Emps points out that the Warp is still, to quote, DANGEROUS, STUPID, DANGEROUSLY STUPID, AND STUPIDLY DANGEROUS, and that as long as Chaos remains in its current state bringing peace to humanity and the galaxy is basically impossible, which Magnus can't exactly deny either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Depends a lot on which source you read in Warhammer Fantasy. I mean, ever compare Rogue Trader to Indomitus? The settings basically share a few names in common and not much else. Then remember Warhammer Fantasy is ten years older than that.

There's plenty of societies in Warhammer Fantasy that argue that even the chaos gods aren't evil, and many of them seem reasonably stable. The Norscans (fantasy vikings) worship the Wolf (Khorne), the Raven (Tzeentch), the Serpent (Slaanesh) and the Crow (Nurgle), who bring hardship, but also strength. The Khurgan (fantasy steppe tribes) worship Tzeentch the Changer, who makes life interesting. Cathay (fantasy China) too, has a state-sponsored Tzeentch-cult amongst other gods, worshipping knowledge. And there's some chaos cults in the old world who are just right. For example, one of the roleplaying games had a student's uprising who turned to the chaos gods and they had perfectly legitimous grievances. There's also the story of the old widow who was exiled from her village when the local mayor forged documents putting her in debt. She swore vengance and became a Warrior of Khorne.

But yeah, at least in the more nuanced sources, the warp is volatile and dangerous, but not necessarily willfully evil. However, the ones who turn to such a power source are almost all either greedy and reckless or angry and desparate, so it rarely turns out well.
    I suppose anyone who plans on using chloride trifluoride without nitrogen or noble gasses is either stupid or insane, so that checks out.

Based on a real discussion:
    ******"But Cawl did it" doesn't mean it's not Tech Heresy.
    Okay, besides "Necron tech is so ridiculously advanced it's not even funny", I think I'm missing a lot of references here. Explanation please?

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, a very large portion of my knowledge comes from If the Emperor of Mankind Had A Text-To-Speech Device - not all of it, and I know the canon story's moved on since it started, but still.

Though also to be fair, there was an episode specifically about the topic that had good points on both sides of the argument.

Spoiler: MAJOR spoilers for episode 13 and less major ones for episode 19
    Show
    Magnus points out that 1. the Chaos Gods technically represent all of sentient emotion, even if the positive aspects are shown approximately never, and b) destroying Chaos is impossible and even if you could it'd basically screw over everyone anyways, which Emps admits. However, Emps points out that the Warp is still, to quote, DANGEROUS, STUPID, DANGEROUSLY STUPID, AND STUPIDLY DANGEROUS, and that as long as Chaos remains in its current state bringing peace to humanity and the galaxy is basically impossible, which Magnus can't exactly deny either.
    While we could debate the specifics, yeah pretty much. Chassis isn't inherently evil, but dealing with it is still dangerous, stupid, stupidly dangerous, and likely to result in tentacles.

Okay, besides "Necron tech is so ridiculously advanced it's not even funny", I think I'm missing a lot of references here. Explanation please?
    Necron FTL is barred on negating inertia (at least in older fluff I believe), which is originally from the Lensman series where it was invented by a Mr Bergenholm. The Tech Priesthood of Mars is very conservative and she's not like anybody else messing with it inventing technology, and technological research a privilege of the upper castes. Crawl recently had been revealed as having done some very heretical things on the order of a Primarch.

Show

15. - Top - End - #135

To be exact:
    Spoiler: Bad Idea Rings
    Show
    -Red is Rage, so bad idea. also its parasitic
    -Orange is Greed and is only used by one guy because he is so greedy he won't share the power if I recall, so you can't even GET one, and if you could, its parasitic.
    -Yellow is fear and thus bad, and is the most common enemy to the green lanterns
    -Green is Willpower and while potentially heroic, the girlfriend has to be strong willed for it to work.
    -Blue is Hope! Unfortunately, while Hope is the most powerful emotion, it also doesn't work without the willpower to make it happen, so it would only grant Flight and a protective aura if not near a green lantern
    -Indigo is compassion, yay! unfortunately because compassion is one of the rarest emotions, using it blocks out all emotions other than compassion so as to use it at all without running out of energy, making it parasitic as well
    -Violet is Love! D'aaaaaw. Except now she is apart of the Star Sapphires, which is an all female Lantern Corp dedicated to spreading love but also taking revenge against males throughout the universe, also they use the rings to brainwash female villains into being good. Have fun with that.

** Proposing with The One Ring is an even worse idea than all of these
    ***Lantern Corps Power Rings do not have their Corps' oath written on them in the Black Speech of Mordor
    ****orrat dautas skalkisham nat; Timer dru baj ob draut; Tak alag nadal dath; Dig sha orka Sinestro ofls
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-08 at 02:03 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #136

Well, using xeno tech is tech heresy to the Mechanicum. So is improving on old tech. Especially the Emperor's tech. So is building an AI. Cawl has done all of that.

Edit: if you need more information, Cawl is the slightly deus ex machina-y tech priest Games Workshop pulled out of their hat recently, who worked with the Emperor and apparently spent hte last ten thousand years in secret, improving space marines, so that he can now make Better Space Marines. He was never mentioned before GW came out with a kit for Better Space Marines because reasons.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-08 at 02:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Is it clarified how better space marines are better?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #138

He just all around improved the process. Space marines are mutated and have new organs and cybernetics shoved into them. He mutates them more and shoves more new organs and cybernetics into them. In the process, he also eliminates all the weaknesses of the various space marine geneseeds, so that for example the Angry Chapters no longer have rage issues. They are bigger*, faster and stronger.
    The Better Space Marines (Primaris) also have, as routine equipment, newly made Better Power Armor, Hover Tanks and Better Guns.

*This is the important one. Games Workshop has steadily, over the years, increased the scale of their models. So by now, there's chaos cultists who are taller than old marines. The entire storyline comes across as mostly an excuse to make new, larger space marine kits. Like, second edition marines, which a few guys I still know, are about half hte size of the new eight-ninth edition Primaris Marines.

Spoiler: See here. Same special character, a few editions apart.
    Show

Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-08 at 02:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Well, using xeno tech is tech heresy to the Mechanicum. So is improving on old tech. Especially the Emperor's tech. So is building an AI.
    I think the most unrealistic thing about WH40K is the fact that the empire somehow manages to avoid getting steamrolled despite all that. By all rights they should have long since been smacked down like every other empire that's ever closed itself off and embraced stagnation like this
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-08 at 03:16 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think the most unrealistic thing about WH40K is the fact that the empire somehow manages to avoid getting steamrolled despite all that. By all rights they should have long since been smacked down like every other empire that's ever closed itself off and embraced stagnation like this
    The trick is people saying "they dug up old emperor approved tech" to whitelist their newly made tech.
    Plus it is getting steamrolled it is just so huge it will take millenniums to get steamrolled entirely.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-06-08 at 03:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Yeah.

My understanding is that there a lot of folks in the middle and pranks of the Adeptus Mechanics who innovate or approve others innovations just a little bit at a time but fake up evidence that it's "lost" technology.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #142

I mean, the entire point of 40k is, or used to be, is that humanity was relatively well off but has been slowly sliding into unavoidable obscurity and destruction for the last ten millennia at least. It's ten thousand years of ignorance, fanaticism and entropy.

They are getting steamrolled. It's just that they are so big that getting steamrolled will take another few thousand years. Same for the Eldar. Not anymore for Newcrons, but otherwise, for pretty much everyone. Even the Tau are running into their limits and possibly starting to slide downwars. (More open totalitarianism, and the first chaos problems.)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-08 at 03:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    The trick is people saying "they dug up old emperor approved tech" to whitelist their newly made tech.
    Plus it is getting steamrolled it is just so huge it will take millenniums to get steamrolled entirely.
    To be fair to the Adeptus Mechanics, they aren't as stupidly dogma ridden as they look and occasionally even come up with new technology while admitting that's what they've done. They're just very conservative and have the issue that those actually asked to research are the same ones with a decent chance of replacing half their brain with a computer.

In terms of AI the Imperium has reasons to be wary (Men of Iron anybody), and even then they don't actually file the 'don't create AI' rule to the letter. They've basically told themselves that a sufficiently weak AI isn't actually an AI.

But yes, the Imperium is basically in the point where they'll be gone by the fifty first millennium, and I believe that a decent part of the new fluff makes this explicit. But they rule the majority of the galaxy, even getting steamrolled is going to take a while.

But at least the Orks and 'Nids aren't in decline yet.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm... honestly not sure where the Orks would decline to. They're a race of universally dangerously insane mushroom-people who are only a spacefaring race by virtue of sufficiently advanced spacemagic. And I'm pretty sure that they haven't gone extinct by the same principle as Hitchhiker's Guide flight- they keep throwing themselves at extinction and missing

25. - Top - End - #145

Even the "rule the majority of the galaxy" part varies by author. The Imperium is said to have a million worlds. Our real world galaxy has at least a hundred billion stars. There might well be more planets that aren't part of the Imperium than planets that are. And many of the Imperial planets are barely in it. They are feral worlds or medieval worlds that pay a tithe in grain or soldiers every time an Imperial ship comes around, but otherwise don't really have a concept of what space or the Imperium actually are.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I'm... honestly not sure where the Orks would decline to. They're a race of universally dangerously insane mushroom-people who are only a spacefaring race by virtue of sufficiently advanced spacemagic. And I'm pretty sure that they haven't gone extinct by the same principle as Hitchhiker's Guide flight- they keep throwing themselves at extinction and missing
    The Orks' society CAN'T decline because they DON'T NEED a society. They reproduce by spores in huge numbers, they build advanced machinery by instinct, and they travel the stars by the power of their own will. Their entire adult population throughout the entire galaxy could be killed off and it wouldn't matter; their race would be set back by the amount of time it took the spores to mature but not a day longer.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-08 at 05:05 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Even the "rule the majority of the galaxy" part varies by author. The Imperium is said to have a million worlds. Our real world galaxy has at least a hundred billion stars. There might well be more planets that aren't part of the Imperium than planets that are. And many of the Imperial planets are barely in it. They are feral worlds or medieval worlds that pay a tithe in grain or soldiers every time an Imperial ship comes around, but otherwise don't really have a concept of what space or the Imperium actually are.
    What doesn't vary by author?

Officially Imperial Space seems to convert the majority of the galaxy, but I'd be willing to accept that only a fraction of a percent of the systems within that are settled (and considering how almost all interstellar travel is Warp or Webway based systems do admittedly count for more than how far across the galaxy it extends). Plus yes, the Imperium is so vast that 'Imperial World' basically means 'pays tithes when asked and venerates the Emperor'.

On the other hand the 40k authors do get the scale they're dealing with most of the time, even if they disagree on that scale. There are entire planets dedicated to managing subsectors, Terra itself is basically a mixture of administration hub and pilgrimage site, and the Guard numbers in at least the trillions. Plus nothing is unified, the Ecclesiarchy basically init functions because each planet's cult is shown to develop as it pleases.

Show

28. - Top - End - #148

I just mean while you can paint the entire galaxy Imperial, the density of Imperial worlds can be low. They still occasionally find new minor xenos empires of a dozen worlds or two they didn't notice before.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

* My assassin villain character's goal may not to be "be wealthy"
    ** Nor may I fool all the other PCs into thinking I'm just a assassin here to kill for the highest bidder without having a horse in the race to take over the city then kill the last one standing myself when rest are taken care of
    *** May not play both sides against each other by making them go into a bidding war over my assassination services.
    **** My cover identity may not be an amiable dwarven woman who sells potions in a modest shop.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #150

They are getting steamrolled. It's just that they are so big that getting steamrolled will take another few thousand years. Same for the Eldar.
    I don't see why, given that the setting has instantaneous travel and after 15000 years of no innovation I'd think that how fast you can get to the worlds would be the biggest limiter on how fast it can be done.

Also, remember, the Eldar aren't actually the Eldar, Slannesh is the Eldar and Slaanesh is doing fine

Honestly, in both Fantasy and 40k Chaos isn't inherently evil, just extremely dangerous. Oh sure, they're uncaring and their worshippers are trying to conquer/destroy everything, but dig up the right lore and you'll find that the Chaos Gods are just as complex as The Emperor (a.k.a. Space Sigmar)
    And also less evil than the emperor. Well, maybe not Khorne, but you'll find that the others are less evil than the emperor (assuming that the emperor is indeed still alive and still in command and that the ecclesiarchy hasn't actually just been doing a millenia long rehash of Weekend At Bernie's). ("what about slaanesh eating all those eldar souls?" I hear you say. Well, that's the same kind of language the craftworld Eldar use to describe their beloved Ynnead, so it can't really be all that bad if it's what even the anti-slannesh eldar are angling for anyway)

*The Imperial Cult is not "a rehash of Weekend At Bernie's"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-09 at 01:04 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum