New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* I do not gain Cold Resistance just because I'm a Thawmaturge.
    ** -100 XP for intentionally misspelling that on my character sheet.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    * I do not gain Cold Resistance just because I'm a Thawmaturge.
    ** -100 XP for intentionally misspelling that on my character sheet.
    *** I am not allowed to take a level in Thaumaturge using an elementalist class specializing in fire and a cleric of the god of cold/winter.
    **** Specializing in cold and worshiping fire is also forbidden.
    ***** If my peak powers are best described as "summon glacier" and "cause global warming", I will get a book to the face.
    ****** "Summon Sea Level Rise" and "Punch hole in the ozone layer" just make me sound like a Captain Planet villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    *** I am not allowed to take a level in Thaumaturge using an elementalist class specializing in fire and a cleric of the god of cold/winter.
    **** Specializing in cold and worshiping fire is also forbidden.
    ***** If my peak powers are best described as "summon glacier" and "cause global warming", I will get a book to the face.
    ****** "Summon Sea Level Rise" and "Punch hole in the ozone layer" just make me sound like a Captain Planet villain.
    So, Pentex employee.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

* No matter how cathartic it may be to run, "Red Shirts and Brown Pants: a day in the life of a town guard" is not an acceptable theme for a campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    *May not make an "Ever-Replenishing Deck of Many Things" that never runs out of cards
    ** May not make it a cursed item that binds itself to you when you pick it up
    *** May not make it so that you can only get rid of it by deceiving others into buying it from you in a dishonest trade.
    **** May not make it try to compel you to draw a card from it with a will save once every day.

5. - Top - End - #1475

IIRC there's literally a cause global warming spell in D&D 3.5. It's from Sandstorm I think.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #1476

Quote Originally Posted by DCraw View Post
    * No matter how cathartic it may be to run, "Red Shirts and Brown Pants: a day in the life of a town guard" is not an acceptable theme for a campaign.
    ** I should not select a system based on how quickly new characters can be rolled up even if "quickly" is how my players will go through them.
    *** This is not how Kobolds Ate My Baby got written

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    IIRC there's literally a cause global warming spell in D&D 3.5. It's from Sandstorm I think.
    One of the Epic Spells, the direct opposite of the Ice Age spell IIRC.

It's not exactly practical.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #1478

*there's more to being a wind mage than just eating beans
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

There is some build idea brewing in my head surrounding the idea of "Control Winds", "Fog Cloud", "Obscuring Mist", "Cloudkill" and "Stinking Cloud tho.

*I may not class their class an olfactor.
    ** If I spam the last page of an old thread with a bad fart pun I am to summon the wise men to name the new thread.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect more than the last two together would be redundant though. Also we're on the last page so new thread needed SoonTM.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

* May no longer break up a riot (dozens of angry townsfolk in the worst part of town wielding bricks, stones, pitch forks and torches) using the gust of wind spell as a fire hose.
    Spoiler: Wait, what?
    Show
    (Yes, it worked)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-12-07 at 11:29 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #1482

*If I'm starting to see things Friend Computer's way in real life, I may need some rest

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #1483

* There’s more to being a Wind Bard than singing “beans, beans the magical fruit …”

14. - Top - End - #1484

* Being able to defeat a Zone of Truth through sheer social awkwardness is not a positive thing when we're in a (relatively) friendly capital under suspicion of mass murder.
    ** Pointing out that I can kick an armoured man's lungs out through his back does not do anything to diffuse the tension, no.
    *** Getting frustrated and even more awkward doesn't really help matters either.
    **** Apparently pointing out that I (in character, obviously) neither know nor care what kingdom/duchy/whatever we're in, which makes plotting harm against it impractical at best, is also not the right answer.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground

* Not allowed to muderize, derail, torture, maim, terrify, and arson my way through a campaign to reinforce my "this character is not a bard, the class combo was chosen because it mechanically matches the character better than anything else" speech & 5 sentence backstory that I gave to the GM.

** Not allowed to shortcut major parts of the adventure by skinning "friendly" npcs alive for information.

*** Still not ok even if I didn't know they were a plot relevant npc.

**** I should tone down my reaction to GMs who are so overwhelmed by unintuitive mechanics & official adventure crap organization, that they keep defaulting to "class = personality" and can't remember basic character info like "not a bard" for ten minutes even after I've said it four times.

***** May not add another notch to my clipboard for accidentally crushing a new GM with logical ration merciless amoral efficent in-character actions backed up by the character's backstory, personality game mechanics, and alignment.

16. - Top - End - #1486

*May not point out that under the Dark Powers Check rules all of a villains' minions in the ravenloft setting should quickly become independent demilords and that for this reason every villain's plans and operations should quickly fall apart like a ponzi shene

*May not point out that the rules for roleplaying fear to avoid fear checks in Ravenloft creates an incentive for every character to be roleplayed as Courage The Cowardly Dog

EDIT:

*Fenphen is a recalled drug, not a pokemon

EDIT:

*Santa Claus was not on the HUAC
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-12-22 at 03:43 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

* My superhero robot Autocop cannot be Three Laws Compliant.

Yes, that actually got banned. In practice I ended up First Law Compliant, but that was mostly due to one player insisting their concept* shouldn't be restricted by PL caps so I could barely damage anything. Autocop spent most of their time putting fences back together at super speed (I'd accidentally bought enough ranks to outrun a train, so I bought more).

Autocop was fun actually, I might bring them back in a future game. They made a habit of posting villains' secret identities to forums in order to gather information, had a retractable siren and helicopter blades, and could deactivate their arms for MOAR SPEED (GM-okayed alternate effect on my Strength's inbuilt Damage power).

* Which was basically Deku from MHA, who is totally PL10.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

While that sounds genuinely fun, how do you accidentally buy enough ranks to outrun a train?

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    While that sounds genuinely fun, how do you accidentally buy enough ranks to outrun a train?
    A mixture of forgetting standard train speeds and adding a step or two when converting from metres/second to metres/round. When you literally don't deal with vehicles beyond being a passenger speeds of this level feel a tad abstract.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #1490

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A mixture of forgetting standard train speeds and adding a step or two when converting from metres/second to metres/round. When you literally don't deal with vehicles beyond being a passenger speeds of this level feel a tad abstract.
    There is a high speed train that goes 3 miles per hour. Okay, so it is carting 200 ton radio dishes around a dried up lake bed and it might count as as axillary vehicle more than a train, but it does run on high speed track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

There is a high speed train that goes 3 miles per hour.
    I'm not talking about American trains

But yeah, I was looking to outrun a speeding car, and bought a rank higher than needed. Which let me outrun the Eurostar, so I just bought more and became the team speedster.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Colossus in the Playground

I cannot play as a character who accidentally becomes a god.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Okay but in Pathfinder there's literally precedent.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I cannot play as a character who accidentally becomes a god.
    I mean, in most games I own where you become a god you tend not to do it on purpose

Although admittedly it's because those games are Nobilis and Scion, where divinity requires you to either be born into it, have a sponsor, or both. I actually really like that in Scion 2e normal people can start on the road to godhood, but it's a kind of ****ty deal until you begin internalising power as the person providing the divinity can just decide to take it all back if you don't play along.

Then you've got games where the definition of 'godhood' is murky. Supers systems are great for this, as getting powers by accident is a standard trope and every setting has a different definition of godhood. Aberrant springs to mind, as at least one NPC is pretty much officially confirmed to eventually make their own universe and there's no indication that you get a choice as to what powers you develop. It's possible, but unlikely, to be a Dark Star Nova until you suddenly develop Universe Creation.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1495

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, in most games I own where you become a god you tend not to do it on purpose
    An actual character I'm playing as is pursuing a path to power that will culminate in apotheosis by the standards of the setting.

She does not know this, actively denies the existence of some of the abilities she's set to develop and is in fact an atheist.

I find the irony to be amusing.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

An actual character I'm playing as is pursuing a path to power that will culminate in apotheosis by the standards of the setting.

She does not know this, actively denies the existence of some of the abilities she's set to develop and is in fact an atheist.

I find the irony to be amusing.
    Eh, it's maybe a tad unusual, but 'ascend by accident' really isn't that uncommon (it's probably the most common way Archetypes are created in UA, for example). Doing so while being an atheist or misotheist is rarer, but give me a day and Google and I could probably pull out multiple examples.

Like settings where you can't unintentionally hit godhood are pretty rare, Mage the Awakening springs to mind but you can argue over where godhood begins in that game (practically everybody hits their first Awakening by accident, but achieving a second one has to be intentional). It's best to sit back, magic up a top hat, and enjoy your apotheosis in style.

* My Deviant's backstory cannot be 'spent six years as the research material for Thaumatechnology'.
    ** Even if it's probably how The Cheiron Group makes most of theirs.

Show

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, its the people who intentionally seek godhood that are the ones that tend to fail. Or at least, achieve for about a minute before they somehow get defeated by some determined heroes who don't have divine power anyways. Accidental godhoods on the other hand are a surprise and thus generally go to people who work on the "I never desired power thus I end up getting the most" twist ending form of irony and thus tend to stick.

* May not be a determined hero who says "well clearly I defeated god with just my determination and skill, so clearly I'm more powerful than god and thus omnipotence already"
    ** May not then do stuff like forcefully make my love interest come back to life with pure determination thus breaking all aesops about death and moving on since I'm more powerful than omnipotence
    *** May not respond to protests about how this makes no sense with "I killed god, which is powerful than sense, therefore I'm more powerful than things making sense, therefore I don't need to make any"
    **** May not make all the megalomaniacal villains seeking godhood cry by pointing out all their convoluted efforts were pointless and useless compared to me just leveling up a lot and that they could've gotten my power just by grinding some monsters over and over again.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #1498

In a dragon ball themed game, I can't introduce a family of Majins named Yoomoh, Goowayguy, Fighdy, and Zhouw.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

In a dragon ball themed game, I can't introduce a family of Majins named Yoomoh, Goowayguy, Fighdy, and Zhouw.
    ** Or Azeriath, Metrione and Zinthos.
    *** or Please, Thank and Yu
    **** or Fuego, Forzare, Fliccum and Biccus
    ***** or Expelliarmus, Cruciatus, Avada, Wingardium, Sectum, Kedavra, Patronus, Leviosa and Sempra, etc
    ****** or Kagebunshinnojutsu, Rasengan and Chidori
    ******* or Flare, Ultima, Photon, and Curaga
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #1500

* May not be a determined hero who says "well clearly I defeated god with just my determination and skill, so clearly I'm more powerful than god and thus omnipotence already"
    ** May not then do stuff like forcefully make my love interest come back to life with pure determination thus breaking all aesops about death and moving on since I'm more powerful than omnipotence
    *** May not respond to protests about how this makes no sense with "I killed god, which is powerful than sense, therefore I'm more powerful than things making sense, therefore I don't need to make any"
    **** May not make all the megalomaniacal villains seeking godhood cry by pointing out all their convoluted efforts were pointless and useless compared to me just leveling up a lot and that they could've gotten my power just by grinding some monsters over and over again.
    Isn't that basically Journey to the West?

edit:
    Except the second one, that's the end of the Hellboy movie
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-12-31 at 09:23 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum