New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

I have a feeling that's rather biased, considering that the Eldar don't want to get eaten by Slaanesh. And Slaanesh is basically the Dark Eldar turned up to eleventy-thousand and yes I'm aware that's not a real number.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

WH40k Tangent:
    40k FTL is not instant actually. warp travel is....not the most reliable thing:
    Estimating the length of a Warp Jump, at least for the Imperium, is extremely difficult and inconsistent. As the Warp is ever-shifting, determining the length of a jump is difficult for even even semi-fluctuating passages. The Questio Logisticus branch of the Administratum is dedicated to this difficult task.[11]

One example is given for travel between the Hive World of Proxx and the Mining World of Hephastian. These planets are separated between dozens of light years and a standard voyage in the warp will take one to six weeks. However some voyages have been recorded as taking 1,200 years and another in as little as two minutes. 32% of the voyages have yet to reach their destination.[11]
    In fact the Warp is technically timeless, and its possible to travel BACK in time using it, but its so corrupt, hellish and chaotic that no one knows how to pull it off intentionally. This is not a method of travel is in any way safe, reliable, consistent, casual, or for the faint of heart. you go into the Warp, your putting your life on the line. Emperor help you if the Gellar Field fails, because traveling through the warp without that is like an Infinite Improbability Drive from Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, except instead of funny haha random weirdness, you get daemons coming to rip your body apart and torture your soul for all eternity.

40k Warp Travel: the no. 1 reason to stay on a single planet and hope you don't get invaded by something.

* May not attack the players with daemon versions of memes they've said too many times when a Gellar field fails
    ** there are no daemons of chuck norris facts trying to roundhouse kick them in the face
    *** may not attack them with horrific daemon versions of monty python characters that only grow stronger each time they repeat their jokes
    **** or attack them with daemonettes of slaanesh who look like Bowsette.
    ***** or any daemon versions of "cursed memes".
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I don't see why, given that the setting has instantaneous travel and after 15000 years of no innovation I'd think that how fast you can get to the worlds would be the biggest limiter on how fast it can be done.
    The Necrons might, might, have it in s practical sense, which is why reverse engineering their drives would be so amazing. For everybody else it seems to be a choice between Warp travel z the Webway, or trying to get the ship to relativistic speeds.

Now there may be other ways to go FTL. I believe that humanity tried several ways the Dark Age of Technology and decided that Warp travel was the heat problematic, and that says a lot about how dangerous it impractical the other methods were (and this was before the Astronomicon). Sadly it's still not quite clear if humanity ever reached Necron levels of technology, so there may be a human-built Bergenholm out there in depths of the galaxy.

And also less evil than the emperor. Well, maybe not Khorne, but you'll find that the others are less evil than the emperor (assuming that the emperor is indeed still alive and still in command and that the ecclesiarchy hasn't actually just been doing a millenia long rehash of Weekend At Bernie's). ("what about slaanesh eating all those eldar souls?" I hear you say. Well, that's the same kind of language the craftworld Eldar use to describe their beloved Ynnead, so it can't really be all that bad if it's what even the anti-slannesh eldar are angling for anyway)

*The Imperial Cult is not "a rehash of Weekend At Bernie's"
    I mean, I believe that Big E has been revealed as alive, sitting I admit there might be some Wizard of Oz stuff going on. But yes, Big E is just as bad as the Chaos Godsz assuming he's not one himself (which is uncertain, as he's the 40k version of somebody who's explicitly a god of Order).

Although I'd b actually say that Khorne might not be as evil as Big E. He's just a god simple passions. Now Slaanesh, there's an evil one. Sure, prehensile genitalia might sound fun now, but it's the start of a long road where eventually the acid-gargling and rack start to lose their thrill and you have to move into more debased forms of sensation like mutual torture or yodelling.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I have a feeling that's rather biased, considering that the Eldar don't want to get eaten by Slaanesh.
    No, but they do want to get eaten by the other deity, which makes it seem like the matter is more down to favoritism.

*There is not a cookbook with the title "To Serve Eldar"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-09 at 02:31 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't think space travel is the main factor in how quickly humanity in 40k will fade away. What I mean is more... there's a lot of human worlds, so for all of them to be destroyed will take a long time. It's often said, though that's probably fairly poetic, that there's a million human worlds. If they lose a handful every year, that still means that it will take them hundreds of thousands of years to all die out, even if it's a steady downward trajectory with no rallying. Now, with the story being actively advanced there might be one big enemy ending things, chaos, necrons, tyranids, but as the setting was presented for most of it's history, it's just untold enemies slowly chipping away at the Imperium. You lose one planet to orcs, and then another to corsairs, and then three to tyranids, one undergoes exterminatus because the Genestealers got out of hand and then you lose one because food shipments from the nearest agriworld got delayed by warpstorms and almost everyone starves or becomes a khorne-worshipping cannibal. That's not a lot of worlds to lose in a year, out of a million. But if you lose ten, or a hundred planets every year, more than you settle or reconquer other ones, eventually you're gone.

Steamrollers are slow, but unstoppable.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-09 at 03:10 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, having run the numbers, if the Imperium consists of exactly a million world's (it's probably more, less then one Space Marine per world and ask that, but it's the best number we've got) and loses .03% of it's worlds per year (so 300 in year 1) then after 10,000 years they still have about 50,000 worlds. The decline didn't start immediately after the the Horus Heresy, and worlds are still occasionally (re)claimed, so the actual proportion is probably lower.

So yeah, a long time.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

WH40k Tangent:
    40k FTL is not instant actually. warp travel is....not the most reliable thing:

In fact the Warp is technically timeless, and its possible to travel BACK in time using it, but its so corrupt, hellish and chaotic that no one knows how to pull it off intentionally. This is not a method of travel is in any way safe, reliable, consistent, casual, or for the faint of heart. you go into the Warp, your putting your life on the line. Emperor help you if the Gellar Field fails, because traveling through the warp without that is like an Infinite Improbability Drive from Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, except instead of funny haha random weirdness, you get daemons coming to rip your body apart and torture your soul for all eternity.

40k Warp Travel: the no. 1 reason to stay on a single planet and hope you don't get invaded by something.

* May not attack the players with daemon versions of memes they've said too many times when a Gellar field fails
    ** there are no daemons of chuck norris facts trying to roundhouse kick them in the face
    *** may not attack them with horrific daemon versions of monty python characters that only grow stronger each time they repeat their jokes
    **** or attack them with daemonettes of slaanesh who look like Bowsette.
    ***** or any daemon versions of "cursed memes".
    The Chuck Norris daemons are Khornites I presume? I dunno enough about Monty Python to know which those would be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Okay, having run the numbers, if the Imperium consists of exactly a million world's (it's probably more, less then one Space Marine per world and ask that, but it's the best number we've got) and loses .03% of it's worlds per year (so 300 in year 1) then after 10,000 years they still have about 50,000 worlds. The decline didn't start immediately after the the Horus Heresy, and worlds are still occasionally (re)claimed, so the actual proportion is probably lower.

So yeah, a long time.
    …Just to be clear, “Imperium implodes” isn’t the same as “humanity goes extinct and/or the remains get screwed over by daemons and/or Drukhari for all eternity” right? And “Chaos or the Necrons winning” doesn’t mean “the entire universe is permanently screwed over for all eternity”?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #158

So yeah, a long time.
    I mean, there's probably going to be second order effects. Every Agri-World lost to orc Spores probably also means a hive world starving. Losing a forge world also means losing a war somewhere else. And if you lose half your Worlds, I assume you also lose a good percentage of your supply lines.

9. - Top - End - #159

I... may have done that, but they were Harlequins. The Harlequins were trying to be "culturally relevant", so they studied the humour of their next "audience" before attacking. Cegorach liked it, so they had some appropriate powers. Including a black knight solitaire who couldn't die.

10. - Top - End - #160

…Just to be clear, “Imperium implodes” isn’t the same as “humanity goes extinct and/or the remains get screwed over by daemons and/or Drukhari for all eternity” right? And “Chaos or the Necrons winning” doesn’t mean “the entire universe is permanently screwed over for all eternity”?
    Well, that goes back to "the Galaxy is big". We know there's plenty of one-world Xenos races out there. The 40k wiki lists what is probably around a hundred known sentient species. So, "the Imperium implodes" doesn't mean all of humanity dies, no. As said above, some random world of dirt farmers somewhere might not even notice the Imperium doesn't exist anymore. We'd have a lot of worlds of hunter-gatherers, medieval societies, even a few early industrial societies that might be reasonably comparable to modern Earth. Scavenger worlds not too unlike something like Fallout, digging through the remains of city-sized factories for half-broken laser weapons. Perhaps even a few systems that have more than one inhabited planet and limited space travel between them. They'd mostly be fine, until.
    There wouldn't be any large armies anymore to bail anyone out if a Waagh or a Chaos raid comes through, no one to take away and train or kill uncontrolled pskyers and most likely, the remaining humans would be too primitive to do interstellar travel at all, even before we mention that there now isn't an Astronomicon anymore. They couldn't even hope to fight Tyranids or Necrons.
    Thousands of planets might remain, some for thousands of years. But they'd be without protection in a hostile galaxy and it would take one instance of bad luck for any of those worlds to be destroyed.

There's a few scenarios where everyone dies. The main tyranid fleet arrives and no one can stop them, they just roll over the galaxy, devour all life and then likely leave. Though at least one tyranid hive-fleet seems to be settling in and is actually colonizing star systems, so they might even stay. Some People theorize that if chaos wins, they might just turn the entire galaxy into daemonworlds that are halfway in the warp. If that happens, everyone is unbelieveably screwed. Necrons don't seem to want to wipe out all life anymore, for the most part, but they might still pull out a galaxy-destroying superweapon they just had lying around. They can already blow up star Systems halfway through the galaxy.

Alternatively, GW might decide that Bobby B (Roboute Guilliman) is successful enough at pulling together the Imperium that he can actually reverse the downwards trajectory for a bit.

But barring those cataclysmic Events, I'd expect a theoretical Warhammer 60k to be almost exclusively inhabited by primitives constantly on the edge of destruction, with very Little hope to get back to the stars any time soon.

Really rather like humanity before the Emperor came around last time.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The Chuck Norris daemons are Khornites I presume? I dunno enough about Monty Python to know which those would be, though.

Spoiler: Wh40k
    Show
    *uncertain hand motion* Well maybe not? I mean Chaos successfully doing that is certainly their intention and the settings narrative is staunchly unrepentantly about how things always get worse without even an anti-hero to truly save day, only various extremists and lesser evils making hard decisions and killing so many people that they make the Punisher look reasonable and heroic in comparison. The situation is unlikely to get better and even if it technically doesn't mean that, the Imperium getting crushed still means there is no force in the universe to protect humanity from all the threats around it: between orkz, tyranids, necrons and Chaos, no astronomican to light the way, humanity would quickly collapse into various isolated worlds like they did in the Age of Strife, with every planet and system for themselves, and thus all depends on how well they can defend things without help....problem: most plots in WH40k are about imperium forces responding to some world asking for help because they're being invaded.

I just wouldn't put good odds on the humans in that scenario even if its not guaranteed

* The "Tis But a Scratch" Knight is not an unholy hybrid of Khornate and Nurgle energy who is a seemingly unstoppable unkillable juggernaut
    ** "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" may not summon nurglite demons claiming to be their parents, the stench elderberries of which spreading a horrible disease from a fat corpulent zombie while the mother being a diseased werehamster whose bite spreads the condition like a plague
    *** the spam joke may not spawn in more small Slaaneshi demons yelling "spam!" every time the word is uttered, making them multiply with every utterance.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

The Imperium imploding leads to a lot of independent systems, probably a handful of small human empires, and a lot of starving people on hive worlds and forge world's, but not the end of humanity.

Chaos winning is 'galaxy-wide Eye of Terror', and means that the galaxy is probably done for. The Necrons winning is confusing, bare in mind that at the moment the first thing they want is their souls back, and if they do biotransference in reverse that likely means that whatever race they take over probably loses their culture for all eternity, followed by everybody else once the Necron Lords hey bored and start conquering everybody with their legions of robotic soldiers (what, you thought that everybody was getting a new soul?).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I mean, there's probably going to be second order effects. Every Agri-World lost to orc Spores probably also means a hive world starving. Losing a forge world also means losing a war somewhere else. And if you lose half your Worlds, I assume you also lose a good percentage of your supply lines.
    True, but as a rough order of magnitude it works. So 10,000+ years for the Imperium to implode without one of the villains stepping up their game.

Show

13. - Top - End - #163

[SPOILER=Wh40k]
    * The "Tis But a Scratch" Knight is not an unholy hybrid of Khornate and Nurgle energy who is a seemingly unstoppable unkillable juggernaut
    ** "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" may not summon nurglite demons claiming to be their parents, the stench elderberries of which spreading a horrible disease from a fat corpulent zombie while the mother being a diseased werehamster whose bite spreads the condition like a plague
    *** the spam joke may not spawn in more small Slaaneshi demons yelling "spam!" every time the word is uttered, making them multiply with every utterance.
    I still think he's funnier as a Harlequin than as a daemon. Though I guess meme daemons make a bit more sense. To expand on my point above:
    **Harlequins may sell neither dead parrots nor cheese. Shooting them is, however, a valid response.
    ***Harlequins may not throw sleeping gas grenades and sing "Gooooood night, ding ding ding ding ding!"
    ****The Shadowseer may not introduce himself with "Hello, I'd like to have an argument."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-09 at 05:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

[SPOILER=Wh40k]** "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" may not summon nurglite demons claiming to be their parents, the stench elderberries of which spreading a horrible disease from a fat corpulent zombie while the mother being a diseased werehamster whose bite spreads the condition like a plag
    *May not point out that elderberries were used to make wine in medieval times and that female hamsters are known to be very... Aggressive, when it's mating season and produce lots of offspring.
    **Thus, not allowed to point out that the joke is that the Rud French Knights were saying "you're mother's a whore with too many children and your father is an alcoholic" without actually coming out and saying it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

***** When attacking a Harlequin I should not be wielding a banana.
    ****** Or a punnet of raspberries.
    ******* I must use, at minimum, a pointed stick.

Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I still think he's funnier as a Harlequin than as a daemon. Though I guess meme daemons make a bit more sense. To expand on my point above:
    **Harlequins may sell neither dead parrots nor cheese. Shooting them is, however, a valid response.
    ***Harlequins may not throw sleeping gas grenades and sing "Gooooood night, ding ding ding ding ding!"
    ****The Shadowseer may not introduce himself with "Hello, I'd like to have an argument."
    You misunderstand. its not supposed to be funny. Its supposed to take jokes that I consider far, far too old hat and finally kill them with horror by warping them into daemons to take my revenge on people constantly restating the jokes by twisting them into a context where telling them becomes a terrifying situation that could get their characters killed. How seriously I take this is of course, is a new joke I create on top of these jokes corpses.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-06-09 at 06:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Aren’t the Necrons trying to cut off the Galaxy from the Warp? Or was that retconned away?

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #168

No, it didn't start after the Horus Herasy, it started after the rebellion of the Men of Iron and only got worse from there.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    No, it didn't start after the Horus Herasy, it started after the rebellion of the Men of Iron and only got worse from there.
    The Men of Iron thing being bad is a recent edition thing right?

Also you misspelled "Heresy".

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

The Men of Iron thing being bad is a recent edition thing right?

Also you misspelled "Heresy".
    * May not intentionally mis-replace "Heresy" with "Hershey" in WH40k games.
    ** "Willy Horus and the Chocolate Cluster****" is not canon in any edition.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

* I may not point out that we already have a thread for discussing 40k Fluff: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XVII: Call Necrosius, The Old Thread Is Dead!.

* I may no longer use a first level wizard spell and the occasional healing spell from a cleric as the ticket to limitless wealth.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-06-09 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    * I may not point out that we already have a tread for discussing 40k Fluff: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XVII: Call Necrosius, The Old Thread Is Dead!.

* I may no longer use a first level wizard spell and the occasional healing spell from a cleric as the ticket to limitless wealth.
    Which spell is that?

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Which spell is that?
    Metamorphose Liquids (2E AD&D - Tome of Magic). The wizard transmutes 1 cubic foot per level of any liquid into any other non-magical liquid by touching the target liquid and placing a drop of the desired liquid on their tongue.
    Spoiler: Can you guess where I'm going with this?
    Show
    Gold, platinum, and even mithril/mithral (and adamantite presumably) all turn into a liquid if you heat them up enough. 1 cubic foot of solid platinum (after you pour it into molds and let it cool) weighs 8,000 lbs. At 50 coins/lb, that's 40,000 pp, or 200,000 gp, which will easily pay for a cleric to heal the burn you took to your finger. If you use a small enough drop, your tongue won't even get burnt!
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure there are less painful ways of generating infinite wealth, so...

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Furthering the WH40K theme:

*May not make a "Chaos Warband that say Nee"
    **The seemingly immortal leader of said warband may not have a herring as his sole weakness
    ***Tasking the players with finding suitable shrubbery for Nurgle's Garden, however, is actually pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-06-09 at 02:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure there are less painful ways of generating infinite wealth, so...
    But in that dnd edition gold could be used to gain xp and that trick was possible at level 1 so with that trick you could skip the whole "take unbelievable risks" step called adventuring before getting the old edition simulacrum which was fully overpowered.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

After that first casting, you can afford to have a cleric cast Resist Heat or Protection from Fire and suffer no harm whatsoever.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    But in that dnd edition gold could be used to gain xp and that trick was possible at level 1 so with that trick you could skip the whole "take unbelievable risks" step called adventuring before getting the old edition simulacrum which was fully overpowered.
    * Must not stop mumbling that the gold must be brought back to civilisation.

Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

* I am not allowed to drop my Daern's Instant Fortress on top of the big villain whilst riding past right at the start of the climactic battle.
    ** No matter how much it annoys his nemesis the paladin, who had been psyching up to fight him all month.
    *** And no matter how cool it looked driving him straight into the dirt like a Looney Toons character.

Speaking of that long-ago campaign;

* I am not allowed to keep a defeated enemy's skull in my backpack so that I can cast Speak With Dead when I'm bored just to ask him, "Hot enough for ya down there?" Not if I want to keep my alignment, I'm not.
    ** The ranger is no longer allowed to activate his Feather Token while below decks on a ship at sea. Rocs and boats are not a good combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

30. - Top - End - #180

*Mystra's Weave is not a hairpiece

Omegaupdate Forum