New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

*Vecna's eye may not be used in marbles
    **While amusing conceptually, using Vecna's hand instead of a bottle for spin the bottle is right out.
    ***While unorthodox usage of Vecna's anything will indeed take me farther along the path to evil, it bothers the other players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* The solution to squabbling over the hand of Vecna is not too grab a knife and ask the wizard to cast Plane Shift.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, "the Imperium implodes" doesn't mean all of humanity dies, no.
    It might actually lead to humanity winning, without the ecclesiarchy and the adeptus mechanicus holding them back anymore.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-06-10 at 09:41 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * The solution to squabbling over the hand of Vecna is not too grab a knife and ask the wizard to cast Plane Shift.
    What does that do again with that?

Also I have this mental image of Vecna temporarily controlling it long enough to flip the bird at someone and now you do too.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What does that do again with that?
    (Come now, it's marvellously simple. You Plane Shift to where this Vecna guy is, cut off the other hand with your dagger, something something, and now you have two hands of Vecna (so you and your folks don't have to squabble over the one)!)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Come now, it's marvellously simple. You Plane Shift to where this Vecna guy is, cut off the other hand with your dagger, something something, and now you have two hands of Vecna (so you and your folks don't have to squabble over the one)!)
    Oh. To be fair it feels like I'm dying because I had an exam today and yesterday and those were the only two times I've set foot outside the house besides minor errands in what feels like months and HNNNNNNNNNNNNRGH
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #187

*There is no such artifact as the "Butt of Vecna"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

*I may not describe the party's Lawful Evil Swordsage as a Xianxia protagonist.
    **I may not have the party's Totem Rager Blackblood Cultist be referred to as "The Blascowitz's estranged tribal cousin"
    ***I may not insist the party's Residual Magic Echoing Spell Practical Metamagic Sublime Chord always have boots to walk on water.
    ****I may not torturously ensure the party's metamagic abusing Incantatrix can never let go of their technically-not-hands workarounds or else immediately be forced to Silent Still everything.
    *****I must not, under any circumstances, describe the level 30 fight against the Readied Action abusing high Fly speed Celestial-made Colossal Construct with a highly-optimized blasting Drilbu as "A Young Master, Shamanistic Doom Slayer, Kobold Yodeler Jesus, and Doctor Strange have brought Psychic Angelic Wing Zero upon themselves"

Edit: This is purely an exercise in making referential humor of some builds

Spoiler: Explanation for Kobold Yodeler Jesus
    Show
    The thing about Kobold Yodeler Jesus is that Echoing Spell lets you repeat spells at -4 CL until the CL is too low to cast the base version of the spell, before metamagic adjustments, and metamagic shenanigans are mostly Arcane so to apply it to healing, which cares relatively little for CL, you pretty much need to go Bard. Which also buys you a +4 CL for a Bardic Music and DC 30 Perform check, alongside Arcane Thesis being another +2 CL, so you can Arcane Thesis Cure Severe Wounds at CL 26 for five instances, if we go with the minimum CL being 7 as a Bard spell.

You need Arcane Preparation to qualify for Echoing Spell, and for it to function properly, but this creates a much better end result than using a Death Master in an all-Undead party, as it takes a much smaller slice of your versatility and less investment since you only need the one extra feat of qualifications. And you can burn the slots when they're low CL for other things that scale by spell slots, such as using Master Wand to follow a casting with burning a last-use to apply your full static CL to a Cure Severe Wounds from the item without spending a charge of it off of Residual Magic.

Your Practical Metamagic (which requires Dragonblooded, hence Kobold) is actually probably going on Maximize, bringing it to only +1 spell level on Cure Serious Wounds and +2 elsewhere, so your 4th-level slots are Maximized for a lot more healing than Cure Critical Wounds at "base" and fit more varied multiplying metamagic in your higher-level slots, because you use Residual Magic to take each 4th level Echoing Cure Moderate Wounds and apply Echoing to another six slots, maybe seven if you can squeeze enough CL, regaining the spell slots in the process. Then when you need one of your other Known spells, you can burn the slot. It's an extremely huge amount of healing from very few slots, and if you have anything to consume spell slots separately from spellcasting you can perfectly well burn the Arcane Preparation slots after using them for healing several times.

Just the initial 5th-level CL 26 Echoing Cure Serious Wounds Echoes at CLs 22, 18, 14, and 10. With an Orange Prism, you increase these by 1 and get a sixth CL 7 instance. Together, this is 18d8+63 healing, average 144, from a single 5th-level slot. And each of these can carry Echoing Spell onto another spell slot with Cure Serious Wounds prepared thanks to Residual Magic's other mode, which allows you to copy a metamagic you put on a spell onto another copy of the spell cast in the next round, though this does not apply to external metamagic sources, including this function itself.

The underlying point of it is that you put a lot of feats into getting to be a high-power party healer from all of six spell slots while having terrible metamagic abuses available for other functions. You can also Practical Metamagic Echoing Spell itself to make it +2 spell levels elsewhere, allowing you to cast 7th-level power spells four times with a 9th-level slot on the job. And this is all just at level 20, you can do far worse madness in Epic. Like getting Permanent Emanation on Infernal Threnody/Hymn of Praise for a +2 CL on all your spellcasting, which may double your instances by applying each time. If we read it as allowing per-casting CL modifiers each time, you have the tools to have a second Arcane Thesis to slowly climb CLs on these 1/hour slots and load every metamagic you know into them

...If I knew "consume enemies for power" effects in 3.5 off the top of my head, I'd have included that in the Swordsage instead of directly stating Alignment.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2021-06-10 at 06:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

*I may not recreate the "Ship of Theseus" thought experiment with Vecna's body parts

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    ...If I knew "consume enemies for power" effects in 3.5 off the top of my head, I'd have included that in the Swordsage instead of directly stating Alignment.
    Those exists but basically can be obtained only by playing non humanoid characters(or using one specific psionic power but this power was underwhelming)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-06-10 at 06:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

* May not use playing a Getimian as an excuse to intentionally mispronounce Sidereal Exalted as "Side-reels"
    ** Not even if its perfectly in character for Getimians to not have any respect for them.
    *** My Getimian does not come from Gunstar Autochthonia
    **** Or Heaven's Reach
    ***** Or Exalted Modern
    ****** My Getimian may not be obsessed with the correcting Creation so that it has more magitech
    ******* My Getimian is not an isekai protagonist from any version of Earth
    ******** They are not from alternate pasts
    ********* Nor are they from futures that will never happen.
    ********** Winter Caste Getimians do not come from worlds of literal eternal winter

* Liminals have other mortals they tie their thread of life to other than beautiful women who keep fires.
    ** May not see what happens if two Liminals above essence 3 link their life threads to each other
    *** Liminals do not respawn near bonfires
    **** Nor can they learn Dark Souls Pyromancy
    ***** My Liminal may not try to challenge run Creation in only their skivvies wielding only a club and wooden board shield
    ****** My Liminal does not have Melee specialization of "Parry God"
    ******* They may however Praise the Sun.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #192

*"Drow" is not pronounced "Drew"
    **"Paladine" is nor pronounced "Paula Deen"

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

* I am not supposed to humiliate the GM in Traveler by designing a free trader that outguns half of his Starfleet. (Not the individual ships; half of the fleet at the same time.)

* I don't care if Rolemaster grants XP for kills; the Sorceror in my campaign is not supposed to level up 1 point at a time by testing his shock bolts on woodland creatures.

** Nor is the party allowed to ride peasants face first down the mountainside anymore and claim they've invented "serfing".
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *"Drow" is not pronounced "Drew"
    **"Paladine" is not pronounced "Paula Deen"
    *** Sigil is apparently not pronounced "Sid-jil"
    **** Apparently Gary's last name is not pronounced "Gai-gax" its "GHEE-Gax"
    ***** May not use "Gai-gax" anyways because that is what I've always said.

15. - Top - End - #195

*The bomb from Beneath the Planet of the Apes was not one of the deities that fought Sun Wukong

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #196
    Colossus in the Playground

*** Sigil is apparently not pronounced "Sid-jil"
    **** Apparently Gary's last name is not pronounced "Gai-gax" its "GHEE-Gax"
    ***** May not use "Gai-gax" anyways because that is what I've always said.
    More complciated than that... Gary G. himself was at least fine with Gai-Gax, may even have called himself that. The Swiss pronunciation is indeed different, something like you suggested, but but in interviews I've seen and so on, that's not what he seemed to use. He was born in America, but his father was Swiss, so presumably his father would have pronounced his name that way.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #197

More complciated than that... Gary G. himself was at least fine with Gai-Gax, may even have called himself that. The Swiss pronunciation is indeed different, something like you suggested, but but in interviews I've seen and so on, that's not what he seemed to use. He was born in America, but his father was Swiss, so presumably his father would have pronounced his name that way.
    I have an ancestor with the surname of Titsler. When they moved to Wisconsin their daughter got much grief for the first letters thereof and eventually changed it to Tetzler. Her father and siblings followed suit. I don't know why Gygax would have changed his pronunciation, but his father might have gone along with it.

* Of I take a penalty to avoid military service, I should expect it to come up.
    ** "Prefers tropical paradise" is not worth any bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #198

The comedian Mike Birbiglia has a bit about this sort of things. His delivery is much better than mine, but the gist of it is that when people tell him "In Italy it's pronounced Bir-bil-ia" he replies "Well, in America, you're annoying"

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #199

* While I can play a real person in Serpentfall, I cannot play John Wayne.
    ** Nor can I play Admiral James Stewart.
    *** Bruce Lee is right out.

* While fictional characters are okay, I cannot play a young Hawkeye Pierce.
    ** Colonel Potter is okay, but know that he has been a desk jockey for quite a while and is liable to have all sorts of old person problems.
    *** I do not get more bonus points from giving my old character old person problems.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

* 'You lived' is not an excuse for friendly fire.
    ** Especially if we had to resurrect them.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

* Solar Exalted are not the Chosen of Mary Sues
    ** Lunar Exalted are not the Chosen of Furries
    *** Dragon-Blooded are not the Chosen of Zuko
    **** Abyssals are not the Chosen of Ow, The Edge
    ***** Sidereals are not the Chosen of Obi-Wan Kenobi or James Bond
    ****** Alchemicals are not the Chosen of XJ-9
    ******* Infernals are not the Chosen of Renegade For Life
    ******** Liminals are not the Chosen of Dark Souls
    ********* Nor are Getimians the Chosen of Kingdoms of Amalur

22. - Top - End - #202

Even if the Iconic Infernal just goes naked all the time, mine still has to wear pants.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #203

EvilClericGuy

* While I can play a real person in Serpentfall, I cannot play John Wayne.
    ** Nor can I play Admiral James Stewart.
    *** Bruce Lee is right out.

* While fictional characters are okay, I cannot play a young Hawkeye Pierce.
    ** Colonel Potter is okay, but know that he has been a desk jockey for quite a while and is liable to have all sorts of old person problems.
    *** I do not get more bonus points from giving my old character old person problems.
    Serpentfall? You got to play in a The Day After Ragnarok game?! Color me jealous.

I love Ken Hite's stuff. And The Day After Ragnarok reads like an awesome setting to play in.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Even if the Iconic Infernal just goes naked all the time, mine still has to wear pants.
    Huh, I've had occasional issues with characters who wear trousers but not shirts. Apparently lady lumps make all the difference no matter their size1.

1 Like, realistically you want support there even for and small breasts, but this was a fantasy game where well endowed elf maidens wore leaves.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-06-13 at 12:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Serpentfall? You got to play in a The Day After Ragnarok game?! Color me jealous.

I love Ken Hite's stuff. And The Day After Ragnarok reads like an awesome setting to play in.
    Alas, I have not gotten to play any of The Day After Ragnarok. I have, however spent many an hour considering who I would play.

* "I roll to disbelieve" is not the vocal component of counterspell.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #206

**Neither is "I reject your reality and Substitute my own" for illusions.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

**Neither is "I reject your reality and Substitute my own" for illusions.
    *** I may not argue it is what you say for using the ability that allows to turn illusions real.

28. - Top - End - #208

EvilClericGuy

Alas, I have not gotten to play any of The Day After Ragnarok. I have, however spent many an hour considering who I would play.
    Alas, I feel your pain. I *might* be able to convince my group to give it a go, but there's just so much people want to run and play, and we just don't have enough time.

* "I roll to disbelieve" is not the vocal component of counterspell.
    Well, it is now!

*No longer allowed to try and make the session degenerate into the DM talking to himself, in character, in differing accents. (This one's pointed at the whole Friday Night Gaming Group. But we're gonna try again anyways. Because that's how *we* Win At RPGs (TM).
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

29. - Top - End - #209

AssassinGuy

* My Bard does not get bonuses to his Performance skill for being a Rock Gnome.
    ** Also, he did not invent the electric guitar.
    *** Not even if the druid can Call Lightning to power the amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

* If you and the DM both forget your character's invisible, that's too bad.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)