New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    My PC suites successfully run Gnomoria for some reason, maybe I should play the inferior version.
    I thought Gnomoria was a venereal disease. TIL...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

*may not use the ability to be (and turn things) selectively intangible to replace the insides of chocolates with mustard.
    ** or sour kraught.
    *** or any kind of cheese.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

I can't attempt to interrogate a prisoner by asking a companion to bring me "the drills, the files, the players, the calipers, the syringes, and the disc of the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    *may not use the ability to be (and turn things) selectively intangible to replace the insides of chocolates with mustard.
    semi-related
    *When the DM uses a tower only substantial in moonlight as a dungeon, I'm not allowed to one shot the boss by tossing a lit torch at their feet and making them fall through the floor several stories to their doom.
    **May not cackle loudly when the party manages to make the DM BSOD more than once in an adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #245

Related to that and actually happend:
    **If the Tower is only tangible in moonlight, do NOT build a giant Parasol to blot out the moon over the entire tower.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-17 at 08:53 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

*** or any kind of cheese.
    There is a chocolate-flavored cheese in existence.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    There is a chocolate-flavored cheese in existence.
    but would you want to risk eating a chocolate that had an unknown cheese place by a guy who would pick the most vile cheese he can find?
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

8. - Top - End - #248

If my warrior princess keeps insisting that NPCs pay her tribute by kissing her feet, eventually the GM will make one of them... into it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is no space marine chapter with the motto "Ad Infinitum Et Ultra"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Translation?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

but would you want to risk eating a chocolate that had an unknown cheese place by a guy who would pick the most vile cheese he can find?
    Chocolate with charcoal cheese?

Do I at least get quince?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If my warrior princess keeps insisting that NPCs pay her tribute by kissing her feet, eventually the GM will make one of them... into it.
    Hey, it's a fantasy game. Who are you to say which fantasies can't be included?

* 'It's a fantasy game' is no excuse for making monogamy illegal in-setting.
    ** Or culturally frowned upon.
    *** Must admit that not everybody agrees work my lifestyle choices.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Translation?
    "To infinity and beyond", Buzz Lightyear's catchphrase.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    There is no space marine chapter with the motto "Ad Infinitum Et Ultra"
    ** They certainly do not wear white armor with green highlights.
    *** Nor do they equip all their members with las-pistol arms.
    **** They certainly do not engage in Heresy by consorting with xenos.
    ***** They are not a rare uncorrupted Horus chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

* I must stop using other players as units of measurement.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #255

*"Because I felt like it" is not an adequate reason for why I felt the need to terraform and colonize mars with my vast supernatural powers and declared it the new capital of the Sol system.
    **The X-Men did it" is not an excuse, defense, or justification.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

* Cannot suggest that maybe the branding isn't helping with the entire prejudice thing, and that we should rebrand to something more like 'the Still-Men'.

Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

* My Getimian's backstory may not be "I was so awesome I became best friends with the Scarlet Empress and all the Incarnae."
    ** Especially not so I can use that one charm to summon them from my Origin as five dot allies to help me out.
    *** That goes double for the fetich souls of the Yozis
    **** the "Best Friends With Your Boss" Getimian build will never become a thing.

* Persona 5 is not an example of Getimians
    ** May not try to make Getimians in the style of Persona 5 anyways.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

* My Getimian's backstory may not be "I was so awesome I became best friends with the Scarlet Empress and all the Incarnae."
    ** Especially not so I can use that one charm to summon them from my Origin as five dot allies to help me out.
    *** That goes double for the fetich souls of the Yozis
    **** the "Best Friends With Your Boss" Getimian build will never become a thing.

* Persona 5 is not an example of Getimians
    ** May not try to make Getimians in the style of Persona 5 anyways.
    Isn’t the entire point of Exalted doing impossibly awesome things?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #259

*I cannot write a description of my underage PC being tortured for the amusement of people who own her as a slave that is horrific and gets the point across without ver actually saying what the hell they did to her.
    **At the very least, I should take care to avoid accidentally implying rape.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

* No longer allowed to roll nothing but 1s and 2s (ok, up to 5), especially for saving throws.

Spoiler: Seriously
    Show

My big-boy bosses? Didn't take a single action because they got hypnotic patterned/hold monster'd right off the bat and then rolled nothing but 1s and 2s for saves until they'd died. One of them was rolling at advantage. A pair of 1s. Gah. My dice hate me and love my players. When I was rolling for the friendly NPCs that joined them? 18, 19, 15, etc. For the enemies? 1-5. No need to fudge dice when they legitimately hate you anyway.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Isn’t the entire point of Exalted doing impossibly awesome things?
    Yes. but the impossible awesomeness of literally conjuring alternate never-come-to-pass versions of the Incarnae, Her Redness and Ligier to fight for you at Essence 3 is probably so impossibly awesome something that no GM would ever allow despite it being a charm in the Essence preview and a section of the fandom that wants to take Exalted seriously would find it over the top and not defending a random podunk region of Creation while playing out tragedies of humanity enough. But then such people dislike and will disallow Getimians anyways on general principle simply because they're not Solars hogging the spotlight, so I'm not really inclined to care or care favorably about what they think.

* May not start a campaign, fanfic, or anything called "Exalted Done Wrong" to make fun of the fandom by parodying various parts of Creation and taking all the events in its history as irreverently as possible.
    ** The Games of Divinity may not turn out to be Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker, which of course just turns out to be Yu-Gi-Oh!
    *** May not treat the Solar Exalted like Ultramarines.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #262

*I cannot write a description of my underage PC being tortured for the amusement of people who own her as a slave that is horrific and gets the point across without ever actually saying what the hell they did to her.
    *** May not write a long, detailed, explicit and historically researched account of torture into my backstory either

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

*I cannot write a description of my underage PC being tortured for the amusement of people who own her as a slave that is horrific and gets the point across without ver actually saying what the hell they did to her.
    *** This does not mean I should intentionally imply it.
    **** Even if it's too justify a really horrible death.

Show

24. - Top - End - #264

*** This does not mean I should intentionally imply it.
    **** Even if it's too justify a really horrible death.
    Eh... Not comfortable with that. Barring some very specific exceptions, rape is one of the worst things you can do to someone, but treating it as an inherently unforgivable special super evil as a shorthand for "this is a bad dude" sort of... Trivializes it.

Not to mention that it means that in those rare exceptions, it becomes harder to judge someone fairly: I've been called a rape apologist for arguing that it's not fair to condemn a character for crimes he committed as a ten-yer-old because he grew up in what was basically a cult and his toxic family told him it was okay.

Never mind that he stopped doing it when he realized that no, his family was full of crap and he was just hurting people for no good reason, or that he regrets doing it despite the fact that overexposure to his father's Killgrave-esque emotion control powers have rendered him emotionally dead.

Besides, even ignoring the overuse of "Rape is a Special Kind of Evil," using rape as a shorthand for "this character is evil and deserves a karmic death" is just lazy.

There are all kinds of horrible things that are just as bad, maybe even worse, that your villain can do to people... You just have to be a little creative...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Eh... Not comfortable with that. Barring some very specific exceptions, rape is one of the worst things you can do to someone, but treating it as an inherently unforgivable special super evil as a shorthand for "this is a bad dude" sort of... Trivializes it.

Not to mention that it means that in those rare exceptions, it becomes harder to judge someone fairly: I've been called a rape apologist for arguing that it's not fair to condemn a character for crimes he committed as a ten-yer-old because he grew up in what was basically a cult and his toxic family told him it was okay.

Never mind that he stopped doing it when he realized that no, his family was full of crap and he was just hurting people for no good reason, or that he regrets doing it despite the fact that overexposure to his father's Killgrave-esque emotion control powers have rendered him emotionally dead.

Besides, even ignoring the overuse of "Rape is a Special Kind of Evil," using rape as a shorthand for "this character is evil and deserves a karmic death" is just lazy.

There are all kinds of horrible things that are just as bad, maybe even worse, that your villain can do to people... You just have to be a little creative...
    To be fair, in my mind it's probably not the study thing in that scenario. It's an element I rarely include, and it's normally about imbalances and abuses of power rather than somebody being moustache twirlingly evil. But abuses of power are something I tend to hope my players take very seriously, up to 'violently dismantle the system' in some genres1.

It's also something to use to suggest that maybe somebody's going a bit far. Sure somebody who's committed it deserve to have to struggle to rebuild their reputation? Yes. Do they deserve to be dangled over a vat of acid and lowered in at a millimetre per minute? My PC's probably going too far.

1 Primarily cyberpunk.

Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, in my mind it's probably not the study thing in that scenario. It's an element I rarely include, and it's normally about imbalances and abuses of power rather than somebody being moustache twirlingly evil. But abuses of power are something I tend to hope my players take very seriously, up to 'violently dismantle the system' in some genres1.

It's also something to use to suggest that maybe somebody's going a bit far. Sure somebody who's committed it deserve to have to struggle to rebuild their reputation? Yes. Do they deserve to be dangled over a vat of acid and lowered in at a millimetre per minute? My PC's probably going too far.

1 Primarily cyberpunk.
    I mean it probably depends on the character, table, and system(if nothing else I’m sure more than a few games have rules for being resistant/immune to acid).

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I mean it probably depends on the character, table, and system(if nothing else I’m sure more than a few games have rules for being resistant/immune to acid).
    Molten metal is also acceptable (or liquid nitrogen if they also have heat resistance, I can come up with a long list if a GM keeps adding immunities). The point is more that it's needlessly excruciating to the extreme, and that if I have a PC that indulges in such actions then my PC is probably a hypocrite even if they have some kind of point.

Yes, I sometimes expect PCs to be brutal antiheroes. But they're also expected to have some level of mercy.

* If my deathtraps are crueler than the villains' I should retire my character.
    ** How about I play a paladin instead?

Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Molten metal is also acceptable (or liquid nitrogen if they also have heat resistance, I can come up with a long list if a GM keeps adding immunities). The point is more that it's needlessly excruciating to the extreme, and that if I have a PC that indulges in such actions then my PC is probably a hypocrite even if they have some kind of point.

Yes, I sometimes expect PCs to be brutal antiheroes. But they're also expected to have some level of mercy.

* If my deathtraps are crueler than the villains' I should retire my character.
    ** How about I play a paladin instead?
    Oh huh, I misread that as your PC deserving yo be dipped in acid like that initially. But yeah I get what you mean if the game allows for a shred of basic decency. Not every system is Paranoia or WH40K I guess. Or something like that, pretty sure there are a few more where the default morality for a PC is “complete bastard”, but most aren’t.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #269

EvilClericGuy

* I must stop using other players as units of measurement.
    Why?

*I will continue to reference my college suitemate as a unit of volume. But I acknowledge using that unit of volume to measure vehicle trunk space is...touchy.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Why?
    I concur in the questioning. We absolutely use [the group's halfling paladin heights] as a unit of measure roughly equal to a meter.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.