New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I want to make Webcomics but I have several questions.

I've always been a small town artist who recently got into Digital Art (still learning that hard task), I've wanted to make comics for quite some time now but I've always had questions that nobody ever seems to answer, so I'd try here.

First, When drawing a webcomic, what size do you work in? Do you draw your panels each separate then import them into a canvas for the comic? Or do you work in a file set up to the dimensions the comic will natively be in?

Second, and this one's more on my end, is there a way to learn how to write comic dialogue? Every time I try I feel I either try to cram too much info into the bubble, or not enough. Or is it better to try and find a writer that can write for me?

Third, Is it better to just host my stuff on my own site, or become part of the giant community sites? As far as I can tell you will be unknown to everyone until you strike it lucky either way and I have a website I'm not using that I want to upgrade.

Fourth, Is there anywhere that helps with choosing the best shades of colors for webcomics? When I work on my tablet the colors look different than what my PC Screen shows, which both look different than what my phone displays, often times resulting in colors looking poor in comparison.

Fifth (and probably finally), what program works best for creating webcomics? I'm using (and learning) Clip Studio Paint currently, but I can't get my Inking to come out good (sketch layers are all great, but then I go to ink and it just falls to pieces) is there a better program to look into?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I want to make Webcomics but I have several questions.

3)About hosting there is also the option to do both. One Comic I saw on webtoons.com also had its own website (which was a bit further ahead.)

The advantage of a huge site is of course possible exposure. There are many comics on this sites but it is still an additional channel for possible discovery. Also if you do get big they might advertise you more and enable you to earn money with it without taking care of it yourself.

The advantage of an own site is greater control. For one some webcomics sometimes leave the page confines (like unsounded here not the best example of it but didn't want to search for a better one, or another unsounded example is forgoing the normal website structure it has in other chapters and just having a white background with minimal elements no navigate like here) I don't know how possible that is on something like webtoons (so the answer could be very possible I guess^^) but an own website certainly allows for it. And of course you have more control about things like comment sections or maybe advance pages only people subscribed on patreon can access (I believe wandering inn does that or where do you get the password?). And of course if the sites have any content limitations that could matter depending on what you want to write. Also if you do make money with it you can get it all.

1) No idea since I am no artist, just that if you think of ever making a print version I guess planning for that should be done at this step to make it easy.