New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1235 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by greenfunkman View Post
    Hey thanks! Me too... I'm on day 6 of no eating. Dropped a stone on this sickness so far.
    Do try to maintain your fluid intake, at least. Dehydration is no joke. If you can manage "meal replacement" drinks, so much the better. They come in a variety of types, including fruit-flavoured clear-fluid versions that may be more tolerable than the chalky-chocolate/vanilla/strawberry standbys.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey thanks! Me too... I'm on day 6 of no eating. Dropped a stone on this sickness so far.
    Uhhh, 6 days seems kinda long for normal food poisoning. I think you should probably see a doctor.

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Uhhh, 6 days seems kinda long for normal food poisoning. I think you should probably see a doctor.
    14 pounds in 6 days also seems a bit scary. I don't know how anyone could drop that much, that fast, without it being mostly water.
    (Unless it were some sort of surgery? Although that sounds excessive as well, in its own way.)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Thanks everybody, I did go to the doctor and I am feeling much better. Ate two whole meals yesterday and had breakfast today.

You are all very kind.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thanks everybody, I did go to the doctor and I am feeling much better. Ate two whole meals yesterday and had breakfast today.

You are all very kind.
    It's good to know you're eating! I'm glad you feel better.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    14 pounds in 6 days also seems a bit scary. I don't know how anyone could drop that much, that fast, without it being mostly water.
    (Unless it were some sort of surgery? Although that sounds excessive as well, in its own way.)
    If it was non-water tissue, it would represent a lot of calories being burned, which would have to involve vigorous exercise. There are a few other ways of losing weight quickly, such as severe uncontrolled diabetes, in which tissue is converted to blood sugar which is being peed out. (One of my school friends had that happen, which he got hit with juvenile diabetes.) Any "magic weight loss" system that promises results like that is either getting rid of water, which will come back as soon as your routine gets back to normal, or doing something highly dangerous to your metabolism.

My wife has some kind of weird metabolic problem which hasn't been fully characterized yet. When she gets a flare-up, she'll gain several pounds of water weight per day, as edema -- all of the water goes out into her tissues, while her blood actually becomes somewhat dehydrated. That goes on for as much as a week. Then when the problem passes, she pees it all out again, mostly in the first couple of days. It's extremely uncomfortable (there are other factors there too), aggravated by the many doctors and nurses who simply don't believe that that's what happens despite reams of documentation. For a couple of years, their usual response was that the effect hadn't been documented, never mind the "just look in her chart, she's being weighed daily". Then they abruptly switched over to "if it was real, someone would have done something about it already". To say that we are frustrated by our medical system would be a ridiculous understatement.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    If it was non-water tissue, it would represent a lot of calories being burned, which would have to involve vigorous exercise. There are a few other ways of losing weight quickly, such as severe uncontrolled diabetes, in which tissue is converted to blood sugar which is being peed out. (One of my school friends had that happen, which he got hit with juvenile diabetes.) Any "magic weight loss" system that promises results like that is either getting rid of water, which will come back as soon as your routine gets back to normal, or doing something highly dangerous to your metabolism.

My wife has some kind of weird metabolic problem which hasn't been fully characterized yet. When she gets a flare-up, she'll gain several pounds of water weight per day, as edema -- all of the water goes out into her tissues, while her blood actually becomes somewhat dehydrated. That goes on for as much as a week. Then when the problem passes, she pees it all out again, mostly in the first couple of days. It's extremely uncomfortable (there are other factors there too), aggravated by the many doctors and nurses who simply don't believe that that's what happens despite reams of documentation. For a couple of years, their usual response was that the effect hadn't been documented, never mind the "just look in her chart, she's being weighed daily". Then they abruptly switched over to "if it was real, someone would have done something about it already". To say that we are frustrated by our medical system would be a ridiculous understatement.
    Wow, that sucks.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

There are a few other ways of losing weight quickly, such as severe uncontrolled diabetes, in which tissue is converted to blood sugar which is being peed out. (One of my school friends had that happen, which he got hit with juvenile diabetes.)
    I imagine ketoacidosis is a common first indication that someone has developed Type I diabetes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

Zombie

This was me in my early 20's. I had undiagnosed late stage JD, and we figured it out because I went from 240 to 160 in 3 months.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

To say that we are frustrated by our medical system would be a ridiculous understatement.
    That's frightening. Very sorry to hear that that's happening to your wife.