New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1235 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That could be resolved with "party wizard cast Greater Magic Weapon on the blade".

The main hint that it went from "nonmagical" to "+5" is here

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrahim View Post
    Huh. You know I always interpreted that as it going from a plus four to plus five, since that would be a 25% increase. T never occurred to me that might indicate going for my 20 to a 25 in d20.
    I personally support the "went from +4 to +5" theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrius View Post
    I just looked at your signature and seriously read "Magicae Est Potatoes". Which opens a lot of room for speculation about a former world filled with conscious vegetables and fruits.
    Hah! We've already made that joke ourselves a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    The comic had a massive level jump for Xykon retroactively. Whereas before it was feasible Roy didn't have a magic sword (because they were low level dungeon crawlers), now its more feasible that Xykon has some Superb Shatter epic spell, researched and designed solely to be a git to anyone fighting in melee.
    Also I think Rich was never that strict about the rules back then, or really ever. Remember how V used Evard's Black Tentacles on Trigak?

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    The possibility of it was raised for this world, in "That's The Spirit" in GGGU. Not just conscious but Evil.
    ...Huh?
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-05-25 at 12:20 PM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    The possibility of it was raised for this world, in "That's The Spirit" in GGGU. Not just conscious but Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Huh?
    Spoiler: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished
    Show
    Death bananas. With little scythes.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-05-25 at 12:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Also I think Rich was never that strict about the rules back then, or really ever. Remember how V used Evard's Black Tentacles on Trigak?
    That can be resolved with "V used the Greater Shadow Conjuration version - which is an illusion spell"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blackTentacles.htm
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sh...ionGreater.htm

V would only need to be 13th level to cast it.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #94

Ditto
    Hah! We've already made that joke ourselves a few times.
    As a Latin nerd the ae/as combo and word order bug me, which is probably why I hadn't noticed Potestas is close to an anagram of Potatoes. But certainly worth notice. (^_^)b
    Technically an off-brand borderline-Evil hentai spell, so maybe the spell creator in the Stickverse wrote it to grab even flying critters if they're within reach.
    ...Huh?
    Haven't read it myself, but it sounds like this means that GGGU featured an Evil vegetable.
    (Like f'rinstance Brussels sprouts if you ask me, but that could be a genetic taste mutation.)
    Edit: Ah, ninjaed, thank you. (^_^)b
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-05-25 at 12:42 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Belkar and Elan reminding me of why those two are my favorites.

Shame about not seeing the potato part though, could have been a decent cutaway to just add to the moment of levity.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dang, major points to Belkar for being exactly right about what Roy and Durkon were thinking.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

What the hell, has Belkar taken a level in Psionic that we don't know about and is altering the spell to his will?

Poor Elan. I feel sorry for him, it's a shame everyone else has to be, well, prepared for a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    Loved it, feels like a peanuts strip with that face.

Very much enjoyed each character's responses to Elan.
    Hah, you're right! Probably why I liked that face so much.
    Last edited by Mariele; 2021-05-25 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

8. - Top - End - #98

The Giant said at the time that:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yeah, players I have played with usually try to metagame the plusses on swords by referring to their "precentage increase in accuracy" based on the idea that each +1 on a d20 roll was a 5% increase. So you'll get conversations like:

Bob: Girolous, tell me, how much better than a standard bow is your elven longbow?
    Tim: Why, it is 15% better than a nonmagical one, Firion, why do you ask?
    Bob: I wish to enchant it further with a spell that will increase its effectiveness to 20% greater accuracy.
    Tim: Outstanding!
    Bob (to the DM): I cast Greater Magic Weapon for +4 enhancement bonus on Girolous' bow.
    DM: Grumble.
    If each +1 is "5% increase" then 5 +1s are "25% increase".

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    As a Latin nerd the ae/as combo and word order bug me, which is probably why I hadn't noticed Potestas is close to an anagram of Potatoes. But certainly worth notice. (^_^)b
    Ah, there's a funny story about that title; the writer of the Artemis Fowl series was apparently not as fluent as Latin. The family motto of the Fowl family is "Aurum Est Potestas", which is grammatically incorrect as you note but is supposed to mean "Gold Is Power".

The title of the fic is an intentional parallel to that; "magic is power". Post-Pacifist Run, Post-The Last Guardian, on a bit of a hiatus but Somnium's got the outline for the next channel finally, probably a bit darker than most post-Pacifist fics.

Apparently it's quite good.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

My first thought when I read this strip was it felt like kind of a letdown, nothing important was said and the plot did not advance. The strip is just one long gag about Elan's difficulties with sitting quietly that kind of broke the momentum of the fairly interesting sociopolitical discussion going on previously.

But I see a lot of people saying they appreciated the break it gave in the serious tone of the previous comics.

I guess I can understand the sentiment, but I was actually fairly interested in that more serious tone and hope that this strip at least leads to something where Elan has some kind of personal development or epiphany due to being forced to sit down and think to himself for probably the first time in a while. Otherwise this page just feels like a total tonal derailment that is there for the sake of someone thinking a random tone break was needed, like a comedy act intermission in the middle of a political documentary.
    Last edited by Kaed; 2021-05-25 at 01:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I can see Roy's sword being excellent for culinary purposes.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    My first thought when I read this strip was it felt like kind of a letdown, nothing important was said and the plot did not advance. The strip is just one long gag about Elan's difficulties with sitting quietly that kind of broke the momentum of the fairly interesting sociopolitical discussion going on previously.

But I see a lot of people saying they appreciated the break it gave in the serious tone of the previous comics.

I guess I can understand the sentiment, but I was actually fairly interested in that more serious tone and hope that this strip at least leads to something where Elan has some kind of personal development or epiphany due to being forced to sit down and think to himself for probably the first time in a while. Otherwise this page just feels like a total tonal derailment that is there for the sake of someone thinking a random tone break was needed, like a comedy act intermission in the middle of a political documentary.
    I do believe this moment of levity would count as bathos in regards to storytelling. I mean, it is still, as Thor put it, a "self-aware stick figure fantasy parody."

Cutting back to others waiting does release the built-up tension and point out the oddity of stuff. Although, I am now curious; the dialogue exchange between V and Elan reveals that Elan once borrowed the Greenhilt sword to peel potatoes, but the way V mentions the meal was excellent, that implies that Elan was the one who cooked the meal. Does this mean Elan knows how to cook well? I mean it wouldn't be out of the question give his mother works as a barmaid and while 3.5e stuff is not my forte, such as cross-class skills, would cooking be one for a bard?

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    I mean it wouldn't be out of the question give his mother works as a barmaid and while 3.5e stuff is not my forte, such as cross-class skills, would cooking be one for a bard?
    Belkar has "Profession - gourmet chef" so "Profession - cook" would be a plausible option - and Profession is a class skill for Bards.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

Class Skills
    The bard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

However, Elan's WIS is thought to be abysmal by the rest of his party.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Belkar has "Profession - gourmet chef" so "Profession - cook" would be a plausible option - and Profession is a class skill for Bards.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

Class Skills
    The bard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

However, Elan's WIS is thought to be abysmal by the rest of his party.
    Well, his Wisdom has gone up considerably over the last bit of comics. And Belkar is able to be a gourmet chef despite having a really abysmal Wisdom score (and one of the few things he takes seriously too). So maybe Elan has like two ranks in Cooking or something?

15. - Top - End - #105

Lizardfolk

Ayyy some much needed comic relief! Pun most definitely intended!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post

While it's true that nothing important for the story happened in this strip, I read it as a analogy to what extroverts like Elan struggle with during a lockdown. Getting your energy from contact with others is quite hard when you can't go out, everybody else is too busy for virtual meetings/ telepathic conversation and you suddenly are alone with yourself. But that is just my interpretation.

edited for additional sentence
    Last edited by Jayrius; 2021-05-25 at 02:12 PM.
    You haven't experienced the true essence of roleplaying until somebody uses your carefully crafted notebook as an underlay for pizza, at least two players engage in a slapfight using rulebooks and someone starts crying, preferably the dungeon master.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    *Monty Python video*
    I side with Palin here, this is not an argument.

The head needs to be on the line, to open the portal back. It only lasts 20 seconds, too:
    What i don't get is why she needs to hold it like this. She could lay it on her lap, that wouldn't make much difference.

Eh, seems a bit more Neutral than Evil. Note: having Neutral thoughts does not mean said being is Neutral, though I think Belkar's closer to CN than he was at the beginning.
    Indeed. I do wonder if we'll see his ring of Protection against Evil suddenly stop hurting him. Probably right before the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard; in is sig
    NBITP
    May i ask you what NB means in this instance?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2021-05-25 at 02:14 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Ok, this was worth a good chuckle.

I often wonder the opposite, how people like Elan can live with a compelling need to share everything that goes through their heads.

Although, I am now curious; the dialogue exchange between V and Elan reveals that Elan once borrowed the Greenhilt sword to peel potatoes, but the way V mentions the meal was excellent, that implies that Elan was the one who cooked the meal. Does this mean Elan knows how to cook well? I mean it wouldn't be out of the question give his mother works as a barmaid and while 3.5e stuff is not my forte, such as cross-class skills, would cooking be one for a bard?
    Well, his Wisdom has gone up considerably over the last bit of comics. And Belkar is able to be a gourmet chef despite having a really abysmal Wisdom score (and one of the few things he takes seriously too). So maybe Elan has like two ranks in Cooking or something?

There's another likely possibility: that Elan did the peeling and Belkar did the cooking.
    Last edited by TuringTest; 2021-05-25 at 02:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Is it me, or do I get a vibe that the giant may also be commenting on his endeavour to communicate his thoughts through the comic, and the occasionally harsh reception thereto?
    Or at the very least the endeavour of artistic expression in general.
    Not really. Each of the party members are reacting "in character". Roy and Durkon have highly developed consciences, so they worry and fret about things and are wont to find fault with themselves. Belkar doesn't care. No one else besides Elan has leisure for any thoughts beyond preparation for their confrontation with an epic-level lich, and Elan's thoughts are not notable for anything save being silly.

Although, actually, I think Roy and Durkon would do well to bring Elan into their conversation. Elan is by no means an intellectual, but he does have a solid gut-level grip on what right and wrong are.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

20. - Top - End - #110

Funny thing about Wisdom. It's hard to really imagine it as a stat score, since true Wisdom comes from Experience. Luckily, at least for the Bard class, that is kind of built in. Bards get bonuses to Will save (wisdom based) and bardic knowledge so for that class, above all others Wisdom does come from Experience. For fighters, no matter how hard you hit things, you will still struggle understanding WHY you hit things unless you are a natural.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

It occurs to me that the team is making a huge strategic mistake here just to get a tactical advantage.

If they pop out of wherever they are now and attack Zykon as he passes by on his way out, it may give them a tactical advantage in the fight, but it draws attention to the area and how they did that. It may cause team evil to detect the traps that are working on them and keeping the gate safe. It seems careless to endanger the gate when there appears to be a protection that is actually working just for a fleeting tactical advantage.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Not really. Each of the party members are reacting "in character". Roy and Durkon have highly developed consciences, so they worry and fret about things and are wont to find fault with themselves. Belkar doesn't care. No one else besides Elan has leisure for any thoughts beyond preparation for their confrontation with an epic-level lich, and Elan's thoughts are not notable for anything save being silly.

Although, actually, I think Roy and Durkon would do well to bring Elan into their conversation. Elan is by no means an intellectual, but he does have a solid gut-level grip on what right and wrong are.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Yeah though also Haley could add. Haley did grow up in Greysky City and thus know about the shady stuff of life along with showcasing the stresses of living in a hostile environment and how that shapes you to be distrustful, along with showing how messed up that makes. Elan meanwhile could also note the nature of story elements and how that would work along with his own experiences. After all, he has seen Hinjo be hamstrung by political BS and likely point out that is why the good gods can't just do anything. That and well, how best the story could go.

23. - Top - End - #113

Lizardfolk

Just a thought: does the Telepathy spell allow for psychic partitions like this comic suggests? Do participants have to subvocalise towards their targets?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Didn't the man blow up a castle filled with living creatures for the lulz.

I'm still looking forward to seeing how all of the party members react to this new topic, eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    He did indeed, thanks to a childish desire to emulate a Vin Diesel movie. Let's take a look at Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    In the dictionary of familiar quotations, Elan's face sits above that entry.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    For fighters, no matter how hard you hit things, you will still struggle understanding WHY you hit things unless you are a natural.
    You hit things because they are moving and you don't want them to be.
    He knew perfectly well that the castle wouldn't blow up until just after everyone got out.

Or if you're unwilling to accept genre savviness as knowledge, there's no reason to expect the self destruct spell to work as if a mechanical clock was triggered. The spell simply waited for everyone who was trying to flee to get out. Then Elan stopped fleeing and the Dungeon immediately exploded.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Once again based Belkar is the only one making sense. If they care so much about the goblins' problems, try telling them who's actually responsible so they lash out at the right person, rather than victimize innocent people. Who in their right mind would feel sympathy for them at this point?
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I mean, Elan's definitely matured since those days. He's still pretty goofy and childish, but I think he's come a long way from "follow my impulses because it would be cool".
    Last edited by Robots; 2021-05-25 at 03:38 PM.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
    It occurs to me that the team is making a huge strategic mistake here just to get a tactical advantage.

If they pop out of wherever they are now and attack Zykon as he passes by on his way out, it may give them a tactical advantage in the fight, but it draws attention to the area and how they did that. It may cause team evil to detect the traps that are working on them and keeping the gate safe. It seems careless to endanger the gate when there appears to be a protection that is actually working just for a fleeting tactical advantage.
    You seem to be assuming that there would be an "after". I'm sure the Order is assuming that they have one chance - they defeat Xykon, or they lose and all die. And if that's the case, no one else is coming to stop him so eventually Team Evil would figure everything out regardless.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toodeep View Post

I wouldn't call it a strategic mistake, so much as a risk they are willing to take in order to destroy Xykon. If they win the fight, there's no Team Evil to find the gate.

Oh, right, or I could have just quoted this:

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    You seem to be assuming that there would be an "after". I'm sure the Order is assuming that they have one chance - they defeat Xykon, or they lose and all die. And if that's the case, no one else is coming to stop him so eventually Team Evil would figure everything out regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Once again based Belkar is the only one making sense. If they care so much about the goblins' problems, try telling them who's actually responsible so they lash out at the right person, rather than victimize innocent people. Who in their right mind would feel sympathy for them at this point?
    Huh?

Never mind, I don't think I should try to parse a calculus where the Chaotic Evil team member is "based."