New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1235 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    The thing is that many people (me included) didn't read Durkon's and Roy's point as being:
    "We must solve this problem for others because they're problems, not because we caused them."
    But rather as being:
    "We must solve this problem for others because we benefit from it, not because we caused them."
    Or being:
    "We must solve this problem for others because we don't have it, not because we caused them."
    And this is what people have been debating.

I don't want to open this debate again, i'm just pointing out that "We must solve this problem because it needs to be solved." is not what people were debating. No one had an issue with Roy saying "We must stop Xykon because someone has to stop him".
    For clarity, I was referring to numerous other threads where it's happened. Tbh, I didn't have this thread in mind at all (although that doesn't mean someone hasn't, and I missed reading it or it just didn't register).
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Elan would absolutely be one of those Facebook users c. 2010 that posts just about everything that pops into their minds.
    I'm so glad that that kind of thing is solidly in the past.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I'm so glad that that kind of thing is solidly in the past.
    Unlike, say, Redcloak's niece.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #154

Lizardfolk

May i ask you what NB means in this instance?
    Sure! In this case it's referring to Non-binary
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    For clarity, I was referring to numerous other threads where it's happened. Tbh, I didn't have this thread in mind at all (although that doesn't mean someone hasn't, and I missed reading it or it just didn't register).
    OK, i understand your point better then.
    I was under the impression we were still talking about the recent strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Unlike, say, Redcloak's niece.
    Redcloak's Niece is love.
    Redcloak's Niece is life.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Redcloak's Niece is love.
    Redcloak's Niece is life.
    Redcloak's Niece is laughter.
    You forgot the Holy Trinity (that no stereotypical white suburban home is complete with) there, pal.

I'm sure you're all glad I'm being kept awake and barely coherent by this horrendous toothache so I can continue to crappost on this forum.
    Last edited by Mariele; 2021-05-25 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As someone who wasn't a fan of the last two strips (and really, there aren't many strips in the comic I don't like), I thought this one was pretty much a perfect pivot away from that discussion. Elan and Belkar make everything better.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    I'm sure you're all glad I'm being kept awake and barely coherent by this horrendous toothache so I can continue to crappost on this forum.
    Oh geez, you okay? Definitely call a doctor or something if that keeps up.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Redcloak's Niece is laughter.
    You forgot the Holy Trinity (that no stereotypical white suburban home is complete with) there, pal.

Get well soon. *Hugs, if you allow*
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Huh?

Never mind, I don't think I should try to parse a calculus where the Chaotic Evil team member is "based."
    Because he's the only one talking sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The gods are who are responsible. That's exactly who Redcloak already wants to lash out at, and it's exactly who Durkon and Roy want to convince Redcloak to help.

Your suggestion is an excellent way to ensure that Redcloak will not help them seal the Snarl's prison.
    Completely wrong. Because it isn't "gods," it's just one god. Fenrir made that decision all on his own, Redcloak however wants to hold completely innocent people responsible for that choice and make them suffer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I find it fairly easy to both sympathize with the reasons that bring desperate people to their actions, even while also thinking they must be stopped or corrected. And I'm also capable of separating the acts of individuals from the people suffering at large. None of this strikes me as complicated or illogical.
    They deserve no sympathy. If a man burns down his neighbor's house, that neighbor doesn't get to drive to the next street and burn down someone else's house because he's mad about it. The goblins have been lashing out at the wrong people. They had no way of knowing, but evil acts are evil acts. There is no subjective good and evil in D&D, good and evil are objectively defined cosmic forces. No grey areas exist.

That's an extremely-unfortunate choice of words, considering how many people have been expressing it.

Also, as wiser people than I have observed: 1) Figuring out who's wrong does nothing to make it right. 2) War doesn't prove who's right, just who's left. 3) "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet." 4) Evil causes problems for others. Neutral leaves problems for others because they didn't cause them. Good solves problems for others because they're problems, not because they caused them.
    Knowing who's responsible gives you the opportunity to redeem yourself of the evil you've done. What Roy and Durkon are suggesting is they're partially responsible for the goblins' situation, because they benefitted from it. That's not how that works, they're not obligated to do anything. The first two panels of the previous comic, Roy called it "passing the buck." It's not. Roy's just feeling guilt over something he absolutely should not be. Tell the goblins which specific god screwed them over, if their very next act is not to leave Azure City, they're irredeemable villains and deserve the sword.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Elan is me at 3am, when I really wanna spout off whatever nonsense is going through my head. But everyone's asleep, and even random posts on social media get no attention.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    Elan is me at 3am, when I really wanna spout off whatever nonsense is going through my head. But everyone's asleep, and even random posts on social media get no attention.
    If you're awake at 2am you should just go to bed. Nothing good ever happens at 2am.

Unless you've got an actual reason to be awake at 2am like working the night shift or a condition that keeps you awake or something.

This goes even more for 3am.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If you're awake at 2am you should just go to bed. Nothing good ever happens at 2am.
    *coughs halfway to purple* Ahem. To quote Shojo, "you haven't been eating at the right tables". (^_~)
    Although I have to admit you may have circumvented my objection, by not phrasing it as "go to sleep".

More seriously, as a general rule this is overwhelmingly true if you add "in Internet discussion forums".
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Giant said at the time that:

If each +1 is "5% increase" then 5 +1s are "25% increase".
    isn't it 27.62% increase?

15. - Top - End - #165

Vaarsuvuis's response made me laugh out loud.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post

Knowing who's responsible gives you the opportunity to redeem yourself of the evil you've done. What Roy and Durkon are suggesting is they're partially responsible for the goblins' situation, because they benefitted from it. That's not how that works, they're not obligated to do anything.
    One can be "not in any way responsible for a bad thing" and still be responsible for fixing it because one benefits from that bad thing.

Specifically, when one has bought stolen goods, and then found out that they are stolen.

You are not in any way responsible for the theft, but you are obliged to hand the stolen goods over to law enforcement, rather than keep them.

good and evil are objectively defined cosmic forces. No grey areas exist.
    Even BOVD, one of the most "black and white morality" 3e splatbooks, admits that there are grey areas.

The point of Celia's big speech at the Order's trial, is that nuance and exception exist:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0282.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-05-26 at 04:15 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    isn't it 27.62% increase?
    It's five additional percent from the base value, not from each successive value.

Because each side of a fair 20-sided die has a 5% chance of coming up. So a +1 bonus is 5% more chance you'll suceed at whatever it is you're trying to do.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-05-26 at 04:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

One can be "not in any way responsible for a bad thing" and still be responsible for fixing it because one benefits from that bad thing.

Specifically, when one has bought stolen goods, and then found out that they are stolen.

You are not in any way responsible for the theft, but you are obliged to hand the stolen goods over to law enforcement, rather than keep them.
    I feel like some people are forgetting that Roy and Durkon are Lawful Good characters with, respectively, a strong sense of responsibility and duty. If they become aware of an injustice, of course they're going to consider what they can do to fix it.

Even BOVD, one of the most "black and white morality" 3e splatbooks, admits that there are grey areas.

The point of Celia's big speech at the Order's trial, is that nuance and exception exist:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0282.html
    If no grey areas existed, what would even be the point of having a Deva review your life, since it would be black-and-white anyway?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    My first thought when I read this strip was it felt like kind of a letdown, nothing important was said and the plot did not advance.
    It looks like that.

Remember strip #418 about Hinjos junk? Looked like a simple gag filler strip when it was published.
    But was used to provide the information why there was a single boat still waiting in the harbour much later, at the end of the third book.

Maybe it gets important later that the Telepathic Bond spell, although cast on multiple targets, allows several different 1-on-1 conversations at once.

Or maybe it's just to switch away from Roy and Durkon for a moment, so that they might have divised a plan in the meantime without us readers listening.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    It looks like that.

Remember strip #418 about Hinjos junk? Looked like a simple gag filler strip when it was published.
    But was used to provide the information why there was a single boat still waiting in the harbour much later, at the end of the third book.

Maybe it gets important later that the Telepathic Bond spell, although cast on multiple targets, allows several different 1-on-1 conversations at once.

Or maybe it's just to switch away from Roy and Durkon for a moment, so that they might have divised a plan in the meantime without us readers listening.
    IT's also a weird way to read a comic; if you had the book completed you'd not stop to analyze each page on its own. Once this arc is written and read as a single piece it will probably read better, or at least differently.

The serial nature of publication one page at a time means that we keep getting slightly unnatural stopping points (and that each page has to end with a bit of a conclusion).

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if everything was black-and-white, what would Neutral be for?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #172

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I mean, if everything was black-and-white, what would Neutral be for?
    Characters who only want to fix problems they themselves caused.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

What Roy and Durkon are suggesting is they're partially responsible for the goblins' situation, because they benefitted from it. That's not how that works, they're not obligated to do anything. The first two panels of the previous comic, Roy called it "passing the buck." It's not. Roy's just feeling guilt over something he absolutely should not be.
    That maybe works for a neutral, but Roy and Durkon are good, not just good, maybe the "goodest" characters in the comic. They both have sacrificed their own lifes to protect others and that wasn't their "duty" at all, they just did it couse they are that good. We are not talking about "normal" people who just live their lifes on their own, being "more or less good", Roy and Durkon are real Heros of Goodness.

And yes, if you are that good, you feel guilty when you realize that you are not doing "your best".

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's five additional percent from the base value, not from each successive value.

Because each side of a fair 20-sided die has a 5% chance of coming up. So a +1 bonus is 5% more chance you'll suceed at whatever it is you're trying to do.
    But that is "logic" if we are talking about the attack bonus... but that blacksmith is talking about the damage bonus increasing 25% too, and if the greatsword damage is 2d6, a +5 is almost a +50% not a +25%. So i also think is talking about "+4 -> +5" couse then that is a +25% in both attack and dmg bonus, and not "non magical -> +5" couse then the bonus in damage has no sense.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2021-05-26 at 06:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I'm afraid to ask... I know blue means sarcasm or at least non-seriousness, what does red mean?

I'm more confused about what purple is. Is there some master thread about text colors and what they mean?
    If you know any OOTS liveblogs or similar reactions that aren't dafukdidiwatch or mindareadsoots, please message me with them. I am starved of OOTS reaction content.
    Also anyone analyzing it or using it as an example for something like thewebcomicsreview does sometimes. I just need more OOTS content.

Quote Originally Posted by Roselily2006 View Post
    I'm probably overthinking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Ha ha ha ha. No, just kidding. We should argue.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    My first thought when I read this strip was it felt like kind of a letdown, nothing important was said and the plot did not advance.
    This is not the first strip that has done this. And I doubt it will be the last. Rich spends a lot of time with character "inner monologues" using various artifices (V's is with Blackwing, Roy just talks, Haley had her alter egos and now Elan, and so on)
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Characters who only want to fix problems they themselves caused.
    Which leads us in this direction:
    Hi, I'm chaotic neutral. I'm part of the problem, not part of the solution.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #176

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Which leads us in this direction:
    Hi, I'm chaotic neutral. I'm part of the problem, not part of the solution.
    Oh, sure, blame Chaos. Next you'll tell me the Warp is a bad place to be.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Oh, sure, blame Chaos. Next you'll tell me the Warp is a bad place to be.
    HERETIC! (*smashes Exterminatus button*)
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Alas, poor Elan. To have a deep thought he'd have to fall down a well.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

29. - Top - End - #179

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roselily2006 View Post
    I'm more confused about what purple is. Is there some master thread about text colors and what they mean?
    Red is for moderator action. Everything else is whatever you want to itnto be.

Blue is quite popular to denote sarcasm. There is no other consensus I am aware of. Except for white, which to hide text for later.

I used purple once to "autoscrub", that is to say, to remove something I wrote, that in hindsight I doubt was rules-compliant but I didn't want to use red, not beind a moderator.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.