New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Favorite Superhero RPG

The D&D 5e game that I run every week is approaching its end (after a year and a half of weekly play). I want a change of pace and am thinking that a superhero game would be fun. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what RPG is best for superheroes?

Right now I'm considering City of Mist, Masks and, Mutants and Masterminds. But I'm not sure which to go with since I've never actually played any of them and I'm also sure there are a lot of other good ones out there I've never heard of or have overlooked which might be even better.

Please give me a rundown of some of your favorites and what you would consider to be the biggest pluses and minuses.

Thank you
    Last edited by kingcheesepants; 2021-05-27 at 05:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Superhero RPG

I'd recommend Mutants & Masterminds, though I must admit it's the only superhero RPG I've tried.

That said, I really like it compared to other games in general. It hits my personal sweet spot between "too strict" and "too loose" especially regarding the super powers (as well as related areas like skills and gadgets). It's possible to create almost any sort of super powers and flavor them in a suitable way while also having enough rules not to make them seem too freeform-y, if you understand what I mean.

The downside of the flexibility is that it's quite easy to create stupidly overpowered characters, even by accident. If you don't feel you can trust your players to balance them self, you're probably gonna have to ban or nerf a lot of stuff. Personally, I like that the imbalance is at least between specific powers rather than broader types of characters (like classes). So unlike D&D where some classes are almost automatically more powerful than other classes, almost any type of superhero can be as strong or weak as you want.

You can also set the general power level of the campaign, which affects how powerful the characters can be (so if you want to play Justice League you set a much higher level than if you want street-level heroes).
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-05-27 at 06:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wild Talents, because the authors expect you to go wild with it. Unlike M&M there's no Power Level, just a bunch of points that you spend on Stats, Skills, Hyperstats and Hyperskills (cheaper but can be nullified), and Miracles for everything else. Oh, and your power source(s), which determines what you're allowed to buy.

Powers are built by first buying instances of the ability to Attack, the ability to Defend, and the ability to do Useful things. Telekinesis would be Attack (throw objects with your mind), Attack (strangle people with your mind), Defend (push incoming objects away), and Useful (move things that aren't near to you). Flight is DU, throwing fireballs is A, controlling water is ADU, shooting webs is ADUUU (arguably). You turn load these effects up with extras if you want, because by default you only get to have them be ranged, affect an area or certain amount of mass or be fast, not everything, and also apply flaws if you want some points back. Oh, and stack on things like extra range or area or other nice things.

Rolls are made using a d10 dice pool, either stat+skill or the rating of a miracle. You roll your pool and keep any set, the number on the dice (height) determines if you succeed, the number of dice in a set (width) determines how well you did. All dice in a set must have rolled the same number. I'm addition to normal dice you can also buy Hard Dice (always rolls a 10) or Wiggle Dice (rolls whatever you want). Mix and match as much as you want, it's legitimate to have an body of 2+1HD+2WD.

You could buy Fight, Hypertrength, and Heat Vision. Or you could buy two hard dice in Turn Off The Sun (don't worry, the book stats that one). So decide if you want to load up on armour and other miracles or just put five hard dice in hypershooting and only ever land headshots. It's very flexible, because anything that isn't a hyperstat or hyperskill boils down to those same three effects.

As a bonus I think the no frills, rules only edition is like £5 in paperback.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I've read Wild Talents and M&M. They're both ones I like most for different reasons: M&M is for one when you want to emulate most things with a sensible framework and such to play normal supers, Wild Talents is when you want to do something even M&M balks at, like being reality warpers or gods or destroying universes like in Dragonball Super, or Homestuck, or things that in general are not as easily mappable to M&M, as M&M assumes certain things about powers and how they are built. like M&M can do general superhero stuff people archetypically think superheroes are capable of easily, but its much harder and more work to do things that are more abstract or have fuzzier limits in what they effect and how they affect things with it, while in Wild Talents that isn't a problem. what would take lot of hashing out how a specific Variable effect power works in M&M, would be simple dice rolls in Wild Talents.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

What level of complexity do you like in character creation? What kind of gameplay do you prioritize (genre emulation, tactical combat, character drama & relationships, etc) ? I can't speak to City of Mists but M&M and Wild Talents I'd put at the high end in terms of character complexity; they both use granular power building systems (though with some interesting differences). Masks is a "Ptba" game like Dungeon World, so is quite different both in character building and in play.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'm going to recommend an 80s throwback: The Marvel Super Heroes RPG, otherwise known as FASERIP. It covers comic book heroes almost perfectly.

It's available for legal download at classicmarvelforever.com.

There's an *active* fan group producing new content on Facebook: The Unofficial Marvel Canon Project.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I must admit, this thread is kind of making me want to check out Wild Talents.

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateWench

My go-to superhero RPG is Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG.

It is long out of print, so that's a drawback. And there are three editions. You want to avoid the 1st edition (characters are based on a pre-Crisis power level), but the 2nd and 3rd editions are equally great, though the 2nd edition comes with more stuff (like a lot of character stats for existing DC characters).

The advantages of this system over every other superhero game system are as follows:

(1) It easily handles *every* power level. You can effortlessly make *any* comic book character, regardless of how powerful. Superman? No problem.

And there's none of this awkward fudging that some games have to use, where they go, "Oh, you can lift a planet? Well we can't give you that much strength so instead we'll give you this advantage/feat/whatever that makes you lift more than normal, so that you can still only be as strong as Aunt May and still lift a planet." I hate that sort of thing.

DC Heroes uses a logarithmic scale (with a base of 2) so that Superman only needs a STR of 25 (or pre-Crisis Superman needs a STR of 50), while an average ordinary person would have a STR of 2.

(2) You only ever roll two dice.

The game uses 2d10 (with "exploding" dice, meaning you re-roll and add every time you roll doubles). And that's it! Superman punches someone? Roll 2d10. You want to try to repair your broken car? Roll 2d10. You want to seduce the barmaid? Roll 2d10. That's it.

The game uses a table that combines "did you hit/succeed" with a second half that tells you "how much damage you did or how well you succeeded". You don't have to roll damage which is great because a lot of games would make you roll 5000 dice for Superman's damage (unless they're using the stupid "you're not really strong but you can lift a lot" idea).

(3) There's no complicated intricacy, but it still handles everything.

You don't have to sweat the details of "gee, I'm trying to make Batman and I don't know if he needs to take the feats for Disarming, Tripping, and Tickling". No. He's good at fighting. Give him the stats and skills for being good at fighting. Done.

You don't have to build (in a Champions way) every single power. They're all pre-built.

But the game still handles everything. You want to be like Beast Boy and shape change into animals? Great, here's the one power you need to do it. You will have a "rank" in the power (like Shape Change: 8) but that's all the detail you need. And you can turn into every animal. And you don't have to (in a Champions way) figure out how to redistribute tons and tons of points, to "build" each animal that you would ever become. You just turn into the animal. Take the stats of the animal. Those are your (physical) stats now. Done. (Okay, you get to split up your ranks and add them to the stats too, but that takes like 5 seconds.)

And every complicated power is just. that. easy.

Power Negation? No problem. Power Duplication? No problem. Power Stealing? No problem. "I can do anything because I'm magic"? No problem. "I have every power but almost never use them"? No problem.

Things that take hours to build (and use each time) in some game systems are trivially easy in DC Heroes. And it's not because it's a rules-light or rules-absent game (like, say, FUDGE or BESM). It has just enough rules to cover *exactly* how your powers work.

(4) It is effortless to make a character (especially for DMs).

If you can describe a character and you even barely know the game system (no real system mastery needed), you can write down the character sheet for the character. There's none of this looking up obscure feats or trying to find the "best" way to build the character. None of that garbage is in this game.

So, if you want to run a sandbox game, where the players can do whatever they want, it's okay to have them do things you didn't expect. If you need to design a villain's character sheet on the fly, you can do it in five seconds.

If you want to translate characters from your favorite work of fiction into the game, you can do it. Again, it takes about five seconds. It's not difficult.

(5) Things work almost exactly like they do in the comics.

Okay, the game's not perfect. But most superhero games are "D&D but with superpowers", like they haven't changed the mindset of what an RPG is to focus on what superhero comics are like. DC Heroes gives you the feel of superhero comics. Sometimes, that's not a good thing, but it is a thing.

Fights can go the wrong way. Spider-Man can beat Firelord, Batman can beat Amazo, and Deathstroke can defeat the entire Justice League by himself. That happens in the comics even though it shouldn't. Well thanks to exploding dice and "hero points", fights might not always go the way you expect them to (though they often will).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game's drawbacks:

(1) The game is meant for superheroes. While the game can handle non-powered nobodies, if you really want to play non-powered nobodies, this is probably not the best game for you. Yes, we have stats for Sergeant Rock and Blackhawk and Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane. You could use those people as PCs in a game. But you shouldn't.

(2) Character creation is a bit too open. The GM needs to keep a careful eye on what the players want to make as it is easy to make a character that should not be allowed to exist.

(3) There's one obvious rule that everyone who plays the game knows needs to be changed. (It's the "your powerful energy blast becomes more likely to hit, the more damaging that it is" rule.)

(4) Building gadgets on the fly is not really a thing in this game, unlike TSR's Marvel Super Heroes RPG which has "kit bashing". That's not a big deal, but that's one of the few comic tropes that DC Heroes really doesn't do. In DC Heroes, you have to be in your lab to build a gadget.

But if you can get past those drawbacks, DC Heroes is really the best superhero RPG ever produced, to the extent that some of its awesome features seem to have been... let's say "homaged*"... in Mutants and Masterminds.

*it's better than saying "ripped off".
    Last edited by SimonMoon6; 2021-05-27 at 11:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I feel the need to point out that M&M also has abilities scale exponentially with a base of two, it just puts a cap on attack+damage and defences.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is the kind of thread, where I have to mention Capes: Super Roleplaying again.
    It is a GM-less system, where you can change the character you play with each scene. Sometimes those characters aren't people, but some kind of event or device, sometimes you play multiple characters in a scene.
    It is ridiculous simple to create characters and it, kind of balances every kind of ability, due to the system being about influencing the story, not about who hits the hardest.

The only downsides are, that it is REALLY obscure and that you need active players, who are willing and able to contribute to the story.

Have a link:
    http://www.museoffire.com/Games
    Last edited by Kapow; 2021-05-27 at 03:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

My preference is Champions, from Hero Systems. I can set up any kind of character I want; there is infinite flexibility. The distinction between STUN, BODY, and Endurance, rather than just "hit points" makes perfect sense to me.

I once built a brick with four different levels of STR. He had 45 STR that cost no endurance, 75 that he could use all day, because it cost exactly the Endurance that he recovered each turn, and he could make a 90 STR action, but it would take him awhile to recover. That made intuitive sense to me.

I also built a Robin-like character with several of his skills based on powers in a multipower. For instance, he had Teleportation 5 squares, with the ability to change facing and ignore relative velocity, but he needed gestures, a skill roll, and to pass through the intervening space. This was his ability to jump onto (or off of) a moving vehicle, or to flip over a villain and come down behind him, kicking the back of his head. I also built his escape artist skills as the power Desolidification, with similar limitations.

Many people don't like Champions, because character creation takes some moderate-level arithmetic. But that is no barrier for me. [I will often wind up building one or two other players' character sheets, for that reason. But once the sheet is finished, people have no trouble playing it.]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

If Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG predates and… "strongly influenced" Mutants and Masterminds, then not only can I see why I like descriptions of the former, but I also may have seen it. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it, because the GM wanted players to run "Lois Lane aspiring to become Robin", rather than the super heroes the game was designed for.

M&M is like 3e D&D: it has a really strong concept of "balance" in certain dimensions, and is as unbalanced as a superhero game in others.

Either way, my vote is for these two (although, of them, I've only really played M&M).

Champions is nice if you want to spend the extra mental energy tracking stamina (sometimes I do, sometimes not). Just… if your players are like mine, you may need to reverse the math (it's a "roll low" system).

I have a soft spot for Marvel facerip, and the way that it handles stunting (and power stunts becoming permanent portions of the character's repartee). Spending XP to succeed is… interesting? But the XP system makes buying whole new, unrelated powers at high levels much cheaper than improving even low level existing powers. It's the WoD XP problem, writ superhero large.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Throwing my vote in for DC Heroes. Absolute blast of a rules-light superhero game. The focus is on fun action.

Unfortunately, being out of print, it's hard to find. You might be able to find a PDF of the rules tucked away somewhere on the intertubes, but that's a kind of at-your-own-risk thing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Has anyone ever tried Wearing The Cape, a superhero setting running on the Fate/Fudge engine? Fate tends to fall apart at the outright superhuman levels of power normally.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I feel the need to point out that M&M also has abilities scale exponentially with a base of two, it just puts a cap on attack+damage and defences.
    Yeah, you can lift universes with Strength, or shove Mars back into orbit with a high enough Move Object. Just don't expect to use that score to damage anything.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Has anyone ever tried Wearing The Cape, a superhero setting running on the Fate/Fudge engine? Fate tends to fall apart at the outright superhuman levels of power normally.
    No it doesn't. It just takes an understanding on what skill ranks in Fate mean, and use of Permissions.

As for Wearing the Cape? While I have it, I'd honestly say that Venture City is the better way to do supers in Fate. It concentrates on characters with one or two parts instead of the common piwersets in WtC, but there's some bits in WtC I really don't like (bringing in an Attribute/Skill split for starters).

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Yeah, you can lift universes with Strength, or shove Mars back into orbit with a high enough Move Object. Just don't expect to use that score to damage anything.
    To be honest, I think separating lifting Strength and damage Strength like that is useful. Plus it means they as long as you're hiring PL limits on attacks and defences you can put your remaining points anywhere and still participate in combat.

Although honestly these days I find myself more interested in running a PL 6 or 8 game instead of PL 10. Not entirely sure why, probably because if I want to actually go high powered I'd rather be playing something like WT.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Wait.

*rechecks M&M*

huh I misread. I thought the power level cap applied to everything. This makes playing DBZ with make much more sense if things like flight, strength and such can go above the cap.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Wait.

*rechecks M&M*

huh I misread. I thought the power level cap applied to everything. This makes playing DBZ with make much more sense if things like flight, strength and such can go above the cap.
    How do you think I get the bunnies to go FTL?

But yeah, there's some weird things as to what it applies to. Speed is somewhat questionable due to the ability to just run/fly into people, but I'd b that it might also be reasonable to take Speed (no ramming) at one point per two ranks of the GM comparing about it.

But yeah, the PL limit is the thing I see must people not quite getting, mostly by making it more restrictive. I had one GM who insisted that nothing could go above your PLb(stats, skills, powers, whatever), which was hilarious because all characters ended up effectively identical.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, I never thought of that use for Speed, and I think any reasonable ruling would just say the attack ramming attack is the PL limit no matter how fast your going, or if your being mechanical about it, require a hero point to use speed as a ramming attack or even have to design an alternate effect for that.

but yeah, nice to know I can go above the cap outside of certain things, that really opens things up.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, I never thought of that use for Speed, and I think any reasonable ruling would just say the attack ramming attack is the PL limit no matter how fast your going, or if your being mechanical about it, require a hero point to use speed as a ramming attack or even have to design an alternate effect for that.

but yeah, nice to know I can go above the cap outside of certain things, that really opens things up.
    Just double checked, it's called a Slam Attack and it's recommended to restrict or to PL limits with an optional extra point of damage if you moved your full speed rank (which is kind of weird). It does mean that a speedster doesn't have to buy a Damage power for ramming, although it still makes sense of you can throw a fast punch while remaining in place, and sadly I'm not sure it helps with grapples.

But yeah, what you, and in all honesty I, immediately went to as a limit. Damage is equal to Speed, attack bonus is Close Attack (Ramming), reduce damage until PL limits aren't broken (I mean, it's supposed to be 'I run up to you and punch you really hard', but you're still basically ramming).

Yes, I have built at least one character who uses this as their primary attack. 0 Strength, over 20 Speed, some points in getting it to hit, and Move-By-Attack. Runs across the city every round bumping into you on the way. Sadly never got to play them.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    The D&D 5e game that I run every week is approaching its end (after a year and a half of weekly play). I want a change of pace and am thinking that a superhero game would be fun. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what RPG is best for superheroes?
    The issue here is that, well, superheroes is one of the widest genres there are, even more so than sci fi or fantasy. Sure, fantasy can be in an expy of Babylonia circa Bronze Age collapse, but... so can superheroes.

If you don't really care what the excat flavor of superhero is, then you have all the suggestions above.

If, ont he other hand, you're trying to recreate something specific (HeroAka, DC, Marvel, Watchmen etc), my advice is to go for FATE. If you put in a bit fo work, it can recreate almost any system - I did HeroAka in it - and not just superheroes, so getting skills in it will mean your next game can well be Wild West IN SPACE, and you will still have a system to run it with.

The drawbacks are obvious - a system this generic doesn't really have tactical puzzle combat that DnD has, and you have to put in some work to make the setting. I can hash out new setting mechanics in a few hours, but I've got kind fo a lot of playtime in FATE, so...
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Greywolf View Post
    The issue here is that, well, superheroes is one of the widest genres there are, even more so than sci fi or fantasy. Sure, fantasy can be in an expy of Babylonia circa Bronze Age collapse, but... so can superheroes.

If you don't really care what the excat flavor of superhero is, then you have all the suggestions above.

If, ont he other hand, you're trying to recreate something specific (HeroAka, DC, Marvel, Watchmen etc), my advice is to go for FATE. If you put in a bit fo work, it can recreate almost any system - I did HeroAka in it - and not just superheroes, so getting skills in it will mean your next game can well be Wild West IN SPACE, and you will still have a system to run it with.

The drawbacks are obvious - a system this generic doesn't really have tactical puzzle combat that DnD has, and you have to put in some work to make the setting. I can hash out new setting mechanics in a few hours, but I've got kind fo a lot of playtime in FATE, so...
    I don't mean to thread hijack, but I'm curious how you did HeroAca in FATE. Did each person have a stunt that represented their quirk? or an aspect? How did you handle the differing power levels?

23. - Top - End - #23

I really like BASH!. Simple but not simplistic. Easily scales so you can run anything from low power to high power to universe shattering power. You spend more time playing less time with your head in tables. Character generation isn’t convoluted and doesn’t reward min-maxing/unnatural synergies the way some other systems can.
    There are also a lot of supplements cheaply available if you don’t have the time to create your own niche.

I’ve run it with Golden Age settings (think The Shadow, The Phantom, Darkman, Doc Savage, 1940s era Batman, **** Tracy) with enhanced humans as heroes not full on modern superpowered superheroes and it handles that kind of game excellently. I know people who run it in modern settings and they like it for that too.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm a huge fan of Champions - and Hero System is probably the game I run most often - but the learning curve for character creation can be a bit much for some people. (My normal tactics, when introducing the system to people, is run a non-powered genre like Pulp Hero first. This gets new players exposed to the in-play mechanics, which relatively straightforward, without forcing them into a deep-dive into character creation.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post

Right now I'm considering City of Mist, Masks and, Mutants and Masterminds. But I'm not sure which to go with since I've never actually played any of them and I'm also sure there are a lot of other good ones out there I've never heard of or have overlooked which might be even better.

Please give me a rundown of some of your favorites and what you would consider to be the biggest pluses and minuses.

Thank you
    Masks is incredibly good. One of the best PbtA chassis games you're going to find. It's quite well built mechanically, allows for a team of wildly different powerlevels without anyone feeling underpowered or useless and with how PbtA operates, it's narrative focused. The issue is in if you want to play teenagers or not because the game is very much dependent on that coming of age/teen drama on top of super hero stuff. It does not do adult heroes, it doesn't try to do adult heroes.

City of Mists is not a super hero RPG despite it constantly being brought up as one. It's more like Dresden Files or other, similar Urban Fantasy games but also has a mix of Vampire/World of Darkness to it. A lot of it's mechanics just do not allow the Marvel/DC style stories people think of when they hear superhero. I would avoid it if that's what you're looking for, and it seems that you are. The game is also mostly PbtA but it adds other mechanics on top of itself and honestly the game is really clunky in that aspect.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's a new game, so I haven't gotten much of a chance to play, but I really like the look of the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG. They've done some work to make the system feel like playing in the middle of a comic book, including getting certain abilities in the worst situations. It's worth at least giving a look.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gonna throw my hat in the ring as an advocate of Masks. It's incredibly well built for doing one specific variety of superhero, which is Teen Titans. You play as a team of young superheroes, who each face different challenges based on their playbook archetype. For instance, the Legacy is at least the third in a line of super heroes. You're Tim Drake Robin, having to deal with Batman, Nightwing, and Jason Todd. You're defined by the heroes who came before you, and so the challenges you face have a lot to deal with the expectations you're gonna have to live up to. Compare that to the Outsider, who's the alien in a new world, or the Janus, who must balance the needs of being a mundane teenager with having a super-powered secret identitity.

Over the course of the game, your hero changes and adapts as their self-image changes, as they deal with expectations of adults and people they respect. Do they choose to live up to those expectations, or reject them? Do they lash out to deal with the stress? What does it look like when they finally have thir climactic moment of truth? What kind of hero do they grow up to be?

It's just an amazing system to play in, provided the game you want to play is Teen Titans.

(And, if you don't mind me tooting my friends' horns, I think the PbP game we did in Cyberpunk Teen Titans was pretty darn incredible if you want to take a look.)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    City of Mists is not a super hero RPG despite it constantly being brought up as one. It's more like Dresden Files or other, similar Urban Fantasy games but also has a mix of Vampire/World of Darkness to it.
    While I'm not going to disagree with the 'can't do Marvel/DC style stories' because I haven't played it, I would like to note that there's a lot of overlap between superheroes and urban fantasy anyway, the biggest differentiators seem to be costumes and a less strictly Masquerade-style arrangement. Both genres are a pretty natural successor to pulp stories anyway, to the point where 'pulp hero' versus 'streer level super' is very much not clear cut. Jet Black (and his amazing jetpack) would likely fit into most superhero settings without needing any adjustment.

So yeah, there's always going to be grey areas and games which are supers games but not Marvel/DC style ones.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

While I'm not going to disagree with the 'can't do Marvel/DC style stories' because I haven't played it, I would like to note that there's a lot of overlap between superheroes and urban fantasy anyway, the biggest differentiators seem to be costumes and a less strictly Masquerade-style arrangement. Both genres are a pretty natural successor to pulp stories anyway, to the point where 'pulp hero' versus 'streer level super' is very much not clear cut. Jet Black (and his amazing jetpack) would likely fit into most superhero settings without needing any adjustment.

So yeah, there's always going to be grey areas and games which are supers games but not Marvel/DC style ones.
    O...k? I have played City of Mists, I'm telling you (and anyone else) what the system is and how the mechanics don't allow for what people are thinking of when it says it can run a "super hero" game. The game's lore (which like most PbtA games are tied to the mechanics) and focus on neo-Noir don't allow it to take on a lot of the popular hero stories in the same vein as Masks or Worlds in Peril. I'm saying it doesn't do street level supers well either. I honestly don't know why you'd feel like you, who haven't played the game, are going to try and lecture me on the types of game it might be able to run without any experience with it. That's...that's weird.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    O...k? I have played City of Mists, I'm telling you (and anyone else) what the system is and how the mechanics don't allow for what people are thinking of when it says it can run a "super hero" game. The game's lore (which like most PbtA games are tied to the mechanics) and focus on neo-Noir don't allow it to take on a lot of the popular hero stories in the same vein as Masks or Worlds in Peril. I'm saying it doesn't do street level supers well either. I honestly don't know why you'd feel like you, who haven't played the game, are going to try and lecture me on the types of game it might be able to run without any experience with it. That's...that's weird.
    Because I get very annoyed by overly narrow genre definitions. I'm not talking about the game except as a jumping off point, I'm talking about the definition of a superhero story/game.

You say 'it isn't a superhero game because it can't do X style of story'. I say 'it can still be a superhero game, because supers is a genre that tends to blur with others, at least partially due to what genres it diverged from'. As I ought admitted, I haven't played the game. But you said that it's not a supers RPG, and your argument was 'it doesn't do Marvel/DC style stories'.

I'm not saying it can do those stories, or that it's not got more in common with The Dresden Files than them. I am saying that such a thing doesn't discount it from being a supers game (despite being a really useful thing to know).

Okay, I've gone back and had a look at the game. I'd argue that it's definitely a supers concept, but yes not a supers story. Which makes it a supers game but with an asterisk next to it (like how Venture City tried to blend superheroes with cyberpunk themes).

Show