New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very noisy bird

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Very noisy bird

There is a very, VERY noisy bird that starts chirping very early in the morning. I have tried to keep the window closed, use earplugs, use some white noise generator, but the bird is so noisy that it keeps waking me up as it starts chirping. I downloaded a bird identification app, and it says it's an American Robin, and looking online i found that these birds sing throughout the entire mating season, which lasts until JULY.

Does anybody of you have any suggestion on how to handle this? I am losing my sleep (and my mind) on this pest, it's so noisy that i can't hear myself think. Just for context, I live in Philadelphia.

Thank you all.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Very noisy bird

City people...

Get a cat.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

We get robins all the time; they're considered an early sign of spring. I'm surprised it's so bothersome as they aren't as noisy as other common birds like blue jays. Is there a tree near your window?

Cats are efficient killers but indiscriminant. Sadly , an article in the NY Times just mentioned that we have lost 1/3 of our bird population in America in just my son's lifetime.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-04-30 at 07:00 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    City people...

Get a cat.
    The cure is worse than the disease...

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Does anybody of you have any suggestion on how to handle this? I am losing my sleep (and my mind) on this pest, it's so noisy that i can't hear myself think. Just for context, I live in Philadelphia.
    I have a similar problem with the local pigeons either hooting on the roof, or in trees that are pretty much out of cat range.

Really, you have to learn to live with it, unless you do something like getting an air rifle and shooting it (not reccomended, by the way, even if local laws allow it). Even then, all that will happen is that another will likley take its place.

You can do things like:
    • Moving your sleep patterns (go to bed earlier, wake up before the robin starts).
    • If you can pinpoint where the robin is, encourage it to move (spikes on perching places).
    • Double Glazing (Secondary glazing with a 2-inch gap is supposed to be good for noise)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-04-30 at 07:13 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The cure is worse than the disease...
    Really, you have to learn to live with it, unless you do something like getting an air rifle and shooting it (not reccomended, by the way, even if local laws allow it). Even then, all that will happen is that another will likley take its place.
    Full disclosure, my first answer was a slingshot, but I didn't think it would go over on these boards. Personally, I'll take birdsong over city noise every day forever.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

6. - Top - End - #6

I don't want in any way harm the bird, even though I have homicidal thoughts in my brain about it The worst that I would be willing to do would be to use a water gun to scare it, but I don't want it to suffer, it's just an innocent bird.
    I think I will just have to suck it up: apparently robins are not considered pests and thus it's not possible to contact, eventually, authorities about them.

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Full disclosure, my first answer was a slingshot, but I didn't think it would go over on these boards. Personally, I'll take birdsong over city noise every day forever.
    Well, yes, but the two aren't mutually exclusive (you can have city noise and bird noise) and "neither" is an option as well.

Whether you have city noise already or not, a suddenly noisy bird deciding to live right next to your bedroom is pretty annoying.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Find whatever its sitting on and make it less able to sit there. Tree branch, exterior windowsill, some other thing, if its really close to your window theres a decent chance you can access it. You dont even need to damage it, just put something on it that the bird wont like to stand on.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Keltest
    Find whatever its sitting on and make it less able to sit there. Tree branch, exterior windowsill, some other thing, if its really close to your window theres a decent chance you can access it. You dont even need to damage it, just put something on it that the bird wont like to stand on.
    Probably the best suggestion so far. You've likely seen the spikes that buildings have to prevent birds perching on inconvenient spots; you could try something like that, or possibly netting.

If you can't use spikes (and I can think of plenty of reasons why this woudn't work) one alternative is the spiky gumballs from sweetgum trees, if you can get them. Or put out a row of potted cacti and see if that works as a deterrent.

Ironically, I jumped up in the middle of writing this post because I heard a catbird right outside my window.

10. - Top - End - #10

Eh, the problem is that I do not really have direct access to its nesting place. I can't climb the tree's it's nesting onto, and can't really throw stuff in the air hoping to scare it, as there are cars parked nearby.

A suggestion that i received is to play audio of another robin chirping: apparently robins are fiercely territorial, and hearing another of its kind around might chase it off.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Can you reach it with a high-powered squirt gun? Might be worth a try, and water's innocuous.

Also, you might try contacting your local chapter of Audubon to see if they have any suggestions.

Last edited by Palanan; 2021-04-30 at 09:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I just did a Google search for "how to scare off a bird" and it came off with this website. Hanging a reflective object like an old CD near where the bird normally perches seems like a pretty easy way to encourage it to go elsewhere.

I recognize you can't climb the tree, but you could probably connect two CDs with a cord and then throw it like a bola on to the branch.

https://www.callnorthwest.com/2020/0...ep-birds-away/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-04-30 at 01:51 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

This is a relatively minor thing. This is the sort of thing that's irritating to one person, but another might not notice it and a third might like it.

There was a person who was righteously sued by the authorities for noise nuisance after having music so loud that it was measured at 75 dB outside their house at gone 12pm at night.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-04-30 at 03:47 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Birds have become louder in that past 50 or so years. They have to go above the city noise that also has become louder.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Get a white noise machine. Or leave the TV on.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #16

Okay, this is what I'm going to do. I read that robins are fiercely territorial: I will find online a version of the chirping of the robin, and on Monday I'm going to leave it on, speakers pointed towards outside, all day long. If all goes well, the robin will get scared of the rival and fly away.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, this is what I'm going to do. I read that robins are fiercely territorial: I will find online a version of the chirping of the robin, and on Monday I'm going to leave it on, speakers pointed towards outside, all day long. If all goes well, the robin will get scared of the rival and fly away.
    Be sure the robin can't get in to try and fight the "rival". I don't know what your window setup is, but if you leave it open such that the bird can get it, it might get stuck or hurt itself trying to fight your speaker.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

What if you got a recording of a cat?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What if you got a recording of a cat?
    Prepare to have shoes thrown at your window...which may not be bad if you are the same size as a fashionable neighbor.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You could try to get some bird of prey silhouettes of birds of prey to stick in your window or one of the hang up able ones to try and scare them off. I'm not sure how effective they are but I've seen them used in a few places and it's probably the easiest solution to try.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    You could try to get some bird of prey silhouettes of birds of prey to stick in your window or one of the hang up able ones to try and scare them off. I'm not sure how effective they are but I've seen them used in a few places and it's probably the easiest solution to try.
    I was literally about to post this (having finally remembered the old episode of The Good Life, no less). You can also get cat silhouettes for the same purpose. I don't think the window ones are all that much good, but if they can be hung outside they may be a bit better as the silhouette will be against the sky.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea the only times I've seen the window ones work was when birds kept flying into windows in my old school so they put some stickers there to show it was solid. Seemed to work but I doubt it scared them off.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I just got a catalog in the mail and one of the items in it was a sonic bird repellant. Claims : "Easy, non harmful way to repel birds". You might want to look into that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Cats are efficient killers but indiscriminant. Sadly , an article in the NY Times just mentioned that we have lost 1/3 of our bird population in America in just my son's lifetime.
    Unless you are 500 years old I doubt you can blame it all on cats. I think the more likely cause is staring right back at you in the mirror. If anything habitat loss due to human activities will be much more impactful than cats. At least cats are effectively natural predator they will select for.

I'd still be in favour of the cat. Everyone needs a tiny god-emperor ruling over their household.

I just got a catalog in the mail and one of the items in it was a sonic bird repellant. Claims : "Easy, non harmful way to repel birds". You might want to look into that.
    That sounds to me like a cheap plastic crap you buy and toss out as it turns out that there's no such thing. I'm always suspicious of things sold with claims where you can just swap out one word of it. They sell such things against mice, rodents and other vermin as well as cats... never heard anyone who could positively identify it as having actually worked.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There is a very, VERY noisy bird that starts chirping very early in the morning. I have tried to keep the window closed, use earplugs, use some white noise generator, but the bird is so noisy that it keeps waking me up as it starts chirping. I downloaded a bird identification app, and it says it's an American Robin, and looking online i found that these birds sing throughout the entire mating season, which lasts until JULY.
    I sympathise; I have a Robin thats picked a spot outside my bedroom window to hang out in the mornings, and although I haven't noticed anything (I am a very heavy sleeper), my fiance has started to harbour homicidal thoughts towards the little git. Apparently her main complaint is not that he is loud (though he supposedly is), but that he isn't very tuneful, so its particularly annoying
    Last edited by Glorthindel; 2021-05-04 at 06:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Unless you are 500 years old I doubt you can blame it all on cats. I think the more likely cause is staring right back at you in the mirror. If anything habitat loss due to human activities will be much more impactful than cats. At least cats are effectively natural predator they will select for.

I'd still be in favour of the cat. Everyone needs a tiny god-emperor ruling over their household.
    The number for the loss of 1/3 of our birds is only in the last 30 years.

Yes, I am well aware that humans are the number one cause, due to loss of habitat, etc...although this particular robin likes Philadelphia. I mean, even Eagles hate Philadelphia ! (obligatory NY trash talk)

But that doesn't mean that cats aren't also a major source of bird loss.

That sounds to me like a cheap plastic crap you buy and toss out as it turns out that there's no such thing. I'm always suspicious of things sold with claims where you can just swap out one word of it. They sell such things against mice, rodents and other vermin as well as cats... never heard anyone who could positively identify it as having actually worked.
    I always wondered how would you know if you just bought nothing but a blinking light...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I always wondered how would you know if you just bought nothing but a blinking light...
    That's essentially my quibble with it. And I suspect most of those things is basically that.

At least the cat brings home proof of it's work.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In many areas, my own included, bands of feral cats are a genuine problem and menace without a good solution. Theyre one of the few species that will actively hunt for their own entertainment, and not just for the sake of food, and therefore they inflict a lot more damage on their prey populations than is necessary for their survival. In areas with large feral cat populations, the birds and small mammal populations are genuinely in danger of being driven off or wiped out just from so many cats killing them all the time.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

*Raises hand*

We've been using the ultrasonic scarers for years to keep cats out of the garden, and they seem to work quite well for that. I actually aimed our first one at a cat sitting on the fence a few gardens down, and it gave me a very dirty look before stalking off.

The ones with the lights do seem to disconcert the local foxes; Their effectiveness for rodents and mice I can't speak for, and I've never seen them advertised for birds in this country, which is just as well as the local birds ignore it, or at least treat it as a good price to have a cat-free area...

You can actually hear them (at least, I still can, my wife can't and they drive my daughter nuts*, but for some reason they don't bother the rabbit). They are right on the upper range of human hearing.

* Apparantly, some places market ultrasonic gadgets for shops to dissuade teenagers from hanging around outside...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-05-04 at 09:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Shooing the bird away is going to be complicated. While I can walk up to the trees on which he's nesting, I donn't really have access to them, because they are not really close to my windows, and they are in some other people's properties. Acoustic dissuasors (as well as my original idea of reproducing the chirping of another robin) will have to contend with the distance and the noise I will be able to produce.

I can't get cats or other animals who could potentially hunt for these birds: I live in an apartment building and animals are forbidden. Unfortunately this is a very hard situation to solve, and I should probably take countermeasures on my sid. Many suggested getting a white noise machine, or some other device to produce a steady background sound to drown out external noises, I might look into this.