Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Huzzah!

Awww.

Hope things work out for everyone involved.

Thanks @Peelee, you're kind

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Woooooo! Go 2D8HP!

Thank you @Anonymouswizard

I suspect the 'dashing' may have helped as well :smallwink,:

In my mind I'm not imagining a musketeer on a motorcycle. Complete with rapier and silly hat.

And now I covet a rapier and hat!

My girlfriends got a self isolation order due to possible contagion, so now I don't get too see them this weekend. Why does this happen after we've finally all had both our jabs?

Deepest condolences AW

@2D8HP, I'm glad that the date went well. Just remember, dating a married person is okay as long as the marriage is in the process of ending or their spouse says it's okay. As it sounds like clause A is in effect don't worry about it at all. I'm glad the date went well and wish you many more.

Thank you.

Also, girlfriend's are too expensive? Divorce or no divorce saying this as an absolute is offensive. But only does the suggestion ignore the fact that you may be sheet the emotional connection more than three beast with two backs, but it ignores the existence of women who don't even let you pay for their tea while on dates.

Oh, that's among the less offensive things my immediate co-workers have told me, despite my being one I'm weary of most of the blue collar men I work with. They're generoue, but hardly polite. The youngest ones seem okay, as do the few remaining older ones, but I find most of the guys I work with who are about seven to fourteen years younger than me profoundly irritating.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    And even that's a false dichotomy. Vaccines don't cause autism, so it's not either or.

Anti-vaxxers are crazy and completely out of touch with reality.
    That goes without saying.

And even if it did... Barring comorbidities, the majority of autistic people are moderate or high functioning. The people who can't talk or go to the bathroom by themselves, the ones everyone thinks about, are a minority.

and even then, people like my cousin who are non-verbal and mentally handicapped are a minority among the minority. Most non-verbal autistic people are fully capable of learning and functioning if you can get past the communication barrier before certain cut-off points in mental development and teach them. I can't find it anymore, but a few years ago I was doing a report on a certain charity tha claims to support Autism but... Is actually really fricking ableist against the autistic and tends to defend itself with "you don't speak for the low functioning" when an autistic person criticizes them.

This article was written by a wheelchair-bound, non-verbal, can't control when she goes to the bathroom autistic woman who had managed to read and type and so was able to learn and communicate, and she spends a most of a three thousand word article just telling that 'charity' to go **** itself.

Considering that 'high functioning autism is basically "a couple of traits that are actually really common among 'normal people' but more so" it's probable that there are actually a lot of autistic people who just... never get diagnosed because their families either think they're typical or don't recognize the behavior as autism.

So even if an injection of dead viruses could somehow alter your DNA to contain the thousands of mutations that collectively cause autism, it would not be anywhere near a big enough deal to make risking a child dying of measles, mumps, whooping cough, pneumonia, polio, COVID, small pox, or anything else we have a vaccine for better.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome. I've also never heard of such a restriction, but it makes sense. Glad that it's no longer impeding your style, now you can wear the futuristic jumpsuits that have never actually caught on.

My girlfriends got a self isolation order due to possible contagion, so now I don't get too see them this weekend. Why does this happen after we've finally all had both our jabs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    That seems... fast? Maybe think about offer a bit and vet them before taking them up on it? You don't want to suddenly wake up in a bathtub full of icecubes, no recollection of the last 24 hours and scar where there used to be one of your kidneys.

Huh, I did not know that was a thing. Well, congrats! Spandex? Spandex!

I mean, you jest, but...
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Timesplitters 2 (GCN) (Mon/Wed) and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2: Justice For All (Fri)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Allow me to complement you on your attire. Those are nice photo's. You look good in them. Spandex indeed.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That goes without saying.

And even if it did... Barring comorbidities, the majority of autistic people are moderate or high functioning. The people who can't talk or go to the bathroom by themselves, the ones everyone thinks about, are a minority.

and even then, people like my cousin who are non-verbal and mentally handicapped are a minority among the minority. Most non-verbal autistic people are fully capable of learning and functioning if you can get past the communication barrier before certain cut-off points in mental development and teach them. I can't find it anymore, but a few years ago I was doing a report on a certain charity tha claims to support Autism but... Is actually really fricking ableist against the autistic and tends to defend itself with "you don't speak for the low functioning" when an autistic person criticizes them.

This article was written by a wheelchair-bound, non-verbal, can't control when she goes to the bathroom autistic woman who had managed to read and type and so was able to learn and communicate, and she spends a most of a three thousand word article just telling that 'charity' to go **** itself.

Considering that 'high functioning autism is basically "a couple of traits that are actually really common among 'normal people' but more so" it's probable that there are actually a lot of autistic people who just... never get diagnosed because their families either think they're typical or don't recognize the behavior as autism.

So even if an injection of dead viruses could somehow alter your DNA to contain the thousands of mutations that collectively cause autism, it would not be anywhere near a big enough deal to make risking a child dying of measles, mumps, whooping cough, pneumonia, polio, COVID, small pox, or anything else we have a vaccine for better.
    Rater, I was diagnosed with Autism/ADHD when I was 3 and I can assure you that vaccinations don't cause Autism. Also, Autism is a learning disorder.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. I got an interesting question, would you date an anti-vaccinated person?
    Hard pass. Dating across realities is way too long-distance for me.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

[...]Considering that 'high functioning autism is basically "a couple of traits that are actually really common among 'normal people' but more so" it's probable that there are actually a lot of autistic people who just... never get diagnosed because their families either think they're typical or don't recognize the behavior as autism[...]

My brother's daughter has been diagnosed as "autistic" and if I wasn't told that I never would have guessed as I don't see anything particularly unusual about her behavior other than the usual way different kids are individuals.

There's a widow friend of mine who's spoken of both her kids being autistic, and again I can't tell that about them (I've guessed that their behavior is more due to youth and their Dad dying young).

I think that I have trouble "seeing" autism, as those so described seem to me to fall into my mental "normal kid" category, and I suspect that the current definition of 'normal' is now stricter than during my childhood in the '70's.

You look fabulous @BisectedBrioche, I hope you didn't have any doubt of that.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm going to the movie theater to see Cruella. I haven't gone to the movie theater for more than a year ago.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

I see one very pretty lady pulling off the skintight look No promises that I wasn't referencing exactly that, I remember your quest from the last time it came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Also, Autism is a learning disorder.
    It isn't.

Autism is also very complex, and the fact that it's complex makes it hard to explain. But it's a very broad condition that affects a range of things, learning just isn't one of them. I can take in and learn information and skills no problem, unless it's social ones because these weird* normal people don't know how to explain them. They also think this eye contact thing is a good idea, why?

It doesn't help that autism tends to come up alongside other ND conditions like Dyspraxia, ADHD, or Dyslexia.

* But on the whole lovely.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I see one very pretty lady pulling off the skintight look No promises that I wasn't referencing exactly that, I remember your quest from the last time it came up.

It isn't.

Autism is also very complex, and the fact that it's complex makes it hard to explain. But it's a very broad condition that affects a range of things, learning just isn't one of them. I can take in and learn information and skills no problem, unless it's social ones because these weird* normal people don't know how to explain them. They also think this eye contact thing is a good idea, why?

It doesn't help that autism tends to come up alongside other ND conditions like Dyspraxia, ADHD, or Dyslexia.

* But on the whole lovely.
    Really? I didn't know that.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I would like to take this time to express appreciation for and jealousy of dedicated cosplayers. I wish I had half the patience and dedication needed to create something like that, or the confidence to show it off.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I would like to take this time to express appreciation for and jealousy of dedicated cosplayers.
    It's possible to substitute those with money, but I wouldn't advise it.

Also, there's a bit of a double-edged sword, at least if you go for high accuracy. I there are a few costumes where I can instantly tell that something is off, and I'm not a big fan of that. It makes me feel judgey.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's possible to substitute those with money, but I wouldn't advise it.

Also, there's a bit of a double-edged sword, at least if you go for high accuracy. I there are a few costumes where I can instantly tell that something is off, and I'm not a big fan of that. It makes me feel judgey.
    I'm the kind of person who goes "the should have thought about how Uther's shoulderpads stay on before they animated them as totally disconnected from his shoulders then." Myself

Also, I'm just a poor boy without the money to avoid facing my fears to do something I enjoy. It's on my post-billionare list.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #464

I'm the kind of person who goes "the should have thought about how Uther's shoulderpads stay on before they animated them as totally disconnected from his shoulders then." Myself
    Don't look too closely at villain troopers in most Star Wars cartoons, I'd recommend.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Seconded.

15. - Top - End - #465

It isn't.
    Eh, you can argue that it is.

Not an academic learning disability, but strictly speaking it's considered a disability and it makes it harder for social learning.

Great story: I get disability benefits because of my diagnosis, which is... Not really something I like but the money helps since it is kind of hard to get a job that pays a decent wage and that I wouldn't be quickly fired from or forced to quit. I'm hoping to eventually do something in an academic setting. I can't do what I wanted to do growing up because I can't meet the qualifications for the degree I need on technicalities, so my options for what I'd be good at are "researcher, teacher, or librarian" but I digress.

Initially, I only got it in the form my parents getting money to help raise me, but at around eighteen I had to do tests(that were incompetently administered, I think the guy doing it thought that "autism" meant "retarded") and then had to talk to a clerk and explain why I qualified as disabled.

This was far from my only argument, but what convinced the guy was me explaining that autism makes it hard to filter yourself, and then asked him how long he thought he'd be employed if he just told his boss to go **** themself one day because he was fed up with office politics.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #466

Welp, discord is giving me issues right now so I can't talk to my normal friend group. That's a bit annoying.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Welp, discord is giving me issues right now so I can't talk to my normal friend group. That's a bit annoying.
    I just had this too. I wonder if discord itself is just down all around?

18. - Top - End - #468

I just had this too. I wonder if discord itself is just down all around?
    Guessing yes, based on how far apart we are. Ones a coincidence, twos a pattern.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guessing yes, based on how far apart we are. Ones a coincidence, twos a pattern.
    It is working for me and my crews, so I imagine it is one of the servers. We are all west coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #470

There's something very comforting about having a full freezer.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Thank Mith, you're very kind, sadly I'm not literally "surrounded" by community at all, my brother (who has been a sounding board), lives in another State, my ex-girlfriend (who vouched me to my potential girtfriend, and her to me) lives in Europe, my brother's ex-girlfriend (who vouched for probable roommate), does live near, but with covid-19 we've only corresponded, not talked face-to-face, my "community" is by correspondence and telephone, the exception is the guys at work,
    Spoiler: Spoiling the rest as it fits "Woes and advice" more
    Show
    who recommend going to brothels because "divorce and girlfriends are too expensive", and they don't seem to understand my objections to that. There is one lady co-worker across the hall I sought out for "a woman's opinion" (but she's an air force veteran and in many ways I'm "girlier" than her, but I had few other options), and I had her read a letter I wrote for my wife - it made her cry and she wasn't sure if I should send it, I felt she "got it" more than the guys, but I didn't want to burden her anymore with my troubles.
    The date went well I think, she brought me to her favorite restaurant on Haight Street, we walked, talked, and window shopped on Haight Street, and then (at me suggestion) we window shopped near the financial district/Union Square. She's still legally married, it's a complicated story - the type of life "drama" one usually steers clear of, but given my own situation, and my need for an understanding woman of my generation and sub-cultural leanings, she fits the bill.
    Most of what we do for each other is talk of our lives, and how we wound up where we are - I need that now, and it has to be a divorcée or pre-divorcee, or it would feel too predatory on my part (and be unlikely to happen at all).
    For what it's worth this isn't the first time I had an affair with a married woman, but the last time I was unmarried myself and less than half my current age, but back then I had a few dates with her before finding out about and meeting her husband, and then we had a few more dates because I was too lonely not to (at 19 and 20 when I was still with my first steady post junior high school girlfriend I was a really nice boy, by 22 after the break-up with "first" I was basically a thug).
    I don't have the excuse of ignorance now, and neither does she, and we both have told each other of our residual love for our spouses, and why we have to leave them.
    It's been both very hard (emotionally), and also all-to-easy (apparently I have a talent for scheduling illicit meetings, I wish my life had gone in such a way that I never discovered that about myself)

In happier news I saw a movie
    ("Cruella") in a theater for the first time in a very long time, and I LOVED it!
    Bought yet another long wool coat, black leather boots, and black leather shoes today, as well as a DVD of a Billy Wilder movie - all of which I brought to the new place.
    True, but the world is much smaller in the Information Age. Community takes on new forms when we go from speaking and letter writing to beaming our thoughts across the aether.

And I cannot help but think a wool coat in California is a bit overheating, no?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    True, but the world is much smaller in the Information Age. Community takes on new forms when we go from speaking and letter writing to beaming our thoughts across the aether.

True

For most places in California most of the time, but the house with the room I'm renting is on the west side of San Francisco in "the avenues" by Stern Grove and the Pacific ocean, so usually inside the fog belt and cool (@Peelee would hate it, sunshine fellow that he is).A roommate tells me that their rarity there means that I'll start to welcome sunny days, in gleeful preparation I now have four leather jackets, three thick wool coats, and three wool sweaters in the closets there, but you're right, it's actually been too warm for them most of this week.

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    California is big - over a thousand miles north to south.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Peelee would hate it, sunshine fellow that he is.
    I'd probably have a love/hate relation ship with it, honestly. If everything works out, I do plan on moving somewhere significantly colder in the near future anyway, and beach access is always nice.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-11 at 09:33 PM.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, you can argue that it is.

Not an academic learning disability, but strictly speaking it's considered a disability and it makes it harder for social learning.

Great story: I get disability benefits because of my diagnosis, which is... Not really something I like but the money helps since it is kind of hard to get a job that pays a decent wage and that I wouldn't be quickly fired from or forced to quit. I'm hoping to eventually do something in an academic setting. I can't do what I wanted to do growing up because I can't meet the qualifications for the degree I need on technicalities, so my options for what I'd be good at are "researcher, teacher, or librarian" but I digress.

Initially, I only got it in the form my parents getting money to help raise me, but at around eighteen I had to do tests(that were incompetently administered, I think the guy doing it thought that "autism" meant "retarded") and then had to talk to a clerk and explain why I qualified as disabled.

This was far from my only argument, but what convinced the guy was me explaining that autism makes it hard to filter yourself, and then asked him how long he thought he'd be employed if he just told his boss to go **** themself one day because he was fed up with office politics.
    Yeah, last job I had was working a bagger at a safeway. Only held it for a month. now I'm not sure what job to go for, its kind of a problem.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah, last job I had was working a bagger at a safeway. Only held it for a month. now I'm not sure what job to go for, its kind of a problem.
    Yeah.

I'm autistic, suffer social anxiety, and I'm an introvert which of course all feed into and compound the issues of each other.

I could have five PHDs from Harvard, three Nobel Prizes in Medicine, Physics, and Chemistry fr my work in curing all forms of cancer, inventing perpetual energy, and proving the existence of traditional "basically magic turn one thing into something else" Alchemy, and be President of Mars and I'm still not gonna be able to get a decent job becuase I can't network for crap and I can't put up with bullcrap.

I'm exaggerating, but right now I'm basically screwed.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #476

Yeah.

I'm autistic, suffer social anxiety, and I'm an introvert which of course all feed into and compound the issues of each other.

I could have five PHDs from Harvard, three Nobel Prizes in Medicine, Physics, and Chemistry fr my work in curing all forms of cancer, inventing perpetual energy, and proving the existence of traditional "basically magic turn one thing into something else" Alchemy, and be President of Mars and I'm still not gonna be able to get a decent job becuase I can't network for crap and I can't put up with bullcrap.

I'm exaggerating, but right now I'm basically screwed.
    Today I learned President of Mars isn't a decent job.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-11 at 10:23 PM.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, there's not a whole lot going on.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I mean, there's not a whole lot going on.
    Pax Martia is something to be celebrated, I do declare!
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

29. - Top - End - #479

Mars in an uninhabitable Hellhole. The Air is poison, the ground is poison, there's no liquid water, and the atmosphere isn't thick enough to keep the sun from microwaving a human to death.

I was exaggerating to make a point, but let's be honest, President of Mars would be a purely ceremonial title and one with not much prestige.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #480

Mars in an uninhabitable Hellhole. The Air is poison, the ground is poison, there's no liquid water, and the atmosphere isn't thick enough to keep the sun from microwaving a human to death.

I was exaggerating to make a point, but let's be honest, President of Mars would be a purely ceremonial title and one with not much prestige.
    Well sure, you technically have the Prime Minister and King of Mars as part of your triumvirate, but the office of President of Mars still holds a considerable amount of power. Plus there's the pay, I hear it's out of this world.

But if prestige is your sole criteria for a decent job, then there's not a whole lot of choice to start with.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.