New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

So if Oil was never discovered in Texas, we'd probably all be driving electric cars today.
    I was going to bring up the early 20th century steam cars, but I see that they used petroleum as a fuel, because it is easier to handle than coal.

---
    Most of the time, wind turbines on vehicles would just be a poor version of regenerative braking. In a few situations you might be able to extract usable energy from prevailing winds. I think there was another thread on a particular case in the Science & Technology subforum.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2021-06-03 at 10:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Most of the time, wind turbines on vehicles would just be a poor version of regenerative breaking. In a few situations you might be able to extract usable energy from prevailing winds. I think there was another thread on a particular case in the Science & Technology subforum.
    In my mind, it's not just the one thing. You'd have regenerative breaks, the small turbines, solar panels on the roof...

Hell, I've even considered a roomy mini-van with pedals in the back seats that are hooked up to reserve batteries that are used to recharge the main battery when the car is at rest.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In my mind, it's not just the one thing. You'd have regenerative breaks, the small turbines, solar panels on the roof...

Hell, I've even considered a roomy mini-van with pedals in the back seats that are hooked up to reserve batteries that are used to recharge the main battery when the car is at rest.
    Regenerative breaks and solar roofing both sound great (and when I had a hybrid, the regenerative breaks were great), but I'm unsure about the turbines. I'm no physicist, but IIRC they work based off air resistance, so I can't imagine that they would generate enough to offset the drag.

Solar roofing to power the AC while the car is parked outside, however, would be AMAZING.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-03 at 10:17 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Regenerative breaks and solar roofing both sound great (and when I had a hybrid, the regenerative breaks were great), but I'm unsure about the turbines. I'm no physicist, but IIRC they work based off air resistance, so I can't imagine that they would generate enough to offset the drag.

Solar roofing to power the AC while the car is parked outside, however, would be AMAZING.
    Yeah, in general you arent going to get enough energy from the turbines to offset the extra energy needed to move them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #275

Yeah, that's the biggest issue and there's probably a reason why not much research has gone into it but it's something I think about.

Interior pedals would be a thing meant for long trips. Cut down the need to recharge and give the kids in the back seat an outlet for their pent-up energy.

Not the most efficient way of charging a car, but it's not meant to charge it the whole way and it serves two purposes.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Not the most efficient way of charging a car, but it's not meant to charge it the whole way and it serves two purposes.
    Three. It's also good for exercise.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

You know what's not great? When it starts raining 100m in your 8km jogging.

Well, it kept us cool I guess.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You know what's not great? When it starts raining 100m in your 8km jogging.

Well, it kept us cool I guess.
    Jeez, I'm still training with a measly 5k program!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Let's see, 8km is 1.3 parasangs, or 5 miles. I can jog at about 10 minutes per mile, so that's about 50 minutes for me. Something I can pull off about once a week, before my knees start complaining that I'm middle-aged.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Jeez, I'm still training with a measly 5k program!
    Well it's more 7.7km to be honest.

Also I've been jogging twice a week since last summer so, it's not surprising I'm ahead of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Let's see, 8km is 1.3 parasangs, or 5 miles. I can jog at about 10 minutes per mile, so that's about 50 minutes for me. Something I can pull off about once a week, before my knees start complaining that I'm middle-aged.
    Down to 40-42min.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

And here I am unable to ruin for three minutes, rest, and eyn for three more.

Managed to get my eye test rearranged for Saturday. It means a forty minute trek into town, but maybe once my new glasses arrive I'll be able to read, and actually catch all these misspellings in my posts.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

So next monday I have:

From 9 to 12: written test to maybe enroll in editing school.

At 15: first Covid vaccine shot.

Sometime during the end of the afternoon: hopefully a phone call with a prospective employer who is interested in hiring me part-time as part of the cursus of another editing school.

Gonna be a busy Monday by the look of it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-03 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And here I am unable to ruin for three minutes, rest, and eyn for three more.

Managed to get my eye test rearranged for Saturday. It means a forty minute trek into town, but maybe once my new glasses arrive I'll be able to read, and actually catch all these misspellings in my posts.
    So they will ruin your posts no more?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    So they will ruin your posts no more?
    Depends how funny I find them.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #285

And here I am unable to run for three minutes, rest, and run for three more.
    Gotta ease into it! My 5k program had me walk 3 minutes, run 1,x6 the first week. Second week was walk 2 minutes, run 1,x6. Getting a lot faster at recovery, breath control, and stamina. It's a slow build up.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Gotta ease into it! My 5k program had me walk 3 minutes, run 1,x6 the first week. Second week was walk 2 minutes, run 1,x6. Getting a lot faster at recovery, breath control, and stamina. It's a slow build up.
    Which program did you do? I want to get back into running this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Which program did you do? I want to get back into running this summer.
    Runkeeper. I had free money on Google play I used to get the premium version for two months, since that's all I need it for.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Bit of trivia: Roads and streets were originally created for foot traffic.
    Nope.

There have been chariots, wagons and carriages since before Ancient Roman times.

A popular legend that has been around since at least 1937[7] traces the origin of the 1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) gauge even further back than the coalfields of northern England, pointing to the evidence of rutted roads marked by chariot wheels dating from the Roman Empire.[a][8] Snopes categorised this legend as "false", but commented that "it is perhaps more fairly labelled as 'True, but for trivial and unremarkable reasons'".[9] The historical tendency to place the wheels of horse-drawn vehicles approximately 5 ft (1,524 mm) apart probably derives from the width needed to fit a carthorse in between the shafts.[9] Research however has been undertaken which supports the hypothesis that "the origin of the standard gauge of the railway might result from an interval of wheel ruts of prehistoric ancient carriages".[10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-gauge_railway
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-06-03 at 08:15 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #289

An observation I made the other day: Pro wrestling is a lot less fun to watch when you know how they pull off the tricks. Once you know how "selling" works it becomes really easy to notice it and it's a bit distracting.
    Unrelated: You ever have one of those days where you just put the rest of reality on pause and take a nap?

There are no specific recent incidents but there have been times in the past where something would be coming up and I'd just want to stop and take a break but if I did I'd run out of time.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #290

An observation I made the other day: Pro wrestling is a lot less fun to watch when you know how they pull off the tricks. Once you know how "selling" works it becomes really easy to notice it and it's a bit distracting.
    Very slightly tangentially related, but my favorite magic videos are Penn and Teller when they show how they do some tricks. Because I, for one, am much more impressed with the skill required to pull off some of the things they do. The illusion and not knowing how the crap it's done are incredibly fun, but seeing how it's done is incredible. Even for simple tricks, the cleverness is outstanding. I wish they made more.

21. - Top - End - #291

BlackDragon

Well, got to go to the hospital to have the second attempt at the biopsy in about four hours' time, very much not looking forward to that. Will be glad when it's over.

[EDIT] Boy, I *so* underestimated just how horrible that experience was. Being inside a CT scanner for an hour and half while a needle is gradually pushed further and further into your abdomen is not my idea of fun at the best of times, but when the local anaesthetic they were using didn't work half the time and I really felt that needle pushing in, and the doctor had the temerity to ask "Did that hurt?" when I yelled in pain, it put the crap cherry on top of the sewage cake. They had better get some good results this time!
    Last edited by factotum; 2021-06-04 at 01:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292

I have acquired my second anti-plague poke.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, got to go to the hospital to have the second attempt at the biopsy in about four hours' time, very much not looking forward to that. Will be glad when it's over.

[EDIT] Boy, I *so* underestimated just how horrible that experience was. Being inside a CT scanner for an hour and half while a needle is gradually pushed further and further into your abdomen is not my idea of fun at the best of times, but when the local anaesthetic they were using didn't work half the time and I really felt that needle pushing in, and the doctor had the temerity to ask "Did that hurt?" when I yelled in pain, it put the crap cherry on top of the sewage cake. They had better get some good results this time!
    Oh god I am so sorry to hear that. Biopsies are the worst, and that sounds like a really awful place for one. I hope it turns out well!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

"UwU-key" is a really stupid spelling of "Wookiee" that I just thought of.

Regarding the real spelling, I'd like to remind everyone that it's always capitalized when referring to the primary culture of the species, but not when referring to the species itself.

I don't know why I brought this up.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-06-04 at 03:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

I just got a threatening letter from the TV licence people, asking why I haven't bought a licence yet despite their multiple previous attempts to contact me (of which I have received none z because I suspect they're from before I moved in).

Just in case they do spend an inspector around as they threaten I've made sure that my tenancy agreement (to prove when my occupation of the flat started) and the TV LICENCE I BOUGHT BACK ON MONDAY are in a safe but easily accessible place.

I hate how bureaucracy delays sending these letters out, might have been a useful reminder last week.

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just got a threatening letter from the TV licence people, asking why I haven't bought a licence yet despite their multiple previous attempts to contact me (of which I have received none z because I suspect they're from before I moved in).

Just in case they do spend an inspector around as they threaten I've made sure that my tenancy agreement (to prove when my occupation of the flat started) and the TV LICENCE I BOUGHT BACK ON MONDAY are in a safe but easily accessible place.

I hate how bureaucracy delays sending these letters out, might have been a useful reminder last week.
    ...The what?

Why would you need a license for a tv?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

Maybe ask for general anaesthesia, next time?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Maybe ask for general anaesthesia, next time?
    I would really hope there wouldn't be a next time in this case.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

I would really hope there wouldn't be a next time in this case.
    Me too, but there always might.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

...The what?

Why would you need a license for a tv?
    The TV licence people.

Because you need a licence for a TV. How did you think Doctor Who was funded, adverts?

Show