New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Who hear has seen and remembers this video?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ...which seems like it would help solve the invasive Ness problem...
    The Invasive Ness Problem is crazy here in Canada. We're just inundated with them. Eliot. Loch. Un Dorma.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    The Invasive Ness Problem is crazy here in Canada. We're just inundated with them. Eliot. Loch. Un Dorma.
    Ness from Earthbound/Mother as well?

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'll keep my eye out. And don't promise not to burn a few characters to be prepared(I always wanted to try the Dark Elf and Great Wolf life paths anyway).
    Dark Elf... huhh... well, I had this idea to run this underground-focused game of dwarven and dark elven politics...

Also the Codex is great, it's got good advice on adventures, several alternate ways to run Sorcery, and the new lifepaths are great. As I said I really want to use some of them.
    Yeah, looking forward to getting my paws on it. However, it's still stuck somewhere between U.S. and Europe. No way to find out where exactly.

Also, my first game would be quite limited in scope - I'll stick to the basics and then start adding stuff as I get some experience.

It's a relatively long, complicated process. It's entirely, but must people I've played with have issues with D&D character creation. It's a lot of choices to make, and each stock has a lot of lifepaths. Then there's the massive Skill and Trait lists and the fact that some skills players might assume everybody gets can easily be missed.
    I have successfully used Charred as basis. Burned just one character using book & paper approach - it's time consuming, but I had lots of fun.

Oh, and just try to explain to the average player why they have to pay points to be missing an arm.
    No worries, got lots of experience explaining why lower skill rating is better to Riddle of Steel newbies. But yeah, this is a special game: missing arm is actually an asset.

But burning characters can very, very easily take upwards of an hour, especially if you don't have a concept ready. I find it very fun, but everybody does.

..darn it, I'm pulling out my Burning Wheel books.
    Don't hold your breath, but yeah: feel free to work on some dorfs or dark elves. To be honest, I plan to run mostly social game this time, with some dangerous fights. However, I consider the Duel of Wits as the best part of the whole package.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I fail to see how Elliot would be a problem. That one is more like a feature.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's warm, I'm tired, it's kind of noisy, I'm cranky and tomorrow and the day after tomorrow are going to be really warm. I dislike summer. If I'm lucky it'll be warm enough that exhaustion will enable me to sleep. If I'm not so lucky I'll live, but be ever so slightly irritated all the time for a little while.

Curse thee sun, eternal nemesis mine, scorching me in thine baleful rays with thine hateful gaze, burning all to sate thine vicious hunger and boundless cruelty.

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    It's warm, I'm tired, it's kind of noisy, I'm cranky and tomorrow and the day after tomorrow are going to be really warm. I dislike summer. If I'm lucky it'll be warm enough that exhaustion will enable me to sleep. If I'm not so lucky I'll live, but be ever so slightly irritated all the time for a little while.

Curse thee sun, eternal nemesis mine, scorching me in thine baleful rays with thine hateful gaze, burning all to sate thine vicious hunger and boundless cruelty.
    How warm we talkin' here? And humidity? Ive always wanted to visit the Netherlands. Or, at least, as soon as it became just super easy for me to live and work there. Same goes for a lot of mainland Europe and an island or so.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Dark Elf... huhh... well, I had this idea to run this underground-focused game of dwarven and dark elven politics...
    Bare in mind that Dark Elvishness is philosophical rather than cultural. A dark elf has started to succumb to Grief, but has decided to instead give into Spite and lash out at the world for not being eternal.

There's no such thing as a dark elven nation under the Codex's assumptions.

Yeah, looking forward to getting my paws on it. However, it's still stuck somewhere between U.S. and Europe. No way to find out where exactly.

Also, my first game would be quite limited in scope - I'll stick to the basics and then start adding stuff as I get some experience.
    Yeah, I haven't ordered any of the other games they do because they weren't in my FLGS and didn't want to wait for the overseas shipping.

And isn't that the same for every game? I get shocked when I see new GMs start their first Dungeons & Dragons campaign and rule that anything goes.

Not that I'm not guilty of wanting to play the more annoying PC options (glances at 13th Age's Occultist).

I have successfully used Charred as basis. Burned just one character using book & paper approach - it's time consuming, but I had lots of fun.
    Oh, it's fun. But it's not everybody's cup of tea.

No worries, got lots of experience explaining why lower skill rating is better to Riddle of Steel newbies. But yeah, this is a special game: missing arm is actually an asset.
    To be fair, it's all logical in Burning Wheel. Bad traits get you more metagame currency, and therefore they're a useful thing to have

Don't hold your breath, but yeah: feel free to work on some dorfs or dark elves. To be honest, I plan to run mostly social game this time, with some dangerous fights. However, I consider the Duel of Wits as the best part of the whole package.
    *let's out breath*

Yeah, Duel of Wits is inspired.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #579

How warm we talkin' here? And humidity? Ive always wanted to visit the Netherlands. Or, at least, as soon as it became just super easy for me to live and work there. Same goes for a lot of mainland Europe and an island or so.
    Let's see, 28 and 27 degrees celcius tomorrow and the day after tomorrow respectively. It'll be a bit warmer indoors. Maybe that's not so bad for most people, but I don't like it. It doesn't get very humid here, so there's that at least. It gets worse farther inland without the sea nearby to act as a temperature buffer.

I wish I could think of some places I could recommend to tourists, but I'm coming up empty (other than the standard stuff like Keukenhof and Madurodam that is, but you won't need my help to find that stuff!). Well, a university's hortus botanicus is probably worth a look, but I imagine you have those around where you're at too.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Bare in mind that Dark Elvishness is philosophical rather than cultural. A dark elf has started to succumb to Grief, but has decided to instead give into Spite and lash out at the world for not being eternal.

There's no such thing as a dark elven nation under the Codex's assumptions.
    Heh. My last worldbuilding attempt had Dark Elves retreat underground to shed the monarchy, corruption and overall elven attitude. They were the only democracy in the whole world - and they even worked together with the dwarves*. Guess I got overexcited a bit.

* - they promised an alliance for next 10,000 years if they were provided with land (read: caves) and left alone. The dwarves completely forgot about the frail dandelion eaters underground, but after the 10K years, the dark elf emissary just appeared and informed the dwarves that their part of the alliance has been fulfilled (they were never called upon by the dwarves for assistance) and that they were keeping their side of underground.

Yeah, I haven't ordered any of the other games they do because they weren't in my FLGS and didn't want to wait for the overseas shipping.
    Physically, I own only Burning Wheel and Draci Doupe 2nd edition (Dragon's Dungeon; a Czech take on D&D). My whole collection is in PDFs, bought all around the 'net.

I also had few of them printed and bound, but I don't usually order as the prices get extremely steep when you include shipping to my wonderfully backwards country.

And isn't that the same for every game? I get shocked when I see new GMs start their first Dungeons & Dragons campaign and rule that anything goes.

Not that I'm not guilty of wanting to play the more annoying PC options (glances at 13th Age's Occultist).
    Well, I tend to get drawn in and excited over the characters so I usually allow some options that you'd call annoying (or I would... if I had the heart). But, to be honest, for first games I usually prefer mainly melee combatants and simple builds. Experience taught me it's best to start easy.

Oh, it's fun. But it's not everybody's cup of tea.
    Well, for me it's the second best thing I've ever seen character generation-wise. First was Traveller's lifepath generation - I just love that.

To be fair, it's all logical in Burning Wheel. Bad traits get you more metagame currency, and therefore they're a useful thing to have

*let's out breath*

Yeah, Duel of Wits is inspired.
    I was only afraid that it would be clunky or too narrow for my tastes, but the players enjoyed it and I was having a lot of fun. Especially when I put them through my own take on the Sword scenario (you know, the one where game starts with PCs around the fabled Sword of Swording and they have to deal with the issue that there is four of them, each with a good claim, and only one sword). It was fun. And not even clunky.

Well said. Well said.

I only have two colours: white and red. Summer's kinda...annoying. Especially when there's no 2 months of summer holidays anymore.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love when people debating on which character will win in a fight. It could be a fictional and/or non-fictional character.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

12. - Top - End - #582
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I fail to see how Elliot would be a problem. That one is more like a feature.
    By 'invasive' I just mean that he has no natural predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Ness from Earthbound/Mother as well?
    THAT's the other one I was trying to think of. Thank you! It's been bothering me all day.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-06-15 at 08:00 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

THAT's the other one I was trying to think of. Thank you! It's been bothering me all day.
    You're welcome.

I accept payment in the form of french toast or cinnamon roll-esque desserts.

14. - Top - End - #584

You're welcome.

I accept payment in the form of french toast or cinnamon roll-esque desserts.
    I have made you french toast. You have a few minutes to get it before I eat it all, though.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

I have made you french toast. You have a few minutes to get it before I eat it all, though.
    I ended up eating taco bell and got their cinnabites, but the thought is appreciated.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sigh. Just had to have a big "we dont want you in the D&D group anymore" talk. No fun was had. Social anxiety sucks.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Oh that's some good wordsmithing @Form!

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    I only have two colours: white and red. Summer's kinda...annoying. Especially when there's no 2 months of summer holidays anymore.
    Ouch. Burning easily sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Sigh. Just had to have a big "we dont want you in the D&D group anymore" talk. No fun was had. Social anxiety sucks.
    Social anxiety makes it more difficult, but for what it's worth: even people without social anxiety would find that kind of conversion difficult. Kudos to you for doing what needed to be done, even though it's hard. That's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Oh that's some good wordsmithing @Form!
    I shall retire to the desert and devote myself to writing hate poetry about the sun. Maybe I should have replaced 'to state' with 'for' and slipped another 'thine' before 'boundless cruelty' so it's still 2 (3, 3), 2 (10, 10) and that sentence more closely matches the preceding one.

Plague on man, evil o'er earth, thirst thine command, drought thine will, suffering thou inflicts, death thou dealeth.*

*Yes, I know it's wrong and it's just ye olde butcherede Englishe.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Ouch. Burning easily sucks.
    The other day, I had a sunburn on the top of my head for the first time in my life.

Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-16 at 05:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm off of work this Friday because of Juneteenth which I didn't know was a holiday.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm off of work this Friday because of Juneteenth which I didn't know was a holiday.
    It just became one this month.

Long past time for it too.

EDIT: My bad. Has only partially passed. There's almost no reason it shouldn't become one at this point though.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-06-16 at 02:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It just became one this month.

Long past time for it too.

EDIT: My bad. Has only partially passed. There's almost no reason it shouldn't become one at this point though.
    What is "Juneteenth"?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What is "Juneteenth"?
    I'm wondering that as well.

But we could do with more holidays over here. I think we could start with the Bard's birthday (modified but country for the local Bard, of course), and adding days for as little reason as we can.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #594

What is "Juneteenth"?
    A likely-soon-to-be federal holiday* in the US. I'd recommended Wikipedia for more info.

*Bank holiday, the Brits call it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-16 at 02:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

A likely-soon-to-be federal holiday* in the US. I'd recommended Wikipedia for more info.
    A bad name for a good idea.

Bank holiday
    What a terrifying concept. And I didn't get this joke.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-16 at 02:49 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #596

And I didn't get this joke.
    While uncommon for me, not actually a joke.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Colossus in the Playground

Sandwhich experiment: Peporroni and provolone melt, white bread, with dijon mustard in five layers: cheese, pepperoni, cheese, pepperoni, cheese, fried in olive oil.

Good toasting, satisfying texture, flavors complementary, but bread was already toasted dark before the middle layers ceased to be cold. Might be better cooked in a press of some sort.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #598

Rater, every time you put up a food experiment, it sounds delightful!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, at least it's better than Rater's comic book theory.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Colossus in the Playground

I watch a lot of cooking programs and I've taken classes in food science.

I like to think I have a vague idea of what I'm doing.

Really want to make Kitsune Udon at some point but it's hard to find Dashi that isn't part of prepackaged ramen...

Also want to try making Neo-Kabe Pizza, which is a slice of pepperoni pizza floating in a bowl of miso soup.

And then there's a chili recipe I want to make but my family doesn't want to because they've fallen for the bean lobby's propaganda.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks