New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Wishing Well

Edit: Changing thread title in honor of an unexpected and very welcome development, adding explanation, and striking through original text since it's no longer a problem.

Got a mundane issue that doesn't require therapy or divine intervention, you just really wish it would go away? Toss it in the well, you never know what might happen. (^_~)

Starting it with my own story, but I'd be happy if other people just need a place to vent (with the possibility of "Well have you considered this?") about minor issues and this can provide it.

Commiseration, or reality check?:

My apartment gets uncomfortably warm without air circulating. The people next door smoke in their back yard, about 10-15 feet from my main window. The topography makes it blow straight at my windows, so I have to get up 10-20 times a day on average to close the main window* and turn off both fans (one in each window), or reopen the window and turn the fans back on.
    * - It's a pain to close the bathroom window, but it's usually enough if both fans are off and the main window's closed.

Is this just one of those things that happens, and there's no way around it being an annoyance until I find somewhere else?

Update: So, this is what I got home to see:
    Spoiler: an empty back yard and house
    Show

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but it's almost the end of the month and I can't think of any other reason they would have disposed of their furniture and large barbecue grill. I wish them and their new neighbors the best... hopefully they've found a nice place where they can smoke to their heart's content without "sharing" it.

I just wish I'd posted "I really wish I had a bajillion gold pieces!". (^_~) Seriously, this was an extremely-unexpected-but-not-in-the-least-unwelcome surprise.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-05-29 at 11:43 PM. Reason: apparently OotS threads have magical properties
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Commiseration, or Reality check?

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Starting it with my own story, but I'd be happy if other people just need a place to vent (with the possibility of "Well have you considered this?") and this can provide it.

Commiseration, or reality check?:

My apartment gets uncomfortably warm without air circulating. The people next door smoke in their back yard, about 10-15 feet from my main window. The topography makes it blow straight at my windows, so I have to get up 10-20 times a day on average to close the main window* and turn off both fans (one in each window), or reopen the window and turn the fans back on.
    * - It's a pain to close the bathroom window, but it's usually enough if both fans are off and the main window's closed.

Is this just one of those things that happens, and there's no way around it being an annoyance until I find somewhere else?
    Do you have window fans that can both suck and blow? So you could have the fan near the smoking area act as exhaust while the other window sucks? It sounds like you need to find a new apartment though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    It sounds like you need to find a new apartment though.
    "Every time I had an apartment problem and I'd find a new apartment. Boom, right away, I had a different problem."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This may be radical thinking here, but have you spoken to your neighbors and asked them to, like, smoke in the front yard or something?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    This may be radical thinking here, but have you spoken to your neighbors and asked them to, like, smoke in the front yard or something?
    Yeah, I was gonna say.

Like, I don't know very many considerate smokers, but I know they exist.

If the neighbors seem like reasonable people, then calmly explaining the issue and trying to work something out should be an option. Unless your neighbors are dangerously unstable, the worst they can do is say "no."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-29 at 05:01 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Do you have window fans that can both suck and blow? So you could have the fan near the smoking area act as exhaust while the other window sucks? It sounds like you need to find a new apartment though.
    Thank you, that was one of the options I tried and have left in place (you can't beat that combo for circulating air). Unfortunately, the bathroom window is close enough that smoke gets in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say.

Like, I don't know very many considerate smokers, but I know they exist.

If the neighbors seem like reasonable people, then calmly explaining the issue and trying to work something out should be an option. Unless your neighbors are dangerously unstable, the worst they can do is say "no."
    That was one of my first thoughts, but they have a high fence with a locked gate and no doorbell.

I could try yelling at them from the window, but I gave up on the notion (perhaps prematurely) when I realized they would glance up most of the time when I closed the window -- i.e. they already knew. They've continued not only staying in the back yard, they sit as close as they can to our building. (There's room for them to move about 20 feet farther, if they chose.)

To me the high fence out front makes it a bit more puzzling -- I could completely understand wanting privacy from the street, but that's not an element.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."