New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fenris vs Tiamat

So, Fenris made the goblinoids, and I presume Tiamat made the Kobolds because they worship her and that seems to be how it works.

Both are lvl 1 encounters for adventurers, and we know at least 1 adventurer that just loves to hunt them down. So, what did Tiamat get right that Fenris got wrong? Dragon protection?

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Fenris vs Tiamat

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    So, Fenris made the goblinoids, and I presume Tiamat made the Kobolds because they worship her and that seems to be how it works.

Both are lvl 1 encounters for adventurers, and we know at least 1 adventurer that just loves to hunt them down. So, what did Tiamat get right that Fenris got wrong? Dragon protection?
    Tiamat probably didn't go all-in on a 'breed fast die young' mechanic.

Also according to Rich the goblinoids never worshipped anyone before the Dark One so most likely Tiamat also ensured that kobolds got clerics and some measure of representation in divine matters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The integration of kobolds on the Western Continent may be a factor - kobolds, lizardfolk, and humans form an integrated society where kobolds are not seen as monsters but as people.

Whereas on the Northern continent, Kobolds look to me to be in a similar same position as goblins, because no direct Tiamat involvement there.

That's why, in Origin of PCs, they're basically the Order's first combat encounter, with the Order, on seeing them, immediately preparing the attack - preempted by the kobolds attacking first.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiamat had an active role in their existence, while Fenris apparently abandoned the Goblins within a few centuries (or possibly even before the world was finished).
    This in turn meant the Goblins had fewer Clerics - thus, fewer in-house sets of goblin adventurers given how vital Clerics can be - and harder integration into other civilizations. Even if the gods a given group worships varies over time - maybe the Halflings that worship Loki were once part of a group of Skadi worshippers - the lack of exposure to any pantheon means that role in an adventuring party is harder to fill.

Even if it might end up being the thing that saves all the gods
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-05-30 at 02:15 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

One assumes Freddy never answered the goblins’ prayers leading to never having clerics and so forth.
    Which is strange as he does have clerics from at least one race
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    One assumes Freddy never answered the goblins’ prayers leading to never having clerics and so forth.
    Which is strange as he does have clerics from at least one race
    He abandoned the goblins specifically; clearly he thought the half-troll or whatever his high priest is was sufficiently badass to qualify as a Cleric.

(I'd say he seems petty enough to refuse to interact with the goblins because they "didn't do their job", though that wouldn't be their fault and there's no actual evidence to imply he would do that.)
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    He abandoned the goblins specifically; clearly he thought the half-troll or whatever his high priest is was sufficiently badass to qualify as a Cleric.

(I'd say he seems petty enough to refuse to interact with the goblins because they "didn't do their job", though that wouldn't be their fault and there's no actual evidence to imply he would do that.)
    I'd say it's more likely he refuses to interact with the goblins because he refuses to admit he made a mistake with regards to the whole 'short lifespan, high reproductive rate' bit behind the goblin design. That's exactly the kind of petty negligence one would expect from a CE deity.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Also pretty sure that Kobolds have quite long lives, that likely would have helped too.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, Thor said Fenris always does that kind of monsters and always get bored when that doesn't work. So we know two things: that tactic is wrong, and Fenris is stubborn (and probably an imbecile).
    Tiamat on the other hand looks pretty clever, and we know she care a lot about kobolds (from Malack).
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2021-05-30 at 05:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

SolithKnightGuy

Kobolds are inherently less powerful then her main focus (chromatic dragons) so they are more intense in their faith and produce actual clerics which chromatics rarely do.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    Both are lvl 1 encounters for adventurers, and we know at least 1 adventurer that just loves to hunt them down.
    So are skeletons. So are bandits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Also according to Rich the goblinoids never worshipped anyone before the Dark One so most likely Tiamat also ensured that kobolds got clerics and some measure of representation in divine matters.
    Yeah, her most chaotic majesty is certainly going to demand worship from her created minions ... and for that matter, why aren't you worshipping her??!!
    [Tiamat voice]
    "How dare you ignore me??!!"

*Tiamat readies one of her five breath weapons*
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-05-31 at 10:49 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12

Wait, is the breed fast die young mechanic that horrible to Goblin-kind?
    Sure, lots of kids means lots of resources, which implies the need to expand, but that doesn't preclude them from finding ways to peacefully expand or integrate with the other ( I guess to use a term or phrase here) "better engineered" species.

Kobolds integrate when they need to and have Halfling-thwarting Kobold villages when they have to. They also don't seem to be "rare" by any means. More clerics, and on friendly terms with Chromatic Dragons seem like big plusses, but that still makes them a Monster Species that is a Lvl 1 encounter. For some adventurers that is a moving chunk of XP....

Maybe Kobolds are actually more likely to be like KillKill and acutally tend to have non-monster NPC classes?

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

I'm not sure the kobolds are in a better position at all. Why would they be? Why would they need to be?

The few kobolds we've seen mostly fit into the "easy XP fodder" category as well, as far as they were treated by (humanoid) PCs.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I'm not sure the kobolds are in a better position at all. Why would they be? Why would they need to be?

The few kobolds we've seen mostly fit into the "easy XP fodder" category as well, as far as they were treated by (humanoid) PCs.
    The wiki list 5 notable kobolds:
    + The Oracle
    + Kikil, the chancellor of the empire of Blood
    + Yikyik, Yokyok and Yukyuk, three successive members of the Linear Guild, so arguably PCs. The first two were killed by their nemesis (Belkar), the last one was killed by collateral damage.
    => Out of the "monster races", kobolds are probably those shown to be the most integrated in human societies.

(Additionally, Malack explicitly says that Tiamat prefers Kobolds to Lizardfolks. If this is correct, they do have some advantage compared to Goblinoids which are neglected by Fenrir)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Tiamat went out of her way to give one of them the gift of prophecy, so I assume they are in her favor at least somewhat.

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    The wiki list 5 notable kobolds:
    + The Oracle
    + Kikil, the chancellor of the empire of Blood
    + Yikyik, Yokyok and Yukyuk, three successive members of the Linear Guild, so arguably PCs. The first two were killed by their nemesis (Belkar), the last one was killed by collateral damage.
    => Out of the "monster races", kobolds are probably those shown to be the most integrated in human societies.

(Additionally, Malack explicitly says that Tiamat prefers Kobolds to Lizardfolks. If this is correct, they do have some advantage compared to Goblinoids which are neglected by Fenrir)
    Oh yes, I was thinking especially of Yokyok who pretty much gets swarmed by adventurers just because he's a kobold.

I guess their lot might be slightly better than that of Goblinoids.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Empire of Blood seems weirdly more egalitarian as far as monster races goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    The Empire of Blood seems weirdly more egalitarian as far as monster races goes.
    I think that’s the whole Western Continent (maybe minus the elven realm), not the Empire of Blood specifically.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #19

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Oh yes, I was thinking especially of Yokyok who pretty much gets swarmed by adventurers just because he's a kobold.

I guess their lot might be slightly better than that of Goblinoids.
    Yokyok gets swarmed by adventurers because Belkar put a bounty on him. It would have worked regardless of race, I think.

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardfolk

Just had a thought that for a Dragon Goddess to get much devotion and souls, she'd need a kobold race. Dragons are few and immortal, they're kobe beef while kobolds are the carrots and peas. Tiamat observed Fenris' get-rich-quick scheme and perfected it by not forgetting the kobolds. So while Fenris lives off Minotaur steak, Tiamat has a better diet of souls.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just had a thought that for a Dragon Goddess to get much devotion and souls, she'd need a kobold race. Dragons are few and immortal, they're kobe beef while kobolds are the carrots and peas. Tiamat observed Fenris' get-rich-quick scheme and perfected it by not forgetting the kobolds. So while Fenris lives off Minotaur steak, Tiamat has a better diet of souls.
    Also if dragons are anything like their "canon" counterparts when it comes to religion... she probably doesn't actually get a whole lot of high-quality stuff besides their souls. Most chromatic dragons at least low-key worship her but devout worship isn't particularly common.

Of course we have absolutely no knowledge about how it works in OotSverse besides the barebones, and it's not like Rich's a stranger to shying away from deviating from the tendencies of "monstrous" races.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    Yokyok gets swarmed by adventurers because Belkar put a bounty on him. It would have worked regardless of race, I think.
    What Belkar did was put up a bounty poster that said "Kobold Menace Threatens Local Halfling, 20 gp per kobold head". While it was meant to kill Yokyok, who wasn't even evil in the first place, it also was just an excuse to kill other kobolds if an adventurer took up the offer on the poster. That 100% would not work if his enemy had been a human, elf, lizardfolk, etc.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    What Belkar did was put up a bounty poster that said "Kobold Menace Threatens Local Halfling, 20 gp per kobold head". While it was meant to kill Yokyok, who wasn't even evil in the first place, it also was just an excuse to kill other kobolds if an adventurer took up the offer on the poster. That 100% would not work if his enemy had been a human, elf, lizardfolk, etc.
    I mean, I don’t think Belkar specifically did that to be racist. I think that and killing the goblins who surrendered was about being able to get away with it.

Also I think his enemy being a lizardfolk would have worked, because aside from the Empire of Blood they don’t have much representation.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #24

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    That gag was about the trope of adventurers meeting up in taverns and going on the first adventure they get offered, even if extremely vague and barebones. I seriously doubt that if Yokyok was an elf or half-orc or human it wouldn't have worked the same.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    That gag was about the trope of adventurers meeting up in taverns and going on the first adventure they get offered, even if extremely vague and barebones. I seriously doubt that if Yokyok was an elf or half-orc or human it wouldn't have worked the same.
    I don't think it would have worked the same way if Yokyok had been human, because adventurers don't typically go on adventures like "Human Menace Threatens Local Halfling, 20gp per human head." Belkar would have had to come up with a different hook, like sketching a picture of Yokyok and claiming he was an assassin or necromancer or something.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.