New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XI: Better LA'd Than Never

Eh... actually going to vote MM6. We need a break from reviewing weird undead, and no DMGII wasn't enough for that.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miniature's Handbook I'm voting for if it's leaning towards a variety of low HD stuff.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Miniatures Handbook is it for me, too.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

4. - Top - End - #574
    Bugbear in the Playground

Put me down for MM6, lot of interesting critters there and enough variation that it shouldn't get stale.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

MM6 is starting to pull away, and I kind of want to do that anyway. Also, a good chunk of these don't have their own pictures, so the floodgates are basically open for whatever jokes we can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Eh... actually going to vote MM6. We need a break from reviewing weird undead, and no DMGII wasn't enough for that.
    Unfortunately, MM6 starts with exactly that. But then it's a good (or possibly bad) thirteen entries until the next one.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Acheri

Another undead, but just a variant Ghost. Simple enough that I'm not even bothering with the table.

The spirits of girls who died to murder, accident, or plague. I imagine that would be the vast majority of deaths for NPCs that don't make it to old age. They don't get any of the standard Ghost Abilities aside from Manifestation and a variant Corrupting Touch. Their touch deals 1d4 damage and infects the victim with a disease with no incubation period. DCs are Charisma-based.

Each Archerai has a different disease, chosen from Blinding Sickness, Cackle Fever, Filth Fever, Mindfire, Red Ache, Shakes, or Slimy Doom.

The standard Ghost got +3/+4, depending mainly on Frostburn. Diseases are usually negligible, but instant incubation basically means it's some non-stacking ability damage attached to their natural weapon. And of course Blinding Sickness has a 3/4 chance of causing another save vs permanent blindness.

WotC LA: -
    Our LA: +3
    Last edited by Debatra; 2021-10-05 at 12:51 PM.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Does anybody have a link to the MM6?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Archeri
    Founds here: https://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/mahasarpa.zip. Link in Thurbane's compilation post is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Does anybody have a link to the MM6?
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?567712

Thurbane, I looked in your MM6 list and there are broken several more links. All these links have no archive in beginning and lead to zip downloads.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-09-27 at 02:15 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The girl on this picture seems to be a pleasure to live with.

It is much weaker than a ghost, with no Malevolence and Horrific Appearance, but I don't think the defenses and incorporeality plus the disease is worth only +2. I vote a weak LA +3 for the Acheri.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

I'm happy to give this critter same as standard Ghost, LA +3/+4.

I wonder what the mythological origins of Acheri are? I remember an episode of Supernatural where the Acheri got very briefly mentioned. Brief search shows it's from Indian mythology. Interesting. I wonder if Achaierai came from the same route word, but the devs just decided to make it a completely different monster?

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Thurbane, I looked in your MM6 list and there are broken several more links. All these links have no archive in beginning and lead to zip downloads.
    Yeah, a lot of the links have gone down since I first posted it.

The zips are (or should be) to the web enhancements or adventures where the monsters can be found.

For the ones that are completely broken, we may have to use Wayback Machine, or other sources.

The free adventures, in particular, can be difficult to track down, and I didn't want to link to any questionable sites on my list. I have them all downloaded from back in the day, luckily.

11. - Top - End - #581

I will go +3. It's weaker than a standard ghost, but depending on how the disease touch is it might be quite good. Instant disease that saves based on stats is good, kind of a super poison, but can it reapply and reforce saves each round? If no I think this might drop to +2, if yes +3.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    but can it reapply and reforce saves each round?
    There's no 24-hour immunity clause, so you can definitely force healthy people to make a new save for each hit, but... Actually, now that I check, the disease rules don't actually say you can't be infected with a disease you already have. We can probably just file that one under "RAW is Silly" though.

Show

13. - Top - End - #583

Goblin

Side Note: If we want to be extremely thorough, DMG2 also has the Mob template, so we should probably also give that template an LA (certainly -0, yeah?). Of course, if there was one template in all the books that we can justifiably skip, it's probably the Mob template.

---

I'm voting LA +3 for the Acheri. I think the standard ghost template got a variable +3/+4 LA because of the variety of special attacks (and the ambiguity about how many of them the ghost gets); but the Acheri is restricted to just one of those special attacks, and it's on the weaker end of the spectrum. So, I think the lower LA is sufficient.

Also, that picture is going to give me nightmares.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I will get on the +3 band wagon, I think this is enough worse than standard ghost that even the frostburn addon doesn't bump it up to +4.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yeah, LA +3 seems reasonable.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Side Note: If we want to be extremely thorough, DMG2 also has the Mob template, so we should probably also give that template an LA (certainly -0, yeah?). Of course, if there was one template in all the books that we can justifiably skip, it's probably the Mob
    template
    Are you kidding me? The mob template is probably the single most powerful template for players in the whole game! It sets your number of HD to 30! Now‚ that may be a detriment most of the time‚ but not for epic creatures! An atropal‚ as strong as it is‚ isn't worth 66 HD‚ and would probably get LA-0. But imagine what would happen for an atropal mob. All the SLAs‚ at ECL 30? With Abomination and Undead immunities‚ with the pretty good grappling abilities of a mob combined with the terrifying negative level aura of the atropal? That would be broken. Plus‚ it's an acquired template‚ so you can take it after taking NI class levels‚ like barbarian or Black Blood Cultist. No‚ I suggest we give the mob template at least LA+10‚ just in case.

(More seriously‚ please don't make us review that. This is an obscure template absolutely not meant for PCs‚ let it remain this way)
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I mean, playing a swarm is strerching it, but you'd play as a hive mind. A mob? That's simply a mechanical tool to simplify certain types of combat and adjust them to the system. I get that the point of this thread is "everything is playable", but, come on.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

18. - Top - End - #588

Goblin

I mean, playing a swarm is strerching it, but you'd play as a hive mind. A mob? That's simply a mechanical tool to simplify certain types of combat and adjust them to the system. I get that the point of this thread is "everything is playable", but, come on.
    Eh... WotC gets blasted all the time on these forums for making assumptions about what kind of games people want to play, so I didn't want to do that here. I'm not invested, either way: I just wanted to be thorough.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

If we ever do it, I am not touching any of the potential jokes I can make with the image.

Looks like we agree on +3 here. Airjelly coming up.

Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

What're these things, aerogel?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Airjelly

Thundercloud Oozes.

Size & Type: Small Ooze
    Space/Reach: 5'/5', 10' reach with tendril.
    HD: 2
    Speed: Fly 80' (Perfect)
    Ability Scores: Str -4, Dex +12, Con +18, Int -, Wis -10, Cha -10 - Net +6, three penalties
    Natural Armor: 0
    Natural Weapons: One Primary Tendril (1d3 plus 1d6 Electric)
    Skill List: N/A
    Body Shape: Ooze
    Speech (Languages): N/A
    CR: 2
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: +2

On top of an interesting chasis, they get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. They're naturally translucent, giving them concealment that Blindsense and Blind-Fight are called out as ineffective against. Once per hour, they can focus their electrical charge to explode in a 10' burst of electricity. Creatures in the area must make a DC20 Reflex save or take 1d6 electricity damage per two HD the Airjelly has and be dazed for one round. This is presumably Con-based, but not mentioned as such.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2021-10-06 at 11:22 AM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

...We still haven't done Sentry Ooze yet, right?

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Halfling in the Playground

Mobs only last 1d4+1 hours so its one of those cases that should actually be LA - even in a thread like this.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ooh, a cloud pimple!

No, but seriously, what's with these stats? +18 Con with 2 RHD? With 80ft perfect flying? And you get automatic 20% concealment? This is madness! Then again, it's still an ooze, with all the problems that entails, from wielding items and weapons to near-object levels of stupidity.

You have extremely high levels of defense but won't do that much in offense. A precision-based rogue will not appreciate only having one attack. A strength-based fighter will just not use the incredible Dex and Weapon Finesse, and all spellcasting is out with these mental stats. This probably means some mixture of totemist to get natural attacks and rogue to get more damage on them (shame about the skill points). Probably three levels of Umbral Disciple to get Hide in Plain Sight. And with that, you're good for a long time. I hesitate between +2 and +3. This chassis is absolutely fantastic. Let's go for LA+3 for the airjelly.

Quote Originally Posted by emulord View Post
    Mobs only last 1d4+1 hours so its one of those cases that should actually be LA - even in a thread like this.
    You know, that's why we have asterisks.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-10-01 at 02:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon Shaman maybe?

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dragon Shaman maybe?
    Dragonfire adept, you mean? Because dragon shaman is more of a support/skill based character, and has next to no synergy with the airjelly

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Which one has the Con-based DC breath weapon?

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

These guys are brural, damn. You never see attributes like these on low hd monsters. Such an increase to Con also helps mitigate a big downside of high LA - early vulberability.

I'm pondering the actual LA. Is there any way for these guys to use weapons?

My judgments and medals!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Improved Unarmed Strike should at least give them iteratives. Shame they presumably have like... no slots.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Well, Improved Unarmed Strike should at least give them iteratives. Shame they presumably have like... no slots.
    VoP?

By the way, the one with the con-based breath weapon is indeed DFA, not dragon shaman.

My judgments and medals!