New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worthy LA +2/3

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Worthy LA +2/3

I'm looking for a list level adjustment 2 or LA 3 races (3.5 only, no 3.0) that are considered 'worth it'. Preferably, ones without any hit dice.
    I do not want a discussion of "oh! this is a crappy race because it limits spellcasting and spellcasters are teh uber!".
    I'm specifically looking for races that just generally 'synchronize' well with any mid-ranged power classes such as: martial classes (ToB), barbarian, rogue, favored soul (even though it loses caster levels, I don't care), and similar.
    Preferably races that synchronize well at around the ECL 12 mark, and are still 'worth' their LA.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Worthy LA +2/3

Right off the top of my head, Half-Fey for any Charisma-centric character. Yes, yes, "Thou shalt not forgo caster levels". With a class with a limited, Cha-based spell list (like Hexblade or Spellthief) and other abilities that are Cha-based, it's terrific. Not only do you get a metric ton of SLAs that are incredibly useful (charm person at will? Yes please), but you get a decent Cha boost and flight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hate to bring it up, but Drow are honestly pretty damn good for a +2 LA. Plus with the ridiculous amount of published material for them you have a lot of character options.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

4. - Top - End - #4

Karsites from Tome of Magic are uber for melee classes, wilders and any Incarnum/ToM casting class (they can't use arcane/divine magic, so no favored soul.)

You get all the benefits of human (Extra Feat), +2 Con, +2 Cha, 5/magic DR, 10+class level SR with the ability to gain 2*spell level HP if you resist a spell, a Rogue-like ability to temporarily drain magic items with your melee attacks, free medium/light armor proficienies and a free martial weapon proficiency.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I can give you a +1 LA race, if that'll help at all. I think Catfolk is pretty decent. +6 total stats (+4 dex, +2cha), 40 Base land speed. Low light vision. Bonuses to some skills I think.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    I hate to bring it up, but Drow are honestly pretty damn good for a +2 LA. Plus with the ridiculous amount of published material for them you have a lot of character options.
    This is true if you have access to Drow of the Underdark. Otherwise, it's a coin-toss (I almost wrote toin-coss wtf).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Half ogre (RoD), thri kreen (MM2) (ECL 3, LA +1). Plus the obligatory broken half minotaur, feral, and mineral warrior. Half dragon isn't that bad either, as the Constitution gain goes a long way toward compensating for the lost hit dice, and the Strength gain more than makes up for the lost BAB.

Centaur is also pretty good, but it has 4 racial hit dice, and some lycanthropes are also pretty good, but they carry animal hit dice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Werebear Barbarian.

Think about it.

Let it sink in.

Then realize that it's +16 Strength when raging at level 1. +20 at 8th.

Warhulk for later, since you shift and gain large size.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-11-12 at 07:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lumi (MM3 p.98) are also nice, although they have 2 RHD, but outsider. And +2 Str, +4 Con, +4 Wis, -2 Dex. That looks pretty good for ToB classes, Barbarians and Favored Souls.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I tend to want to avoid templates here and LA +1 races. Although certain notable templates and races are appreciated (such as noting the thri-kreen).
    Also, I'm aware of the Catfolk for a good LA +1. Catfolk pounce with increased speed is excellent.
    Is there anything specific in the "Drow of the Underdark" I should be looking for?

Thank you for the races thus far.

11. - Top - End - #11

It's a good book all around for feats and PrC's...the ranger PrC (Cavestalker I think it's called) is quite good. Also read over the section on alternate class features for drow of various base classes, there's a lot of good stuff there.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Side not for the thread here - in 4e they're supposed to have a new system for not just MPCs but all PCs where they get different/stronger abilities in line with their race as they level up. No losing levels because of your race, but instead you don't get all the cool powers until later on, and even gnomes got something cool at that point!
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Werebear Barbarian.

Think about it.

Let it sink in.

Then realize that it's +16 Strength when raging at level 1. +20 at 8th.

Warhulk for later, since you shift and gain large size.
    Unfortunately, those levels of animal suck badly. And with an LA of +3, even with buyoff you won't get rid of most of that (The soonest you can buy off the first is ECL 18, costing a hell of a lot of xp, and you can't buy off any of the rest before epic).

Although it does have a slight advantage over a normal fighter or barbarian, you start at ECL 9. Meaning you can't even begin play in the low levels where fighter types do well. By the time you get the warhulk thing goin' (which you can do after only taking a single level of barbarian) you're solidly in bat country.

And when you're not shifted, you quite seriously suck. You'll have a total BAB of 5 at ECL 20 taking all of warhulk. That is half of a wizard's, for crying out loud.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I like Half Fey (except for the butter fly wings) which was already mentioned and Phrenic at +2 LA is pretty nice particularly with LA buydown at levels 3 and 9.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/mo...icCreature.htm

SRD Bloodlines (+1, +2 and +3) are really nice for what you get and how they are paid down differently than standard LA templates, they could be paid down comletely by level 4.

There is always combinations:

Take something like the OE Hengokai, shape changing animal +1LA whic was lowered down to +0 in a dragon magazine, can shape change into some useful animal forms 1/day per hd/level, they would qualify for the ECS +0 LA Mage Bred template (+4, +2, +2 to physical attributes) plus a few other bennies, tack on half fey or phrenic at +2 LA.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-11-12 at 07:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    And when you're not shifted, you quite seriously suck. You'll have a total BAB of 5 at ECL 20 taking all of warhulk. That is half of a wizard's, for crying out loud.
    Yes, you would. But honestly, the relevance is little. Mostly because there are ways to gain multiple attacks without a high BAB. (Improved Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick come to mind) Coupled with Skirmisher's Boots and a Haste and you're already attacking four times at your highest BAB with only a -2 penalty each time.

Considering you'll have about 38 Strength as a base.. Hardly too important.

Instead of Warhulk, you could always take Frenzied Berserker and turn it into a charger build instead.

Honestly, I enjoy the heck out of a 38 Strength werebear, but thats my opinion.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spawn, of which ever colour, are a great bet. Dragonlance PG. Whitespawn for the WIN BABY!
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Unfortunately, those levels of animal suck badly. And with an LA of +3, even with buyoff you won't get rid of most of that (The soonest you can buy off the first is ECL 18, costing a hell of a lot of xp, and you can't buy off any of the rest before epic).
    Isn't LA +3 the highest you can buy off completely (starting at character level 9, ECL 12)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

18. - Top - End - #18

In my opinion Githyanki are pretty solid if you are doing a build that plays to their strengths, which often include levels of fighter and barbarian.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Both of the Gith aren't bad choices. I can't remember if Fiend Folio is 3.0 or not, but the Nerra are really cool. I love reflective spell resistance (really high reflective spell resistance...)
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Isn't LA +3 the highest you can buy off completely (starting at character level 9, ECL 12)?
    Hm, I think I wasn't counting the animal hit dice for character level. Which I should have. In any case, I can't recall any game I've been a player in that used LA buyoff. I generally allow it in my own games, though.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    No, first you have to wait 3*3 (9) levels, then 2*3 (6) levels, then 1*3 (3) levels, so you buy off the first at 18, the second at 24, and the final at 27.

Edit: ^ makes a good point. With that, it might be 12, then 18, then 21.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2007-11-12 at 10:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

<offtopic>
    If you want the werebear's strength, all you have to do is wait through seven levels of barbarian/similar and then pick up Bear Warrior. Toss in two levels of Warshaper and eat a single BAB point of loss, and at level 15 you can have a PC with a strength score of 45. Eat that, werebear.
    </offtopic>

There's a Lawful planetouched race whose name I forget, from the MM2 IIRC. That's only a +1, but it's tailor-made for a monk (or swordsage). Tiefling as the ever-favorite rogue or swashbuckler. (Again, LA+1 but worth a mention.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Satyxis - Total of +12 to Stats (spread over 4) Racial Abilites, Bonus to skills and a Great rack (+2 LA)

Pygmy Troll - Small, but Tough, has Regeneration 2, Poison resistance and Whelps (+2 LA)

Now, if RHD isnt a problem - Tharn (6 RHD & +2 LA) Toss in some levels of Barb or such and have fun. Lots of Str, Dex & Con bonus and a minor hit to Int and Cha. Also has a Racial rage type ability

Farrow (2 RHD & +2 LA), +10 To physical stats (Favouring Con), natural weapon, natural Armour, Scent

Monsternomicon One
    By Privateer Press
    Last edited by Leon; 2007-11-13 at 02:37 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Satyxis - Total of +12 to Stats (spread over 4) Racial Abilites, Bonus to skills and a Great rack (+2 LA)

Pygmy Troll - Small, but Tough, has Regeneration 2, Poison resistance and Whelps (+2 LA)

Now, if RHD isnt a problem - Tharn (6 RHD & +2 LA) Toss in some levels of Barb or such and have fun. Lots of Str, Dex & Con bonus and a minor hit to Int and Cha. Also has a Racial rage type ability

Farrow (2 RHD & +2 LA), +10 To physical stats (Favouring Con), natural weapon, natural Armour, Scent
    Please give sources.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I can only find 'Pygmy Troll' as a homebrew creature in the wizards forums.
    I'm looking for official races. If these are official, then yes, sources appreciated please ^^;

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

There is a +2 LA Psionic Version of the Thri-Kreen as well in Complete Psionic. Good stats, good psionic abilities that don't require pp to use. You have to take two levels of montrous humanoid unfortunately for thri-kreen, but the 4 arms and good dex bonus nearly makes up for it, and the +3 Natural Armor is very nice.
    Last edited by Aurion; 2007-11-13 at 01:10 AM.
    You cannot say, or guess, for you know only/A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,/And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,/And the dry stone no sound of water.Only/There is shadow under this red rock,/(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),/And I will show you something different from either/Your shadow at morning striding behind you/Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;/I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfClericGuy

power gamer friend of mine just made a deep gnome from FR, they are LA 3. They can alter self, SR 10 + Character level and a bunch of other stuff. good for a fighter or a rogue.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quick Discription
    Satyxis - Horned Warrior Women

Pygmy Troll - The smallest of the Troll breeds of Western Immoren

Tharn - Bestial Humanoids that live in the wilds

Farrow - Boarmen

Edited the Original post with Book details
    Last edited by Leon; 2007-11-13 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Edited the Orignial, added discriptions
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Half-Farspawn is just a bit out of the league at +4, but it does have that tentacular goodness...
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    I can only find 'Pygmy Troll' as a homebrew creature in the wizards forums.
    I'm looking for official races. If these are official, then yes, sources appreciated please ^^;
    The source he ended up posting was third-party, which is pretty far from official. Too bad, the horned warrior women looked interesting. Unfortunately, I can't use things in my game with only a "quick description".