A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Campaign Premise You've Never Gotten To Play?

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    oh, I have also wanted to do something based on thundaar the barbarian. If you know the cartoon.
    Can I play a mok?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There are a few dnd campaigns I wish I could run, but here's one a little more eclectic:

Boot Hill meets Ravenloft, set in a small mining town in Canada. You got lots of material to work with there.... with DnD and Shadowrun mix ins...

PCs begin a long arduous trek around 1885, starting north from the US to a Canadian gold rush town, with a group of travelers including some nuns, mail order brides, and some trappers. Plagues, fights, hardship, and then some Bad Things they accidentally cause along the way, and need to undo. You know, one of those "Well, as long as you didnt..." things but, you know, they just did... Guns. Undead. Monsters. More guns. And dynamite.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The Misplaced Genre

The DM's introduction to the game states that we are playing Champions, with low-powered superheroes. It's the 31st century, and you are a group of heroes traveling to earth to try to join the Legion of Super Heroes. Since it's the Legion, there are no powered suits or gadgets of any kind.

Design a 100 point normal who has a 50 point power or multi-power. Since it's the Legion, don't try to build a balanced character -- each member is supposed to have one power. A multipower is limited to a closely related set of powers (fireball, stream of fire, heat environment, for instance).

Since they are leaving their home worlds, their Disadvantages cannot included Hunteds, Watcheds, or DNPCs. Perks cannot include Contacts or Favors or any kind of connections.

Their characters will meet on the spaceship going to Earth to apply.

They will never reach Earth. On the first session, the ship is caught in an an unknown space warp, and is pulled into a different universe. All gadgets slowly stop working. The ship lasts just long enough to crash on a planet, and then no modern device will ever work.

Magic works; modern electronics does not work. The culture is medieval. There are dragons, orcs, wizards, etc. They are not paying Champions. They are playing Fantasy Hero1, but each character has a single unique power (which the denizens of that world will consider magic).

---
    1 Same system, but set in a fantasy world.
    And the cyborg character falls over dead.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    There are a few dnd campaigns I wish I could run, but here's one a little more eclectic:

Boot Hill meets Ravenloft, set in a small mining town in Canada. You got lots of material to work with there.... with DnD and Shadowrun mix ins...

PCs begin a long arduous trek around 1885, starting north from the US to a Canadian gold rush town, with a group of travelers including some nuns, mail order brides, and some trappers. Plagues, fights, hardship, and then some Bad Things they accidentally cause along the way, and need to undo. You know, one of those "Well, as long as you didnt..." things but, you know, they just did... Guns. Undead. Monsters. More guns. And dynamite.
    The logical choice is to report all of this to the RCMP and just... leave. Let the military take care of that crap. I just want gold.

Unless the undead drop gold like rpg monsters. In which case...

Hawt Dawggy we's shootin sum undead critters tonaight.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    At some point I'd like to play a campaign set in the world of the classic computer game Master of Magic
    We did that one a couple years before WotC bought out TSR. There were... issues...

Basically a 6th level 3 character party didn't have much luck with squads of drow archers & troll fighters wandering around on unlimited-movement roads. Apparently we were supposed to snag one of the mana locations and do something with it to power up before getting into things, but without a helpful NPC to tell us that there even were mana locations...

I recall a campaign I worked up back in those days that I never did get to run. Basrd on Larry Niven's 'The Magic Goes Away' and 'Not Long Before The End' stories. Basically a 'what if the magic in myths were real but the magic got used up'. Functionally it starts like a normal D&D game, but each world hex has a mana rating, usually in the 80s or 90s with occasional lower/dead spots. When any spells/SLAs/magic rituals get used check spell level * 10 against the mana level. Mana level that number + 10 or more, nothing changes. Mana level more than the number but less than +10, subtract spell level from mana level. Mana level less than the number but more than number - 10, check mana level + caster level as % to cast the spell then subtract the spell level from the mana. Mana level less than number - 10, spell fails and the mana level reduces by 1. You could sacrifice magic items & people's hit dice to power spells too, but it was a pretty bad trade most of the time.

Mana came back naturally as long as the area wasn't dead. 90+ got 1/year, 80 got 1/2 years, 70 got 1/4 years, down to 10 getting 1/256 years, and single digits getting back 1/1000 years. Zero was premanently dead magic zone. Big problem of course was that finding out the mana level of an area was a spell.

Magic creatures needed minimum mana levels or they sickened, then died/turned to stone/vaporised/or whatever. So big magic things like genies and dragons lived a long way away from people (magic users) & knew that using too much magic made them sick until they moved. Most cities were in the 60s & 70s because magic users like hot meals and indoor plumbing. High knowledge casters knew that using too much magic made it weaker for a while but nobody had any good way to experiment or quantify what happened.

So first half like a standard D&D mid-high magic setting with high end casters being a bit more cagey & restrained than usual. Then the PCs get high enough to cast big spells & go into fallen ancient empire lands with lower mana counts.
    Last edited by Telok; 2021-08-10 at 09:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

I wanted to play a strategic game using a lot of the 3rd party classes which didn't necessarily work, with each character being abducted by a group of wizards staging a competition on a manufactured demiplane. Two factions which come to mind are a Dragonmech Assimilated citymech tended by Tik'tok Coglayers, squaring off against a Rhulisti Life-Shaper taken from Athas' Blue Age in control of a coral flotilla supporting a body horror fighter squadron.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    We did that one a couple years before WotC bought out TSR. There were... issues...

Basically a 6th level 3 character party didn't have much luck with squads of drow archers & troll fighters wandering around on unlimited-movement roads. Apparently we were supposed to snag one of the mana locations and do something with it to power up before getting into things, but without a helpful NPC to tell us that there even were mana locations...
    Huh. Yeah, that does sound… like it had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I recall a campaign I worked up back in those days that I never did get to run. Basrd on Larry Niven's 'The Magic Goes Away' and 'Not Long Before The End' stories. Basically a 'what if the magic in myths were real but the magic got used up'. Functionally it starts like a normal D&D game, but each world hex has a mana rating, usually in the 80s or 90s with occasional lower/dead spots. When any spells/SLAs/magic rituals get used check spell level * 10 against the mana level. Mana level that number + 10 or more, nothing changes. Mana level more than the number but less than +10, subtract spell level from mana level. Mana level less than the number but more than number - 10, check mana level + caster level as % to cast the spell then subtract the spell level from the mana. Mana level less than number - 10, spell fails and the mana level reduces by 1. You could sacrifice magic items & people's hit dice to power spells too, but it was a pretty bad trade most of the time.

Mana came back naturally as long as the area wasn't dead. 90+ got 1/year, 80 got 1/2 years, 70 got 1/4 years, down to 10 getting 1/256 years, and single digits getting back 1/1000 years. Zero was premanently dead magic zone. Big problem of course was that finding out the mana level of an area was a spell.

Magic creatures needed minimum mana levels or they sickened, then died/turned to stone/vaporised/or whatever. So big magic things like genies and dragons lived a long way away from people (magic users) & knew that using too much magic made them sick until they moved. Most cities were in the 60s & 70s because magic users like hot meals and indoor plumbing. High knowledge casters knew that using too much magic made it weaker for a while but nobody had any good way to experiment or quantify what happened.

So first half like a standard D&D mid-high magic setting with high end casters being a bit more cagey & restrained than usual. Then the PCs get high enough to cast big spells & go into fallen ancient empire lands with lower mana counts.
    The fact that SLAs drain the mana too makes "mindless" or dumb magical monsters… problematic. Colonies of Displacer Beasts, invisible Pixies, earth gliding Xorn?

That setting, played with the attitude of Quertus, my signature academia mage for whom this account is named, would involve working to invent (world-saving) spells like…

Remote mana testing: test the magical level of a remote "hex".

Sacrificial mana testing: test the magical level of an area without using its magic (seems already available by default).

Store mana: ability to grab mana, pay the costs of potentially draining an area now, use the mana in another area.

Sacrificial mana storage: mana created by sacrifice (sacrifice now, use the sacrifice later).

Lock mana: prevent anyone from using mana in a hex.

Replenish mana: use stored mana to replenish the mana rating of an area.

Although, honestly, I'd just lock spells at "safe" levels, or just lock it to "only I can use Magic in this area", like… Hmmm… darn senility… there's a Drow house, and several other places in canon that did this, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone got any references?

8. - Top - End - #98

PirateWench

And the cyborg character falls over dead.
    Well, to be fair, he would never have been allowed to join the Legion of Super-Heroes since they have a strict rule against technology-based powers. For example, Storm Boy could control the weather but only with a gadget hidden in his costume, so he was disqualified from joining. So, a cyborg character shouldn't have made the journey to join the Legion in the first place.
    Last edited by SimonMoon6; 2021-08-11 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I just thpught of one.

A political intrigue pvpvbbeg game. You all roleplay royalty. Princes and princesses. The bbeg is the oldest and the crown prince. But he suspects all of you are plotting against him... BECAUSE YOU ARE. The goal is to either kill or disinherit the crown prince and become the next ruler yourself.

This one could get messy.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-08-11 at 02:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    The fact that SLAs drain the mana too makes "mindless" or dumb magical monsters… problematic. Colonies of Displacer Beasts, invisible Pixies, earth gliding Xorn?

That setting, played with the attitude of Quertus, my signature academia mage for whom this account is named, would involve...
    You should read the short "Not Long Before The End" for those answers.

As I recall there was a distinction in naturally magical creatures. They'd simply die or unmake somehow in too low a mana field. So a displacer beast... displacement is a 3rd level effect? So they'd need a 30+ area to survive long term, getting sicker & weaker & dying faster the further below 30 the local field was. The stuff that drained mana was basically actual spell functions that a creature had to actively use.
    "And this, too, shall pass away."

DtD40k7e rewrite complete.

11. - Top - End - #101

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A political intrigue pvpvbbeg game. You all roleplay royalty. Princes and princesses. The bbeg is the oldest and the crown prince. But he suspects all of you are plotting against him... BECAUSE YOU ARE. The goal is to either kill or disinherit the crown prince and become the next ruler yourself.
    Sounds like Amber. And there is a game version, that I bought but never played.

12. - Top - End - #102

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    Well, to be fair, he would never have been allowed to join the Legion of Super-Heroes since they have a strict rule against technology-based powers. For example, Storm Boy could control the weather but only with a gadget hidden in his costume, so he was disqualified from joining. So, a cyborg character shouldn't have made the journey to join the Legion in the first place.
    So you would warn players away from Tech based characters before hand? compared to some DM's that is down right generous. If I was told before hand that this would be a turn the game took I would probably not have a problem, otherwise I would feel like I had been hit by a bait and switch and that is just not a good feeling.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

“The Troubadours of Perception” – a campaign where all the players are bards. We’re just trying to tour the countryside and make music, maaaan! But all these peasants got these heavy problems, and it only seems fair, since we got, like, +1 weapons and dental care, that we help ‘em out a bit.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

14. - Top - End - #104

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    “The Troubadours of Perception” – a campaign where all the players are bards. We’re just trying to tour the countryside and make music, maaaan! But all these peasants got these heavy problems, and it only seems fair, since we got, like, +1 weapons and dental care, that we help ‘em out a bit.
    I'm hearing that in Shaggy's voice. You may have just reskinned Scooby-Doo as a D&D party.
    I'm taking part in the Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge): 1 character per day for January 2021. Come see who I've made at:
    https://www.livejournal.com/rsearch?...earchArea=post

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

A certain place has been falling under hard times. They were already almost on the point of revolt when they were attacked by the usually peaceful local tribe of lizardmen. The local nobility, a family of sorcerors, has been very effective at fighting them off and that has improved the local populace's approval of them. If the party snoops around it becomes apparent that the noblemen have killed off the leaders of the lizard tribe and replaced them using polymorph magic, and have concocted the war to distract the populace from their poor leadership.

(tl;dr lizardfolk society is taken over by a cabal of evil human politicians)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-08-31 at 01:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

RogueGuy

One thing about electronic devices and chemistry changing that most people do not take into consideration is that if you change them so that modern devices and weapons do not work, you die unless magic is keeping you alive somehow. if you revert to normal chemistry and electrical functions in a dead magic zone than a gun and a cell phone would work in a dead magic zone. if the chemistry is still such that it would not work in a dead magic zone then the character dies. the fact that I know this ruins any real enjoyment I could get out of such scenarios.

I know I am a spoil sport.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing about electronic devices and chemistry changing that most people do not take into consideration is that if you change them so that modern devices and weapons do not work, you die unless magic is keeping you alive somehow. if you revert to normal chemistry and electrical functions in a dead magic zone than a gun and a cell phone would work in a dead magic zone. if the chemistry is still such that it would not work in a dead magic zone then the character dies. the fact that I know this ruins any real enjoyment I could get out of such scenarios.

I know I am a spoil sport.
    You could imagine the plane change also alters the people and transform them in ways that makes them fit the new physics rules.
    Ex: in the new world carbon does not exists and instead lifeforms are zublok based and when you appear here everything you are made off is changed so that you can be a creature functioning similarly to before but with zublok.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-08-13 at 05:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I'm hearing that in Shaggy's voice. You may have just reskinned Scooby-Doo as a D&D party.
    Shaggy: Like, zoinks, Scoob, how're we gonna represent you? You wanna be a blink dog?
    Scooby-Doo: Rut's that, Raggy?
    Velma: Well, it does mean you could hide and run away a lot better.
    Scooby-Doo: That rone, then

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You could imagine the plane change also alters the people and transform them in ways that makes them fit the new physics rules.
    Ex: in the new world carbon does not exists and instead lifeforms are zublok based and when you appear here everything you are made off is changed so that you can be a creature functioning similarly to before but with zublok.
    "Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard did it."
    Last edited by Gnome Alone; 2021-08-13 at 08:00 PM.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

19. - Top - End - #109

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Bit of a stretch, I could see it, but if you go that far, you could alter the cyborg character as well. If you ever do a game like that you should be upfront about the change that is going to happen. I have seen many games die from such things.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Oh boy. I have three main ideas, which I would be happy to play in or run in.

Idea #1: The Odyssey

Session Zero: The players stat out characters who are embarking on an exploratory mission for a seafaring culture, with hopefully some backstory ties to the politics of their culture as well. The team outfits their ship, bids farewell to their families, and sail off on a grand adventure to the unknown.

Session One: The players wake up shipwrecked, on an unknown island in a strange sea. Treachery scuttled their ship and monstrous storms blew them off-course, deep into completely uncharted waters. Now, they must find their way home, spurred on by the knowledge that someone wanted them out of the way to enact their own plans upon their homeland in their absence.

Biggest Issue: This needs bull player investment into their backstories and a lot of collaborative worldbuilding to get them invested in getting home as fast as they can, and there's still a fair bit to do on the DM's side of the screen as well to make sure the uncharted islands are vibrant and interesting.

Idea #2: Whodunit... or What?

The players make non-powered, noir-era detectives and police officers. They are dispatched to a mysterious murder at a mansion and tasked with unraveling what happened and (of course) whodunit. With their investigative skills and diligent probing and clue-gathering, they can discover the motive behind the murder and the culprit, bringing them to justice fairly simply without ever going beyond the noir genre.

However, if they dig a little bit deeper, or follow that shadow that seems to move a little differently than it should, or actually believe the ravings of the lunatic beggar outside of the house... they may discover something much deeper and darker, something that smells of dark magic and creatures beyond mortal understanding, and find an entirely different reason why a seemingly ordinary man was killed in a seemingly ordinary way on a very strange night.

Biggest Issue: For the twist here to work, the GM would have to essentially lie to the players about the game's base premise, which is a very dangerous thing to do in collaborative RPG play. There's all the other issues with introducing mysteries into RPGs as well, which only get worse now that we're layering mysteries on top of one another.

Idea #3: The Bad Guy Wins, but The Heroes Come Back

The players make high-level characters and begin by preparing to go into the final battle against the Evil Overlord, certain that with all of their preparation and journeys, they're certain to win.

They lose.

An in-game century later, the characters wake up in a strange, magical underground chamber. They find themselves in a much, much weaker state than they were just before death; now, they seem to be where they were only a short time after they began adventuring together! They recognize the chamber as a dungeon they explored at the beginning of their career, though it looks even older and more worn. Leaving the dungeon, they are confronted with a changed world. The Evil Overlord conquered it one hundred years ago and spread his influence everywhere. He is still in power, and his chokehold gets stronger every day. Now, weakened and in a much more hostile world, the players must level their characters again and figure out how to defeat the foe that destroyed them already once before.

Biggest Issue: Again, this needs a lot of buy-in from players, and the DM needs to be very clever in figuring out how the world would alter after so much time under the bad guy's control.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Bit of a stretch, I could see it, but if you go that far, you could alter the cyborg character as well. If you ever do a game like that you should be upfront about the change that is going to happen. I have seen many games die from such things.
    And likewise you should be upfront on the fact they would be thrown in another universe than the starting one.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Spamalot in the Playground

oh, I have also wanted to do something based on thundaar the barbarian. If you know the cartoon.
    Right on! That would be an interesting premise I'd try.

I once had an idea of running Castle Ravenloft, but in a modern setting, and the PCs were Ghostbusters. I meant it to be more comedy than scary, but I never finished fleshing out the idea.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #113

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Right on! That would be an interesting premise I'd try.

I once had an idea of running Castle Ravenloft, but in a modern setting, and the PCs were Ghostbusters. I meant it to be more comedy than scary, but I never finished fleshing out the idea.
    I would play that.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I would play that.
    I ain't afraid of no ghost. Vampires on the other hand...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    Idea #3: The Bad Guy Wins, but The Heroes Come Back

The players make high-level characters and begin by preparing to go into the final battle against the Evil Overlord, certain that with all of their preparation and journeys, they're certain to win.

They lose.

An in-game century later, the characters wake up in a strange, magical underground chamber. They find themselves in a much, much weaker state than they were just before death; now, they seem to be where they were only a short time after they began adventuring together! They recognize the chamber as a dungeon they explored at the beginning of their career, though it looks even older and more worn. Leaving the dungeon, they are confronted with a changed world. The Evil Overlord conquered it one hundred years ago and spread his influence everywhere. He is still in power, and his chokehold gets stronger every day. Now, weakened and in a much more hostile world, the players must level their characters again and figure out how to defeat the foe that destroyed them already once before.

Biggest Issue: Again, this needs a lot of buy-in from players, and the DM needs to be very clever in figuring out how the world would alter after so much time under the bad guy's control.
    The closest setting for this in 3.5 (and maybe 5e if my memory is right about them issuing a new edition) is Midnight. It is specifically set about 100 years after the bad guy wins, and it wouldn't take much tinkering to set up the campaign world precisely like this. All the work of creating this sort of world, both fluff and mechanics, is done. Heartily recommend.
    Last edited by Saintheart; 2021-08-31 at 09:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

EvilClericGuy

I would play that.
    Once upon a time, there was a website with campaign logs of a d20 Modern Ravenloft game. The PCs were UN Peacekeepers in the former-Yugoslavia send to investigate conditions reported in the remote valley of Barovia. It detailed the first 2-3 sessions, then stopped. And I can't find the site any longer. I think a d20 Modern Ravenloft would be fascinating.

I think a Ghostbusters Ravenloft would either be comedy gold OR an excellent modern-horror take, closer to what the original script of Ghostbusters was. If you're a good DM (not ME!), you could get both.

Gods above and below, that would be a game!

ETA: Also, Midnight rocks.
    I'm taking part in the Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge): 1 character per day for January 2021. Come see who I've made at:
    https://www.livejournal.com/rsearch?...earchArea=post

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

Anima Beyond Fantasy

A campaign where the PCs are a team of some sort of supernatural sport and have to compete in a tournament against other teams, each unique in skills and powers. The sport itself should be a minigame worth attention and the prize for winning is actually disconnecting yourself from the matrix, because the PCs start the game as awakened AIs inside a Video Game.
    Last edited by HappyDMing; 2021-08-31 at 10:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Once upon a time, there was a website with campaign logs of a d20 Modern Ravenloft game. The PCs were UN Peacekeepers in the former-Yugoslavia send to investigate conditions reported in the remote valley of Barovia. It detailed the first 2-3 sessions, then stopped. And I can't find the site any longer. I think a d20 Modern Ravenloft would be fascinating.
    This idea sounds cool as HELL!!!!

ETA: Also, Midnight rocks.
    100%, can confirm.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Post-Apocalypse Eberron

Magical knowledge and power is largely lost after the Second War, splitting the continent into dozens of smaller factions, and players are tasked with delving the ruins of Sharn for remaining magic items. Dragonmarks are highly valued as some of the most powerful magic someone can personally wield still, but it's just as likely to get you captured as to elevate your status. The Sharn Delve is complicated by the petty kingdoms that have laid claim to the area, as well as the (unknown at first) remaining inhabitants of the half-floating city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand