New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time IV: The Spy Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Would now be a good time to point out that slang is very much not the right choice of language to use if you want to avoid misunderstandings?
    An occasional need to clarify a position here and there doesn't outweigh its overall convenience in my mind. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a turbulent period in my life. I recently lost the job I've held for six years due to backdoor corporate shenanigans and I had a car accident. Don't worry, I'm fine and my car is still functional though rather ugly looking in the back now. I'll try and see if I can do an chapter tonight.

I stayed up to almost five in the morning watching the show last night and it's really good. I was expecting something on the level of Legend of the Seeker or Xena but it's really reminding me of the first half of Fellowship of the Ring before they get to Rivendell. I like that they've softened some of the characteristics that made some of the book characters kind of irritating. I haven't been annoyed by Mat or Egwene at all.

It's weird when you've spent years internally pronouncing a character's name one way only to hear how it's actually supposed to be pronounced in the screen version. I've been calling Egwene Eg-win all this time and Nynaeve Nin-ev when apparently it's actually Eeg-wain and Nine-eve.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2021-12-05 at 06:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I'm just glad you're hanging in there. Amusing commentary on a beloved book series can wait until things have settled down, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Life comes first, as always. Glad to hear you've survived your setbacks. While I of course look forward to your next update, life of course must come first.

Also, I'm the same way with the name pronunciations, especially those two. I don't think I will ever get used to hearing Egg-WAYNE and Nye-NEEV.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.