New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How to Cook Perch?

I grabbed some perch on a whim, but never actually cooked it before.

So, any perch-cooking advice? Not sure whether to bake or pan-fry.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: How to Cook Perch?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I grabbed some perch on a whim, but never actually cooked it before.

So, any perch-cooking advice? Not sure whether to bake or pan-fry.
    How much? and which Perch? I never cooked any myself, but why would it be different from other fish?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty much the same as bass, IME, except they're not as much fun to reel in. Grease up your skillet.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Never cooked bass, either. A few more details would be welcome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

When I did it (many years ago, when I still fished) I cleaned the perch (obviously...) and then opened the perch out and grilled it skin-side down, basted with butter.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-06-05 at 06:57 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6

Never cooked bass, either. A few more details would be welcome.

I'm no chef, pretty sure you could Google exact instructions on whatever farm raised store bought fish you have, make sure it's thawed. For me, it's not much different than frying an egg. Most fish gets flaky when it's done, slightly undercooked isn't a huge deal, overcooked ruins flavor, either way you're probably picking bones. It's literally as simple as grabbing a skillet that all of the fish can fit in, a pat of butter or some olive oil to coat the pan, medium-ish heat, skin down, sizzle until flaky, salt and pepper and whatever else to taste. Fun to catch, often pricey to buy, but one of the most basic meats to prepare, even at my modest cooking skill level I don't think I've ever made inedible fish. Have fun.
    Golem Arcana

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Imbalance
    ...even at my modest cooking skill level I don't think I've ever made inedible fish.
    Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Clearly you're a much better cook than I am, since I've ruined more fish than I care to think on. Primarily salmon, which I can't seem to get right no matter what I do. Here's hoping perch is more forgiving.

8. - Top - End - #8

Cooking is a progressive thing, like skateboarding. You just have to do it to get better at it, and you have to get confident with the basics before you can nail the tricks.
    Golem Arcana

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Clearly you're a much better cook than I am, since I've ruined more fish than I care to think on. Primarily salmon, which I can't seem to get right no matter what I do. Here's hoping perch is more forgiving.
    Salmon's one of those things that has a fairly slim margin between 'done' and 'overdone'.. although personally I find it's still pretty edible at 'overdone', especially topped with a nice squeeze of lemon and/or butter that both helps enhance the flavor and covers for some of the moisture and smooth fatty texture that gets cooked out when you let it go too long.

Have you tried it with something to shield it from direct heat? Baking in a parchment bag or foil packet, or grilling in foil? Keeping fish covered away from direct exposure to the cooking heat does a lot to keep the natural moisture and texture of it intact, and should be a lot more forgiving of leaving it in the heat too long.