New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XL+1: Gojira!

Heya, I got some questions

1: are we using these equivalencies for elemental damage? acid=earth, cold=water, lightning=air, fire=fire?

2: can a creature that has taken class level still advance his type HD ? example a 2HD, CR1 wolf , take one level of fighter (CR2), then advance the animal HD to 4 to increase it's size to large? or do the "advancing monsters" always have to happen before any class level?

3: kindaish the same, but with templates, inherited template will obviously be applied from when the creature "was born", but acquired templates can be applied at any point of time, right?

4: do we have to add 1 to the cr from our usage of the elite array?

5: is bumping up one size category from adding HD +1 cr for every size category, or only when we're starting from medium?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    2: can a creature that has taken class level still advance his type HD ? example a 2HD, CR1 wolf , take one level of fighter (CR2), then advance the animal HD to 4 to increase it's size to large? or do the "advancing monsters" always have to happen before any class level?
    No, you can't.

4: do we have to add 1 to the cr from our usage of the elite array?
    No.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have an out-of-wack idea, nobody will expect my build (or the Spanish Inquisition) - let me participate
    here is my Signature stuff

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

5: is bumping up one size category from adding HD +1 cr for every size category, or only when we're starting from medium?
    I hope it's only medium—>large, because that's the assumption I made and I don't really want to rework it because
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I've got a build in mind. I can't decide if it's brilliant or stupid.
    Okay, the mechanical side is definitely stupid in the sense that I was stupid for trying to pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JyP View Post
    I have an out-of-wack idea, nobody will expect my build (or the Spanish Inquisition) - let me participate
    Pretty sure you don't have to, like, ask permission to participate, you can just submit a build

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Managed to submit a build for this one, though not sure how well it's going to do.

The important thing is we all have fun
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

...this competition would allow me to make something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm building.

EDIT: ...the requirement that it be the base form ruined my idea. I might still post it even though it's illegal for this contest, cuz it's still neat.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-06-14 at 04:22 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38

May I kindly get a factcheck in how to count BAB and good/poor saves for creatures with more than 20 racial hit dice?

my understanding of "For all characters, please note that Racial Hit Dice do not count towards Epic Progression; use the regular progression even if the BAB ends up higher than 20." from the chair means I ignore what's written in https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm .

I did find one chart, but it's online and seems to be for pathfinder, I'd rather be pointed at some 3.5 papery thing.

Anyway, My assumptions are :

good BAB is = RHD, example 40RHD = BAB +40
    medium BAB is 3/4 HD, example 40RHD = BAB 30, plus same question about class levels as above
    poor BAB is 1/2 HD, example 40RHD = BAB 20, plus etcetera

Good saves are 2+ RHD/2 ?, so 40RHD = good save of 22
    Bad saves are RHD/3? so 40RHD = bad save of 13

If we add class levels, we simply add the BAB and saves related to that class, for example adding a first level of monk would mean HD goes to 41, BAB stays at 40 and all saves improve by 2

If we add enough class levels to gain a new feat, so at monk 2 in this example because we've reached HD 42, can we add an epic feat?

Can a creature with 21+ RHD pick all feats as epic feats?, assuming that's the base creature I mean, before adding any class levels. can a base creature with 21 RHD have Damage reduction x8, for example? (assuming it has the constitution prerequisites) it is my understanding that it doesn't go through the process of gaining one HD at a time.

we can choose feats different from those published in the statblocks, right?

I've basically never tinkered with making monsters before, sorry for the nooby questions =)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

May I kindly get a factcheck in how to count BAB and good/poor saves for creatures with more than 20 racial hit dice?

my understanding of "For all characters, please note that Racial Hit Dice do not count towards Epic Progression; use the regular progression even if the BAB ends up higher than 20." from the chair means I ignore what's written in https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm .

I did find one chart, but it's online and seems to be for pathfinder, I'd rather be pointed at some 3.5 papery thing.
    Anyway, My assumptions are :

good BAB is = RHD, example 40RHD = BAB +40
    medium BAB is 3/4 HD, example 40RHD = BAB 30, plus same question about class levels as above
    poor BAB is 1/2 HD, example 40RHD = BAB 20, plus etcetera
    That is right. For some more concrete explanation, you can look at the elder Titan for reference. It has 70 HD, and +70 BAB. However, it can still only do 4 iterative attacks. Also, it has all good saves, which amounts to 2+HD/2=+37 (that's exactly what you see in reflexes, since it has 10 in Dex).

If we add class levels, we simply add the BAB and saves related to that class, for example adding a first level of monk would mean HD goes to 41, BAB stays at 40 and all saves improve by 2
    However, no. Epic progression starts as soon as you have 20 HD, counting Racial Hit dice and you take a class level. So your monk level will give you BAB+1=41 and no better saves.
    Refer to Gerti Orelsdottr, page 294 of the ELH. She has 14 Racial hit dice and 5+4 class levels, all at 3/4 BAB. Without epic progression, she would have 10+3+3=16 BAB. With epic progression on her last 3 levels, she has 10+3+0+2=15 "BAB", -1 Size, +9 Str=+23 to hit, and that's what she has.

If we add enough class levels to gain a new feat, so at monk 2 in this example because we've reached HD 42, can we add an epic feat?
    Yeah, you have more than 20 HD, so you can take Epic feats instead of normal ones.

Can a creature with 21+ RHD pick all feats as epic feats?, assuming that's the base creature I mean, before adding any class levels. can a base creature with 21 RHD have Damage reduction x8, for example? (assuming it has the constitution prerequisites) it is my understanding that it doesn't go through the process of gaining one HD at a time.
    No, you must have at least 7 normal feats. Consider that the monster was once a baby and gained its racial hit dice one by one.

we can choose feats different from those published in the statblocks, right?
    According to previous occurences of the competition, yes.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-06-18 at 03:26 PM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #40

Thank you Beni-kujaku

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    No, you can't.
    Oh, that's a bummer, it would be much more smoother/interesting "storywise" if we could sprinkle the class levels "here and there" instead of having to frontload all the "advancing HD", it makes the growing up of the creature mostly unmemorable, since it will have very little to differentiate it from an average member of its species, other than elite array and feat choice.

Are there exceptions to that? I see the dragon from last round alternated soul eater levels with advancing the dragon age category, but maybe that's special to dragons?

I do agree with you / the reasoning for first doing all the "Improving monsters" and only after that adding class levels, for one to do otherwise would make a mess when RHD pushes into epic.

But it'd be a more interesting creature if it had the class levels added here and there.

Oh well

edit, to quote : "However, no. Epic progression starts as soon as you have 20 HD, counting Racial Hit dice and you take a class level. So your monk level will give you BAB+1=41 and no better saves.
    Refer to Gerti Orelsdottr, page 294 of the ELH. She has 14 Racial hit dice and 5+4 class levels, all at 3/4 BAB. Without epic progression, she would have 10+3+3=16 BAB. With epic progression on her last 3 levels, she has 10+3+0+2=15 "BAB", -1 Size, +9 Str=+23 to hit, and that's what she has."

the new question : if I'm adding one class level to 23 Racial hit dice, do I gain 1 epic BAB, because I'm adding a"1st epic level", and so since I'm adding an "even level", it's the BAB that increases, or do I gain 1 epic saves, since I'm going from 23 to 24 HD, and thus gaining an "odd level" ?
    Last edited by ciopo; 2021-06-19 at 03:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XL+1: Gojira!

I've seriously been dragging my heels on this, but still hoping to have my entry wrapped up by the deadline.

I was contemplating two entries, but I'll be more than happy getting one in.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

new deadline july 11
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Sweet. I'll commit to getting my abomination done by then. (Is it just me, or did this whole month seemed to go by really fast?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    new deadline july 11
    Thanks. And sorry to keep being "that guy"

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Sweet. I'll commit to getting my abomination done by then. (Is it just me, or did this whole month seemed to go by really fast?)
    Definitely not just you.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

the new question : if I'm adding one class level to 23 Racial hit dice, do I gain 1 epic BAB, because I'm adding a"1st epic level", and so since I'm adding an "even level", it's the BAB that increases, or do I gain 1 epic saves, since I'm going from 23 to 24 HD, and thus gaining an "odd level" ?
    This is your 24th HD, so you gain +1 save, no attack bonus, and a feat.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    This is your 24th HD, so you gain +1 save, no attack bonus, and a feat.
    Actually, this comp has specific rules that go against the general Epic progression rules:

For all characters, please note that Racial Hit Dice do not count towards Epic Progression; use the regular progression even if the BAB ends up higher than 20.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I should also be able to get my monster in by the new deadline.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

1st build submitted ! Now that it's done, let me check this kaiju template
    here is my Signature stuff

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

One last cross-post, there's certainly a healthy group of active competitions here all modeled after the OG IC. Here's a Google doc that I made, I am freely releasing it, that neatly serves as a virtual WYSIWYG editor for the bbcode tables for these sorts of competitions. Feel free to make a copy for yourself or link it as you like.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGuy

I'm having computer issues. I don't want to do the reveal from my phone, so builds will be posted whenever I get things sorted
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm having computer issues. I don't want to do the reveal from my phone, so builds will be posted whenever I get things sorted
    Do we have time until at least 23:59 MST Sunday July 11th?

I submited my builds.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-07-07 at 07:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hey wait wait what

You said

new deadline july 11
    Is that no longer the case??

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NotInventedHere View Post
    Hey wait wait what
    Is that no longer the case??
    I can read jdizzlean's words in two different ways. There are good one and bad one. Bad one is whenever from now, good one - whenever from "after computer problem solving".

Anyway, jdizzlean, I wish your computer good health!
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-07-07 at 07:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Build is submitted, time to check out kaiju.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55

DruidGuy

computer issues sorted. i'm dumb and listed the deadline on a workday, so i'll move it to July 14th, 0700 hours MST. give just a little extra time to anyone finishing up. Got a lot of great builds in my inbox I have likewise not had time to review, so this should be a great round!
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

How are the entries looking? I'm on the fence about whether mine is too cheesy to even bother with, but I'll put it together if we want/need more entries.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-07-13 at 02:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

How are the entries looking? I'm on the fence about whether mine is too cheesy to even bother with, but I'll put it together if we want/need more entries.
    Previous post says "lot of great builds". Although honestly, I wouldn't worry about being cheesy. It's a kaiju round, most any path to being colossal all the time basically locks you into being a "big numbers" brute build. It can only get so bad without serious access to some kinda subsystem.

Personally, there's a particular cheesy build I'm hoping shows up (primarily because it wouldn't just be a big numbers brute, but rather a caster that happens to be colossal due to questionable feat interpretations). I considered doing it as my backup build but I figured somebody else already was and had put way more time into it than I could, so hopefully I get to see someone else's fun nonsense take on it.

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I highly doubt that it's cheesier than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I did not get a full build in, but the idea I had was a lovely aged fondue.

I’ll post the build stub after the reveal (it was only complete at CR 20, which was part of the reason I did not bother making a full entry out of it).
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-14 at 04:08 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Excited to see the wacky builds on display.

EDIT: I think there was a miscommunication in the date/time maybe?
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-07-14 at 07:17 PM.

My Homebrew