New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokepunk: Somar. Recruitment, Worldbuilding, and OOC

Look, choosing randomly is...

Are people still interested in this? Am I doing something wrong?

Every time I try to run these games I keep expecting more engagement than I get and any attempt to spark more doesn't work.

Do you all still want to do this?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-10-01 at 12:02 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, we want to keep playing

Its just that you put us in a situation where there is no clear solution. We don't want to particularly fight the phantump, they just want to live in their forest and don't like outsiders, no reason to fight them. while not really giving any direction to go other than "away from the phantump" because they're attacking.

So....unless we find a compass left by someone or something, what direction do we go?

like just being lost in the woods isn't really a plot unless there is a way to solve the problems we have. like are you going for a survival thing? what?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #93

There are two options: survival in the woods and try to head to town.

when this came up earlier, everyone said they didn't really have a preference for one over the other.

Everything since then has been trying to get things moving but... Nobody responded in a way to get things moving that involved progressing the story..

So just...

I don't actually know how to respond to Mcerberus's post beyond "it's too dark to see the end."

One road leads deeper into the forest, the other leads toward town. Since nobody expressed a preference just...

I'm clearly doing something wrong. This game might have been a mistake.

So just... Pick a direction. Just pick a direction, we'll handle it majority vote. I have something for both.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Look, choosing randomly is...

Are people still interested in this? Am I doing something wrong?

Every time I try to run these games I keep expecting more engagement than I get and any attempt to spark more doesn't work.

Do you all still want to do this?
    I think it may be good to turn this around.

You seem to not have your expectations met, what do you think is missing?
    Are things going too slow and rambling, so we should add a bit more structure?
    Were you just wanting to get the intro out so we can explore the setting?

Less chat more go?
    If you're not okay with the pacing or the like it's really okay.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #95

With a game like this, there's not really supposed to be a GM. People take turning telling stories, with the other players contributing.

right now it just kind of feels like I'm stringing people along from point to point and my attempts to get a bit more engagement...

Like, I don't think I have the words to explain it, but things like "okay, does anyone know how to tell direction by the stars" was shots in the dark to try and get people to make a decision and...

Most of all I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Like that if I was doing things right, people would b more active and engaged in the story.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Okay.

So. I have another idea.

one of the rocket grunts that fell here could have a compass and map and we have to get those from them. why do they have those? I dunno, it seems to be standard equipment for trainers in pokemon world, perhaps this particular grunt is just prepared.

HOW they are gotten is of course, up to whatever solution we like.

Also, Rater we were operating under the assumption that you had a specific idea or plot for this forest, if you don't just tell us in the first place and that we can make up whatever to get out of it or whatnot.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-10-02 at 01:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

I have a plot. Two actually. It's just, nobody seems to be taking the hooks.

You can try to try your luck heading to town or you could try to survive in the woods but...

But like, everything I do to push in one direction or the other tends to result in... Nothing.

Nobody showed any particular interest in either and nothing I do to try to make things move along ends up sparking the kind of engagement I...

I may have gone into this with the wrong expectations and I might just be bad at running these kinds of games.

I don't want o just come out and say what everything is and what you should do, bcuase that would amount to railroading and freeform games are supposed to have a sandbox element and regardless just coming out and saying OOC that "the phantumps are the ghosts of kids who died int he facility you just came from and engaging with them the right way might have given you a hint about how the Megacorp operates in the forest" breaks immersion.

At the same time, I don't want to just have Violet doing things and that being the primary means of advancing the plot. Then it stops being a game and starts being the story of my OC and these other guys who occasionally contribute.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, yell if this comes off as rude, but my feedback is:

Like, I don't think I have the words to explain it, but things like "okay, does anyone know how to tell direction by the stars" was shots in the dark to try and get people to make a decision and...
    The issue with this line specifically was that Raziere/Rachel had already asked something similar and the response was a muddled ‘no, not really.’ No navigational skills to be had. So repeating the question doesn’t help much, unless Violet was supposed to be hinting at something we were overlooking which sounds like was not the case.

You can try to try your luck heading to town or you could try to survive in the woods but...
    If this is what the right/left path is for, there is absolutely no indication in game of this whatsoever. The forest paths are featureless voids. Maybe the party can dimly see lights at the end of the town path? Or footprints that are obviously human and not corporate (child sized, say, or hiking boot prints when the facility staff all wear dress shoes). The forest branch of the path is more overgrown? Or Rogue can smell humans/Pokémon down one or the other? Do we hear anything? Strange noises down one or unnatural silence?

Thus, there is nothing to make a decision on because functionally the paths are exactly the same, from the perspective of the PCs. Whereas if we found, say, a child’s lost shoe down the left path, with maybe some crying in the distance, we could at least argue in-character ‘do we try to help the kid and risk getting captured or do we go the other way to avoid being found?’ It doesn’t matter if the kid turns out to be a Misdreavus with a sense of humor or the crying is a PoBURI trap later on, it gives us information to decide with.

If it comes down to it, I gave Pendra the hydroponics background with the intention that she’d be able to recognize edible plants and not be completely useless in a survival situation.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah its kind of why I wanted to ask the Phantump a way out in the first place since we could talk to them and they have a better idea of the lay of the land than us, and when they said no, the only way I could see to really force the issue would be try to and beat them with force which would be kind of in character for someone like Rachel but likeability with the rest of the party and doing stuff like that is always tricky to balance, especially when the phantump just want to be left alone.

10. - Top - End - #100

So I listed out the options, find shelter in the forest or try to haad for town, one person responded that they did not care either way and nobody else responded at all.

Rachel goes off, finds a Ghost, and well... I had it act the way that the ghost of a child murdered in the forest and so pissed off that it can't think rationally would normally react.

It's a pokemon that approached you first as you were going into the wilderness, attacking it is a perfectly valid response. It is the traditional response in this situation.

If you'd attacked it, or if you'd kept trying to reason with it, eventually you'd have gotten something out of it.

And pretty much every post I made since then was just... Trying anything to give people an excuse to get going without it feeling like it was railroading.

The reason you don't know which route on the road is which is becuase, well, I've got one "don't care" and everyone else didn't respond either way. So I whittled it down to a binary choice just so that we'd be able to get going.

It doesn't matter now, you've all chosen one of the paths, we can try and get moving.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

So I listed out the options, find shelter in the forest or try to haad for town, one person responded that they did not care either way and nobody else responded at all.
    That’s not precisely correct, the response to ‘shelter in the forest?’ was ‘find food first’ and once that was accomplished we got attacked by Trevenant.

It's a pokemon that approached you first as you were going into the wilderness, attacking it is a perfectly valid response. It is the traditional response in this situation.
    Rater, would you go attack something when you’re already lost, have nothing in the way of medical supply if you get hurt, and have no type advantage and no immediate backup? That means no Pokémon Center, no Potions/Berries, and no intimidation factor, and no one to drag you to safety if you get in over your head.

A Pokémon trainer doing battle with their Pokémon doesn’t usually do the fighting themselves and thus can ignore most of those problems. Also the primary reasons to fight wild Pokémon are 1.) to capture them (not an option for us, no Pokéballs!) or 2.) to make the existing Pokémon team stronger which wasn’t a stated goal for anyone at this point.

EDIT: In case it’s not clear, I’m in favor of ‘send the scout first!’
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-10-07 at 08:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

The Gate is like...

You ever see a really tall chainlink fence? Two regular chainlinks "doors" held together by a metal pole.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

I admit I was hoping for more activity from the rest of the party by now…but okay.

The Gate is like...

You ever see a really tall chainlink fence? Two regular chainlinks "doors" held together by a metal pole.
    Okay, so not electrocuted or anything? Did I notice any security, locks, etc?

My tentative plan is to climb over it, but if there are obvious reasons why I shouldn’t, then I won’t. And if for some reason the door is unlocked and completely unguarded I have no issue with just opening it and walking out either.

14. - Top - End - #104

So I can't actually post anything until I get a response from Rachel.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #105

MCerberus, are you still with us?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #106

Sorry work is pulling OT because the boss promised on a timeline he didn't tell the project team about
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Sorry work is pulling OT because the boss promised on a timeline he didn't tell the project team about
    Oh yuck, good luck!

18. - Top - End - #108

Could I get a randomly determined number from 1-100 from each of you?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #109

[roll=mystery]1d100[/roll]

Filling up space
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

huh, the freeform forum doesn't do rolls. weird.

my number: 53

21. - Top - End - #111

google's rng says 88
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

59 from random.org.

23. - Top - End - #113

Raz if I don't get a response from Rachel in 24 hours I'm going to progress the scene.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Something we might want to look into is to find a TM for Secret Power - then we could make a base of operations for whatever we decide to do down the line.

25. - Top - End - #115

Raz? You still interested in this?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Yes I am, sorry.

got caught up in other things.

27. - Top - End - #117

Raz we're waiting on you I think.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #118

So... This didn't turn out the way I pictured. I might just be bad a this kind of story.

Would you all be interested in finishing out this scenario, and then time-skipping to an end game?

And then... Either end it there, or time skip: The corporation is disbanded, the original character are wealthy do to pain and suffering payouts, but the tech gets appreciated, perfected, and dismantled resulting in a less intense but more traditional punk/post-punk setting becuase people think it's cool and/or useful.

Current characters are either retired or mentors for new characters.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, come on. Rater. your giving up here. I don't want to give up playing Rachel. not accepting that.

you seem to have trouble coming up with things on the fly, and adjusting to how players react to things, as well as figuring out enemies to fight. me, I'd shake things up by having my rockets burst in trying to steal pokemon from this center, figuring they could steal more pokemon so they could take the pokemon hybrids. this does a few things:

1-makes a problem that needs solving by the players
    2-makes it clear that ignoring the problem will only have bad consequences down the road (just running away is the easy option but would allow the rockets to have stronger 'mons later which would be bad)
    3- if players succeed at saving the pokemon center, it gives the rescued Nurse Joy a reason to be on their side, thankful for them saving her and the pokemon. given that Joys are canonically all a family that love taking care of pokemon, its even possible she will let other Joys know about us somehow so that ALL pokemon centers could become some measure of "safe".

similarly back in the forest, we could've have the rockets attack the forest pokemon but be saved by us to get their trust. maybe, but I wanted to see what you had in mind before trying to suggest anything to help.

similarly we could have one of the results of the mad scientist npc I came up with come storming in mad with power to attack the center as well, if the rockets are too challenging while also being a plothook of how another pokemon hybrid showed up that wasn't in the lab with them.

there are ways to make this work, you just don't seem to know them.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm up for whatever, just let me know.

I will note if we don't get a win scenario right away, Pendra's going to vanish into the sea and accidentally spawn a bunch of mermaid legends when she rescues people from sinking ships and the like.