New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokepunk: Somar. Recruitment, Worldbuilding, and OOC

It's not that I want to quit it's more that I thought a retool might...

...Also if I'm gonna be honest I've got the mental image of an adolescent girl with Eevee mods whose goal is to find a water stone and hms for surf, dive, whirlpool, and waterfall because she wants to be a deep-sea explorer when she grows up. Like as just a plausible thing that could happen at some point later in the timeline.

Anyway, I think I figured something else out.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not that I want to quit it's more that I thought a retool might...

...Also if I'm gonna be honest I've got the mental image of an adolescent girl with Eevee mods whose goal is to find a water stone and hms for surf, dive, whirlpool, and waterfall because she wants to be a deep-sea explorer when she grows up. Like as just a plausible thing that could happen at some point later in the timeline.

Anyway, I think I figured something else out.
    well if you really want the retool enough I can't really stop you, its just that me personally, Rachel hasn't developed naturally enough on her own as a character for me to see where she is going, so her being timeskipped now would mostly just involve her leaving the group because she'd believe they wouldn't want to associate with a former Rocket any longer than necessary....and get captured by Lizzie and her gang and taken back to Somar's Rocket HQ to be used to learn how this hybridization works. she'd essentially end up back at square one but with Rockets rather than the corporation, and emerge years later in a Nidoqueen form, trying to escape from them, having changed little other than being angrier and more willing to be forceful with a bigger form that can't be stealthy. meanwhile the Rockets would've grown in power and have hybrids of their own.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #123

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Somarian Gyarados.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #124

So according to Legends: Arceus, all Pokemon have the ability to shrink to an incredibly tiny size and Pokeballs took advantage of this before digitalization came into effect.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

So according to Legends: Arceus, all Pokemon have the ability to shrink to an incredibly tiny size and Pokeballs took advantage of this before digitalization came into effect.
    Yeah that actually explains why they'd be called pocket monsters in the first place, its something thats characteristic to all of them and thus distinguishes them from other life forms. it might also explain how any pokemon could jump out of tall grass or wherever: they shrink down to hide then when they see someone come by they suddenly leap out while enlarging themselves or enlarge themselves to defend themselves from being accidentally stepped on, thus explaining all random encounters.

this might actually be one of the best pieces of worldbuilding for pokemon ever. and people don't talk about it because its like any other biology fact: its forgotten about with the new system and biology is complex so it makes sense if not everyone knows they can do that.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah that actually explains why they'd be called pocket monsters in the first place, its something thats characteristic to all of them and thus distinguishes them from other life forms. it might also explain how any pokemon could jump out of tall grass or wherever: they shrink down to hide then when they see someone come by they suddenly leap out while enlarging themselves or enlarge themselves to defend themselves from being accidentally stepped on, thus explaining all random encounters.

this might actually be one of the best pieces of worldbuilding for pokemon ever. and people don't talk about it because its like any other biology fact: its forgotten about with the new system and biology is complex so it makes sense if not everyone knows they can do that.
    And at least so far I have not seen a single 'mon do this except for through balls. Then again the deepest lore says that the guy who invented pokeballs found this effect by drugging a primeape to high heaven in an attempt to not get his face beaten in.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    And at least so far I have not seen a single 'mon do this except for through balls.
    I know you don't mean it, but doubt like that still feels like a raincloud over my parade man.

though I mostly meant older gens when I was talking about the grass thing.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

What’s the wording on that? Because I feel like that’s something that should have come up before this. Unless it’s less ‘ability’ in the sense of ‘behavior or activity the Pokémon can perform at will’ and more physical trait like water bending in response to an electrical current.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    What’s the wording on that? Because I feel like that’s something that should have come up before this. Unless it’s less ‘ability’ in the sense of ‘behavior or activity the Pokémon can perform at will’ and more physical trait like water bending in response to an electrical current.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof Laventon
    "you'll recall of course, that pokemon possess the odd power to shrink themselves down. With the pokeballs we craft, we can make use of that power to catch them."
    like we don't know why or how, the scientist just says they can and that the old pokeballs exploit that somehow. its kinda vague.

10. - Top - End - #130

I know you don't mean it, but doubt like that still feels like a raincloud over my parade man.

though I mostly meant older gens when I was talking about the grass thing.
    Didn't mean it, was mostly looking for a path to bring up the completely insane original lorebook where the shrinking was discovered by just applying all the drugs to a primape.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Question for Rater: Can Rogue and Pendra hear the conversation?

12. - Top - End - #132

Not if you stay in the front of the center but if you follow into the back you'd get there boefre it started.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

That Eevee knowing immediately that we could understand her is a mite suspicious, yes.

EDIT:

"There are no eggs here, this is a Pokemon Center not a nursery."
    I want it on record that I tried to end this peacefully and with a minimal amount of property damage, but this idiot had to go and open his mouth.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2022-02-08 at 09:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

I'm just gonna say it: "Eggs" is code for something.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Oh right, I kind of didn't focus on the meaning of that code because I've seen the Psychonaut games and Rachel is more focused on making sure the gyarados stays unconscious, so I know Rater is just repurposing that code for something, I just don't know what. though if I had to guess, the eggs are probably pokeballs probably with pokemon in them, the gyarados is supposed to gather them and then take them somewhere. its the only thing in the center that would make sense for anyone to take with that specific code (medicines might be valuable enough to take but that seems more like something you'd rob a Pokemart for).

I'll only say it IC if no one else will though. Rachel's a former criminal thug, she ain't thinking like a detective yet.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"Get back, do you have any of the berries left"
    Pendra has a Pecha Berry but she’s not in the room ATM.

On the flip side, we’re inside a Pokémon Center, maybe there are Antidotes somewhere accessible???

17. - Top - End - #137

Kareah, two things.

1: The hallway is linear and you weren't that far away. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that, but... Its' most definitely the same nurse. She might not have even moved from where you were to answer the question.

2: Please do not assume control of characters, even minor characters, that I am operating without clearing it with me.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Kareah, two things.

1: The hallway is linear and you weren't that far away. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that, but... Its' most definitely the same nurse. She might not have even moved from where you were to answer the question.

2: Please do not assume control of characters, even minor characters, that I am operating without clearing it with me.
    Then don’t leave me with no response so I don’t have to auto myself. And clarify in advance next time, especially given I’d specified I was carrying the civilian out of sight:

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Once she is out of sight of the mask monster, Pendra looks for a Chansey to hand the nurse off to and asks it for directions for the kitchen.
    And said I was out of the room here.

19. - Top - End - #139

Okay, point, I missed that, but...

Pokemon centers aren't that big. Even in the anime they're the part that you see in the games, a couple rooms for trainers to sleep in, and a small ER for pokemon who are too injured for the normal treatments.

Sometimes in the anime you'll see a very large Center but I recall that happening all of once.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes in the anime you'll see a very large Center but I recall that happening all of once.
    honestly, pokecenter size and layout depends on the plot.

like I've watched more pokemon anime than most people, we never see the full layout of a pokemon center, some have rooms and facilities that don't make sense for others to have in some episodes, like just from first season alone, there are differences between the one in gringy city, the one that they go to heal charmander in, the one in viridian where Ash first meets Team Rocket, I don't recall them having a consistent layout, its just whatever looks good and whatever works for the current plot. I wouldn't assume what is shown is all there is, because thats assuming Ash and his companions are the only trainers in the world.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Pokemon centers aren't that big. Even in the anime they're the part that you see in the games, a couple rooms for trainers to sleep in, and a small ER for pokemon who are too injured for the normal treatments.

Rater that kind of thing needs to be in the in game description. You’re basically expecting your players to read your mind. That doesn’t work.

honestly, pokecenter size and layout depends on the plot.

like I've watched more pokemon anime than most people, we never see the full layout of a pokemon center, some have rooms and facilities that don't make sense for others to have in some episodes, like just from first season alone, there are differences between the one in gringy city, the one that they go to heal charmander in, the one in viridian where Ash first meets Team Rocket, I don't recall them having a consistent layout, its just whatever looks good and whatever works for the current plot. I wouldn't assume what is shown is all there is, because thats assuming Ash and his companions are the only trainers in the world.
    Also this. It would need, bare minimum, at least as much infrastructure as a real-world veterinarian or hospital, plus the stuff specific to Pokémon. Do we ever see Pokémon Center bathrooms? A break room for staff? I don’t recall a janitorial closet, though I allow it’s been a while since I watched the show.

22. - Top - End - #142

I'm posting mostly to avoid losing the thread but, again, I'm open to suggestions for what to do next.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

okay lets see.....

I don't want to attack with the Rockets just yet given that haven't really had enough time to properly rest, just go from one thing to another.

I have no idea what your doing with the Gym Leader. maybe explain what his goals and motivations are specifically, in character?

the thing with Stanwix will take time....

I think what I'd suggest is the Gym Leader explaining what their goal/motivation is and why they are okay with us, as a start. from there it kinda depends. if you want to emphasize the being hunted by authorities part, have some corporate thugs come by tomorrow asking if they seen any big weird pokemon around. if we're focusing on investigating the mystery of the strange gyarados, I'd say have the Gym leader give us a few leads to look into it further, if we want to just travel for now and encounter things as we go classic pokemon style, just rest up then head out IC tomorrow to encounter whatever strange situation they get into whatever town they end up in next, there is a lot of directions you can go, these are just examples.

like you might have a combination of corporate thugs coming to try and catch us AND leads on the weird gyarados which gives us a destination and a reason to not stay here long. maybe there is a lead on something completely different you want to introduce that the gym leader can tell us about.

though maybe I should've made a character with a stronger motivation since you seem to not have much of an idea about the plot, which requires PCs to set their own goals so that they can make the plot. none of us seem to have any particular goals right now to pull us in a certain direction and you don't seem to have any particular goals in mind in the short term. thus I think the best thing I can do is give Rachel a goal now that she has a chance to think about something other than survival/hiding.

24. - Top - End - #144

Would it be a good time for the rocket goons to run across a few pawns heroic league trainers out doing heroic adventures?

Rogue will pretty much just try and figure out what's going on with his brain and if nothing immediately sticks out stay with the group if possible. If we need a time-skip and the gym leader is friendly, training montage?

Depending on how much it wasn't able to be covered up, the explosion could get the attention of whatever remains of Flare, Galaxy, and whatever fills the underworld power vacuums in regions. Maybe even some trainers from regions that aren't so corrupt want to know what's up.

maybe the powers-that-be try to get ahead of this X-com2 style by announcing that it was a new gene therapy saving out PC's from terminal diseases or some other lie.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2022-04-13 at 01:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

maybe the powers-that-be try to get ahead of this X-com2 style by announcing that it was a new gene therapy saving out PC's from terminal diseases or some other lie.
    I will point out in Pendra’s case that isn’t a lie.

26. - Top - End - #146

Kareah, I'm waiting on you IC.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Kareah, I'm waiting on you IC.
    I don’t have anything meaningful to add.

28. - Top - End - #148

I apologize for having so little after so long. I keep second-guessing myself on what you all may or may not engage with.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I apologize for having so little after so long. I keep second-guessing myself on what you all may or may not engage with.
    Easy solution to that:
    make them all plot hooks, and throw them all out at once in way so that the players will decide which one they want to pursue IC. you'll never know what players will engage with, so don't try to predict it and just lay all it all out on the table instead of going with one hook or plot or another.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Easy solution to that:
    make them all plot hooks, and throw them all out at once in way so that the players will decide which one they want to pursue IC. you'll never know what players will engage with, so don't try to predict it and just lay all it all out on the table instead of going with one hook or plot or another.
    Very much this. And if it’s something major, throw more than one hook.