New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Why did space sci fi had such a hard time in the 2010s?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...But why?

Having the humans around for the Rachni wars is pointless because the Krogan are still the only ones who can take the fight to their toxic planets. Not even the Turians were around for that, which is what made the Salarian decision to uplift the Krogan so necessary (and desperate/shortsighted.) And if you have the humans show up during the Krogan Rebellions, it dilutes the impact of the First Contact War, as now you have Turians fighting a war on two fronts instead of stumbling across us during relative peacetime. This makes their eventual collaboration on making the Normandy less meaningful, if it even still happens. Not to mention humans being around for the Krogan Rebellions means they would pick a side, which undermines humans' neutrality on the Krogan question later and makes Shepard harder for Wrex/Wreav to trust.

I'm not against changing continuity for an adaptation either. But when your changes fray the fabric of the setting and create more inconsistencies and problems than they resolve, you need a really really good reason to have them, and "Rachni Wars/Krogan Rebellions but with humans running around" isn't.
    *shrug* As you like.

My overall point stands though - using the existing history is pointless, because there's basically none of it worth telling if you insist on having humans around (and a TV series would for the reasons stated earlier). The First Contact War is more like the First Contact Skirmish, and then not much notable happens until the events of Mass Effect.

A Mass Effect TV series either tells the events of the games (which we all know by heart at this point) or you retcon the hell out of the timeline. That's your two options. Well, I suppose you could create a Mass Effect: Andromeda series instead, but nobody wants that.

As much as I love Mass Effect, I'd much prefer a Sci-Fi Space opera be set in an original universe that's designed with TV in mind. Heck, that goes for the games too. I'd much rather see "Mass Effect, but it's a new IP" over Mass Effect 4.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    *shrug* As you like.

My overall point stands though - using the existing history is pointless, because there's basically none of it worth telling if you insist on having humans around (and a TV series would for the reasons stated earlier). The First Contact War is more like the First Contact Skirmish, and then not much notable happens until the events of Mass Effect.
    ...Is this a joke? The Skyllian Blitz? The Torfan Raid? Saren and Anderson? The Illusive Man's origin? Even sci-fi horror set on Akuze? All take place before the games, and entire novels and comics have been written about this stuff. They can all be meaty stand-alone sci-fi stories in their own right. You could even do smaller vignettes like Dr. Saleon, Zaeed's betrayal, or one of Kasumi's many capers. There's a lot of story to explore in the galaxy before ME1 takes place, without delving into ancient history.

A Mass Effect TV series either tells the events of the games (which we all know by heart at this point) or you retcon the hell out of the timeline. That's your two options.
    Wrong, see above.

As much as I love Mass Effect, I'd much prefer a Sci-Fi Space opera be set in an original universe that's designed with TV in mind. Heck, that goes for the games too. I'd much rather see "Mass Effect, but it's a new IP" over Mass Effect 4.
    Prepare to be disappointed I guess
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-06-10 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

If you want something that's got a little bit of the feel of Mass Effect, and a little bit of the feel of Firefly, read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

With regard to Mass Effect, it's perhaps worth recalling that they actually made an animated Mass Effect film - Mass Effect: Paragon Lost - all the way back in 2012. Though not actively terrible, it was an utterly bland and forgettable production. It's a lesson that having a solid IP as support doesn't really do all that much on its own. A good story is essential, and stories designed for games continue to struggle mightily in conversion to TV and Film. The very best video game adaptations still top out at 'okay, that was fun.'

In any case, Mass Effect is a high-action franchise that would have to be extremely heavy on the visual effects, which punches up the costs into the stratosphere. Doubly so when you consider that essentially all of the major non-human species would have to be done using motion capture or full-on CGI construction.

The ideal space-based science fiction adaptation has no aliens, takes place almost entirely indoors and shows space as little as possible, doesn't involve a lot of outlandish tech, and has a minimal number of high-intensity action sequences.

The Three-Body Problem, for example, fits basically all of these criteria (at least for the critical first book which has to come in lower budget) and that's probably why Netflix is currently producing an adaptation helmed by Benioff and Weiss of Game of Thrones fame (and infamy).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #35
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    With regard to Mass Effect, it's perhaps worth recalling that they actually made an animated Mass Effect film - Mass Effect: Paragon Lost - all the way back in 2012. Though not actively terrible, it was an utterly bland and forgettable production. It's a lesson that having a solid IP as support doesn't really do all that much on its own. A good story is essential, and stories designed for games continue to struggle mightily in conversion to TV and Film. The very best video game adaptations still top out at 'okay, that was fun.'
    You mean the one starring bland jock James Vega that went direct to Blu-Ray and Xbox Live because streaming was still getting off the ground? Eh, I'd say there were other factors besides the story in that one's failure.

As a comparison, consider Castlevania, which topped out considerably above 'okay.' The video game curse isn't gone completely, but streaming is clearly the model that works for this kind of cult fandom property.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The ideal space-based science fiction adaptation has no aliens, takes place almost entirely indoors and shows space as little as possible, doesn't involve a lot of outlandish tech, and has a minimal number of high-intensity action sequences.
    And now you're making me even more annoyed that there isn't a Revelation Space TV series. The book requires only a few scenes set against space, and literally one where seeing the ship is important (although the costs ramp up towards the ending with the suits and exploration of Hades). Although I suppose that the effects of the Melding Plague might increase the budget somewhat.

(I've but actually read The Three Busy Problem, because I read a plot synopsis and it sounded a bit too much like Revelation Space and I've only just finished the main trilogy of that and moved into the prequels, maybe I'll pick it up in a year or two.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.