New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Scroll Eaters

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Scroll Eaters

Are there any creatures which seek out and devour scrolls, either specifically or as part of general magic-item consumption?

I’m open to anything from all official WotC and Pathfinder material. I thought I’d come across something like this once, years ago, but it would be great to know for sure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Scroll Eaters

In earlier D&D editions there was the Bookworm, which from memory ate spellbooks and scrolls. I don't think it got an official 3.5 update. Unsure about Pathfinder. It got statted as a 3.5 hazard in Tome of Horrors (revised).

Spellgaunts (MM2 p.188) snatch items and devour their magic with a disjunctive bite. They have no particular preference for scrolls AFAIK.

Disenchanters (FF p.62) try to drain magic from items, which would include scrolls, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not specifically said to seek out scrolls, but could be easily adapted and fits the theme: the grisgol, or grimoire golem, as I like to call it. It's just a golem made of scrolls that can read itself to cast spells. I would easily envision the creator of a grisgol asking it to retrieve as many scrolls as possible and incorporate them to itself to bring them back to them.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Balhannoths (MM4) eat all kinds of magic items, which includes scrolls.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

In Pathfinder a Witch can add more spells to her spells known by feeding scrolls to her familiar.
    Last edited by Hunter Noventa; 2021-06-08 at 08:48 AM.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not a creature, but the Lorestealer Weapon of Legacy gives its wielder a limited ability to cast from scrolls by chopping them with the axe blade

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Dragon Mag 94 had the Ekrat, a kind of leprechaun living in libraries, eating paper and drinking ink, and feeding on written magic (from scrolls to explosive runes to tomes) by a 4/d, 60% success erase. Very AD&D in taste, but nicely done. Creature Catalog converted it to 3.0, though it's definitely not official content.
    Edit: CC also converted the Bookworm. Could be fun having to enlist the local ekrats to help fight a bookworm infestation in a major arcane library.
    Last edited by Ratel; 2021-06-08 at 06:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Good call, I must admit I'd forgotten all about that one. Here's some links:

Bookworm

Ekrat

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Pathfinder has the Cyphergull, a bird that can steal scrolls, eat them, and then cast the spells they contained. It's low CR but you can either buff it with templates or just transfer its ability to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

The "Not Necessarily the Monstrous Compendium" article (Dragon #156) includes a Paper Dragon, which feeds on magical inks

(#156 was the April issue )

Dweomervore (City of Splendors: Waterdeep) drains charges from magical items; if you rule Scrolls as "magical items with charges" - then yes, they would drain Scrolls too

Mostly same thing about the Power Symbiont

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also the Nishruu from MoF, and the Ghazneth from Dragon and the Cormyr novel series.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I recall seeing a mummy looking beast that was made of magic items. Used scrolls instead of bandages as wrappings.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I recall seeing a mummy looking beast that was made of magic items. Used scrolls instead of bandages as wrappings.
    That's the grisgol, a golem made from magical trash. It's been mentioned already.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonIceAdept View Post
    Balhannoths (MM4) eat all kinds of magic items, which includes scrolls.
    Nitpick: Balhannoths devour the magic from magic items, but they do not actually devour the magic item itself. So after a balhannoth is done with a scroll, it would just be a mundane piece of paper, but it wouldn't actually eat the paper.

Self Correction: In fact, I don't think they even devour the magic from magic items, but rather the latent magical energies emitted by magic items, so the magical items remain magical, but they just kinda... I dunno, huff the magic vapors off magic items?
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-06-23 at 09:04 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.