New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What is the minimum age to learn tabletop RPGS?

I'm almost 40. My friend (who I played RPG with for 20 years) wants to introduce his sons (twins), to RPGs someday and he invited me to help. They are three, going on four. Obviously, four is too young. Can kids play RPGs as soon as they can read and do basic math or is that too soon?

I'm assuming we'd plan age appropriate challenges and bad guys so no Lovecraftian horror or GoTesque adult escapades.

But where is one old enough to understand and enjoy table top RPGs, assuming we made a kid friendly campaign.

The kids really like superheroes (DC and Marvel). I understand this might be a phase and they could get bored of superheroes in a few years, but I have general notion that I could run a super hero based RPG as the Game Master.

As much as me and my friend love classic fantasy I think superheroes is probably the best bet. It's easy to come up with kid friendly villains like bank robbers and the like.

I'm thinking the twins could play heroes could play characters with whatever super powers they think are cool while their dad could be a third player playing an unpowered hero, a character similar to Batman or Nick Fury, who lacks raw might but has much wisdom, so if the twins get off track, their father (in character) can guide them back to the story.

How do you guys introduce your kids to RPGs?
    Last edited by Scalenex; 2021-06-08 at 03:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What is the minimum age to learn tabletop RPGS?

Probably depends a lot on the system. If it was something fairly rules light (if I were to introduce young kids to roleplaying, I'd probably go with something like Risus), maybe like six? Most kids are good at playing pretend, so attaching a couple of rules to that shouldn't be that hard to follow.

Me and my friends started playing when we were about eleven and while we could have benefited from someone to explain the rules to us (it probably took a couple of years until all the misunderstandings about the rules were cleared up), I think that age or a little younger should work for more complex rules.

Though at the end of the day, it probably depends most on the kids in question. I've met adults who can never wrap their head around roleplaying and I'm sure there are five-year-olds that are the RPG equivalent of Mozart.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kids can and do play make-believe before they learn how to read or count. Most can get the idea of what you do in a roleplaying game by the age of 4, so if they have an adult to serve as a game master, that's when they can start learning it.

The earliest age for independently picking up tabletop roleplaying (= where kids become able of learning the rules from a book and serving as GMs to other kids) is around 9 or 10. That's the age I started the hobby (without adult supervision or teaching), that's the age where most of my peers started it.

The way I was introduced to tabletop roleplaying games was via Cyberpunk. My classmate had found the books and wanted to run an adventure, which involved fighting the mafia, debt slavery, etc. I was introduced to fantasy gaming shortly after by another classmate who found old BECMI rules and modules and wanted to run them. This was also the where I became capable of independently installinh and operating computer games, including roguelikes and other complex games requiring a second language.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Kids can and do play make-believe before they learn how to read or count. Most can get the idea of what you do in a roleplaying game by the age of 4, so if they have an adult to serve as a game master, that's when they can start learning it.
    Eh, it depends, I think they'd learn freeform fine, I'm not convinced that they'd do well with anything mechanical. At four at least some (but possibly not all) children can read a character sheet, but possible not understand it. Yes even for very simple games.

I suspect six to eight might be a better age for most kids. Able to read enough to make their own characters, but maturity might be a factor. I think I was about ten when I learnt, which would have put my younger brothers into that age range. But there's no strict 'this old is old enough', even if a kid can get with the rules they might not have the patience for a game.

I'll note that there are games out there designed for kids. Hero Kids is apparently very good, but I've only read the First Fable book (aimed at I think running for 8 year olds). It's simple, and has since interesting ideas in it, including the idea that the players decide how risky they want combat to be (via stating how much damage will take them out of the fight, higher amounts leads to harsher penalties for being taken out*). It could do with a bit more discussion of going beyond the four provided character types (animal tamer, fairy, knight, and pirate), but searching for a similar system that fits their interests could be helpful.

* I really, really like this, and think more games could use such a system.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-06-08 at 06:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You can play tabletop rpgs (but not all of them) as soon as you can speak fluently.
    Not all tabletop rpgs involves written stuff or non trivial rules or rules the players needs to know.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-06-08 at 07:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, it depends, I think they'd learn freeform fine, I'm not convinced that they'd do well with anything mechanical. At four at least some (but possibly not all) children can read a character sheet, but possible not understand it. Yes even for very simple games.
    Children are capable of some logic and can follow spoken and visual instructions before they can read or do complex math. Mechanics are fine when they don't rely on the written word, just look at various children's games and board games. Heck, even look at children playing with Lego blocks or other construction sets. I was capable of building a whole Lego set independently from an instruction leaflet at age 4, I didn't learn to read untill 6.

The alternative is to use game mechanics designed with teaching in mind and use the game itself as vehicle for learning the reading and math skills required. That's how I learned English.

"Doing well" by adult standards isn't the point. If the kids are having fun while developing a skill, that is doing well, even if older RPG hobbyists would sneer at what the kids are doing in the game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Run brief scenarios using HeroClix and start soon. Used lots are pitifully cheap on eBay. The kids will love the toys, the dial handles the mechanics, and the dice will teach them math.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Children are capable of some logic and can follow spoken and visual instructions before they can read or do complex math. Mechanics are fine when they don't rely on the written word, just look at various children's games and board games. Heck, even look at children playing with Lego blocks or other construction sets. I was capable of building a whole Lego set independently from an instruction leaflet at age 4, I didn't learn to read untill 6.
    Now I'm suddenly curious if it would be possible to design an RPG that could be explained completely without text, in the style of instructions for Lego or IKEA furniture. Obviously it wouldn't be necessary for what's discussed in this thread, since an adult could help explain, but the idea is interesting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The alternative is to use game mechanics designed with teaching in mind and use the game itself as vehicle for learning the reading and math skills required. That's how I learned English.

"Doing well" by adult standards isn't the point. If the kids are having fun while developing a skill, that is doing well, even if older RPG hobbyists would sneer at what the kids are doing in the game.
    True, which is why I was being vague. With a specifically designed character sheet that doesn't get too detailed? I'm sure a 4 year old can handle it. Your average rules medium sheet that an adult gets easily? Not so much.

But yes, it's fully possible to teach a 4 year old to play an RPG. I think I'd still remain freeform at that age though, because who cares if be adults think an RPG needs sheets and dice. If you want to bring such elements into it I think you're right that you use it as a teaching tool, and I'd argue you still keep it incredibly freeform.

I think the real thing here is that, for to m such young kids, look to see if it's related to what they like. Are they reading and/or playing board games? Definitely go for it and user it to help them learn. Otherwise I'd worry that you'd lose the kid, but a parent knows their kid best.

I could read at 4, one of the best in my year, but an RPG would have bored me. Might not have by six, certainly not by 8.

Honestly, if you asked me how old a cold has to be to be introduced to structured roleplay I'd have said four is probably about right. Maybe get some visual aids or toys to help out, but keep it very freeform. Introduce dice if you want, but presubmit keep it as a 'if you're good you need a four or better' level, depending on the kids. But tabletop RPGs are a bigger best where I'd personally wait a couple of years. But every child is different.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Now I'm suddenly curious if it would be possible to design an RPG that could be explained completely without text, in the style of instructions for Lego or IKEA furniture. Obviously it wouldn't be necessary for what's discussed in this thread, since an adult could help explain, but the idea is interesting.
    Like this, maybe?

Golem Arcana

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, so my friends and I learned D&D (BECMI) only from the book starting on my 7th birthday...

Worked fine. I doubt we were all that RAW for a year or three.

I have taught kids (and not too bright ones) around age 9 and 10 DnD 5e (pugmire) and they were also fine. Its a lot easier if parents play with it is also easier.

Honestly for a simpler system. I'd say age 6 or so.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I ran a (very successful) D&D 5e oneshot with my nephews and nieces when they were ages ~7-10. They knew nothing before hand. They've since taken up the hobby for real, with one of them running several games for family and friends. Used pregen characters, but that's about it.

During that game, one of the younger nephews (age ~5) really really really wanted to play. So during the first game he helped me decide what the monsters would do, and in the second (with adults in the family) we let him be an awakened chipmunk. He just said what his chipmunk wanted to do (bite the zombie) and handled the mechanics. His attention span was...not enough for a full session, so he drifted in and out. But he had fun, and is now (several years later) one of my better roleplayers of that group of kids.

I'd start even at 4 with including them narratively. Asking them to help you run things (decide what monsters do, etc) non-mechanically. Get them used to thinking in that way. By 7 or so, they can learn mechanics just fine. Easier, in fact, I think, than many adults. Kids that age are sponges for information, in my experience.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I started my son on systemless gaming at 3, and on a game with an actual system at 4. He ran his first game the third session we played. My daughter has proven less interested.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    It's an interesting challenge, seeing as an RPG is a lot more open embedded. I could possibly do a simple miniatures wargame, and could definitely make a fully pictorial character sheet for an existing game (and might try a one shot where players have to create their characters via a pictorial sheet), but I'm not quite sure of a fully fledged RPG.

It's probably possible, I'm just not sure how you'd explain some of the more open ended concepts.

Heck, there's some existing symbols we can take advantage of. A bulging bicep for a strength stat, use a sword, spear, or pistol to signify weapons and a helmet for armour, spells are represented via once of the more well known magic circle designs....

While it's not a proper RPG, I think I could possibly redesign HeroQuest's instructions to include no letters or numbers, at the loss of some clarity.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quick answer, I've taught multiple 7-year-olds to play D&D 3e with greater mechanical competence than many of my college-educated adult friends played 2e.

So, 7.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I started my son on systemless gaming at 3, and on a game with an actual system at 4. He ran his first game the third session we played. My daughter has proven less interested.
    On the one hand, I'd be royally irked if a GM told me what my character did without explicit mind control or something.

On the other hand, he's four. I'll cut him some slack. :P

Awesome parenting, though!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

As there are rpgs specifically marketed as being playable by 6 year olds, I believe a sufficiently precocious 4 year old probably could learn to play with some handholding, and a bright 5 year old can probably do okay.
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Heck, there's some existing symbols we can take advantage of. A bulging bicep for a strength stat, use a sword, spear, or pistol to signify weapons and a helmet for armour, spells are represented via once of the more well known magic circle designs....
    Like this, maybe?

Golem Arcana

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Quick answer, I've taught multiple 7-year-olds to play D&D 3e with greater mechanical competence than many of my college-educated adult friends played 2e.

So, 7.
    It is not a minimum age: it is an age at which it is guaranteed there is children able to but maybe some of those could have played dnd at 6 year old.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Like this, maybe?

Remove the words and I'd have issues working some of those out. But at a very basic idea, yes.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

I was at a local con this past weekend and saw some very young children (<9) playing 5e. It really depends on the complexity of the system and the engagement from their parents and peers, but I think tabletop as a whole is doable quite early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

You are there already.

I had my daughter play several games of Amazing Tales - a very rules light RPG storytelling system for very very young kids, when she was 4. Look this up on Amazon or Google ---> Amazing Tales: A Game for Children Who Love Adventures Revised Edition (AMZ002).

The game is super heavy make believe. The little kid(s) makes whatever they want and says they are good at 3 things. The game suggests drawing and coloring a detailed picture of what your character looks like. The best thing they can do is a d12, the next is a d8, and the last is d6. Dice can range from d12 down to d4. Things they can do and are good at are left up to the child. eg (cast magic, hide, make friends, paint pictures, defend friends, dance) The child rolls all dice and succeeds on a 3+. Failure doesn't mean death, or losing. It means the story changes and the kid has to choose and make up another way to solve the issue at hand. Killer robots attack the pony princess? Make friends is at a d8 while kick'em in the head is only a d4. What does your child choose?

The party always wins. The kids can loot maim and destroy the aliens and robots that attack. This is about the story you make up with said kid.

It introduces story and storytelling, placing yourself into the shoes of a character in the story, making that character, problem solving with limited choices, if multiple kids are playing it introduces team work, role of storyteller/GM and player, and dice determining success or failure.

My daughter loved this game. My other kids are now old enough we can have a larger party.

I would suggest taking a good look at the system, there are many helpful suggestions and adventure hooks. There is also a bit more structure than I have posted about here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    On the one hand, I'd be royally irked if a GM told me what my character did without explicit mind control or something.

On the other hand, he's four. I'll cut him some slack. :P

Awesome parenting, though!
    He wanted me to be a Jedi... but he told me I was Han Solo. I played Han Solo.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It is not a minimum age: it is an age at which it is guaranteed there is children able to but maybe some of those could have played dnd at 6 year old.
    Touché. It is the minimum age that I have observed repeatedly. I can guarantee that the minimum age is at least this low.

Clearly, I failed to utilize my patented traditional verbosity, and my clarity and accuracy suffered accordingly. Brevity is, for me, the essence of "oops"
    Last edited by Quertus; 2021-06-08 at 07:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand that I might be a bit of an outlier. But i started RPGs at age 5 with 1st ed AD&D, but that was because i was already into weird kind of games (i was already making semi-rpg rules to go along with my board game it seems) and the fact i was already super into mythology and history and would be reading about either of those two subjects at any given time.

I think the hardest thing for being young is the ability to be interested in one thing for several hours at that point in your life, and somehow even though I have severe ADHD, like RPGs manage to keep my attention for some reason, LOL.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I think the hardest thing for being young is the ability to be interested in one thing for several hours at that point in your life, and somehow even though I have severe ADHD, like RPGs manage to keep my attention for some reason, LOL.
    One of the possible features of ADHD is hyperfocusing, where if something happens to catch your interest, you effortlessly focus on it for hours, losing track of time. It's also an autistic trait, I'm autistic and hyperfocus a lot.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Okay, so my friends and I learned D&D (BECMI) only from the book starting on my 7th birthday...

Worked fine. I doubt we were all that RAW for a year or three.

I have taught kids (and not too bright ones) around age 9 and 10 DnD 5e (pugmire) and they were also fine. Its a lot easier if parents play with it is also easier.

Honestly for a simpler system. I'd say age 6 or so.
    Started at 8 (1977) with the basic set. Switched to Advanced in 1980 when I started DMing (11).

It really just depends on the capabilities/maturity of the child/children in question.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

7-8 seems about the minimum. 6 seems too young. Not able to give it attention. The 7 year old I played with in pfs had quite a bit of trouble focusing on the game at first and needed someone to help her make her character (her dad did that with a little input from myself and others)

It was a lot of fun helping them play her first game. Only problem seems to be either: the kids try too often to steal the spotlight to themselves or they don't chime in due to fear of butting in on grown ups.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Things like The Secrets of Cats and Mouse Guard you can play with fairly young children. I would start at 6 or 7, but from other people here it's possible to start even younger. I would be very careful on what system I would use then.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

There are RPGs (and RPG/boardgame hybrids) designed for young children.