New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Server problems

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Server problems

Hello,

I would like to report some problems I have had with the forum today.

I've had a few 500 Server Error messages today without any additional information displayed.
    Refreshing the page solved to problem immediately. I did not check the exact time.

I also got a forum site twice with a message of
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

The first time I had this message was at 22:01 Central European Daylight Saving Time.
    The second time was about half an hour later.
    Both times, refreshing the page after about a minute resolved the problem.

The problems did not have a big impact for me, no posts lost or anything. But I wanted to let you know, in case these are hints of a bigger problem.

If you need to know more details, let me know and I will try to answer your questions.

2. - Top - End - #2

ClericGuy

Default Re: Server problems

Spoiler: This post
    Show
    I'm not sure if I am allowed to post again here. On the one hand, it would be double posting. On the other hand, I don't think it would be visible if I simply edit the post I made before.

I would be glad if a member of the team could tell me the best way to handle this in case a similar situation arises again. Should I add updates in a new post? Edit the old one? Or is there no need to report such rare problems at all?

I would like to present an update to the problems described above.
    I had no more 500s again until today. It happened twice, first time at about 22:00, the second time a bit later. Again, no big deal. Reloading solved the problem.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Spoiler: This post
    Show
    I'm not sure if I am allowed to post again here. On the one hand, it would be double posting. On the other hand, I don't think it would be visible if I simply edit the post I made before.

I would be glad if a member of the team could tell me the best way to handle this in case a similar situation arises again. Should I add updates in a new post? Edit the old one? Or is there no need to report such rare problems at all?

I would like to present an update to the problems described above.
    I had no more 500s again until today. It happened twice, first time at about 22:00, the second time a bit later. Again, no big deal. Reloading solved the problem.
    Getting 500's as you described (except I'm getting a lot of them, significantly more often than actual loads), over the last 20ish minutes or so.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I too am suddely getting the 500 Server Errors - location UK, time 9.30am UK time.

I haven't tried refresh to get rid of them, but in every case selecting back and then clicking on the link again has worked.
    The error is happening on about 50% of all links clicked to this point today.

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

I had multiple 500 server errors during the last 45 minutes. It was worse than the last times described in the first two posts. More numerous and some of them taking more than one refresh to get rid of. Also got a "server is busy" message. After one minute, this message had gone away. I still had some 500s afterwards.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I just upgraded the CPUs to Cascade Lake. Let's see how this goes.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7

I realize that this might be sensitive information and thus the probability of it being divulged is low, but Rawhide, could you give us some info on the hardware the forum uses? If not, it's okay, at least we know we are using Cascade Lake
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2021-06-21 at 07:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think a server farm may be down somewhere. I've gotten an uptick in errors on several different sites that I use over the past couple of days
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)