New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Favorite TV relationships

So my wife and I were discussing our favorite relationships on TV. Needless to say, there was some disagreement.

I've noticed that my favorite relationships tend to not be romantic in nature. Friends, enemies, family, those tend to be the relationships i enjoy the most.

My favorite 5 (in no particular order):

G'Kar and Londo from Babylon 5. Watching how their dynamic changes from enemies to allies to almost friends really seals them in. "Mollari. - Understand that I can never forgive your people for what they did to my world. My people can never forgive your people. But I - can forgive - you." That still tears me up.

Castle and Alexis from Castle. A great father/daughter relationship, made even better by the fact that she's clearly the mature one in the relationship.

Garak and Bashir from Deep Space 9. It's great watching how these two become friends despite Bashir knowing that Garak is never being truly honest with him....

Bashir" Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
    Garak "My dear Doctor, they're all true."
    Bashir "Even the lies?"
    Garak "Especially the lies."

Pete and Myka from Warehouse 13. Moving from people who can barely tolerate each other to a functional team, then to partners who love each other (without being IN LOVE with each other) makes them one of the best friendships/partnerships I've seen. You know it's solid when Myka and Pete switch bodies and upon realizing this Myka immediately apologizes for having been drinking, since Pete's a recovering alcoholic.

Zoe and Mal from Firefly. You can really tell that these two have been through hell together, and are extremely bonded as a result. In some ways it's honestly closer than Zoe's relationship with Wash.

Anyway, what are your favorite relationships?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Favorite TV relationships

First off, I would like to say that anybody who mentions Ross and Rachel of Friends probably is insane.

Second off, I agree with some of your picks. Londo/G'Kar (There was an episode with some events that could have been interpreted in a certain form with the two having gotten married, which is funny), Garak/Bashir, Zoe/Mal. Haven't seen the other shows.

Third, I would toss out:

Kirk/Spock/McCoy; Data/GeordiLaForge; Odo/Quark; Picard/Data; Worf/Martok; Kor/Kang/Koloth; KananJarrus/HeraSyndulla; Odo/KiraNerys; Sisko/KassidyYates;

&

Gus/Shawn; Lassitar/Ohara; Megatron/OptimiusPrime;
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-06-23 at 05:11 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Garak and Bashir from Deep Space 9. It's great watching how these two become friends despite Bashir knowing that Garak is never being truly honest with him....

Bashir" Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
    Bashir "Even the lies?"
    I read the first part and immediately started to reply specifically to quote what turned out to be the second part.

Garak was the best part of DS9, which was already chok full of amazing parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Gus/Shawn
    Seconded. I love Dulé Hill in everything I've seen him in, so he really just needs a good partner to make the list, but Psych did it wonderfully.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Gomez and Morticia Adams from the original show. They are such a lovely couple that is able to keep their relationship fresh for a long time.

The whole B99 squad as it is difficult to single out any one relationship out of that - each pair of characters has a specific and unique chemistry. Still, the bonding moment between Rosa, Scully and Hitchcock (sitting contest) might be my favorite (if a bit absurd) scene.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    The whole B99 squad as it is difficult to single out any one relationship out of that
    False. Terry and yogurt. Or Terry and his twin daughters. Or Terry and any of the other things Terry loves.

Terry Crews is just the best.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    False. Terry and yogurt. Or Terry and his twin daughters. Or Terry and any of the other things Terry loves.

Terry Crews is just the best.
    Terry is very intense - I give you that. But who could he ever be as close as Scully and Kelly? Besides, in terms of intensity and commitment, Terry loses to Hitchcock and Scully when you consider their relation with food. Eating a pizza heavy with cheese, when you are lactose intolerant? Running to the store and back in 12 minutes, to get garlic bread on time for the microwaved lasagna? Would Terry go as far?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Capts Hawkeye Pierce & B.J. Hunnicutt

Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Blanche Devereaux & Sophia Petrillo

John Crichton and Aeryn Sun

President Laura Roslin & Admiral Bill Adama

Chuck Bartowski & Sarah Walker

Troy & Abed (...in the morning)

Sam & Dean Winchester

Camina Drummer & Klaes Ashford

Steve Harrington & Robin Buckley

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegspiel View Post
    Major Charles Emmerson Winchester III and the Chinese musicians
    Steve Harrington & Robin Buckley
    Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson.
    Add Erica & I'd happily watch a spinoff with just those four.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

The C.O. and the company clerk, and that was true when it was Blake-Radar (movie), Blake-Radar (series), Potter-Radar, and Potter-Klinger.

Also, Sidney and whichever character was having qualms about something.

First off, I would like to say that anybody who mentions Ross and Rachel of Friends probably is insane.
    I'll argue that instead such people are likely 1) having a backwards-facing-rose-tinted-glasses moment, or 2) picking up on the relationship that was conceptually set up initially, but didn't actually get expressed/come to fruition. I remember watching it as it first came out (and promptly never since) and first half of first season the setup for a 'meant to be' style relationship was telegraphed there. Between the inevitable circling the relationship because you can't have it work out until the series ends (to circumvent Moonlighting effect, I guess), and the inevitable making-all-the-characters-awful trend that 'be more like Seinfeld' had on 90s sitcoms, and it was easy to think that Ross-Rachel were 'supposed' to be a good couple, but 'the writers just kept screwing it up*.' It reminds me of reading X-Men and thinking, 'oh, look, another writer comes in and has to do their hot take on making Cyclops screw things up and be a jerk, why can't they let him be the good leader and boyfriend he's supposed to be [despite that never actually have happened].'
    *Yes, the characters are whatever the writers make them. I'm talking about impressions.

Anyways, if we're going to nominate 90s sitcom couples, I'd say two actual good ones would be Tim and Jill of Home Improvement and Paul and Jamie of Mad About You. Both sets had a lot of plot-generating foibles and failures, but they were much less caustic, and there were significantly more 'they really do love each other' moments.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Willow and Tara
    Buffy, Willow, and Xander
    President Bartlett and Charlie
    Josh and Donna
    John Steed and Emma Peel
    Gilligan and The Skipper
    Vinnie Terranova and Frank McPike
    Andy and Barny
    Bert and Ernie
    Xena and Gabrielle
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    The C.O. and the company clerk, and that was true when it was Blake-Radar (movie), Blake-Radar (series), Potter-Radar, and Potter-Klinger.

Also, Sidney and whichever character was having qualms about something.

I'll argue that instead such people are likely 1) having a backwards-facing-rose-tinted-glasses moment, or 2) picking up on the relationship that was conceptually set up initially, but didn't actually get expressed/come to fruition. I remember watching it as it first came out (and promptly never since) and first half of first season the setup for a 'meant to be' style relationship was telegraphed there. Between the inevitable circling the relationship because you can't have it work out until the series ends (to circumvent Moonlighting effect, I guess), and the inevitable making-all-the-characters-awful trend that 'be more like Seinfeld' had on 90s sitcoms, and it was easy to think that Ross-Rachel were 'supposed' to be a good couple, but 'the writers just kept screwing it up*.' It reminds me of reading X-Men and thinking, 'oh, look, another writer comes in and has to do their hot take on making Cyclops screw things up and be a jerk, why can't they let him be the good leader and boyfriend he's supposed to be [despite that never actually have happened].'
    *Yes, the characters are whatever the writers make them. I'm talking about impressions.

Anyways, if we're going to nominate 90s sitcom couples, I'd say two actual good ones would be Tim and Jill of Home Improvement and Paul and Jamie of Mad About You. Both sets had a lot of plot-generating foibles and failures, but they were much less caustic, and there were significantly more 'they really do love each other' moments.
    I don't know, Tim was pretty much a textbook case of toxic masculinity. If they weren't dead set on every episode ending with a lesson, and the all-important Wilson, he would be an irredeemable jackass.

Also, Carl Winslow and anyone he tried to help. Reginald Veljohnson is a treasure.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGirl

Frasier and Niles Crane. The best of supporters, the best rivals. The chemistry between the actors was incredible. The show itself flagged in the last couple of seasons, but these two will always be the best.

Frasier: "Niles, I would shave my head for you."
    Niles: "A gesture which becomes less significant with each passing year."

Colonel Hogan and Colonel Klink. The bitterest of enemies, and yet, when it came down to it, Klink could always turn Hogan for help when he was in trouble.

Klink: "It would be impossible for you to steal a Tiger tank, therefore I suspect you!"

Major(Colonel) John Sheppard and Rodney McKay. Frequently annoying each other, but always there for each other when the going gets tough. Another show that kinda went downhill after its third season, but it had a lot of great relationships.

Sheppard: "You ever hear the term two heads are better than one?"
    McKay: "It's a common misconception."
    Sheppard: "Gimme the gun, I'll shoot him myself."

A couple honorable mentions: Captain Picard and Q. Perry Mason and Della Street. Maxwell Smart and Agent 99.

Bashir "Even the lies?"
    Garak was pure gold. DS9 rightly gets high praise for its characters, but I always found the regular guest characters more interesting than the regulars.

Pete and Myka from Warehouse 13. Moving from people who can barely tolerate each other to a functional team, then to partners who love each other (without being IN LOVE with each other) makes them one of the best friendships/partnerships I've seen. You know it's solid when Myka and Pete switch bodies and upon realizing this Myka immediately apologizes for having been drinking, since Pete's a recovering alcoholic.
    I, too, loved this relationship and for much the same reasons as you've mentioned here. I feel like they kinda ruined it in the last episode however.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I don't know, Tim was pretty much a textbook case of toxic masculinity. If they weren't dead set on every episode ending with a lesson, and the all-important Wilson, he would be an irredeemable jackass.
    [I should probably put in a pre-emptive caveat that I haven't revisited this one since it originally aired, so I could be very wrong]
    True, but the topic isn't which characters would be great to be around IRL, but which have compelling relationships. Jill (and Wilson) steering the ship of Tim the (clueless, goofball, toxically mascaline, frankly less mature than his kids half the time) Toolman through the rough waters of being a decent husband and father seemed to work for me. At least compared to other sitcoms at the time, most of which seemed to want to capture the Seinfeld success without recognizing the inherent difference in situation. That's why Mad About You was my main point-- they figured out how to thread the 'yep, they are neurotic' vibe without the unlikability (although it has been pointed out how many plots of even this show involved lying to your loved ones, so maybe I'm looking back at the shows of my 20s with some rose tinted glasses).

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    [I should probably put in a pre-emptive caveat that I haven't revisited this one since it originally aired, so I could be very wrong]
    True, but the topic isn't which characters would be great to be around IRL, but which have compelling relationships. Jill (and Wilson) steering the ship of Tim the (clueless, goofball, toxically mascaline, frankly less mature than his kids half the time) Toolman through the rough waters of being a decent husband and father seemed to work for me. At least compared to other sitcoms at the time, most of which seemed to want to capture the Seinfeld success without recognizing the inherent difference in situation. That's why Mad About You was my main point-- they figured out how to thread the 'yep, they are neurotic' vibe without the unlikability (although it has been pointed out how many plots of even this show involved lying to your loved ones, so maybe I'm looking back at the shows of my 20s with some rose tinted glasses).
    Fair. I may also have a lot of lingering resentment towards Tim for his relationship with Al, who also should have had a Wilson-like effect on him except Tim always let that wash over him. Come to think of it, he never really sought out Wilson until after he was already in hot water, while with Al he was starting out on top and didn't need to think about being a better person. But dang was Al a solid example of a quality role model. I envy Al's neighbors.

Also, thanks for reminding me of Mad About You. I loved that show way back when. Probably still not but I haven't seen it in decades.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oscar Madison and Felix Unger ( the Klugman/ Randall version)
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    Frasier and Niles Crane. The best of supporters, the best rivals. The chemistry between the actors was incredible. The show itself flagged in the last couple of seasons, but these two will always be the best.

Frasier: "Niles, I would shave my head for you."
    Niles: "A gesture which becomes less significant with each passing year."

Colonel Hogan and Colonel Klink. The bitterest of enemies, and yet, when it came down to it, Klink could always turn Hogan for help when he was in trouble.

Klink: "It would be impossible for you to steal a Tiger tank, therefore I suspect you!"
    I would have to agree with you about Frasier and Niles, and them with their Dad, and then Roz and Frasier, and Roz with Niles, and Daphne and Roz. Plus, Roz is probably the most cool of them.

As for the second:

Actually, I think that it is more that Colonel Klink happens to be an idiot and happens to be pretty barely squeaking by on competency, considering the sheer number of things that the group gets away with. Klink is routinely threatened with being sent to the Eastern Front, and of course, Hogan wouldn't want Idiot Klink replaced with someone more competent so he goes out of his way to show how effective and useful Klink is, so Klink never gets transferred away.

Schultz of the "I see nothink, nothink" is more smarter than Klink and very much aware of what the group are all busy doing, most or nearly all of the time. Schultz just refuses to do nothing, as long as the group can maintain a kind of plausible deniability for Schultz.

The guy playing Klink was Jewish, W.(Werner?) Kemperer/Klemperer (Close as I can remember) and never wanted Klink to win any time. Had it part of the contract for the show, after all.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGirl

Actually, I think that it is more that Colonel Klink happens to be an idiot and happens to be pretty barely squeaking by on competency, considering the sheer number of things that the group gets away with. Klink is routinely threatened with being sent to the Eastern Front, and of course, Hogan wouldn't want Idiot Klink replaced with someone more competent so he goes out of his way to show how effective and useful Klink is, so Klink never gets transferred away.

Schultz of the "I see nothink, nothink" is more smarter than Klink and very much aware of what the group are all busy doing, most or nearly all of the time. Schultz just refuses to do nothing, as long as the group can maintain a kind of plausible deniability for Schultz.

The guy playing Klink was Jewish, W.(Werner?) Kemperer/Klemperer (Close as I can remember) and never wanted Klink to win any time. Had it part of the contract for the show, after all.
    All true. I was thinking more specifically of the times when someone tries to take over Stalag 13 and Klink has to ask for Hogan's help because he knows he's an unusual prisoner. Yes, it's in Hogan's best interest, but the dynamic between them was great. Or like the times Klink wanted Hogan's advice on what to do about Frau Linkmeyer.

Werner Klemperer was also a concert violinist, it's in some ways a shame they didn't let him show off at least one of the times that Klink played the instrument.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Detective William Murdoch and Dr. Julia Ogden
    Detective William Murdoch and George Crabtree
    George Crabtree and Henry Higgins
    George Crabtree and Dr. Emily Grace

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. Loki and Sylvie
    2. The Scarecrow and Mrs. King
    3. Walter Bishop and Astrid
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"