New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Well, the trailer dropped:

I grew up watching these so I'm completely impartial, but this looks like a lot of fun.

EDIT:

Spoiler: Synopsis
    Show
    "After a cataclysmic battle between He-Man and Skeletor, Eternia is fractured and the Guardians of Grayskull are scattered. And after decades of secrets tore them apart, it’s up to Teela to reunite the broken band of heroes, and solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to restore Eternia and prevent the end of the universe."
    https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...trailer-he-man
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-06-12 at 03:19 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

"After 40 years."

SoI see we're just ignoring the existence of the last incarnation from less than 20 years ago and jesus christ I feel so old!

that aside... I am already in love with Mark Hamill's skeletor.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

That looks like a full-on Magical Boy henshin sequence for Prince Adam and I am LIVING

That Orko clip looked badass as well You have my attention Netflix.

Since they appear to be fleshing out Greyskull in this one (judging by the first spoken line in the trailer) - I wonder if we'll get some kind of lore expansion on what that is and how it relates to SheRa?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Skeletor: I CAST FIST!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

What's hilarious is looking at the cast list on Wikipedia, they got TWO Jokers (Mark Hamill AND Kevin Michael Richardson) and two Batmans as well (Dietrich Bader and Kevin Conroy)!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I don't know, I'll give it more time, but I was disappointed by the small chunk we got. Sounds like deeper voice Joker, and I was expecting a bit more. I have Skeletor's higher pitched voice burned into my brain and I was looking forward to seeing what Hamill could do with that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Seems absent of Castlevania levels of gore, so they might be going for a younger crowd. Still, I'm down.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-10 at 01:21 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh. Maybe I've watched too much anime, but this looks... generic to me. I enjoyed He-Man as a kid but this teaser isn't getting me excited.

I'm sure I'll check it out once it airs, but I' not going in with high expectations.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    Skeletor: I CAST FIST!
    Sebas Tian nods in approval

Heh im honestly not as impressed with mark hamil, as was said, skeletor sounds a bit too jokerish, but I cant tell if thats because its actually jokerish, or if its just that its mark hamil. I mean, I literally yelled out "MR ANDERSON!" in the movie theater when elrond said, "welcome to rinvendell" and the two were nothing alike aside from being the same actor. I look forward to hearing what people think about this when it comes out. It seems like they are going for a bit more EX-TREEEEEME! but so long as it isnt too far over the top it should be good.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Seems absent of Castlevania levels of gore, so they might be going for a younger crowd. Still, I'm down.
    Seems so. IMDB has it listed as TV-Y7. Over on Netflix's site itself, it is classified under the following tags: 'Kids' TV,' 'Fantasy TV Shows,' and 'Family Watch Together TV.'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, I guess that lowers the chances of there being a scene where He-Man loudly complains about Teela sucking 37 *****.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess that lowers the chances of there being a scene where He-Man loudly complains about Teela sucking 37 *****.
    In a row???

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I see Skeletor is a Bayonetta main. He truly is evil.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What the **** how did Orko take a level in badass? That’s like Enzo to Matrix amount of leveling up.
    That looked like a soul melting blast of screaming souls and he just goes “nope”
    "After 40 years."

SoI see we're just ignoring the existence of the last incarnation from less than 20 years ago and jesus christ I feel so old!

It’s a continuation of the 80s show. Hence why everyone is in their 80s costumes.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    'Family Watch Together TV.'
    That has to be code for "Dad forces bored kids to watch something that wasn't awesome when he was 5, but he has forgotten it was crap to begin with".

I realise I don't remember a gosh darned thing about HE-Man the animated series. And I must have watched it 'cause I sure did pester my parents to get the toys.

I can't wait for them to do ALF though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The original He-Man cartoon was painful. No real plots (at least in the few episodes I could tolerate). No actual characters, just toy concepts walking around. Rigid narrative formula. And to top it off we get a nice pandering preachy moral lesson at the end.

Granted, I was a tad older than its intended market at 13 or so, but even still...

I liked the Dolph Lundgren movie.

17. - Top - End - #17

My primary experience of the MoTU setting wasn't the cartoons but the books & cassettes - good for listening and reading along to.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Pretty sure the plan is to target the same kind of audience the original did, not the actual same audience who are now middle aged.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I realise I don't remember a gosh darned thing about HE-Man the animated series. And I must have watched it 'cause I sure did pester my parents to get the toys.
    (bolding mine) This was the sole purpose of this and many other cartoons including Transformers, where the cast of characters changed between seasons depending on the new toy line.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #20

"After 40 years."

Same on both accounts. XD

I'm still watching the 2002 He-Man, which is a real treat, but I guess it's problem is that it wasn't well advertised because few people remember it.

I look forward to this movie! Really hope it puts some closure to the story. If this is going to follow the 80s version of the series over the 2002 version, does that mean the possibility of Earth getting involved?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I don't know, I'll give it more time, but I was disappointed by the small chunk we got. Sounds like deeper voice Joker, and I was expecting a bit more. I have Skeletor's higher pitched voice burned into my brain and I was looking forward to seeing what Hamill could do with that.
    If it's any consolation, Alan Oppenheimer IS still lending his voice to the show. He's just doing Moss-Man this time around.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Well, the original passed me by so I only know of it from some odd sources, but frankly, this looked OK. It's not going to be highbrow entertainment, but then it doesn't have to be.

And yes, my first reaction to Orko was "whut?", but as I recall he was very powerful in his own dimension, and only had problems in this one because magic worked differently. And we don't see what happens after his brilliant manoever...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Pretty sure the plan is to target the same kind of audience the original did, not the actual same audience who are now middle aged.
    It can be both. She-Ra did this for example, and did it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It can be both. She-Ra did this for example, and did it well.
    You can get a secondary audience on a TV show, but that doesn't change who the show is aimed at. The modern She-Ra was unequivocally aimed at a 7-13 female audience just like the original.

Though I'd question exactly what proportion of She-Ra's secondary audience was 35-45 year old women who would have been the target demographic for the original show when it aired (including reruns). (Basically, it was people quite a lot like Noelle Stevenson).
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-06-11 at 12:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The original He-Man cartoon was painful. No real plots (at least in the few episodes I could tolerate). No actual characters, just toy concepts walking around. Rigid narrative formula. And to top it off we get a nice pandering preachy moral lesson at the end.

Granted, I was a tad older than its intended market at 13 or so, but even still...

Kevin Smith said something to the effect of wanting to create the spectacle that the kids who watched the original thought they were watching.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

Whereas what they were actually watching was as cheap as humanly possible.

(The backgrounds are even frequently reused from the Star Trek animated series)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    Kevin Smith said something to the effect of wanting to create the spectacle that the kids who watched the original thought they were watching.
    One could get quite a bit of mileage out of that approach. See also the D&D cartoon.

Frankly, I think the Ron Moore BSG approached the source material the same way.

28. - Top - End - #28

I actually recorded the film on vhs from my tv set when it played and watched it a lot as a kid. I have that freaking portal device tune IN MY HEAD ALL THE TIME! I dont know how they did that but the ear worm that is that tune will stay with me till the day I die. Its right up there with the pizza hut commercial on the tmnt movie vhs before the film starts.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    And yes, my first reaction to Orko was "whut?", but as I recall he was very powerful in his own dimension, and only had problems in this one because magic worked differently. And we don't see what happens after his brilliant manoever...
    That is how I remember it from the original 80s version, and the 2002 said about the same thing. It is nice to see Orko get a badass moment now and then.

Though looking at the scene again and the second angle they have of Orko, it's like he has Marvin the martian's head. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Though looking at the scene again and the second angle they have of Orko, it's like he has Marvin the martian's head. XD
    *spell fizzles*

"Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a Skeletor-shattering kaboom."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks