New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That is how I remember it from the original 80s version, and the 2002 said about the same thing. It is nice to see Orko get a badass moment now and then.
    His moment in the Ladybird book He-Man Meets The Beast, where he punches the most powerful monster in the Labyrinth on the nose, is one of the best Orko moments.

That's pretty much the only book in the series where Orko gets a major role (Prince Adam is being chased around the Labyrinth by the Behemoth, and Orko has to bring him the sword (Teela has already tried to rescue Prince Adam and failed at that point).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I realise I don't remember a gosh darned thing about HE-Man the animated series.
    I barely remember anything about it. I distinctly remember the cowardly green tiger, and I'm certain I had the toy for it. I vaguely remember Man-at-Arms, Orko, and of course, Skeletor and He-Man/Prince Adam. That's more or less it, though.

For whatever reason, Transformers and Thundercats had way more of an impact on me. He-Man, for the most part, faded from my mind.

But that doesn't matter, I'm still interested in this. I remembered even less about She-Ra then I did about He-Man, and I loved the new She-Ra, after all.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I actually never watched the cartoon, but I did have some He-Man picture books, comics and a Beast Man action figure as a little kid.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was more my jam.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-11 at 08:03 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I barely remember anything about it. I distinctly remember the cowardly green tiger, and I'm certain I had the toy for it. I vaguely remember Man-at-Arms, Orko, and of course, Skeletor and He-Man/Prince Adam. That's more or less it, though.

For whatever reason, Transformers and Thundercats had way more of an impact on me. He-Man, for the most part, faded from my mind.

But that doesn't matter, I'm still interested in this. I remembered even less about She-Ra then I did about He-Man, and I loved the new She-Ra, after all.
    I THINK I remember the general storyline being, skeletor needed to take control of castle greyskull because it was either the source of unlimited power, or the other half of the source of unlimited power which is why he was always able to put up a fight at least, he had some of that energy for himself. Like you needed both his sword and the one he-man uses to unlock it? And yeah, battlecat was a coward until hit by the energy used to transform him. Like, full on scooby doo levels of terrified and he flat out DID NOT WANT to be transformed even if he was always a warrior after he got hit by the beam of energy. Or at least, I seem to remember him trying to dodge the beam a few times.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Based on my read of Wikipedia, Castle Grayskull was once known as the Hall of Wisdom and is home to the Orb of Power, which contains the secrets of the Council of Elders who once ruled Eternia. Skeletor and his allies believe that conquering Grayskull will allow them to also become masters of the universe.

(Producer Guy: That’s the name of the show!)
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-12 at 04:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Here's a bit of official trivia:
    Skeletor is so buff beccause he is not a skeleton.
    He is prince Adan's uncle and his face was melted by acid during failed coup.
    Then he made a deal with Hordak - magic that keeps him alive in ecxhange for servitude.
    Well the magic does keep him alive, hut his face still is melted, so he goes insane and Skeletor is born.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't that backstory come with a later series, meaning it may or may not be true if this continues the original?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fun fact about Battlecat - he only exists because Mattel needed a "vehicle" they could sell with the action figures. The showrunners had completely run out of money and couldn't design a vehicle for He-Man to ride. So they took a tiger from a completely different toyline that was built in a different scale than the He-Man action figure that had already been made. Turns out that the He-Man action figure fit perfectly onto the back of the tiger, so they did the Bethesda thing and gave it horse armor and painted it green.

Its' kind of insane how much iconic stuff comes from 1980s toy companies wanting a cartoon to sell their action figures.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Here's a bit of official trivia:
    Skeletor is so buff beccause he is not a skeleton.
    He is prince Adan's uncle and his face was melted by acid during failed coup.
    Then he made a deal with Hordak - magic that keeps him alive in ecxhange for servitude.
    Well the magic does keep him alive, hut his face still is melted, so he goes insane and Skeletor is born.
    Wasn't that shown the last time they did a He Man animated series?
    He was fighting Randor and chucked some acid at him with Randor using a shield to deflect it and it ended up hitting Skeletor in the face?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I don't know, I'll give it more time, but I was disappointed by the small chunk we got. Sounds like deeper voice Joker, and I was expecting a bit more. I have Skeletor's higher pitched voice burned into my brain and I was looking forward to seeing what Hamill could do with that.
    What, no one remembers Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2021-06-13 at 05:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the Dolph Lundgren movie.
    That movie was surprisingly good for its time.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

In case anyone’s interested, here’s a six-minute video of Kevin Smith talking about the series. Basically, he says that it starts out much like the old series and then something happens that splits the heroes up, which is when Teela takes over as the lead.

https://youtu.be/GpsmEcGmUBQ
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-13 at 06:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    In case anyone’s interested, here’s a six-minute video of Kevin Smith talking about the series. Basically, he says that it starts out much like the old series and then something happens that splits the heroes up, which is when Teela takes over as the lead.

https://youtu.be/GpsmEcGmUBQ
    Can't say I'm getting excited over this new He-Man series. Animation is nice, action seems great but given this is mainly just a Teela side story doesn't catch my attention.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That looks like a full-on Magical Boy henshin sequence for Prince Adam and I am LIVING

That Orko clip looked badass as well You have my attention Netflix.

Since they appear to be fleshing out Greyskull in this one (judging by the first spoken line in the trailer) - I wonder if we'll get some kind of lore expansion on what that is and how it relates to SheRa?
    I mean if you can make a dorky sidekick character like Orko cool you have my attention. Also hoping there’s some tie-in to She-Ra I enjoyed that show so much.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Solamnicknight View Post
    I mean if you can make a dorky sidekick character like Orko cool you have my attention. Also hoping there’s some tie-in to She-Ra I enjoyed that show so much.
    Unless you're talking about classic She-Ra, I'd doubt it.

Princesses of Power went out of its way to remove any and all connection between their take on the concept and the parent franchise, barring the occasional mythology gag.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "After 40 years."

SoI see we're just ignoring the existence of the last incarnation from less than 20 years ago and jesus christ I feel so old!

that aside... I am already in love with Mark Hamill's skeletor.
    This looks more like a direct sequel to the original series. Thus why I think the After 40 Years bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Wasn't that shown the last time they did a He Man animated series?
    He was fighting Randor and chucked some acid at him with Randor using a shield to deflect it and it ended up hitting Skeletor in the face?
    The coup is 100% the reboot series. She-Ra had some association between Hordak and his badguys and Skeletor. In OG He-Man skeletor was just a crazy wizard guy. He-Man is a knock off Conan, and thus Skeletor is He-Man's Thulsa Doom.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2021-06-15 at 08:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

News of Teela sidelining He-Man pretty much killed my interest...

Sad, really... The trailler looked promising, I should've known better... It is a Netflix production, after all...
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Kevin Smith says otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #49

WTF is that url
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-06-16 at 01:46 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

Sad, really... The trailler looked promising, I should've known better... It is a Netflix production, after all...
    I would call it rumours. Or "making stuff up to get clicks" if you are not so charitable. Happens all the time.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Not necessarily made up, but likely out of context. Going by the article posted above, I'm going to guess that the series probably has two main POVs; Teela and the rest of the cast, and He-Man who has been transported to some other place (be it another dimension, planet, just different country, whatever) and is trying to find a way back.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

As I recall when he first talked about the show, it starts with the various heroes scattered and Castle Greyskull deserted and Teela is the PoV whilst the band gets put back together.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *spell fizzles*
    "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a Skeletor-shattering kaboom."
    I feel like at some point in my childhood back in the 80s I wondered if Orko and Marvin were related species. I don't think it stuck because I still couldn't decide if Orko had legs or not. :P

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    His moment in the Ladybird book He-Man Meets The Beast, where he punches the most powerful monster in the Labyrinth on the nose, is one of the best Orko moments.
    I think I had some of the He-Man books back then, but can't remember which ones. And at least one vinyl record that was just a condensed episode reading.

I wonder if the "Revelation" in this story is that everyone figures out He-Man has been Clark Kenting this whole time? XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I would call it rumours. Or "making stuff up to get clicks" if you are not so charitable. Happens all the time.
    He denied the rumors, but then kinda confirmed them in a more recent interview...

I certainly hope they all turn out to be just rumors and He-Man doesn't get sidelined in his own show. I honestly want this to be good, but I'm not holding my breath... And Netflix doesn't have or deserve my trust (nor does KS, TBH). So... Until I have definitive confirmation one way or another, I won't watch this show.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-06-16 at 07:46 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

Please explain what you mean?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Netflix adaptations have a reputation for being underwhelming or making changes to characters that make them considerably less visually impressive. The Death Note series is a prominent example.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/netflix-adaptation

I think the current doom and gloom about the series is a bit over much. "Oh no, they're doing a Last of Us Part 2!" I don't think they're going to have Skeletor beat He-Man to death with a golf club and then have Teela go houseshopping with her life-partner.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-18 at 01:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like they will be trying a "split the party" maneuver where some portion of episodes will be on He-Man wherever he is trapped, but the rest will be Teela.
    That way, Kevin isn't lying "Noting that while the series gives Teela a major series, the show itself is “all about He-Man.”"

Avatar did that with Prince Zuko, giving him minor parts of episodes.

28. - Top - End - #58

The show is called Masters of the Universe, not He-Man. I don't think it's per se a bad idea to make it more of an ensemble show (like the Netflix Castelvania was) than just He-Man and his sidekicks.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Netflix adaptations have a reputation for being underwhelming or making changes to characters that make them considerably less visually impressive. The Death Note series is a prominent example.
    Apparently, see also Jupiter's Legacy.

I say "apparently" as I've never read the source material, but word on the street is the Netflix version is a pale shadow.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I didn't watch Jupiter's Legacy, but I did read the comic, and it is one of the most OK comics ever written. It will wow you with its solidly middle of the road quality.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-06-18 at 02:01 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.