New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    Thank you. That encompasses a lot of the problem I had. I do think the Man-At-Arms scene makes it clear that they aren't going for the 'all men are useless' model some (not you) are suggesting, but the tonal dissonance is pretty painful. Are we in a gritty world where we're engaged in a post-apocalyptic struggle for survival, or are we in a fun world where everyone jumps out of their vehicle before it gets hit with laser cannons? It's one or the other.

I think I was subconsciously waiting for the 'Azula shoots Aang in the middle of the transformation sequence' bit to show that we'd switched tones, but the closest they come is right at the start, but then they walk it back...but then they walk it forward again with all the casualties...then they walk it back again with total unwillingness to let the protagonists actually be what we're told they are, competent and dangerous survivors of a dying world.
    I wouldn't say they are making "all men useless" but I do find it really odd that the show He Man finally gets its long awaited return to TV and there are effectively no major male characters who show up for more then a cameo. Like, if She-Ra had it's first episode kill off Adora and the rest of the show was Bow wandering around like a grumpy ******* while a bunch of random female characters from the show were getting offed people would be raising an eyebrow. Really though, I think either just waiting till all ten episodes were available or being honest and upfront about this and like just calling it something like an interquel to lead into the new He Man season would have avoided the bait and switch feeling people are getting and make it easier to see what the show has going for it. As much as the show annoys the living **** out of me I still liked it more then Castlevania so far.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just finished the final episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Man-at-Arms looked awesome as an old man with a top-knot.

Prince Adam's sacrifice was also awesome, showing that it isn't just He-Man's large muscles and Power Sword, but also the heart and character of Prince Adam that make the hero.

Pretty much everything else was bad.

Teela never really gets better. She nurses the grudge the whole five episodes. I thought she got over it in episode 2 with Cringer's impassioned speech that Adam trusted her with the fate of Eternia, but nope, she's still got that chip on her shoulder. The way that everyone fawns over her despite her remaining petulant is unsettling. Orko going on about how the best times of his life were with her, and he promises he won't let her down again. Of course, her response is completely unsympathetic to his feelings because... why acknowledge someone else's emotions, it's all about what Teela feels and wants. Man-at-Arms throws himself to his knees and begs her forgiveness the second he sees her. She cannot make herself care more than simply being surprised it is him. And of course... when she sees Prince Adam in Preternia... lol, just anger and bitterness and resentment. The perfect ingredients to make a heroic protagonist wholly uninteresting and off-putting person.

I found myself wondering what a fly on the wall had seen and heard when they made the decision to kill off He-Man in his own show and have one of the villains become a main character. Like... why is Evil-Lyn getting so much screen time? Why can Teela get over her anger enough to work alongside the only other villain that was there when He-Man/Prince Adam died, but she still can't forgive anyone else? Why is the show so sympathetic to Evil-Lyn to the point of her practically becoming an anti-hero, only to have her join Skeletor again in the end (especially after that girl talk scene)?

Presumably Evil-Lyn might come to her senses at some point but... the show is all over the place with the death and rebirth and death again of He-Man, and now the evil and redemption and evil again of Evil-Lyn. (While we're on the topic of Evil-Lyn... I love how not only do they kill He-Man off in his own show TWICE, but also we have to hear about how actually it's Man-at-Arms that is the most dangerous man in Eternia, and He-Man is just a big cornball. Can't roll my eyes hard enough.)

Teela having to face her fear was predictably pretty bad, and they got to have their cake and eat it too. Of course we think her fear has something to do with He-Man and that's why she's so angry and annoying. So she faces off against He-Man's literal shadow of his former self and holds her own, even knocking him down. Woo-hoo go Teela! But wait! That's not actually what Teela is afraid of. She's actually afraid of... being extraordinary!!! She's afraid of being really really amazing and like... her fate to be awesome and a hero.

Of course, there is a way to do this. She can fear at failing her responsibilities. But what they tell us is that she isn't afraid of being ordinary, she's afraid of the exact opposite of that lol. And then somehow... she shoots a blast of power and says now she can... manifest her fear? And control it? Huh? Sure, whatever.

It's all pretty bad. Maybe that was to be expected, but I thought Kevin Smith's whole thing was that this was going to be a He-Man for grown-ups. Everyone on the show is grumbling about what needs to be done, with the exception of He-Man, who simply takes on his mantle of responsibility and does his duty. And they keep killing him off for it lol.

Also, Roboto's death was jarring and took me out of the show. I was like "Whoa, these girls CAN cry and feel emotions?!" I guess for a machine, but not for their best friend that didn't even flinch before he sacrificed himself to save the literal universe.

re: Kevin Smith debacle

I am sort of sympathetic to him a little, probably more than I should be. Maybe he should have left the denials to a PR team, or handled it a different way. I did not follow the leaks and the outcry and his responses, so I don't really know to what extent he lied to keep the spoiler a secret (if I'm being generous). But I do hold him accountable for some terrible creative decisions. If Teela was to be the more prominent character, she needs to have good character. She simply does not. This is pretty common in media these days, it's like writers don't know what makes a hero a good person, or someone to look up to and aspire to be. They don't know what virtuous qualities even are, let alone how to portray them. I imagine it's something like "Well, this is how He-Man should act because that's how his character has been since the 80s, so let's make Teela different... in all the wrong ways". They don't recognize that they've created an adult child with terrible traits. So regardless of what Kevin Smith said as a response to leaks of the script, the fact that he took the reboot in this direction is bad enough.

As an example, what is the point of the scene between Orko and Scareglo? Orko, who can't use magic well, and who is sickly, is able to thwart Scareglo enough to give his friends an opportunity to save themselves. He is literally doing something he has never done before at a time when he is most frail and weak. He calls out to Evil-Lyn in amazement and pride and loyalty to his friends, she recognizes that this will tax him tremendously and he needs help, and she tries the moment she is free but is too drained.

Our hero Teela gets free and... barks at Orko that he has to keep it up. There is literally no recognition from Teela that her friend Orko, you know, the guy that said the best times of his life were with her and he will never let her down again, has turned a point is his power and ability and perspective, that he is experiencing something profound, or that he might need her help (as Evil-Lyn did). She just tells him to keep doing whatever he is doing and she sets about freeing everyone else and retreating right up until Scare-glo has Orko by his collar and then she thinks "hmm... maybe I should do something" and of course fails to save him because it is too late. There is such a great distance between Teela and all the other characters in the show with the exception of generic techie sidekick Andra that I am not sure what they were thinking in choosing to portray her in this way. It's not a teachable moment because she immediately blames Evil-Lyn for not saving Orko!!

Anyway, I'm not sure what Kevin Smith was thinking. It's unfortunate that he felt forced to present the show as one thing in order to diffuse spoiling the whole premise, but I think even if he hadn't it would not have been well received. Andra and Evil-Lyn do not make for compelling sidekicks, and Teela is an awful protagonist.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

So from the other viewers here, I'm hearing that what I've heard was largely correct, which makes me sad. I didn't get the hance to watch the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe but the 2002 He-Man was a favorite show of mine cause it mixed a lot of my favorite things into one awesome spectacle.

Also, screw Kevin Smith both for how he acted leading up to the show's release, after it debuted, and for what he did to Teela. Shame on him for being so creatively careless and bankrupt with a beloved show and characters from so many people's childhoods. He of all people should know better.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

While its only tangentially related, I keep seeing Kevin Smith, reading Kevin Sorbo, and wondering why Hercules is involved in writing a He-Man sequel.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    While its only tangentially related, I keep seeing Kevin Smith, reading Kevin Sorbo, and wondering why Hercules is involved in writing a He-Man sequel.
    Kevin Sorbo version would be stellar and top notch.

Sadly we got the one we don't want not the one we need.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

Kevin Sorbo certainly would have the cheese chops for a good He man/Adam.

But I don't want to give that man any exposure if possible.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Spamalot in the Playground

Watched it and it was fine. I've never been a huge MotU aficionado - She-Ra was always more my bag - and I can understand to an extent the complaints of those who weren't expecting quite this much Teelah, or for He-Man
    Spoiler
    Show
    to get killed off twice in his own show.
    But I got the sense that they're going somewhere with it so I'm engaged enough to stick it out.

The most interesting part by far for me was the lorebuilding around Greyskull, and what that might mean for She-Ra. If nothing else, I want this to do well for the crossover potential.

A close second to that are the performances from the star-studded cast, particularly Cersei (Evil-lynn), Davos (Man-At-Arms), Buffy (Teelah), and of course Hamill's Skelejoker. Several of the updated designs were fantastic too, with the standout being Beast-Man.

I'm hoping the Sword of Power gets an update similar to She-Ra's though - that minimalist design is very dull, and reforging it didn't seem to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    But I don't want to give that man any exposure if possible.
    That. His career can rot as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-07-27 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Watched it and it was fine. I've never been a huge MotU aficionado - She-Ra was always more my bag - and I can understand to an extent the complaints of those who weren't expecting quite this much Teelah, or for He-Man
    Spoiler
    Show
    to get killed off twice in his own show.
    But I got the sense that they're going somewhere with it so I'm engaged enough to stick it out.
    Yea the next part has some promise if only because it will finally get to some of the stuff about Adam trying to understand who he is when he doesn't have the power that some stuff I have seen was going to be the initial idea for the show before they decided to try and show "What is metropolis without Superman" as a story concept which they largely botched. Not even because there was too much Teela alone either, her weird grumpy character assassination was just the cherry on top. Also hopefully the next season gets some more male characters in central roles, it feels so weird that He Man finally gets back on the air and it's Teela, her obvious girlfriend even though they don't just come out and say it, and EVIL-LYN, because if a villain is going to get a chance to be seen as nuanced of course it gets to be the girl one, as the core cast

The most interesting part by far for me was the lorebuilding around Greyskull, and what that might mean for She-Ra. If nothing else, I want this to do well for the crossover potential.
    Sadly that seems unlikely, since the Netflix She-Ra is at best a distant sequel to the old show and more likely is just a new setting entirely and this is explicitly a continuation of the old continuity that the original She-Ra is still running around active in.

A close second to that are the performances from the star-studded cast, particularly Cersei (Evil-lynn), Davos (Man-At-Arms), Buffy (Teelah), and of course Hamill's Skelejoker. Several of the updated designs were fantastic too, with the standout being Beast-Man.
    Liam Cunningham was ok, most of the other celebrity stunt casts didn't do it for me. Hamill just didn't feel like Skeletor at all either. Which is weird because I know for a fact he could have gone for a voice closer to the originals. Although I guess Sarah Michelle Geller has enough voice acting credits to not count as stunt casting for voice work anymore but she just felt miscast here.

Oh no, am I going to regret it if I google his name to see what he did now?
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    See, only tangentially related but Kevin Sorbo voicing He-Man would be amazing and I fully endorse that. Not quite as sure if he could do a good Prince Adam, but he could definitely do He-Man.

Honestly, between what I've heard about Revelation and what I did see of She-Ra, I want Netflix to just leave both properties alone.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Oh no, am I going to regret it if I google his name to see what he did now?
    Let's just say he has gone off a certain political deep-end for very long while and never talk about it again without risking the Wrath of the Mods.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Sadly that seems unlikely, since the Netflix She-Ra is at best a distant sequel to the old show and more likely is just a new setting entirely and this is explicitly a continuation of the old continuity that the original She-Ra is still running around active in.
    It wouldn't be that hard to link them. We've learned from both shows that:

Spoiler
    Show

- Eternia is the first planet, center of the universe and the source of magic
    - Adora is explicitly from another planet which was home to the "first ones"
    - Castle Greyskull is the wellspring / source of Eternia's magic
    - as in the original, both Adam and Adora invoke Greyskull to power themselves up

It wouldn't exactly take the Da Vinci Code to connect the two.

It could also be fun for Netflix. First off, because cinematic universes make a great deal of money if done well, as it convinces both peripheral fans and newcomers that watching the stuff they're not as familiar with or invested in is worthwhile. And second, because we could see the characters from both series in the other's art-style, which is as fun for the creatives as it is for the fans. Seeing Glimmer or Perfuma in the Castlevania art style would be as much fun as seeing Battle-Cat, Prince Adam or Evil-Lynn in She-Ra's.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Honestly, between what I've heard about Revelation and what I did see of She-Ra, I want Netflix to just leave both properties alone.
    Given how successful She-Ra was, fat chance of that
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-07-27 at 02:42 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I meanwhile feel the same about Kevin Smith.
    Since he has a) directly and publicly lied people to their face. b) directly been misleading people about the nature of the show. c) seemingly been blaming the fans and d) made a mess out of a beloved serie.

Im fine with the choice to explore some side characters. Not with what was done.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Since he has a) directly and publicly lied people to their face. b) directly been misleading people about the nature of the show. c) seemingly been blaming the fans and d) made a mess out of a beloved serie.

Im fine with the choice to explore some side characters. Not with what was done.
    So, I haven't actually watched the series. But seems that "exploring some side character" was done in the style of..

Spoiler
    Show
    Snyder's Justice League.

Basically, the only way they found to give more screentime to side characters is to kill off the overpowered main character?

14. - Top - End - #104

Eh, Smith misleading nosy journalists about the series he didn't want to spoil is hardly the same thing for me, but whatever. I won't discuss the other guy further here.

So, I haven't actually watched the series. But seems that "exploring some side character" was done in the style of..

Spoiler
    Show
    Snyder's Justice League.

Basically, the only way they found to give more screentime to side characters is to kill off the overpowered main character?
    I'd consider He-Man and Supes to be an apt comparison, even beyond the Clark Kent/Prince Adam analogue. The big similarity being how difficult they both are to make interesting beyond being OP paragons of goodness. Certainly this show made me way more interested in Prince Adam, in just a handful of appearances, than the original ever managed to.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Snyder's Justice League.

Spoiler
    Show

You have watched both versions of Justice League?
    I found Snyder had a LOT more respect for the characters involved than the first guy. Weedon i think?
    Just for a start he didnt make the Flash comedy relief.
    Else well. Initially killing off Superman were part of the Doomsday Saga.

Here He-Man were killed off for.. god knows why.

Eh, Smith misleading nosy journalists about the series he didn't want to spoil is hardly the same thing for me, but whatever. I won't discuss the other guy further here.
    He could have ignored them. It was just a couple nerds with a youtube channel.
    He could have given the classic "wait and see".
    Instead he attacked them verbally and lied to all of us.
    Why should -anything- he says be trusted at this point?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Given how successful She-Ra was, fat chance of that
    Was it successful in the financial sense? Netflix isn't exactly open about how they judge if a show did well but if we look at other metrics, like one you've used as a criticism in the past for the older She-Ra, She-Ra: The Princesses of Power doesn't sell toys at the very least. Original She-Ra sells very well but new She-Ra hasn't. So how are you judging its success?

And for the record, I'm not trying to diss you or anything. New She-Ra doesn't appeal to me in pretty much anyway but it doesn't need to so long as its entertaining someone, I just found it personally disappointing.

I'd consider He-Man and Supes to be an apt comparison, even beyond the Clark Kent/Prince Adam analogue. The big similarity being how difficult they both are to make interesting beyond being OP paragons of goodness. Certainly this show made me way more interested in Prince Adam, in just a handful of appearances, than the original ever managed to.
    Except Smith didn't mislead anyone. That's the big problem. They got a leak from someone working on the show, did a video about it saying they hoped the leak wasn't true, and Kevin Smith attacked them over it. He sicced people on them, called them liars, and then lied about what the series would actually be about, which is a big source of the dislike coming from older fans. It goes down to as simple as the fact he says he never liked the show and thought it was for babies (a direct quote) to saying he was a super fan of it before it even came out and its also obvious in his initial press runs after the show came out where he was positively giddy about certain plot developments he had to have known people wouldn't like. And now its turned into the typical attacking the fans, including a 'grow the F*** up if you think certain events will stick' when he's earned absolutely no trust to warrant it. Oh yeah, and the people he kept dragging and insulting ever since they got their leak? He admitted he said what he did to try and throw people off (it didn't work) and still never apologized for the trouble he caused them.

So yeah, shame on Kevin Smith and there's not much wrong with Sorbo.

And Superman isn't difficult to make interesting..he's just difficult for some people to find interesting and thus make interesting, but the fact Superman has been around since around WWI makes it pretty clear people find the character very interesting. Same with He-man. People can say it was just a glorified toy commercial, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have heart and soul poured behind it that resonated with an entire generation of kids and their kids. He-Man has been around for forty years at this point because of that enduring love. And, I mean this in a loving way, the best continution of He-Man definitely seems to be from the 2002 series which was a much worthy successor.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2021-07-27 at 05:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

I think the problem with Kevin Smith is more that he took the series in a direction to answer a couple of questions that I am willing to bet most people were not asking...

Spoiler
    Show

As he has mentioned in recent videos, Kevin was interested in a couple of things...

What would happen if Teela found out about Prince Adam's secret?

Well, first off, who cares? I mean, in all honesty I'm sure some people out there do. But this is something you can address over an episode or two. Instead, by making it the premise of the entire series, we are left with a protagonist who is embittered all the time. Towards the other heroes of the show no less. It is made all the worse because in order for Teela to remain angry (or even be as angry as she was in the first place) she has to erase her humanity, and ignore grieving parents and friends, the loss and death and heroic sacrifice of Adam, etc. Truthfully, the "revelation" has no bearing on how the season ended. He-Man didn't sacrifice himself because of the "revelation"; that happened afterwards. And Skeletor didn't win in the end because the group was fractured because of the "revelation", literally everyone was there with the exception of Orko, who would have sacrificed himself anyway despite the "revelation". So this being the big question Smith wanted to answer with the reboot seems like a very poor creative decision, especially when we consider how it was executed in the end.

What impact would the death of Skeletor have on Evil-Lyn?

Uh... what? So the suggestion here is that Evil-Lyn lacks agency for herself and is simply evil because Skeletor made her do it? And without his bad influence she is free to be a better person? Wow... what a... depressing turn of events for the villainess. Great treatment of a character there Kevin... I'm not evil, but I am in love with a skeleton and he makes me do bad things. Yeah okay. I was, as I am sure many others were, delighted that instead of watching Teela run around with He-Man, she was fighting side by side with Evil-Lyn. Seriously, by choosing to answer this question that literally no one has ever asked in the history of the He-Man fandom, so much time was devoted to Evil-Lyn that could have been devoted to someone else.

I think the series would have been much better if they had kept it as Master of the Universe and did one episode focused on each character and simply treated them all with basic dignity and respect. Or, gone the regular route and kept it a He-Man show, and do spin-offs or one-off episodes.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

there's not much wrong with Sorbo.
    Dude's a bag of conspiracy theories, petty hate, and crazy. There's plenty wrong with him.

There's plenty wrong with Smith as well, sure. But let's not wash away one's sins just to focus on the other.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with viewing the original MotU cartoon as a glorified toy commercial for children - we all know that’s what it was.

That gives the creators licence to make something better with the source material. But they haven’t done that; the new MotU cartoon’s story feels spiteful rather than respectful. The action scenes are lifeless, the dialogue is tone deaf and the voice actors are miscast. It’s not a good show.

Oh, and Kevin Sorbo is a washed-up has-been who threw away whatever goodwill he may once have had.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-07-27 at 06:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

I am going to posit that he probably could not have simply ignored it or asked everyone to "wait and see". We are in a time now where the fans are very sensitive to these reboots of old franchises. The people in charge of them are not... good, and that gets projected into their writing and onto their characters. Kevin Smith has come off as arrogant, entitled, dismissive, and lacking understanding of other people. This is exactly how Teela is in the show. And these are the accusations that are then projected onto the fans when they are critical of the show.

We saw the same thing with a certain Star Wars movie. It is a very sensitive time. We are expected to like anything, even if it is tearing down the very thing we like. If something leaks that the new He-Man show doesn't have He-Man in it and he is replaced as the main character, Kevin Smith has to respond to that in some fashion and cannot ignore it. Otherwise it would be dead on arrival.

It's a meme now. If we hear they are rebooting something, we are already wondering how they are going to subvert/deconstruct it (fancy ways of saying "sh*t on it"). We're cagey about it and suspicious of the intent. Any accusations will probably have to be responded to in a meaningful way I think.
    Yeah, that's totally on Kevin Smith. I don't think he could have ignored it, but certainly don't attack people. But again, I'm not sure that these people have the right character to handle these types of things. To my mind, they wouldn't be writing the crap they write if they knew how to conduct themselves as decent people. If Kevin were capable of offering an apology and explaining the difficult position he was in but understanding how the fans feel, Teela might have shed a Single. Freaking. Tear. at the end of the first episode.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

I've seen the projects Sorbo has had a hand in producing. I'm not sure where the faith in him comes from. Sidestepping his not-safe-for-board-discussion recent career, Andromeda was ****ing atrocious.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I've seen the projects Sorbo has had a hand in producing. I'm not sure where the faith in him comes from. Sidestepping his not-safe-for-board-discussion recent career, Andromeda was ****ing atrocious.
    To be fair, I didn't mean Kevin Sorbo as a producer, director, or anything of the sort. I meant him as the voice of He-Man which he'd be pretty great at considering his past work. I don't know if the person who originally brought up Sorbo meant the same thing, but I purely meant him as lending his voice and not necessarily his creative input. And having just heard his voice in a Youtube ad, I find that yeah he sounds pretty much how I remember him, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Dude's a bag of conspiracy theories, petty hate, and crazy. There's plenty wrong with him.

There's plenty wrong with Smith as well, sure. But let's not wash away one's sins just to focus on the other.
    I'd ask for more details but don't want to skirt board rules in the process, cause nothing I've heard is THAT bad.

That said, you aren't wrong. There's probably a fair bit wrong with both dudes and one being worse than the other doesn't mean the less bad one still hasn't done bad things.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground

I eagerly awaited this new series. I watched it, and, frankly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, I watched the original series back in the day, and the 2002 series. While I might like the 2002 MotU better, I liked this, too. I'm interested to see where it goes.

My biggest complaint is casting SMG as the voice of Teela...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A couple Youtubers simply commented on s rumor (that turned out to be true). Instead of acting like a decent human being, Kevin Smith not only straight up lied, but also spent nearly 2 years attacking them and and lying about them...

KS has always been the "fake fan" kind of celebrity, but I didn't expect him to be this much of a ****...

And the trend of awful Netflix adaptations goes on...
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

A friend of mine put it really succinctly when I was talking about this the other day "Its about setting up expectations really. I don't think anyone should hide their entire premise. If you can't casually pitch your story to a friend without spoiling it rethink at least the hook for the story." Verbally attacking people for leaking said plot twist premise and then doubling down on the lie becomes a huge compounding factor and is a recipe for major backlash even if the show were great and not just ok.

It wouldn't be that hard to link them. We've learned from both shows that:

Spoiler
    Show

- Eternia is the first planet, center of the universe and the source of magic
    - Adora is explicitly from another planet which was home to the "first ones"
    - Castle Greyskull is the wellspring / source of Eternia's magic
    - as in the original, both Adam and Adora invoke Greyskull to power themselves up
    Well yea but presumably at the Original She-Ra is still running around fighting the Horde in the background of things. In order for the New She-Ra to get linked in it would take some really odd timeline shenanigans at best or wreck the lore of the New She-Ra at worst since all signs pointed to that being it's own new continuity and not a sequel.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched the first five episodes and I can honestly say Prince Adam appeared in every episode. One more episode than Teela's partner, who gets an in-universe "who are you I don't even know your name" so don't blame me when I don't know it either. And this was with subtitles on the whole time.

Spoiler: Teela
    Show
    She has the range of emotional expression of the classically male action hero. Which is fine for the story, but not exactly endearing alongside the strong and weak characters in the show who aren't emotionally stunted walnuts. Like, everyone else in the show can open up and talk. Teela can only just manage to avoid being explicitly told the secret that everyone in the audience (and she herself no doubt) knows about her and the Sorceress.

Spoiler: Evil-Lyn
    Show
    Not the worst canon name in the series. Also, clearly in the Starscream position. Subtitles let me see the moment Evil-Lyn became subtitled as just "Lyn" while asking not to be called just Lyn. For all her camaraderie with the good guys while restoring magic, there's no way she isn't going to (apparently) join the winning side. Nothing says she can't have her own plan and she would definitely not leak an immediate hint if she does.

Spoiler: Pattern
    Show
    Is this Baldur's Gate, because it looks like the party can only have 6 characters in it. Teela, what's-her-name, Lyn, Beastman, Orko, Roboto, no room for Duncan. Orko dies at the threshold but Adam's back. Roboto dies just before they go back to catch up with Duncan. Cringer, and the Sorceress makes too many so they lose Lyn and Beastman. Thus Adam can't die here or the party will be too small. I hope with the return of magic they bring Orko back in. They can put Sorc on guard duty to make room, and Orko clearly recited a banishment incantation and not a destruction one. Orko needs more screen time to really move toys.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

When I imagined a fight between Xena and Hercules while growing up, I didn't imagine it would happen on twitter.

28. - Top - End - #118

That's for you to decide. I personally don't care and will keep watching.

Was it successful in the financial sense?
    Nah, it got 5 seasons for no reason

But I was referring to critical success with its two Emmy wins, numerous award nominations and 97% RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

What would happen if Teela found out about Prince Adam's secret?

Well, first off, who cares? I mean, in all honesty I'm sure some people out there do. But this is something you can address over an episode or two. Instead, by making it the premise of the entire series, we are left with a protagonist who is embittered all the time. Towards the other heroes of the show no less. It is made all the worse because in order for Teela to remain angry (or even be as angry as she was in the first place) she has to erase her humanity, and ignore grieving parents and friends, the loss and death and heroic sacrifice of Adam, etc. Truthfully, the "revelation" has no bearing on how the season ended. He-Man didn't sacrifice himself because of the "revelation"; that happened afterwards. And Skeletor didn't win in the end because the group was fractured because of the "revelation", literally everyone was there with the exception of Orko, who would have sacrificed himself anyway despite the "revelation". So this being the big question Smith wanted to answer with the reboot seems like a very poor creative decision, especially when we consider how it was executed in the end.

What impact would the death of Skeletor have on Evil-Lyn?

Uh... what? So the suggestion here is that Evil-Lyn lacks agency for herself and is simply evil because Skeletor made her do it? And without his bad influence she is free to be a better person? Wow... what a... depressing turn of events for the villainess. Great treatment of a character there Kevin... I'm not evil, but I am in love with a skeleton and he makes me do bad things. Yeah okay. I was, as I am sure many others were, delighted that instead of watching Teela run around with He-Man, she was fighting side by side with Evil-Lyn. Seriously, by choosing to answer this question that literally no one has ever asked in the history of the He-Man fandom, so much time was devoted to Evil-Lyn that could have been devoted to someone else.

I think the series would have been much better if they had kept it as Master of the Universe and did one episode focused on each character and simply treated them all with basic dignity and respect. Or, gone the regular route and kept it a He-Man show, and do spin-offs or one-off episodes.
    Spoiler: Teelah
    Show
    I would be mad too in her shoes. She put her life on the line against Skeletor every bit as much as Orko, MAA and Cringer if not more. What was the point of keeping it secret? They can dress it up in flowery language like "he trusted you with Eternia!" all they like, but the fact is that there was no truly good reason to treat her like a second-class companion and keep her in the dark all those years. The real reason is that Adam was selfish and afraid, and he needs to admit that. Oh look, a character flaw, how awful. And he'll get his chance to apologize and for them to move past it eventually, but that will happen when Teelah is ready, not when Adam and Orko want her to get over it.

Spoiler: Evil-Lynn
    Show
    I think you're way off base with her character; she's not turning good at all. She flat out says that she regretted devoted her life to Skeletor when she could have been a Master of the Universe herself. Yeah she's willing to team up with the Scooby Gang but that is purely an alliance of convenience - without Eternia's magic, she's useless and she knows it. I don't know whether she aspires to conquering the entire planet the way Skelly did, but carving out a nice slice of it she can rule over with an enchanted iron fist like Triklops did with his techno-utopia is right up her alley.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nah, it got 5 seasons for no reason

But I was referring to critical success with its two Emmy wins, numerous award nominations and 97% RT.
    TBF, that's more like 3 seasons, split up to look like 5... And award shows are not based on quality or success these days, but on politics and marketing. Even RT stopped being reliable a while ago too, when they started freezing scores, deleting reviews, etc...

And, well... Even Batwoman got a 3rd season, and we know for a fact that its audience numbers have dwindled dramatically before even half the 1st season had aired... And it hasn't gained any popularity since. And that's a CW show! Netflix gives 2~3 seasons to everything.
    Homebrew Stuff:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    TBF, that's more like 3 seasons, split up to look like 5... And award shows are not based on quality or success these days, but on politics and marketing. Even RT stopped being reliable a while ago too, when they started freezing scores, deleting reviews, etc...

And, well... Even Batwoman got a 3rd season, and we know for a fact that its audience numbers have dwindled dramatically before even half the 1st season had aired... And it hasn't gained any popularity since. And that's a CW show! Netflix gives 2~3 seasons to everything.
    Then there's no metric you will accept to qualify it as a successful show.

For the record I really loved the new She Ra show. It only got better with time, and season 5 was its best.