New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

confused Information given to resurrectees

In comic 844 Roy says that Resurrection tells the creature the alignment of the caster. However, in comic 1147 a deva attempts to tell Durkon something about Hilgya's religious affiliation. This makes the decision of the Draketooth more complicated as a cleric working for the Sapphire Guard would probably worship the Twelve Gods.

There are ways to easily make these work together, such as
    -Durkon is telepathically notified of the alignment, but the deva is specifically worried about clerics of Loki and decides to tell him, which is not normal
    -The deva would have said something about the gods a cleric of Hilgya's alignment could worship.
    -Resurrection works differently wherever the Draketooth is, and no outsider told him.
    -The Draketooth does not care about Thor not being a likely god for a Sapphire Guard-affiliated cleric to worship, and only cares about Lawful Goodness or does not want to be resurrected for other reasons.
    Last edited by wrn; 2021-06-11 at 09:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Information given to resurrectees

Quote Originally Posted by wrn View Post
    In comic 844 Roy says that Resurrection tells the creature the alignment of the caster. However, in comic 1147 a deva attempts to tell Durkon something about Hilgya's religious affiliation. This makes the decision of the Draketooth more complicated as a cleric working for the Sapphire Guard would probably worship the Twelve Gods.

-Durkon is telepathically notified of the alignment, but the deva is specifically worried about clerics of Loki and decides to tell him, which is not normal
    -The deva would have said something about the gods a cleric of Hilgya's alignment could worship.
    -Resurrection works differently wherever the Draketooth is, and no outsider told him.
    -The Draketooth does not care about Thor not being a likely god for a Sapphire Guard-affiliated cleric to worship, and only cares about Lawful Goodness or does not want to be resurrected for other reasons.
    The Draketooths probably thought "A cleric of Thor?! In the Western Continent? The cleric we use is a Cleric of Ishtar, and she's Lawful Neutral, so something's not right. Either it's some do-gooder trying to "save" the area, or the Sapphire Guard roped in some 3rd-rate cleric to trick me. Either way, it's clearly not being done on behalf of anyone else in our clan."
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-11 at 09:33 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The deva in 1147 notably editorializes his thoughts about said religious affiliation. I see no reason to think that whatever system set up in the Drake tooth afterlife wouldn't similarly editorializes according to their beliefs.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The deva in 1147 notably editorializes his thoughts about said religious affiliation. I see no reason to think that whatever system set up in the Drake tooth afterlife wouldn't similarly editorializes according to their beliefs.
    What, something like a Slaadi saying "Oh jeez, it's a Cleric of Thor. Probably some dwarf. They're all nutters, rambling about "honor" and "justice". I've been here for 5 centuries and I've seen one dwarf come in here. Sorry about that, lost track of things. Anyways, Lawful Good Cleric of Thor. You wanna take it or leave it?"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    What, something like a Slaadi saying "Oh jeez, it's a Cleric of Thor. Probably some dwarf. They're all nutters, rambling about "honor" and "justice". I've been here for 5 centuries and I've seen one dwarf come in here. Sorry about that, lost track of things. Anyways, Lawful Good Cleric of Thor. You wanna take it or leave it?"
    I would purchase an entire bonus book that depicted minor OotS characters receiving Resurrections and getting it editorialized by Outsiders of their different planes. For instance: are Demons cool with it, or mad that their victims are slipping through their clutches? Is somebody leaving Valhalla a particularly somber occasion? Imagine all the wacky hijinks Shojo has been getting up to!

Inquiring minds want to know!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#bringingBacktheDead
    A soul knows the name, alignment, and patron deity (if any) of the character attempting to revive it and may refuse to return on that basis.
    That you get the alignment does not mean that's all you get.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thanks, I didn't see that info because I was looking at the spells instead of the overview.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks, I didn't see that info because I was looking at the spells instead of the overview.
    Yeah, the overview is a bad place for them to have put that. Resurrection and True Resurrection both reference raise dead.

Put the text in Raise Dead and Reincarnate and you're done and people would actually notice it.