New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Advice needed: How do I hand things to people without them touching me?

I quite often have to hand relatively heavy packages with built-in handles to people as part of my day-to-day life.

I feel as though I have to hand them off to be polite. Setting the package on the ground or floor has been considered impolite most of the times I've tried that. The packages are of varying weight about 20 to 30 pounds each (9 to 13.5 kg,) with either one or two built-in handles.

I'm more used to handling these packages than they are, so it would seem polite to hand them off in such a way that they use the handles.

So, with the setup out of the way, here's the problem: About 95%+ of the time, if I cradle the package in my hands, and tilt the package to present the handle(s) to the person to make it easy for them, they put their hands right up against mine, and awkwardly try to cradle it the same way I was, which ends up looking very unbalanced, usually. If I hold it by the handle(s), they try to grab it out of my hands by the handles, squishing our fingers together as they do it.

If I present the handle to them and ask them to please grab the handles, they still try to awkwardly cradle-grab it like I described above, except they act more annoyed about it.

These are mostly loose acquaintances with a few people I've never met before sprinkled in.

Does anyone have any advice I could try on how to improve this? The above represents a bit over a year's worth of my attempts and observations about the results. This situation comes up perhaps about 15 times per week, so this experience is likely to be from more than 500 separate instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Advice needed: How do I hand things to people without them touching me?

I feel that in current circumstances, I wouldn't be handing anything to someone else (risking contact) unless I actually know that person very well.
    I'd be leaving parcels on the ground and stepping back. Even adds I see for food delivery now show people leaving bags and boxes on doorsteps.
    Is this a work situation? Don't they have suggestions or procedures to follow? This isn't a concern about being polite or impolite. It's health and safety.
    The other suggestion is wear gloves.
    Last edited by Tarmor; 2021-06-12 at 06:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Advice needed: How do I hand things to people without them touching me?

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    If I present the handle to them and ask them to please grab the handles, they still try to awkwardly cradle-grab it like I described above, except they act more annoyed about it.
    If people won’t listen to directions leaving it on the floor and flipping them off as you walk away is appropriate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Step 1: Make up a form that looks business-y.

Step 2: Attach form to a clipboard with a pen held in the clipboard.

Step 3: Put clipboard on top of box before you pick it up.

Now you can walk to the person, put the box down, get the clipboard, ask them to sign, and you will have put the box on the ground without them perceiving it as rude. Clipboard is easily handed off by each person holding the opposite side. You have now successfully done a no-contact delivery.

It might be mildly annoying, but it'd work.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

You're the expert here. Don't say please, direct them politely, but firmly on how to grab the box comfortably. If I were in your shoes:

- Walk up to customer holding the package by the handles
    - Lift the package up to present the bottom at an easy grabbing height and the handles higher than normal
    - "Make sure to support the package from the bottom so that contents don't *insert plausible risk of package mishandling*."

On the other end of the spectrum, go full on polite. Ask them how they'd prefer to hold the package and present it to them the opposite way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    You're the expert here. Don't say please, direct them politely, but firmly on how to grab the box comfortably. If I were in your shoes:

- Walk up to customer holding the package by the handles
    - Lift the package up to present the bottom at an easy grabbing height and the handles higher than normal
    - "Make sure to support the package from the bottom so that contents don't *insert plausible risk of package mishandling*."

On the other end of the spectrum, go full on polite. Ask them how they'd prefer to hold the package and present it to them the opposite way.
    Conversely, we them politely, but firmly to leave.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"One second. This box is heavy. For both your and my safety, I need to place this box down."

(You can place the box down here then say the below, or continue straight to the below while still holding it as you like.)

"This will enable both of us to handle the box in a safe manner."

---

If the box isn't heavy (and remember that even boxes that feel light might still be classified as heavy), you can still say: "One second. For both your and my safety, I need to place this box down."

---

If you can make it a policy, it's even easier: "One second. It is policy that for both your and my safety, I need to place this box down."

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take some time to think about the responses in this thread. Thank you for your contributions.

Any more are also welcome, of course. I'm just here to let you know I'm still listening, and that I appreciate your answers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Gloves?
    And what is actually bad about them touching you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Gloves?
    And what is actually bad about them touching you?
    Couple things.

If you do it a lot you are going to get every cold that runs through the population.

You are also passing a heavy object from your center to theirs, which is hard on your back if they are taller, shorter, weaker, or not mushed up close to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yell "catch!" Throw it at them and start running before they realize.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yell "catch!" Throw it at them and start running before they realize.
    I retract all of my advice and wholeheartedly support this one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

One option.
    Use one hand under the object and one hand on one of the handles.
    As you pass the object twist it to present it empty handle toward the recipient. This will clue them to grab the empty handle.

From here you can shift the weight to them with the support and and let go of the second handle until they can grab it...

.or if they try to mimic you slide your support hand away while holding it up with the handle until their new support hand is ready to take the weight.

Either way you'll minimize touch.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the reason people don't like it when you set the box on the floor that they then have to lift it from there? (Even with a handle, some folks are bad at lifting; they "lift with their back" and injure themselves.)

If so, then maybe do the handoff where there's a table available, or install one if there's not? If you set the box on the table for them, there are no overtones of "Here, I'm going to squander some perfectly good gravitational potential energy, and make you replace it." :-)
    Last edited by mucat; 2021-06-26 at 10:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Is the reason people don't like it when you set the box on the floor that they then have to lift it from there? (Even with a handle, some folks are bad at lifting; they "lift with their back" and injure themselves.)
    Yes, a considerable fraction of these people are older than middle-aged. There isn't a table available. This usually happens on a set of stairs. Using the railing in a similar way as you suggest to use a table would not be possible in this location.

I've been trying some of the other suggestions here, but haven't seen much improvement of the situation.

I may just have to start disappointing people if I want to avoid this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I think maybe small amends to the "grab the box by the handles/bottom" phrase could be enough. Something like "you should take it by the bottom; the handles are small it would be awkward" or whatever that is subtly but unquestioningly pointing at "if you don't do as I say, you will be making this interaction awkward". I may be projecting, but I feel most people would go out of their way to not be "it" in such a situation.