New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Next ASI/Feat for my Soulknife?

I'm currently playing a Level 9 Soul Knife that is about to hit Level 10 and I'm trying to decide what to do with my Level 10 ASI/Feat.

He's a single class Variant Human Soulknife: 8, 20, 14, 12, 14, 10 Fighting Initiate: Dueling Fighting Style. Expertise in Stealth, Slight of Hand, Perception and Thieves' Tools. He tends to stick strictly to the the Psi Blades unless fighting a construct or other Psi-immune creature and tends to fight at range when possible.

So, what next? Dexterity is already capped at 20. One thought was to pick up a second fighting style for Thrown Weapons, which would stack with Dueling, but since you can only take Fighting Initiate once, I'd have to multiclass for that, and I'd prefer not to do that at least until I've picked up Reliable Talent at 11. Any thoughts on what to get instead?
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2021-06-12 at 09:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Next ASI/Feat for my Soulknife?

Hmm... unless you feel the need for more health, I'd probably go for something fun and thematic. Telekinetic, say, or Shadow Touched. Or Eldritch Adept, it's hard to go wrong with that one-- Gaze of Two Minds would go perfectly with a Soulknife, for example.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I palyed a Tier 3 Soulknife with Telekinetic and Thrown Weapon style and it was a blast. Telekinetic felt both thematic and was handy on a few occasions, helps that I was buffing Int for character reasons (just happened to help we were in the Astral plane and our speed was based on our Int).
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

4. - Top - End - #4

Hmm... unless you feel the need for more health, I'd probably go for something fun and thematic. Telekinetic, say, or Shadow Touched. Or Eldritch Adept, it's hard to go wrong with that one-- Gaze of Two Minds would go perfectly with a Soulknife, for example.
    Eldritch Adept is an excellent idea. Gaze of Two Minds is certainly thematic, though I already can link up most of a party with Psychic Whispers. I'm a fan of "at will" abilities, so Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces Fiendish Vigor and a few others would fit the bill.

EDIT: Looking over Eldritch Adept, it has a Prerequisite of a Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature. I don't believe any of the Soulknife's abilities fall under the spellcasting category.
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2021-06-13 at 12:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I palyed a Tier 3 Soulknife with Telekinetic and Thrown Weapon style and it was a blast. Telekinetic felt both thematic and was handy on a few occasions, helps that I was buffing Int for character reasons (just happened to help we were in the Astral plane and our speed was based on our Int).
    The Telekinetic feat was one of my first thoughts. The one negative is that as a Soulknife Rogue, my Bonus Action is almost always accounted for on any given turn. But I may pick it up at some point for the invisible mage hand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Closed Account

The Skulker or Skilled feats could also be fun.
    Skulker enables hiding in Dim Light, which seems useful and should combine nicely with Psychic Teleportation.

The Skilled feat, allows you to further expand your opportunities to use Psi Bolstered Knack. Since you can also select tools, with the Skilled feat...and Vehicles from Chariots to speed boats count as tools...you can be the best star fighter in the galaxy.

Psi Bolstered Knack: deemed the worst ability name for players to say, whilst drunk🃏The ability name doesn't exact trip lightly across the tongue.🃏
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2021-06-13 at 02:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Alert is a useful Feat (although not that interesting) - Acting first is a big tactical advantage, and the benefits vs unseen enemies and surprise are situational but great when applicable.

Lucky is always handy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    EDIT: Looking over Eldritch Adept, it has a Prerequisite of a Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature. I don't believe any of the Soulknife's abilities fall under the spellcasting category.
    Dang. Worth asking your GM if you can take take it anyway and explain it as new use of your psionics.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Take magic initiate/ritual caster or one of the other spell casting feats at 10 so you can grab eldritch adept at 12?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    The Telekinetic feat was one of my first thoughts. The one negative is that as a Soulknife Rogue, my Bonus Action is almost always accounted for on any given turn. But I may pick it up at some point for the invisible mage hand.
    It can be tough giving up an attack, I used it for utility and when I got closed on (I was also playing a ranged centric Soulknife).

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Take magic initiate/ritual caster or one of the other spell casting feats at 10 so you can grab eldritch adept at 12?
    Unfortunately that doesn't work since it needs the spellcasting or pact magic features, which are only available from classes. Whereas Spell Sniper has a prereq of 'the ability to cast at least one spell', so even if you had racial casting you couldn't grab Eldritch Adept, but you could grab Spell Sniper. It's... pretty stupid especially since Eldritch Adept is emant to be Warlock lite.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Arcane Initiate -> shield is always a good choice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Unfortunately that doesn't work since it needs the spellcasting or pact magic features, which are only available from classes." - are you sure?

It seems that there are a whole bunch of feats which allow you to cast spells. Do you have a reference for a rule that backs up your ruling or is it just one guy's interpretation?

There are also some races that allow you to cast spells.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Unfortunately that doesn't work since it needs the spellcasting or pact magic features, which are only available from classes." - are you sure?

It seems that there are a whole bunch of feats which allow you to cast spells. Do you have a reference for a rule that backs up your ruling or is it just one guy's interpretation?

THe feat specifically requires the 'Spellcasting' or 'Pact Magic' features, you don't get that from a feat or race, examples:

Magic Initiate: It states that you learn certain spells and can cast them, not that you can gain the Spellcasting feature.

Tieflings: The magic comes from the Infernal Legacy trait, not the Spellcasting feature.

Spell Sniper: Explicitly says 'the ability to cast at least one spell' this wording is far, far more permissive than Eldritch adept.

This isn't a ruling or interpretation, the feat is looking specifically for named features only granted through classes/subclasses that give casting w/slots. You can change it to be more open (and that would make more sense imo), but that isn't the RAW and I suspect it isn't RAI either since they intentionally changed language compared to the PHB.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The ability to cast spells is different from the Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature- and the feat requires those features, rathe then the ability to cast spells in general.