New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Setting-Agnostic Race Height Chart: Minimum, Average, & Maximum Heights

I made a height chart displaying the minimum, average, and maximum heights of each race from setting-agnostic sources (Player's Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes). Data below:
    RACE MINIMUM AVERAGE MAXIMUM
    kobold 2 ft 3 in 2 ft 6 in 2 ft 9 in
    halfling 2 ft 9 in 3 ft 0 in 3 ft 3 in
    gnome 3 ft 1 in 3 ft 4 in 3 ft 7 in
    goblin 3 ft 7 in 3 ft 10 in 4 ft 1 in
    dwarf, hill 3 ft 10 in 4 ft 1 in 4 ft 4 in
    dwarf, mountain 4 ft 2 in 4 ft 5 in 4 ft 8 in
    elf, dark 4 ft 7 in 5 ft 0 in 5 ft 5 in
    kenku 4 ft 6 in 5 ft 1 in 5 ft 8 in
    elf, sea 4 ft 8 in 5 ft 3 in 5 ft 10 in
    elf, high 4 ft 8 in 5 ft 5 in 6 ft 2 in
    elf, wood 4 ft 8 in 5 ft 5 in 6 ft 2 in
    triton 4 ft 8 in 5 ft 5 in 6 ft 2 in
    shadar-kai 4 ft 10 in 5 ft 5 in 6 ft 0 in
    half-elf 4 ft 11 in 5 ft 6 in 6 ft 1 in
    tiefling 4 ft 11 in 5 ft 6 in 6 ft 1 in
    eladrin 4 ft 8 in 5 ft 7 in 6 ft 6 in
    aasimar 4 ft 10 in 5 ft 7 in 6 ft 4 in
    hobgoblin 4 ft 10 in 5 ft 7 in 6 ft 4 in
    human 4 ft 10 in 5 ft 7 in 6 ft 4 in
    yuan-ti pureblood 4 ft 10 in 5 ft 7 in 6 ft 4 in
    lizardfolk 4 ft 11 in 5 ft 8 in 6 ft 5 in
    half-orc 5 ft 0 in 5 ft 9 in 6 ft 6 in
    tabaxi 5 ft 0 in 5 ft 9 in 6 ft 6 in
    githzerai 5 ft 1 in 6 ft 0 in 6 ft 11 in
    githyanki 5 ft 2 in 6 ft 1 in 7 ft 0 in
    orc 5 ft 6 in 6 ft 1 in 6 ft 8 in
    dragonborn 5 ft 8 in 6 ft 3 in 6 ft 10 in
    bugbear 6 ft 2 in 7 ft 1 in 8 ft 0 in
    goliath 6 ft 4 in 7 ft 1 in 7 ft 10 in
    firbolg 6 ft 4 in 7 ft 3 in 8 ft 2 in

Are there any results you find surprising? I, personally, was surprised how tall bugbears are and how short orcs are in comparison. I always assumed they were roughly of equal stature (being the two "common" races with powerful build).
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-06-16 at 11:44 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Setting-Agnostic Race Height Chart: Minimum, Average, & Maximum Heights

The chart is a little clunky based on how wide it is, I had to reply with quote just to see it formatted in a readable fashion. But that being said, I'm actually most surprised at how tall goblins are. There's not much difference between them and hill dwarves... so it makes some sense just on that, for them to be base 30 speed. Kobolds being so tiny still doesn't make sense to me for their speed...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Setting-Agnostic Race Height Chart: Minimum, Average, & Maximum Heights

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    The chart is a little clunky based on how wide it is, I had to reply with quote just to see it formatted in a readable fashion.
    If you're on PC, you can right-click the image and open it in a new tab.

Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
    I personally was surprised how tall bugbears are, and how short orcs are in comparison.
    It's also bothered me for a while how small orcs are for a creature with powerful build. But that's probably because half-orcs are only slightly larger than humans, so they couldn't justify making full orcs goliath-sized. And the small size of half-orcs is because Wizards hadn't yet decided that orcs would have powerful build when they published the PHB.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I always thought that goblins and gnomes were smaller than halflings. I had the order as

Dwarf > halfling > gnome ~ goblin
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I personally was surprised how tall bugbears are, and how short orcs are in comparison. I always assumed they were roughly of equal stature (being the two "common" races with powerful build).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalliman View Post
    It's also bothered me for a while how small orcs are for a creature with powerful build. But that's probably because half-orcs are only slightly larger than humans, so they couldn't justify making full orcs goliath-sized. And the small size of half-orcs is because Wizards hadn't yet decided that orcs would have powerful build when they published the PHB.
    Orcs may not be very tall, but they are pretty wide compared to humans.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Orcs may not be very tall, but they are pretty wide compared to humans.
    You know what, despite the notable height difference, orcs (avg 238 lb.) aren't that much lighter than firbolgs (266 lb.) and goliaths (277 lb.). So yeah, they're really squat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I made a height chart
    You are about three editions behind. For AD&D 2e, thought, handy chart.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Nice to see a picture.

I always imagined gnomes were smaller than halfling and goblin were the same ht as halfling but scrawny. In my head cannon elves are smaller than humans. Orcs are thick, bugbear are lanky with serious reach, goliath are BIG and firbolg are just tall.

The surprise for me are the gith - I always imagined them a little smaller than human.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    You are about three editions behind.
    I'm not sure I get your point? These heights are calculated using the tables for height provided in the 5e PHB, VGM, and MTF. Why is this "three editions behind"?
    Goblin in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #10

I made a height chart displaying the minimum, average, and maximum heights of each race from setting-agnostic sources (Player's Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes). Are there any results you find surprising?

I personally was surprised how tall bugbears are, and how short orcs are in comparison. I always assumed they were roughly of equal stature (being the two "common" races with powerful build).
    WotC's next supplement will have "optional" rules that allow you to pick from any height / weight row in the table regardless of your actual race. WotC has also promised to "do better" and to avoid physically describing races in future products.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 03:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure I get your point? These heights are calculated using the tables for height provided in the 5e PHB, VGM, and MTF. Why is this "three editions behind"?
    I may not be remembering correctly, but I think that this has been done. Did you find something different from previous editions in the relative size and scale? (Maybe I should have said "I don't see anything new" rather than what I posted. Sorry about that).

@Max: What is a footie product? Last time I heard the term "footie" it was in reference to a brand of football, Australian rules. (It's been over 40 years since I've played that ... but I did get to watch some on ESPN a few decades ago)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-14 at 02:57 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #12

@Max: What is a footie product? Last time I heard the term "footie" it was in reference to a brand of football, Australian rules. (It's been over 40 years since I've played that ... but I did get to watch some on ESPN a few decades ago)
    It's a phone typo for "future". :) Fixed now, thanks.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-06-14 at 03:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

I made a height chart displaying the minimum, average, and maximum heights of each race from setting-agnostic sources (Player's Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes). Are there any results you find surprising?

I thought you messed up some of the heights until I realized Volo's contradicts itself, listing Goliath minimum height as both 7' and 6'4". Any chance you could re-do the chart with each listing's average height listed below the race names?

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    It's a phone typo for "future". :) Fixed now, thanks.
    I'm going to be absolutely honest, I wasn't sure why you were using some races in footie pajamas and others not. :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    I'm going to be absolutely honest, I wasn't sure why you were using some races in footie pajamas and others not. :)
    There's no arguing about taste.

16. - Top - End - #16

I may not be remembering correctly, but I think that this has been done. Did you find something different from previous editions in the relative size and scale? (Maybe I should have said "I don't see anything new" rather than what I posted. Sorry about that).
    Alright then: I guess my first thought is that it doesn't matter if it's been done before. If I want to retread a discussion, I'm pretty sure that's allowed on this forum. The fact that you can't remember leads me to believe this isn't exactly a tired topic. Secondly the question of other editions doesn't seem relevant to me, because this is a forum about 5e material. As far as 5e goes, I found these three examples of the same idea. If you absolutely must compare my work to anything, it should be these. The three examples are arguably prettier than mine because they use outlines of the races instead of pregenerated models, but mine is the most complete (tied with the third example for number of races) and offers additional information that they leave out. Those charts only list average height; you aren't informed that a githyanki can be taller than a dragonborn, for example. Thirdly, even if I were looking at older editions then my chart has merit because no other edition has had a consolidated chart like this for all of the races listed in mine. Tabaxi and firbolg haven't been player character races since 2nd edition, and dragonborn were introduced in 4E (which didn't have random height tables). All in all, I find your question needlessly dismissive of my post.

Regarding the discussion of this thread, are there any race heights you find surprising?

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    I thought you messed up some of the heights until I realized Volo's contradicts itself, listing Goliath minimum height as both 7' and 6'4". Any chance you could re-do the chart with each listing's average height listed below the race names?
    I will not redo the chart, because exact measurements were beside the point (that being relative scale), but I will edit the first post to include the raw data.
    Goblin in the Playground

17. - Top - End - #17

Regarding the discussion of this thread, are there any race heights you find surprising?
    I for one find 5E humans surprisingly short, which makes it even more surprising that Githzerai are surprisingly tall. I'm sure I'm being slightly misled by the relative beefiness of the images used (githzerai are more likely lanky than beefy) but it's still weird to me that apparently there aren't supposed to be any 6'6" humans in 5E? And the average height is what, 5'7"? For human males at least that is quite short, 2 inches shorter than the USA average. Ref: https://www.medicinenet.com/height_m...ight_worldwide

It's like they averaged male and female heights together and then assigned the results back to males and females equally.

I wonder if humans in 5E are sexually dimorphic w/rt height.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I for one find 5E humans surprisingly short, which makes it even more surprising that Githzerai are surprisingly tall. I'm sure I'm being slightly misled by the relative beefiness of the images used (githzerai are more likely lanky than beefy) but it's still weird to me that apparently there aren't supposed to be any 6'6" humans in 5E? And the average height is what, 5'7"? For human males at least that is quite short, 2 inches shorter than the USA average. Ref: https://www.medicinenet.com/height_m...ight_worldwide

It's like they averaged male and female heights together and then assigned the results back to males and females equally.

I wonder if humans in 5E are sexually dimorphic w/rt height.
    Modern US people are significantly taller than medieval (or even pre-industrial-revolution) people on average.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Modern US people are significantly taller than medieval (or even pre-industrial-revolution) people on average.
    Yes, but D&D food technology isn't medieval apparently, or every PC would have a whole bunch of siblings who died in childhood from illness + malnutrition. At minimum I bet they have crop rotation, and then stuff like Plant Growth, where available, increases yields further.

So there's no particular reason PCs should have medieval heights.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Goblins are too tall by at least 4 inches. 3-1/2 ft average seems about right.

Halflings are always too short for my tastes. I liked Tallfellow & Kender, 4ft average seemed about right.

I like WotC elf heights, BECMI / AD&Ds 5ft was a bit short.

Is there a way to fade out the heights, so short is the most solid, then average more translucent, and tallest the faintest? That'd make it easier to see what's going on.

Also this chart would be cool if it had width based on weight.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The picture, or more specifically the texts underneath each race, could use some more work; the font isn't particularly readable. It's chunky and badly pixelated, even when I opened it in it's real size.

Other than that, I'd say, good job! This does explain somewhat why they decided to make the formerly large races as medium instead. I mean, 7' to 8' tall humanoids are noticeably larger than humans for example.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-06-15 at 04:06 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #22

I would argue that 2 inches is not meaningfully shorter. Furthermore, you're comparing to a single country. As a counter example, it is the same as the average height for China (the most populous nation).
    That's probably not far off from what happened. Since 4E, WotC has been forgoing any real specifics for things relating to identity. They probably want to avoid anything even resembling the "women have a Strength penalty" style of "realism".
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Yes, but D&D food technology isn't medieval apparently, or every PC would have a whole bunch of siblings who died in childhood from illness + malnutrition. At minimum I bet they have crop rotation, and then stuff like Plant Growth, where available, increases yields further.

So there's no particular reason PCs should have medieval heights.
    Yeah, D&D has moved away from attempting to model the "medieval era" in any meaningful way. This is probably for the best, as the average player would probably be more confused if average heights were based on historical data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    The picture, or more specifically the texts underneath each race, could use some more work; the font isn't particularly readable. It's chunky and badly pixelated, even when I opened it in it's real size.

Other than that, I'd say, good job! This does explain somewhat why they decided to make the formerly large races as medium instead. I mean, 7' to 8' tall humanoids are noticeably larger than humans for example.
    The text was automatically generated by the height comparison tool. No races were ever playable at Large size (the firbolg is a corner case as they could technically be played in v3.0 but were not presented as a player race). I'm not really sure how your last sentence relates to the one before it?
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-06-21 at 04:01 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #23

No races were ever playable at Large size (the firbolg is a corner case as they could technically be played in v3.0 but were not presented as a player race).
    2nd edition, Dark Sun: thri-kreen and half-giants are both Large.

24. - Top - End - #24

None of the races currently presented in 5e were ever presented as Large size.
    Goblin in the Playground

25. - Top - End - #25

Yes, but you mentioned 3E so I thought you weren't just talking about 5E. My mistake.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

None? 2nd edition and earlier bugbear and 4th edition and earlier firbolg would disagree, as they *were* large before. Get your facts right.

And sheesh, can't you take even a slight compliment? I wasn't saying it's your fault that the text is smudgy. I only said it could use some work. By someone responsible. I couldn't possibly know whether it was you or someone else. I did not say specifically you should do it.

Other than that very small detail, the chart is nicely done. See, that's a compliment, not an insult.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-06-15 at 11:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

Aren't centaurs and minotaurs player races in 5e? Introduced via a MTG setting rather than a TSR/legacy one, but still. Both were Large in 3.5, and probably were in older editions as well.

There's nothing uniquely Ravnican about them, they're staple fantasy creatures sourced from ancient Greek mythology (and if the simple fact that they're published in a setting-specific book would disallow them from consideration then you've realistically got to ditch everything in Volo's).
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2021-06-16 at 01:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

None? 2nd edition and earlier bugbear and 4th edition and earlier firbolg would disagree, as they *were* large before. Get your facts right.
    Firbolg were not presented as player character races in v3.0, v3.5, or 4E. They were always presented in books about monsters. Yes, v3.0 listed a level adjustment for them (making them playable as I mentioned earlier) but that is a quirk of the system. Regarding 2nd Edition, the Complete Book of Humanoids is ambiguous about size. There is no listing for it in race descriptions. Both the bugbear and firbolg say that one of their special disadvantages was that they "take damage as large creatures". As a foreigner to the system, I can't tell if that means they are large or if it is a single trait like Powerful Build in 5e. I did some more digging and found bugbears and firbolgs in the Monstrous Manual, where they are indeed large size. That was an oversight on my part.
    This does explain somewhat why they decided to make the formerly large races as medium instead. I mean, 7' to 8' tall humanoids are noticeably larger than humans for example.
    I'm still unsure what you're saying with these two statements. They almost seem to contradict each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    Aren't centaurs and minotaurs player races in 5e? Introduced via a MTG setting rather than a TSR/legacy one, but still. Both were Large in 3.5, and probably were in older editions as well.

There's nothing uniquely Ravnican about them, they're staple fantasy creatures sourced from ancient Greek mythology (and if the simple fact that they're published in a setting-specific book would disallow them from consideration then you've realistically got to ditch everything in Volo's).
    The problem with that is one could make the argument that those racial traits only apply in those settings. After all, centaurs and minotaurs are present in setting-agnostic material (the Monster Manual), and the description there conflicts with those found in Ravnica and Theros. I would argue that the physiology and cultures outlined in those books are unique to those settings.
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-06-21 at 04:02 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #29

Firbolg were not presented as player character races in v3.0, v3.5, or 4E. They were always presented in books about monsters. Yes, v3.0 listed a level adjustment for them (making them playable as I mentioned earlier) but that is a quirk of the system. Regarding 2nd Edition, the Complete Book of Humanoids is ambiguous about size. There is no listing for it in race descriptions. Both the bugbear and firbolg say that one of their special disadvantages was that they "take damage as Large creatures". (A) As a foreigner to the system, I can't tell if that means they are Large or if it is a single trait like Powerful Build in 5e. I did some more digging and found bugbears and firbolgs in the Monstrous Manual, where they are indeed Large size. That was an oversight.
    (A) They take damage as "large creatures" not "Large creatures" because in TSR books, jargon is deemphasized, and anything bigger than human takes additional damage from two-handed swords and similar weapons. "Large creatures" includes Large/Huge/Gargantuan.

Spoiler: For Those Interested, Relevant Text From Complete Book of Humanoids
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

I did a quick edit to make the average heights stand out more.
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-06-16 at 11:45 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground