Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Results 331 to 347 of 347
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The idea of legally owning letters is still so wild to me.
    It was a European court that made the decision, IIRC. Nobody "owns" the letters, though, it's about trademark and business likeness rights. It'd be like if I opened up a theater in France called TF1, would I really be able to keep that name?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It was a European court that made the decision, IIRC. Nobody "owns" the letters, though, it's about trademark and business likeness rights. It'd be like if I opened up a theater in France called TF1, would I really be able to keep that name?
    I dunno, but I'd call it wild if you couldn't*, this isn't a country thing.


    *Assuming you didn't straight up call it "Télévision Française 1". Well, it'd be a terrible name for a theater.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I’d expect she’d lead with that then.
    Why, the paladins won't like that anyway, and she didn't trust them.

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I dunno, but I'd call it wild if you couldn't*, this isn't a country thing.


    *Assuming you didn't straight up call it "Télévision Française 1". Well, it'd be a terrible name for a theater.
    Sorry, that was just a quick googling. So, since I'm unfamiliar with it, for the sake of the analogy assume everyone refers to it as TF1. The website was TF1.com (or TF1.fr, or whatever the standard French domain is). And all their marketing was labeled with TF1. Commonly referred to as TF1. The broadcasting station was inextricably linked in the public mind to TF1. Maybe that's already the case, maybe not.

    Anlther TF1 company that wanted to use the TF1.fr and have TF1 as their main go-to would be pretty confusing, wouldn't it? And if the theater TF1 was, for example, only showing Interdit aux moins de 16 ans (or 18) live stage shows and Télévision Française 1 (in the public mind as TF1, mind you) was education focused, they would probably want to notably distance themselves at some point. And a very easy way to do that would be to say "hey you can't use that specific combination of letters that is very inextricably tied to our organization in thr public mind to try to inexplicably tie them to your organization in the public mind".

    Its not really a wild idea. It's (IMO) a very reasonable extension of trademark protection.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-22 at 03:58 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    I'd say what makes owing "WWF" seem wild is that its such a short series of letters that it affects accidents and the most straightforward expression of ideas.

    Basically all three letter combinations are used multiple times already. If one wants to be really clear about who they are/ aren't in all contexts, they should use a name with more than three letters.

    Like, there're places called "usa" in Japan, Russia, Germany, and Tanzia, because it's just such a short sequence of letters.
    Excuses and explanations are different.

    Sometimes when there can be no excuses we must look the hardest for explanations.

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I'd say what makes owing "WWF" seem wild is that its such a short series of letters that it affects accidents and the most straightforward expression of ideas.

    Basically all three letter combinations are used multiple times already. If one wants to be really clear about who they are/ aren't in all contexts, they should use a name with more than three letters.

    Like, there're places called "usa" in Japan, Russia, Germany, and Tanzia, because it's just such a short sequence of letters.
    They are very different companies and World Wildlife Fund didn't have a y contention originally based on that, and the likely lack of any confusion. What prompted their stance change, apparently, was a number of sexual abuse allegations and scandals in the World Wrestling Federation, and the Wildlife Fund did not want even that much association with the wrestling group anymore.

    Bytheway, Metaflower-because-i-cant-spell-your-real-name-offhand, finding out that was what changed my stance on the conservationists taking the acronym away from the wrestlers.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Swirly eyes in general mean enchantment magic, the shade of the swirlyness tends to be tied to the colour of the caster's magic.

    Nale, whose magic is yellow, produces yellow swirly eyes:

    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html

    Vampire Durkon, whose magic is red, produces red swirly eyes:

    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1122.html

    and so on.
    Who has orange though? I'm not as deep into the lore as some, but i remember one of the trio of evil skeletons or whatever they were was orange? any other character or monsters?

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    The talk with Serini wasn't just about explaining things to them, it was also about establishing to the audience how she thinks. If "I know about Redcloak's plan and I agree" was a part of it, that's a pretty big thing in establishing how she thinks.

    And going she plans on erasing their memories goes both ways - if you say she has not reason to tell them because she's going to make them forget anyway, then she has no reason not to tell them either. Or talk to them about anything at all, for that matter, but she still did.

    Point is, there's no reason to assume she's doing this for any more reasons than she's directly stated to people she has completely under her control and sees no reason to lie because they won't be remembering any of this anyway.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2021-06-23 at 12:32 AM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    smile Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    My favorite part in this is that Elan is really excited about his potential to cast Wish. I hope this is foreshadowing and he tries it again.
    I'm not a pixie! Why does this thing call me a pixie?!

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstar3014 View Post
    My favorite part in this is that Elan is really excited about his potential to cast Wish. I hope this is foreshadowing and he tries it again.
    Bards can’t cast Wish.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Bards can’t cast Wish.
    Well, they do typically pick the level 0 Wish....
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    What doesn't make sense to me is that, if the World Wildlife Fund was concerned with their trademark being associated with wrestling, they waited too long and the damage was already done. The WWF was so well known back then that I'll never not think of wrestling when I see those initials. So if they wanted to distance themselves, it would have made more sense to stop using an acronym or change their own name.

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    bunsen_h's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, they do typically pick the level 0 Wish....
    When you wish upon a star
    Makes no difference who you are...

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Has Elan never heard the expression "I have a bone to pick with you"? It seems like a pretty obvious pun for the situation.

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    Has Elan never heard the expression "I have a bone to pick with you"? It seems like a pretty obvious pun for the situation.
    If the pun isn’t good or the target doesn’t get it he apparently doesn’t get his Cha bonus to attack and that’s got to be the most cliche pun against a skeletal creature of all time.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    Has Elan never heard the expression "I have a bone to pick with you"? It seems like a pretty obvious pun for the situation.
    What situation?

    Do we have reason to believe the invisible lute thief is a skeleton?
    Excuses and explanations are different.

    Sometimes when there can be no excuses we must look the hardest for explanations.

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    What situation?

    Do we have reason to believe the invisible lute thief is a skeleton?
    Panel 2.10
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-24 at 10:12 AM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •