New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    I'm also glad Serini has made her move and we get some action.

It's a bit disappointing though that all the strips dedicated to explain how the portal trap works and setting it as the perfect ambush, with the order waiting for it to go off, seem to have been wasted without an obvious pay off.
    They may still use a version of this later in the book.

If and when they're united with the Paladins and their other new ally, they can all try it when X is tired from doing six dungeons in one day or whatever.

At some point they will need to fight X, and the portal trap will still be there in a different tunnel when that day comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The Portal Trap's purpose was to make the Order think they had an advantage, so they would stand around in one place Readying over and over to then be caught by Serini, instead of doing literally anything else with that prep time. So even if Serini's actions ruined their chances of getting the drop on Team Evil, I wouldn't agree that the trap did nothing.
    That too.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think Elan got Suggestioned since we didn't hear it, but it's absolutely plausible that he'd fail the save on it even if his Will save wasn't crappy to begin with. Telepathy, maybe?

And I like the idea even more since it suggests Serini's friend/ally Orange Voice (though it looks more brown here) is indeed a dragon after all (specifically, brass). Plus a dragon that loves to talk would be a perfect companion for someone the Scribblers knew as a chatterbox, and they have a sleep-gas* breath weapon.
    * - actually a "cone of sleep", but I'm fond of my possible-mistaken memory that at one point it was sleep gas

It's almost too perfect for Serini and Orange Voice incapacitating the Sticklers without a fight, after which they wake up next to the paladins and we can finally start resolving the Serini-doesn't-know-Team-Evil-can't-get-a-gate-because-she-wasn't-at-the-Godsmoot problem. Seriously, it fits so well that it makes me suspect it must be wrong.

Edit: Formatting
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-06-14 at 03:11 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Seriously, it fits so well that it makes me suspect it must be wrong.
    Yeah.
    I just walked through the strip again, and I like the small gag in panel 6 about a solo career. Missed that the first time through.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yeah.
    I just walked through the strip again, and I like the small gag in panel 6 about a solo career. Missed that the first time through.
    This comic actually makes me wonder if the Giant has some minor unresolved beef with someone who left a band too soon. (^_^)°

(Susanna Hoffs, looking at you (^_~) )

Edit: Or maybe he just finds it funny that other people do.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-06-14 at 03:19 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

For a minute there, I thought Elan's line about creative decisions was referring to the idea that it would be more dramatically-appropriate for him to recklessly run after his lute rather than advising it about its solo career.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW: My younger brother's band ran into that problem (man, that's been over 30 years ago ...) The 'one who left to start his own band' actually got married and started a family (a different kind of band, I suppose). In a way there's some humor involved. {and the leaver found out that he could not afford studio time by himself also ...}

My favorite 'more famous' version was Bill Wyman's Monkey Grip album.
    (And, ahem, Stone Alone) (Wyman was the original bass player for the Rolling Stones)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-06-14 at 03:59 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I thought "Wait... is Elan being possessed by Banjo?"

Then the Serini comments came in and I'm like "Oh... that makes so much more sense and isn't a Deus Ex Machina."
    If it makes you feel better, my first reaction was "Ack, is the comic actually going to validate my crackpot theory that Banjo is a fifth quiddity?!?!" before I figured out it's probably Serini.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-06-14 at 04:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

This comic actually makes me wonder if the Giant has some minor unresolved beef with someone who left a band too soon. (^_^)°

(Susanna Hoffs, looking at you (^_~) )

As someone with zero music playing experience, it seems like there is no non-dramatic way to leave a band; although that's probably because I only hear the most dramatic stories, dramatized stroies, or parodies of dramatized stories.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Ah, a new update! And the game is afoot! (No pun about halfling feet intended, mind you.)

I knew that 1235 seemed to be lulling us into an idle state. And thus, Serini begins her scheme.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Roy is on record saying that destroying Dorukan's gate was the correct decision even knowing that it was one of the pillars of reality, he destroyed Girard's gate solely to avoid a fight.
    No, Roy destroyed it because they had no way to keep it out of Tarquin's hands once they left the continent, and unlike Nale, Tarquin would see right through the double-bluff. Tarquin has an army. It would be suicide to try and fight him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Deathcab for Cutie
    Kings of Leon
    Hootie and the Blowfish
    Did you know there is a band called "Strings of Elegance" which is what I assumed Stings of Elan was?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

How long until Lutey becomes a deity on the order of Banjo, and provides a fifth quiddity?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    How long until Lutey becomes a deity on the order of Banjo, and provides a fifth quiddity?
    Infinity, for this 'verse. For another verse, who knows?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The real question is what the band is going to be called?
    • Lute Zeppelin
    • Deathcab for Lutey
    • Strings of Elan
    • Lutey and the Blowfish
    "Strings of Elan" is pretty inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    As someone with zero music playing experience, it seems like there is no non-dramatic way to leave a band; although that's probably because I only hear the most dramatic stories, dramatized stories, or parodies of dramatized stories.
    R.E.M. was pretty undramatic. Bill Berry left in 1996 after having an aneurysm on tour; even though the entire band had previously agreed that they would only go on with all four of them, Berry insisted the others continue. Then in 2011 they just mutually retired the band after 30 years together.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

It's a bit disappointing though that all the strips dedicated to explain how the portal trap works and setting it as the perfect ambush, with the order waiting for it to go off, seem to have been wasted without an obvious pay off.
    Setting up things that we all see coming in advance has never been the narrative approach of this strip.

The Order has been in the cave since December, and one has to wonder what all these intermediate strips are good for, if they're finally rushing into the cave anyway. It's very little in-time comic time, and I'm sure the compilation book will read with good rhythm; but waiting for it to refresh online is paaaainful, at least when some build-up doesn't lead anywhere, not directly
    I will not guess whether the build-up leads anywhere until we see where the strip goes.

If you predicted that Durkon would become a vampire,
    and if you knew in advance that Vaarsuvius would sell (or at least rent out) his/her soul,
    and if you were sure before he showed up that Elan's father was running the Empire of Blood,
    and if you were just waiting for Shojo to explain faking character growth to Belkar,
    then maybe you know enough to be sure that the build-up doesn't lead anywhere.

But if, like me, you have been surprised time after time, then wait to see what happens before you critique it for not happening.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Rich is driving.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

The team has come a long way.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Setting up things that we all see coming in advance has never been the narrative approach of this strip.

I will not guess whether the build-up leads anywhere until we see where the strip goes.

If you predicted that Durkon would become a vampire,
    and if you knew in advance that Vaarsuvius would sell (or at least rent out) his/her soul,
    and if you were sure before he showed up that Elan's father was running the Empire of Blood,
    and if you were just waiting for Shojo to explain faking character growth to Belkar,
    then maybe you know enough to be sure that the build-up doesn't lead anywhere.

But if, like me, you have been surprised time after time, then wait to see what happens before you critique it for not happening.

I'll also add that the trap was set 35 strips into the final book, so if you were expecting the trap to be used in the climactic fight of the whole series, you may have been off on your expectations of pacing, even after Elan more or less told you it was too soon.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Serini could be perfectly well versed in the lore and still disagree with Dorukan. The stance that the destruction of ANY gate is reckless regardless of how many still stand has merit.
    True though given how Dorukan and Lirian made the Gates to be with, perhaps they know something that can be done with them that the others don't understand besides the basic "don't let others get it".

Honestly, Serini is focusing on Xykon and not taking into account Redcloak, which is probably one of her blindspots.

19. - Top - End - #139

GreenSorcererElf

Speaking of what Scribblers know about Team Evil, did we ever learn how Soon knew not only about liches and phylacteries, but also specifically that Redcloak used Xykon's as his holy symbol? Because I don't see how anyone in the Sapphire Guard could have known that at that point, especially not a member who'd been dead since before Xykon even became a lich.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Speaking of what Scribblers know about Team Evil, did we ever learn how Soon knew not only about liches and phylacteries, but also specifically that Redcloak used Xykon's as his holy symbol? Because I don't see how anyone in the Sapphire Guard could have known that at that point, especially not a member who'd been dead since before Xykon even became a lich.
    Might be an epic level Paladin thing, sensing that a hideously corrupted soul was inside the Goblin's holy symbol?

Could also be a sort of "You Just Told Me" ploy: State your suspicion like it's an absolute fact, and let them confirm it for you. Risky, but can work with a strong Sense Motive. And the phylactery would likely give serious Evil vibes to Detect Evil.

21. - Top - End - #141

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That's not even my problem with her. She doesn't know about TDO.

My problem is that unless she skipped all the lore parts, she has to know the Snarl is capable of slaughtering gods effortlessly, and that the gods are willing to pull the plug on the world rather than risk that even without that knowledge.
    Assuming she is at sapphire guard level of Lore then no she doesn’t know that. She would think it’s still the 2nd world.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Assuming she is at sapphire guard level of Lore then no she doesn’t know that. She would think it’s still the 2nd world.
    Uh, that was the entire concern of the Scribblers besides the Snarl itself? Also, if Soon knew that the Snarl could kill gods then I have no idea why any of the others wouldn’t.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh hey, I somehow didn't see there was a new page when I checked this morning!

So, did Serini want them to all follow Elan, or not? She probably had a contingency for both possibilities.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Oh hey, I somehow didn't see there was a new page when I checked this morning!

So, did Serini want them to all follow Elan, or not? She probably had a contingency for both possibilities.
    I think she probably knows them well enough that they wouldn’t leave Elan. But she’d probably be an even bigger fool than I think she is if she didn’t prepare for it at all.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm waiting to see whether V is also following after Elan. They didn't comment on whether Elan should be chased, nor are they visible in any panel following, or preparing to follow, with the rest of the party.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I'm waiting to see whether V is also following after Elan. They didn't comment on whether Elan should be chased, nor are they visible in any panel following, or preparing to follow, with the rest of the party.
    ...mmm. Could just be the panel being too crowded and so V was left out for art reasons... but I could also totally see this being the IFCC expending their second, probably shorter, lien on V's soul/body. They're the most powerful and flexible member of the party, and a lot of Serini's tricks would be easy for V to counter.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

oh elan, awarenes about the plot and what ought to be important in that very moment doesn't give any bonusses to a will-save apparantly

edit: but I'm really glad you tried
    Last edited by a_flemish_guy; 2021-06-15 at 01:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

It's a super tiny detail, but I love how when Elan says "On the other hand," he literally swaps hands.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kamunami View Post
    It's a super tiny detail, but I love how when Elan says "On the other hand," he literally swaps hands.
    *facepalms* Oh my god.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Oh I know, I knew there was no chance of the ambush working as suggested and leading to the final confrontation with Xykon. (There was a chance that RedCloak appeared first and they had to confront him first instead of Xykon, which may make sense at this point in the story).

I will, I've certainly not been disappointed in the long run I was just expresing disillusion that we won't see how the magic trap resolves anytime soon; now it may take months before the struggle with Serini ends and we get back to the exit of the cave.