New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Chlorophyll and many other plant pigments degrade fairly quickly in the presence of light and oxygen, when they're not part of a living system. Green turns grungy brown. Some other plant pigments are more stable -- those used for dying fabric, for example.

When I was in my second summer working in a chem lab, IIRC, I extracted chlorophyll and a couple of flower colours into solvents to decorate my lab coat with. It seemed to work pretty well initially, but they all faded to brown really quickly.
    Had you considered turning your lab coat into a living system?

I once looked into making myself a lab coat with an old-school design, like early 20th century ish. Similar to Dr Horrible's. Did a good bit of research finding the actual material really good lab coats are made of. Can't remember the name of it, but I was damned impressed by its properties.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm sure it's been said before, but Roy's really grown as a leader.

And Elan as comic relief/Damsle in distress.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

3. - Top - End - #243

Chlorophyll and many other plant pigments degrade fairly quickly in the presence of light and oxygen, when they're not part of a living system. Green turns grungy brown. Some other plant pigments are more stable -- those used for dying fabric, for example.

When I was in my second summer working in a chem lab, IIRC, I extracted chlorophyll and a couple of flower colours into solvents to decorate my lab coat with. It seemed to work pretty well initially, but they all faded to brown really quickly.
    Thank you, that clicked a puzzle piece into place. Feel free to laugh, but I was bemused by the fact that the last leaf on an orchid I accidentally baked* is still green, although fading to brown -- I was extremely optimistically hoping that while the others had gone brown quickly, maybe the plant could be rescued if this one didn't die. (It stands to reason that it already has, it'll just take a little while for it to be obvious.)

* - Our practice moved to a much nicer location... but we didn't realize that with the angle of the building and less-reflective windows, on sunny warm days** temperatures can soar in the early-to-mid morning before anyone arrives.
    ** - Uncommon in the Pacific NW, but sometimes it happens. (^_~)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This is slightly off topic but do you think that Belkar's skills in the culinary arts would allow him to create masterpieces on Serini's alchemy cauldron?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenfunkman View Post
    This is slightly off topic but do you think that Belkar's skills in the culinary arts would allow him to create masterpieces on Serini's alchemy cauldron?
    The fire in a pottery kiln does not a fried egg make. I suspect it’d be the same with that.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The fire in a pottery kiln does not a fried egg make. I suspect it’d be the same with that.
    I dont know... He made a passable stew once with scavenged veggies from a battlefield, some buzzard, and (probably) some goblin bits.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    I dont know... He made a passable stew once with scavenged veggies from a battlefield, some buzzard, and (probably) some goblin bits.
    Considering the MitD is willing to call dibs on a moldy cheeseburger and was eating fat-free scones, I'm not inclined to consider his tastes to be accurate guidelines.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I guess that's possible in principle, but I don't see any reason for an alchemy cauldron to be so much worse in any aspect than a regular cauldron; much like you can definitely cook in a standardly equipped chemistry lab, it's just inefficient.

As long as alchemy frequently involves not burning stuff, heating stuff, and control over the temperature and time, and cleanliness/purity of ingredients: you have the tools you need.

Cooking is just chemistry with edible stuff.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2021-06-17 at 04:13 PM.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Had you considered turning your lab coat into a living system?
    I can't see how that could go wrong.

"New from Muppet Labs, Where the Future is Being Made Today! Living clothing! It's warm, it's comfortable, it's... uh, Beaker, I think that lab coat is a bit long for you. The sleeves are going past your hands, and the collar is starting to go over your head. Oh, dear..." [*grumf grumf*]

See also: the "cat blanket" from the Vorkosiverse.

I once looked into making myself a lab coat with an old-school design, like early 20th century ish. Similar to Dr Horrible's. Did a good bit of research finding the actual material really good lab coats are made of. Can't remember the name of it, but I was damned impressed by its properties.
    Of the four lab coats in our house -- two are mine, two my wife's -- three are labelled with their ingredients: polyester/cotton. One of those is also labelled "post cured". I don't know if they're "really good lab coats". From a bit of searching on line to find out what the "post cured" means, I get the impression that the fabric material is originally spun as plain cotton. Then either before or after weaving, that's impregnated with polyester resin and "cured" at around 100'C for about an hour -- which sets the resin -- then "post cured" at around 80'C for about 12 hours, which presumably makes it still more stable. This gives the fabric the strength of the cotton, and adds the chemical resistance of fully-cured polyester, completely protecting the cotton. There aren't a lot of reagents that would chew through that quickly, so one would have a decent chance of getting the lab coat off before the chemical got to one's clothing, or oneself. Regular polyester/cotton blends -- I think -- are spun into thread out of a combination of the two fibres, so there isn't the effect of the two materials protecting each other.

Back when I was a lab TA for first-year university students, a major part of the "your first day in a chemistry lab" orientation was the safety stuff: knowing the locations of fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, emergency showers, and such. The importance of wearing a lab coat and safety goggles or side shields any time one was around chemicals, because even if you weren't working with them, your neighbour might be, or there might be some unexpected reaction waiting to happen from a mistake that someone had made sometime previously. "Because some of the chemicals you'll be working with, and some of the things just sitting out on your bench at all times -- you see those bottles on the little stands in the middle of the benches? -- can hurt you pretty badly. If you get them on you, wash them off immediately. If you spill one of them on your lab coat, take it off right away. If you think something nasty has gotten into your clothing, or you get a bad spill on your skin, get under the safety shower, yank the lever, and get your clothes off. I'm not trying to be crude here, and I'm not joking about this. Which is worse, a bit of embarrassment, or permanent scarring? I personally would prefer that you not get injured; the paperwork is a pain."

10. - Top - End - #250

I can't see how that could go wrong. .
    Think of it, you could be the father of a whole new field of science!

Of the four lab coats in our house -- two are mine, two my wife's -- three are labelled with their ingredients: polyester/cotton. One of those is also labelled "post cured". I don't know if they're "really good lab coats". From a bit of searching on line to find out what the "post cured" means, I get the impression that the fabric material is originally spun as plain cotton. Then either before or after weaving, that's impregnated with polyester resin and "cured" at around 100'C for about an hour -- which sets the resin -- then "post cured" at around 80'C for about 12 hours, which presumably makes it still more stable. This gives the fabric the strength of the cotton, and adds the chemical resistance of fully-cured polyester, completely protecting the cotton. There aren't a lot of reagents that would chew through that quickly, so one would have a decent chance of getting the lab coat off before the chemical got to one's clothing, or oneself. Regular polyester/cotton blends -- I think -- are spun into thread out of a combination of the two fibres, so there isn't the effect of the two materials protecting each other.

Back when I was a lab TA for first-year university students, a major part of the "your first day in a chemistry lab" orientation was the safety stuff: knowing the locations of fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, emergency showers, and such. The importance of wearing a lab coat and safety goggles or side shields any time one was around chemicals, because even if you weren't working with them, your neighbour might be, or there might be some unexpected reaction waiting to happen from a mistake that someone had made sometime previously. "Because some of the chemicals you'll be working with, and some of the things just sitting out on your bench at all times -- you see those bottles on the little stands in the middle of the benches? -- can hurt you pretty badly. If you get them on you, wash them off immediately. If you spill one of them on your lab coat, take it off right away. If you think something nasty has gotten into your clothing, or you get a bad spill on your skin, get under the safety shower, yank the lever, and get your clothes off. I'm not trying to be crude here, and I'm not joking about this. Which is worse, a bit of embarrassment, or permanent scarring? I personally would prefer that you not get injured; the paperwork is a pain."
    Thanks to a bit better Googling and some help from MIT, I found the material again. Nomex. Synthetic, has excellent heat, chemical, and radiation resistance.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I guess that's possible in principle, but I don't see any reason for an alchemy cauldron to be so much worse in any aspect than a regular cauldron; much like you can definitely cook in a standardly equipped chemistry lab, it's just inefficient.

As long as alchemy frequently involves not burning stuff, heating stuff, and control over the temperature and time, and cleanliness/purity of ingredients: you're have the tools you need.

Cooking is just chemistry with edible stuff.
    It's probably still inefficient though.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #252

Thanks to a bit better Googling and some help from MIT, I found the material again. Nomex. Synthetic, has excellent heat, chemical, and radiation resistance.
    Hmm. Excellent heat resistance, and resistant to most organic solvents. But not at all good against concentrated acids, bases, and salts, so it would depend on the hazards one anticipates from where it's being used. I don't think that I've ever been in a situation where a lab coat would have been useful in protecting me from high temperatures, but things like concentrated acids and bases were pretty common. On the other hand, I've been around several lab fires (one or two of which were my fault), so burn resistance could have been important if things had turned out differently. There was one incident where having a heat/burn-resistant lab coat might have been useful only to the extent of saving the lab coat, if I'd been unlucky.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Excellent heat resistance, and resistant to most organic solvents. But not at all good against concentrated acids, bases, and salts, so it would depend on the hazards one anticipates from where it's being used. I don't think that I've ever been in a situation where a lab coat would have been useful in protecting me from high temperatures, but things like concentrated acids and bases were pretty common. On the other hand, I've been around several lab fires (one or two of which were my fault), so burn resistance could have been important if things had turned out differently. There was one incident where having a heat/burn-resistant lab coat might have been useful only to the extent of saving the lab coat, if I'd been unlucky.
    So we're thinking....what, alternating layers of Nomex and some sort of buffer solution gel?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    an orchid I accidentally baked
    [With an appropriately abject abhorrence.] You are a monster!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Nomex. Synthetic, has excellent heat, chemical, and radiation resistance.
    Not surprising as I recall when Dupont developed Nomex to make driving and safety suits for auto racing. I raced before the days of racing suits, and I know how much drivers and crews were happy to see this safety advancement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So we're thinking....what, alternating layers of Nomex and some sort of buffer solution gel?
    Two fabric layers -- one of Nomex, the other of the polyester-impregnated cotton. The Nomex one does heat resistance, and also tear resistance; it's related to Kevlar. The polyester/cotton is resistant to acids and bases. Both of them are good against organic solvents.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-06-17 at 05:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorne View Post
    Not surprising as I recall when Dupont developed Nomex to make driving and safety suits for auto racing. I raced before the days of racing suits, and I know how much drivers and crews were happy to see this safety advancement.
    See also military issue flight suits. They were already Nomex when I started, I think the change came in the 60's. Nomex is a flash retardant; calling it 'fire resistant' may be a slight overstatement.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    It could also be that all the bacteria and things that cause rotting are also dead, in which case the planet would remain green without anything green growing recently.
    I repeat: "That's usually an indication of life." [Emphasis added.]

Finding an exception does not refute my statement.

More importantly, if the author deliberately added large green areas on a globe, which is more likely? That he intended to show that all the bacteria and things that cause rotting are also dead, or that he intended to show that life exists there?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

Heyo, just finally caught up with the comic after reading it for the first time a few weeks ago, anyone else wondering why our half of a halfling hasn't seemed to memory wipe Ochul and Lien before going to take out the order? (Also seems like that wand she has in issue 1229 was a wand of spell storing? Maybe with some charm spells and telekinesis? or are there magic options for rogues?)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tecatin View Post
    Heyo, just finally caught up with the comic after reading it for the first time a few weeks ago, anyone else wondering why our half of a halfling hasn't seemed to memory wipe Ochul and Lien before going to take out the order? (Also seems like that wand she has in issue 1229 was a wand of spell storing? Maybe with some charm spells and telekinesis? or are there magic options for rogues?)
    Presumably Serini's conversation with Lien happened at the same time as Roy's conversation with Durkon.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #261

HalflingRogueGuy

anyone else wondering why our half of a halfling hasn't seemed to memory wipe Ochul and Lien before going to take out the order?
    Maybe the potion takes a few days to brew?

Or maybe Serini just isn’t very organized. She’s spent her whole life wandering around and going in adventures. She’s never had to write and follow a to-do list.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Maybe the potion takes a few days to brew?

Or maybe Serini just isn’t very organized. She’s spent her whole life wandering around and going in adventures. She’s never had to write and follow a to-do list.
    Oh wait, the question was about why she didn't make Lien and O-chul drink it before she left.

I'm assuming she either wants to do it all in one sitting, or the actual potion takes some time to brew and she'll leave them all shackled and put a "scrabble piece of Antimagic Field" on Durkon and V.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh wait, the question was about why she didn't make Lien and O-chul drink it before she left.

I'm assuming she either wants to do it all in one sitting, or the actual potion takes some time to brew and she'll leave them all shackled and put a "scrabble piece of Antimagic Field" on Durkon and V.
    That would make sense (although I'd argue its dangerous as leaving a bunch of people in one place gives them a chance to plan) and I'm eager to see how it plays out. Wonder if Roy's sword ends up getting them out of there in the case of an antimagic field, seeing as he was able to get through that force field the high priest conjured, or they can convince her to give them one last shot at stopping Xykon.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

That would make sense (although I'd argue its dangerous as leaving a bunch of people in one place gives them a chance to plan) and I'm eager to see how it plays out. Wonder if Roy's sword ends up getting them out of there in the case of an antimagic field, seeing as he was able to get through that force field the high priest conjured, or they can convince her to give them one last shot at stopping Xykon.
    That was an Antilife Shell, which stops living things. It has no impact on magic, unless it's a spell that flings leaves or something.
    Though I don't think an anti-magic field would stop the sword from existing, whether or not its enchantments are affected.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I just think she wants to take down the Order quickly before they do anything she can’t hide from Team Evil.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My take is that she want to feed them with the potion, and then abandon them immediately, far away in the wasteland.

This way, when the effects of the potion wear off, they'd be disoriented but think that they've explored everything. But that wouldn't work if the potion wears off while they're still chained in that room.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    My take is that she want to feed them with the potion, and then abandon them immediately, far away in the wasteland.

This way, when the effects of the potion wear off, they'd be disoriented but think that they've explored everything. But that wouldn't work if the potion wears off while they're still chained in that room.
    Right, and she probably wants the Order neutralized as soon as possible to reduce their odds of messing it up.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I suspect that if she tries pointing out their mistakes, someone is gonna figure out how Xykon even knows about them and will turn it on her.

I suspect it will be Belkar who does it.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    I suspect that if she tries pointing out their mistakes, someone is gonna figure out how Xykon even knows about them and will turn it on her.

I don't see how "you weren't avle to fight Xykon" is going to help convince her that Xykon must be fought.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post

I would be very surprised if anyone in the Order, who have zero knowledge of Serini's diary, manage to deduce that Xykon learned of the other gates by reading Serini's diary.

Least of all Belkar.