New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Orange-voice: a minimitd?

Just a random thought, but what if we ran a 'what monster is Orange-voice?' thread in the same vein as the MitD thread?
    (caveat: I'm aware there will be tons of baseless speculation and wild flailing)
    In his first unappearance, Orange was subservient to Green but in a friendly manner. I also feel like the way the paladins and their weapons were carried was a hint to it having multiple arms.
    The latest comic, if it turns out to be Orange-voice behind it, shows it has a way of moving attended objects by magic (telekinesis, mages hand, animate objects) and a charm spell/SLA, probably suggestion.
    Any candidates? (I'm aware this might be short lived as Orange-voice will probably be unveiled on the next few strips) my first thought was a Ravid, but I was misremembering virtually everything about Ravids when I thought that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Orange-voice: a minimitd?

An awakened mithryl coat rack.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    An awakened mithryl coat rack.
    Possibly even a teapot.

Perhaps a normal everyday person, turned into an animated teapot, like in a horror movie.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-06-14 at 05:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

For a second I thought this read "Orange-voice: a mimir?"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Could be fun to speculate while it lasts!

Two notes
    1. The charm ability is non verbal, so I guess its an SLA, not a spell - otherwise the others could hear the creature
    2. The second point is that it doesnt have to use telekinesis in order to take the lute - good old fashioned hands would do. It has already been established that orange voice is capable of turning invisible (and also lifting paladins in the air), so it could just sneak behind the group, grab Elan's lute and run
    3. Also, I would speculate orange voice has some sort of familiarity with the order, but not a close/recent one - it knows enough to understand that it is feasible that Elan would chase his lute into the dungeon, but not enough to know that this is not the case anymore, and that Elan matured at least a little bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Problem is, because of the invisibility, we've got literally nothing concrete to go on. The magic? Could be wands or other artifacts. The seeming multiple limbs? Could be several individuals. We don't even know it's not Serini herself acting in the latest strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    2. The second point is that it doesnt have to use telekinesis in order to take the lute - good old fashioned hands would do. It has already been established that orange voice is capable of turning invisible (and also lifting paladins in the air), so it could just sneak behind the group, grab Elan's lute and run.
    Lutey is glowing in the second panel.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    For a second I thought this read "Orange-voice: a mimir?"
    Two mimir
    Spoiler
    Show
    ungelic is us

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

I say human.

9. - Top - End - #9

I've made the guess elsewhere (though I'm not the first), but just for the record: Brass or copper dragon, with brass looking more likely.

Dragon in general: Matches up with easily carrying Lien and O-Chul and their gear, with them being dangled at a distance apart that suggests a large creature. Plus the ability to carry Serini as she darts them, then fly them off of their perch without leaving tracks.

Brass dragons love to talk, which would make one a good companion for someone the Scribblers implied was a chatterbox. Plus they have suggestion once/day, and a sleep-gas breath weapon that would be perfect for helping Serini subdue the Order without harming them. And although it's not necessary, a great wyrm could have summoned a djinn to help carry O-Chul and Lien. Con: They prefer warm deserts, although they do have endure elements.

Copper dragons love wit and humor, which still seems to be in keeping with Serini's temperament despite what happened to her. Plus, getting Elan to chase Lutey almost feels like a prank. Con: They prefer warm hills.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seems plausible. The con also mostly seems to apply to if you imagine that she befriended it here in the north, though I guess even that could be answered by it perhaps having been part of the defense of the gate. But if she befriended it elsewhere it could easily have then travelled with her to a place it might not typically have chosen for its abode.

11. - Top - End - #11

You know what? I like a good longshot.

Kraagor.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? I like a good longshot.

Kraagor.
    Why would he call Serini "Boss", though? And how did he get coloured speech balloons?
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Why would he call Serini "Boss", though? And how did he get coloured speech balloons?
    Both major issues; plus if he actually came back from the rift and is changed because of that, it'd probably be a deep purple or something. Not to mention Kraagor's speaking style in the crayon comics has barbarian text, and the orange fits other things more.
    It's not, like, impossible? But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-16 at 02:50 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #14

Oh, there's zero backing for this.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.
    Copper or bronze isn't impossible either, but otherwise HELL YES.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Why would he call Serini "Boss", though?
    Tables have turned, he's working for her now.

And how did he get coloured speech balloons?
    Same way Serini got hers.

17. - Top - End - #17

Both major issues; plus if he actually came back from the rift and is changed because of that, it'd probably be a deep purple or something. Not to mention Kraagor's speaking style in the crayon comics has barbarian text, and the orange fits other things more.
    It's not, like, impossible? But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.
    I hadn't considered the possibility of half-dragon rather than dragon, but it's interesting... what advantages would there be for it?
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    I hadn't considered the possibility of half-dragon rather than dragon, but it's interesting... what advantages would there be for it?
    Claws that it can definitely grab stuff with; doesn't have to get uncomfortably large to be sufficiently powerful; makes slapping character levels on easier, that kind of stuff. I wouldn't readily exclude full dragon either, nevertheless.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    I don't think an adult full dragon would fit in the tunnel Elan is running into.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardfolk

I don't think an adult full dragon would fit in the tunnel Elan is running into.
    I thought all metallic dragons had alter self as an SLA?
    Edit: only gold and silver dragons have a supernatural alternate form. I'm getting mixed up with a homebrew campaign I ran where *all* dragons had that ability as it didn't make sense to me why only the two Lawful Good Dragons would have such an ability.
    So... Half Brass Dragon Gold Dragon?
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-06-16 at 04:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I thought all metallic dragons had alter self as an SLA?
    Edit: only gold and silver dragons have a supernatural alternate form. I'm getting mixed up with a homebrew campaign I ran where *all* dragons had that ability as it didn't make sense to me why only the two Lawful Good Dragons would have such an ability.
    So... Half Brass Dragon Gold Dragon?
    Why yes, Silver Dragons are the best!

Also, gonna say again I totally don't believe it's gonna be a dragon.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A mimic. It's not picking them up with multiple limbs, it's just sticking them to different parts of its body.

(Joking, I misread the title at first.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Good Coyote View Post
    A mimic. It's not picking them up with multiple limbs, it's just sticking them to different parts of its body.

(Joking, I misread the title at first.)
    A minimimic? I always preferred the idea of a megamimic; at Huge size, that makes a mimic the size of a reasonably sized shed, or a bathroom to a council house, or a confessional.

24. - Top - End - #24

Also, gonna say again I totally don't believe it's gonna be a dragon.
    And why is that, o mighty dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    A minimimic? I always preferred the idea of a megamimic; at Huge size, that makes a mimic the size of a reasonably sized shed, or a bathroom to a council house, or a confessional.
    Well, that sounds awfully convenient.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    And why is that, o mighty dragon?
    Dragons, even good ones, are fairly haughty and typically consider themselves the apex species. Coupled with the standard fabulous wealth of a dragon makes it unlikely (though I'll admit not impossible) for one to be subservient to a mere halfling rogue, epic though she may be. Also, I don't really see much utility in having a dragon here; either it would be against the order, in which case we've already had three; with the order, which would be massively punching above their weight class and thus significantly lessening their contributions; or neutral, in which case being a dragon is entirely superfluous and It may as well be anything else. Each case individually makes me suspect that a dragon is unlikely, but it can for the most part be nutshelled up by saying that IMO that well had been tapped dry.

Not that I have anything against dragons being used in unorthodox methods. I wrote a desert adventure where the boss was a brass dragon, and the encounter was basically role-playing your way past him rather than fighting past him. I just don't think that's going to be the case here.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-17 at 02:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Dragons, even good ones, are fairly haughty and typically consider themselves the apex species. Coupled with the standard fabulous wealth of a dragon makes it unlikely (though I'll admit not impossible) for one to be subservient to a mere halfling rogue, epic though she may be. Also, I don't really see much utility in having a dragon here; either it would be against the order, in which case we've already had three; with the order, which would be massively punching above their weight class and thus significantly lessening their contributions; or neutral, in which case being a dragon is entirely superfluous and It may as well be anything else. Each case individually makes me suspect that a dragon is unlikely, but it can for the most part be nutshelled up by saying that IMO that well had been tapped dry.

Not that I have anything against dragons being used in unorthodox methods. I wrote a desert adventure where the boss was a brass dragon, and the encounter was basically role-playing your way past him rather than fighting past him. I just don't think that's going to be the case here.
    That's halfway fair, I'll give you that. Should I take that you are more open to half-dragons, then? Those don't really have any of the issues you listed there.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's halfway fair, I'll give you that. Should I take that you are more open to half-dragons, then? Those don't really have any of the issues you listed there.
    Yes. My only objection is to dragons ("objection" isn't really a good term here, but you know what I mean").

28. - Top - End - #28

I'm going to say it's an ogre, either an ogre mage (has charm person as an SLA and a natural fly speed), or just an ogre with class levels that give it comparable abilities.

I base this on absolutely nothing but the fact that ogres are sort of like goblinoids in that they're typically seen as "evil" despite being a sentient mortal race, and it would be interesting to have one of those on the side of good for a change.

Why is their speech bubble orange? Magic.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-06-18 at 02:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I'm going to say it's an ogre, either an ogre mage (has charm person as an SLA
    Whatever hit Elan, it looks more like a Suggestion.

and a natural fly speed),
    I'd argued before that Orange is likely to have wings (the wind moving Lien's cloak in Wait and See keeps changing its direction).

or just an ogre with class levels that give it comparable abilities.

I base this on absolutely nothing but the fact that ogres are sort of like goblinoids in that they're typically seen as "evil" despite being a sentient mortal race, and it would be interesting to have one of those on the side of good for a change.
    I personally like the idea of another half-dragon ogre.

Why is their speech bubble orange?
    Half-dragon of appropriate colour metal?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I am going to (once again) play the Half-dragon Troll card.

Troll is fitting because of Serini. The half-dragon troll was buried which shouldn't kill a troll. The dwarves live relative close to the gate. There is something here.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build